Categories > Anime/Manga > Attack on Titan > Mine

Chapter Sixteen

by CaptainRiren 1 review

The ocean and end.

Category: Attack on Titan - Rating: R - Genres: Angst,Horror,Romance - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2018-07-06 - 2960 words - Complete

1Ambiance
"What the hell is that?"

When Eren first heard the words, he had no idea just how strongly they would impact the rest of his short life. Didn't know of the horrible things that were about to come. Was unaware of how his life was about to be turned upside down. Levi was sheathing his swords and bracing his feet on the tree he was latched into, staring off in the distance while the newest cadets halted in their training. Eren tried harder to focus on what he was seeing.

"People?" he murmured, furrowing his brows.

"A lot of them," one of the cadets commented, a girl with long brown hair braided over her shoulder. She frowned, latching onto a tree on the outskirts of the forest to get a closer look. "It's the Military Police."

"Are they coming to appoint a new Commander?" another cadet asked hopefully.

Levi's face hardened and set as he caught a better look at the horde of soldiers walking down the path. "Somehow I don't think so," he muttered. Suddenly he snapped into action, barking out orders. "All of you, gather your gear and go back to headquarters! I'll take care of this. No matter what you hear or see, do not come outside, am I clear?"

Eren was ready to question him, but he paused. The cadets didn't need to see Humanity's Hope and Humanity's Strongest arguing over the best course of action. They had to agree, then disagree in private. "Listen to Captain Levi. Make sure everyone else knows to stay in as well."

The cadets hastened to obey, and Eren hooked into the tree beside Levi, opening his mouth to ask him what happened. That was when he saw it. Blades at the ready, steps quick and hurried, the MPs were clearly not there to drink tea and talk politics. They were a hostile force, and the realization made his stomach drop.

"Shit," he cursed quietly. "What do they want?"

Levi was silent, grabbing Eren's hand a pressing a gentle kiss to the palm. That only worried him further. What was he thinking?

"They must be here for us."

Everything was silent. For several moments, the world stopped. Then Eren was doing his best not to sound as hysterical as he felt, nearly crushing his lover's hand as he gripped it like a lifeline.

"What do you mean? They can't be. There's no way they could know. There's no way..."

But then his breath hitched. Levi was staring him in the eyes with the sort of helpless, serene calm that Erwin had when he knew he was going to die, and suddenly Eren remembered, and Levi knew.

"You didn't kill him, did you?"

"I... I'd hoped..."

"You thought a titan would get him. You thought you wouldn't have to kill him."

"I couldn't kill him, Levi." Tears were spilling over and falling to the forest floor below. He was so stupid. He'd made a mistake, and Levi was going to have to pay for it. "I'm so sorry Levi, I'm sorry, god I fucked up and I'm sorry -"

"I don't resent you for it, Eren." Levi's voice was gentle, resigned, but still held so much love it made Eren's chest ache. "This was bound to happen sooner or later anyways."

"B-But our dream - we were going to go see the ocean - together, remember?"

Levi looked ready to cry himself, but he schooled his face into a mask of emptiness and shook his head. "It was a naïve dream. It never could have come true. It... it was just an illusion we created for ourselves."

"Don't say that," Eren pleaded. "We can still make it. We can escape from this alive. Please, Levi. For me?"

Levi didn't respond, and everything was turning into static in Eren's ears, the edges of his vision blurring. Just as the raven opened his mouth to say something, a different voice reached them, one that both of them hated so dearly. A voice that meant their demise.

"Captain Levi! You are required by law to come to us peacefully, both of you!"

Levi didn't fight it, landing gracefully on his feet with Eren right behind him. They faced the Military Police commander with lowered gazes, the captain silent and shifter trying not to cry. Nile Dawk signaled for his men to surround them, and Eren reached for Levi's hand again, biting his lip hard as he tried to keep himself grounded. A gun poked harshly at his back, and Levi jerked Eren away from the offending item as Nile's voice rang out.

"If you turn titan, we'll kill you in an instant," he warned, and Eren realized how close he was to drawing blood. He forced himself to release his lip, squeezing his eyes shut instead. "Hands where we can see them, you sick bastard," Nile directed at the captain, and Levi raised his hands slowly, lifting his gaze to glare harshly at Nile, making the man squirm under his stare. "Hands separated, or we'll shoot you both."

Eren let out a muffled whimper when Levi untangled their fingers obediently, and he did his best not to break down on the spot. Fear coursed through his veins, raw and vicious and stronger than he'd ever felt before. Everything hurt. His chest was hollow and aching, and his jaw hurt from where he was clenching it. The gun pressed into his lower back again, and he squeezed his eyes shut, trying not to let the tears fall. If they shot him now, he would either turn titan and be annihilated, or he would writhe around on the ground and bleed to death, in unbearable agony.

"Care to tell us what we're accused of?" Levi spat venomously, a spark of remaining defiance flaring at the mistreatment of his lover. "You are required by law to list off charges."

"Captain Levi has been charged with murdering Reiner Braun, Bertholdt Hoover, Jean Kirstein, Hanji Zoe, Moblit Berner, Krista Lenz, and Ymir."

The voice that answered them was not Nile's, and the two at gunpoint found their blood running cold. The crowd of soldiers were parting before them, and a familiar face was approaching. Eren felt his heart stop, or perhaps it was beating so rapidly he couldn't tell it was beating at all.

"He has also been accused of murdering Erwin Smith, Mike Zacharius, Connie Springer, Sasha Braus, and Mikasa Ackerman." Armin's voice wavered towards the end and Eren could see the effort he was putting forth to not cry. "Eren Jaeger has been accused as an accomplice and enabler. You are to show at a military courtesy trial, in which we will decide whether to imprison Levi for life or give the death sentence, and determine whether Eren Jaeger is guilty and what his sentence shall be."

"Armin." Eren hadn't realized his mouth and throat were so dry, and it hurt to speak. The tears somehow managed not to fall, but they were there, choking him up and making speech difficult. "Armin... you... you're alive."

Nile nudged the small blond meaningfully, raising his eyebrows, and Armin nodded quietly in response. "Eren," he started softly, "I can get you out of this. Please, Eren, just plead innocent. We can get charges dropped. You were threatened."

"But I'm not innocent," Eren croaked, and Levi's head whipped around, eyes boring into him. "Armin, I let it all happen..."

"He pleads guilty," Nile said coldly, but Armin took a step forward, tears threatening to spill over.

"No, Nile, please! He - he hasn't done anything!"

"He admitted to it, Arlert! Stand down!"

"He has Stockholm, sir, he's deluded by his feelings -"

"No, Armin!"

Eren interrupted them in a hoarse shout, but Levi didn't let him say any more. A twisted grin was settling on his lips, but Eren could see the raw fear in his eyes, the wild desperation even as he spoke in a manic hysteria.

"Blondie's right," he said, taking a step closer to Nile, and instantly a dozen or more guns were pointed at him. Levi seemed unfazed even as Eren wanted to scream. "I killed them. All of them! Jaeger was just a pawn, a shield to hide behind! I have him wrapped around my little finger." The words stung, but they were supposed to. "He's done nothing wrong. Let him go."

"Levi, no!" Eren nearly shrieked. "I did it too! Don't try to shoulder it all, Levi, god, please -"

"Let him go!" Levi screamed, an inhuman noise, even as Eren tried to deny his claims.

"No! Don't listen to him! I'm a murderer, kill me too, take me away!"

"Arlert, you told me -"

"Sir, he can't be a killer, he's trying to fool us, I promise -"

Levi was coming closer and closer to Nile, and Eren saw his finger curl around the trigger of the gun. Saw the decision made in those cruel eyes. Saw the unwavering resolve. It all played in slow motion, and Eren knew without a doubt that his lover was about to die.

"Levi!"

"Don't shoot!"

"Get back here!"

All Eren knew was he was pushing Levi out of the way, and then there was a loud crack and excruciating pain exploded in his abdomen. He barely registered a scream and several gasps, and then loud shouting, demands. Who was saying what, he didn't know. All he could do was curl up in agony on the ground, hoarse sobs and whimpers escaping him, so pathetic he didn't recognize them as his own. Strong arms were wrapping around him, turning him on his back. Gentle hands held his own, which were shielding the source of the pain.

"Step away from him, Levi!"

"We will shoot!"

"Eren, oh god, Eren..."

The only voice that mattered was Levi's, because had he ever heard that tone come from the captain? Eren couldn't dwell on it very well. He was still letting out the pitiful noises. He felt like his gut was on fire, or something was digging away at it, something with vicious claws and teeth. His hands were warm and wet and sticky, but it wasn't computing.

"L-Levi - can't - h-hurts-!"

"Shh, Eren, I know." That voice he loved so much was practically a whimper as well, trembling and hitching just as much as Eren's own. Men were shouting all around them, ordering Levi to back away from him, but Levi was ignoring them. He tried to move the brunet's hands, only to earn a loud cry and whimper. "God, Eren, I know it hurts. Look at me, please, open your eyes and look at me."

Eren had never heard Levi beg like that before, not for anything. When he obeyed, he couldn't even be surprised at the tears trailing down those cheeks. He was in too much pain, he had to be dying, it hurt so much-!

"Eren, breathe, it's going to be okay, you'll be okay, just move your hands for me."

"L-Le-vi-!" He couldn't manage the words. How was he supposed to tell Levi he couldn't move? It hurt too much, and the childish illusion that holding the wound would stop the pain was the only thing he was clinging to in his desperation. It hurts, it hurts, it hurts! No matter how many times he screamed it in his mind, nobody could hear, and that hurt just as much.

"Shit, Eren, I know," Levi crooned, voice shaking.

"Don't make us warn you again!" The voices were fuzzy in the background, and Levi overwhelmed them with his presence.

"You have to do this for me, okay?" Eren hesitantly raised his hands, sobs hitching in his throat. He couldn't breathe. Suddenly the pain exploded, doubled, tripled with the pressure put on it, and he let out a broken wail, nails digging into his lover's forearms. "Eren, god, I know. Please, just bear with me. Stay strong."

"C-Can't, Le-vi - g-gonna die, Levi, L-Levi -"

"You're not going to die." Levi's forehead rested against his, wet warmth dripping onto Eren's face. Blood? Tears? He couldn't tell. "Eren, I need you to do something for me." All Eren could give in response was a high-pitched whine. "I need you to think about our dream. Tell me about it, Eren."

"O-Ocean - y-you, me, togeth-er." Eren wasn't sure how he was managing the words, but Levi's eyes were full of pride, and it seemed to be helping him forget the pain the tiniest bit. "A-Alone -"

"Right. I promised you. Nobody is going to take that away from us, are they?" Levi's voice hardened, though he still fumbled with his words here and there. "Nobody, Eren. Protect our dream. They're trying to take it from us."

Who was? A wave of anger crashed into Eren without warning, and he gritted his teeth against another pitiful wail. Who was trying to take their dream away?! He would - he would kill them - he would protect their dream-!

There was a crash of thunder, a powerful shockwave that sent soldiers flying, and the pain was suddenly gone, replaced with rage. A guttural roar rent the air, and the ground shook when the titan took a step toward Nile, who was now a good distance away thanks to the blast. His hand darted out instinctively and he swiped at the ranks of soldiers, hoisting up the Military Police Commander as though he were a toy. Or rather, a treat, because without thinking, the officer was in his mouth and screaming all the way down his throat before he could even process his own actions, and worse still -

Eren enjoyed it.

Before he could go after anyone else, a harpoon latched into his face, and he nearly rampaged until Levi zipped into view, landing on his nose and holding his hair for support. "Eren, we have to leave!" he shouted. "Now! Run!"

Even in a blind rage, Levi was the only person he would ever obey. He took off blindly in a random direction, and Levi relocated to his shoulder, clinging to the brown locks the best he could. Somewhere past the anger, a primal instinct told Eren to protect his lover, to not let any harm come to Levi, and he followed it to the letter.

.-.-.-.-.

He didn't know how long Eren had been running, didn't know how long he'd been holding onto the titan for dear life, didn't know how far they were from headquarters. All he knew was he was exhausted from having to try so hard not to fall, and sick with concern. Levi rapped a fist against Eren's jaw, getting the shifter's attention.

"Eren, we have to stop, you're going to exhaust yourself!"

It was too late for that, but Eren ignored him and kept moving. Levi's brows furrowed and his lips turned down in a frown. Hadn't Eren had a difficult time listening before, too? Warning bells went off in Levi's head, and he barked out at his subordinate.

"Eren, I said stop!"

When the titan made no move to stop, only an indignant rumbling noise, the bells turned into sirens. Eren never rejected him like this. He could still hear the undercurrents of anger in that growl, and he quickly made up his mind, latching onto the back of the shifter's neck and pulling out his blades. Before any protest could be made, before he could question himself, he was cutting into the nape of the neck, digging in deep enough and in the perfect shape to reach in and grab for the brunet.

His heart stuttered when he saw just how fused the boy was with the titan flesh. It took more effort than usual to yank him out of the rapidly disintegrating form, and when he landed on the ground he was horrified by the mangled mess that was his lover's body. His face seemed mostly intact, with bits of flesh missing around the eyes where he was typically attached. The boy's breathing was ragged and hardly there, and his wounds didn't seem to be healing.

"Shit," he breathed, kneeling down and cradling the boy to his chest. "Shit, this is my fault, I made you shift..."

Eren blinked his eyes open blearily, and they were foggy still, giving Levi the impression that he was blinded. "Captain? What... what happened?"

"What do you remember?" Levi asked him in return. Eren squinted off in the distance, thinking hard.

"I remember I was in a lot of pain, and there were MPs, and..." His voice was quiet and cracking, as usual, but usually it would be strengthening by now. "That's really it. Levi, why can't I see...?"

Levi exhaled shakily as the realization hit him. He only clutched Eren closer to his chest as he spoke, tears trying to leak from his eyes again. "I don't think you're going to see again, Eren," he admitted quietly.

"Not going to...?" The tint of fear was there, but it was smothered by exhaustion. "What do you mean?"

"I made a mistake. You shifted under dangerous circumstances. I don't think we're going to see the ocean."

His voice was so solemn, so resigned, but Eren couldn't bring himself to be concerned with it. He nuzzled into the warmth his lover provided, barely noticing how cold he was. "Oh. Why not? Well... tell me later. I'm tired..."

Levi pressed a loving kiss to the boy's forehead, whispering, "Of course. Sleep well, Eren."

As the boy's eyes closed for the last time, Levi stared at his blade contemplatively. Silently, he held the wicked sword's point to his chest, closing his eyes.

He embraced his death with open arms, knowing he'd meet up with Eren in hell.
Sign up to rate and review this story