Categories > Anime/Manga > Attack on Titan > Bittersweet Roses

Chapter 8

by Amaya-san 0 reviews

Please review!

Category: Attack on Titan - Rating: R - Genres: Drama,Romance - Warnings: [!] [V] - Published: 2018-09-02 - 1158 words - Complete

0Unrated
Cloud cover was rolling in across the waning moon, casting the world below into occasional shadows. Most of the soldiers in the base were fast asleep, save two. Lia made no effort to hide her displeasure at being chosen for second watch. She sat at the top of the structure with her arms crossed and a scowl on her features.


A few hours of sleep had hardly been enough after a full day of training, and her muscles were aching in protest. Beside her, to no surprise, was the silent man that had accompanied her since that morning. His steely gaze was set forward, and neither of them spoke for some time.


Silently, she resented always being placed with him as though they were partners. Did they not know how taxing his negativity could be? She was completely oblivious to the truth that Levi had requested her company in order to thicken her skin.


Her mouth stretched wide in a yawn, and she brought her arm back before slapping herself hard across the cheek. The lack of sleep barely seemed to affect him. She huffed at this and turned to speak.


"Are you never fatigued?" she asked, clearly implying that misery loves company.


"I don't sleep much."


"Oh...is that why you're so ornery all of the time?" Insomnia would certainly explain why he looked forever sleep-deprived. He chose not to answer her. She stood up and began to pace to keep herself awake. It wasn't long before her angry limbs insisted she return to her seat.


She plopped down directly beside him and stared back as he assessed this new situation. Fireflies whirled about beneath them and the occasional drifter strayed up to their level. She turned forward and leaned back onto her palms.


"So I just keep learning things about you that I never knew. Why don't you talk about yourself?" Levi frowned slightly at her question.


"You don't talk about yourself either." He made a valid point.


"What do you want to know?"


"Nothing," he responded simply, drawing a pout from the woman beside him.


"What kind of answer is that? It's so rude."


"If you want to tell me something, you will." He paused briefly and swiveled his head to look at her. "Why, what do you want to know?" His voice sounded almost repulsed.


"Everything," she gushed before she could stop herself, and then turned a brilliant shade of red. "I- I mean, well...I don't make a lot of friends, and you're kind of a jerk, but maybe..." She took a deep breath after this rush of words before slowing herself down. "I could understand why you're so rough around the edges if I knew you better."


"Well what do you want to know?" he repeated.


"You're from the Underground. How did you end up there?" she implored, crossing her legs and making herself comfortable for a story. Levi slowly and somewhat reluctantly began to explain how he was orphaned and taken in by his uncle. Over time, he learned how to survive and became the top of the streets back home.


He described his run-ins with the Military Police and how he and his comrades seized three sets of omni-directional gear. They self-trained and soon were as comfortable flying about beneath the city as they were walking. Lia listened, enraptured and flabbergasted that she had successfully gotten him to open up and speak more than he ever had to her. He even indulged that he had once dreamt of opening a tea shop.


She took a drink from her canteen and passed it to him as he detailed the first time he had met Erwin. He left out the fact that Erwin had blackmailed him into joining the Scout Regiment, opting for a bit of loyalty he was slowly becoming aware of. Gratefully, he took a swig of water and then inquired after her, pointing out that it was only fair; when in reality, he was ensuring she did not have a chance to ask further questions.


"Well I didn't come from under the capital. Your story makes me feel so fortunate. I'm sorry you endured as much as you did; no child should have the responsibility of managing his or her own survival."


He remained silent at this, so she continued. "My parents live in Trost District. I became a soldier more or less because they wanted it for me." His face wrinkled in a slightly disturbed expression. "No, no; nothing like that. They didn't want me to go hungry, and had the Military Police in mind." She gave him a sheepish look. "Obviously, you can see how that worked out.


"I joined the Survey Corps by pure accident, in fact. I intended to sign for Garrison. It's a bit obvious I would be better at settling civil matters than doing fisticuffs with Titans."


"You're improving. Now you won't have to worry about that braid either," he voiced thoughtfully. She reached up and touched her mutilated hair sadly. She had never cut it, and here it was, but four centimeters long in the back.


He watched her carefully, as she seemed lost in thought as her arm was languidly lowered to her side. Her eyes were far away and filled with melancholy. Levi grunted and switched back to the horizon.


"It looks...uh...all right on you," he spoke in a rush. He then shifted awkwardly as he could see her slowly turned in his peripherals. "I mean, it's not bad. It looks fine."


"If you say that one more time, I will think it's awful and you're covering it up."


"It looks nice," he finally admitted. "Just don't be thinking...never mind. Forget it." She was bemused, though still baffled as to whether or not she now appeared unkempt and homely. "It's better than the dumb braid."


"All right, what is wrong with how I wear- wore- my hair?" she shouted.


"Quiet," he hushed in an annoyed tone, thinking of the resting troops.


"Don't silence me," she snapped. "You know, Levi, the reason you're alone most of the time is because you don't know how to be a friend. All you do is give snide remarks like you're so much better than all of this. Why do you even bother at all? Why are you even here?"


He monitored her red face, just a short distance from his own. He remained complacent, locking away any emotional response. She had enough of those going for the both of them. Someone cleared their throat in the doorway.


"You two can go to bed," their comrade said uncomfortably.


"Oh, thank Ymir!" Lia stood and stormed inside. Levi stood listlessly and made his way back to the barracks, mind buzzing at her angry words. She didn't understand that when he opened up and gave his all, he got hurt. It was better this way; he hoped that someday, she would see that too.
Sign up to rate and review this story