Categories > Anime/Manga > Attack on Titan > Heir to the Throne

Chapter Three

by CaptainRiren 1 review

More visits.

Category: Attack on Titan - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Romance - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2018-07-30 - 1400 words

-1Boring
"What?"

It was said dumbly, with Eren blinking in shock. They sat around the coffee table in his sister's apartment, Eren and Mikasa on the couch, Levi taking up an armchair. Mikasa was patient - albeit noticeably downcast - when she repeated herself.

"The hospital," she said softly. "Mom's in the hospital."

It just was not registering. Eren shook his head. "What?" he asked again, bewildered, and then, "For what? She's a healthy woman, isn't she?"

Mikasa's expression mirrored his confusion for a second, and then morphed into something guilty. "You never noticed, did you?" she whispered, horrified, and fear spiked in Eren's heart. "She always tried so hard to be strong whenever you visited."

"Mikasa, what are you talking about?" Eren's voice got louder, demanding, as panic rose in his chest. His sister was just being so mysterious about it and it was driving him up the walls.

"Mom was diagnosed with leukemia two months ago," Mikasa answered him, "and she was admitted to the hospital last week. She's dying, Eren."

Nothing, and then it started to hit. He could hardly imagine his beautiful, lovely mother all gaunt and ill in a hospital bed, frail and ready to go at any moment, and yet here Mikasa was telling him that was exactly the case. He clenched his fists and closed his eyes, fighting hard not to let tears fall. Mikasa's hand uncurled one of his fists and intertwined their fingers.

"Is dad with her?" Eren asked, and Mikasa shook her head, looking pained.

"He was deployed when he got the news," she told him. "He can't come back for another few weeks."

"That's bullshit," he found himself saying, though he knew it was not. Duty called. As a military doctor, Grisha had no choice in the matter. Would he even get to see his wife before she - ?

Eren wanted to cry. He nearly did, but he knew it would not help anything.

"Am - am I allowed to go see her?"

Mikasa nodded. "Her condition is fairly stable. I'm sure she'd be happy to see you."

Eren nodded back. "Good." They both stood, and Eren heard rustling that signaled Levi copying them. He offered Mikasa a hug and kissed the top of her head fondly, squeezing her tight. It was a few moments before they let go, but Eren felt much better after. "I have to tell her she's going to be a grandma."

Mikasa's face underwent a myriad of expressions - confused, pleased, angry, confused again - and then she squinted at him. " . . . what?"

"Levi and I are having a kid."

"You mean you're . . . ?" She gestured vaguely at his abdomen. Eren let out a snort.

"Yeah."

Mikasa's eyes went from squinty to narrowed dangerously. She directed a glare at Levi, pushing past Eren to jab a finger into his chest.

"First thing's first," she said, tone warning, and Eren was already flushing in embarrassment. "Before, you could back out of this whole thing. Now, you're a family. If you hurt Eren, I'll hurt you. Clear?"

Levi did his best not to look amused at the idea of a mortal threatening him. "Crystal."

"Good. Second . . . " Mikasa backed down then, putting one hand on her hip while the other went to her hair. Something equally distressed and excited crossed her face, and she mumbled all in one dazed breath, "Holy shit, I'm an aunt."

"Almost an aunt," Eren teased, and went in for another hug. "I guess we should head out, then. We'll talk later, okay?"

"Okay," Mikasa relented, releasing him and taking one last look at him. "Please, stay safe."

Eren offered her a smile. "I will."

.-.-.-.-.

By the time they made it to the hospital, Eren was well enough to walk on his own, though Levi still kept a firm hand on his lower back to be sure. Eren took a seat in the plastic chair by his mother's bed while Levi leaned on the wall near the doorway, and Carla was all smiles when she made eye contact with her son.

"Hi, mom," Eren said, and winced at how his voice cracked. He reached forward and took one of her hands with both of his. Her fingers were so cold. He broke eye contact, unable to look at her. "I'm . . . I'm sorry."

Carla kept her smile, fond and sad. She freed her hand to thread her fingers through his hair, and Eren closed his eyes, leaning into the touch. "It's okay, baby," she soothed. "You've been busy."

"Levi's been busy," Eren corrected her with a sniff, cracking his eyes open and hesitantly looking back up at her. Tears pricked at ocean green orbs. "I should have noticed. I should have seen. Why didn't you tell me?"

"Well, you've got a whole other life, haven't you?" Carla's smile faltered a little, but still remained. "A whole world to run. I didn't want to worry you."

"Mom . . . !" Eren managed to withhold the tears, but the way his voice grew hoarse with emotion was inescapable. Carla was always so selfless. "Mom, you come before them! You always come before them!" His mother's hand faltered on his head, and he hunched over the bed, hiding his face in his hands. "You should have told me. There's people in the Underworld, people who could cure you. I could have found someone, something . . . "

"At a price," Levi intercepted from his place near the doorway. The Jaegers turned to look at him, Carla tired, Eren furious. He looked between them both as he spoke. "Nothing is free. Magic isn't free. You would have to pay dearly for that kind of service, and you know it."

"I don't care," Eren snapped. "This is my mother!"

"But we care," Carla said gently. "You're my pride and joy, Eren. I can't let you get hurt for me. And what about Levi?"

And there were the tears. Eren's fingers twisted in the bedsheets and squeezed his eyes shut once more. Heaving gasps shook his shoulders. In an instant, Levi was at his side, leaning down to wrap his arms around Eren's shoulders. It was hard, watching him cry, and the air in the room was heavy.

"I just . . . I can't lose you . . . "

"We all die someday," Carla murmured, cupping Eren's cheek and lifting his chin up to meet his eyes. She brushed his tears away with a gentle thumb. "You have to live your life before you do, too."

Levi pressed a kiss to his temple. "And don't forget about our little tyke."

Eren nodded, quiet, and Carla cocked her head. "Oh, did you adopt?"

Eren immediately went pink. Even Levi, who had been fairly cocky about it until now, seemed embarrassed to explain it to his husband's mother. "Ah . . . no. Eren's pregnant."

Taken aback, Carla asked, "How?" But before either of her boys could respond, she shook her head firmly, smiling. "You know what? I don't care. Magic, probably. Just know I'm happy for you two."

"You're taking this surprisingly well," Levi said. Carla chuckled.

"Sweetheart, I'm dying. I can't let anything phase me." She patted Levi's head this time, and even he went a little pink. "You're both going to be great fathers."

Levi was speechless, merely nodding in response. Eren peeked at her through his bangs. "You think so?"

"I know so." Carla withdrew her hand, clasping it with the other in her lap. "I've got a surgery scheduled in a bit, so you boys should probably head out. Come here, Eren." When he leaned towards her obediently, she kissed his forehead. "I love you, baby. You too, Levi. Come here."

Reluctantly, Levi leaned forward as well so Carla could give him a peck on the cheek. "I'm grateful you accept me, Mrs. Jaeger."

She scoffed. "Carla or Mom," the woman corrected stubbornly. She softened. "I can't not accept you. Eren adores you, and I do too. You're one of my own, now, you know?"

A tad flustered, Levi gave a polite little bow. "And I'll always be thankful for that," he replied.

Eren stood, still sniffly, and Levi wrapped an arm around his waist. Carla smiled at the image.

"Eren, be sure to get plenty of rest. And just a warning, Levi, I was an absolute nightmare when I was pregnant. Oh, I can't wait to be a grandma!"

They all heard the unspoken if I live that long.
Sign up to rate and review this story