Categories > Books > Harry Potter > What Now, Severus?

Who's Running This Thing?

by Emilie_D 1 review

From an outsider's point of view, somebody should probably do something!

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Romance - Characters: Professor McGonagall - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2006-09-20 - Updated: 2006-09-21 - 2584 words - Complete

1Original
That morning, the ceiling of the Great Hall showed Zelda a bright blue sky with a few fluffy looking clouds blowing across it. Breakfast was served at a single table, where only two wizards were seated when they arrived. They both rose as she and Minerva approached the table.

"Zelda, this is Professor Filius Flitwick. He is the Head of Ravenclaw House and our Charms Professor. Seated next to you is Professor Horace Slughorn, who is Head of Slytherin House and our Potions Master," Minerva said, smiling as Horace Slughorn gallantly held Zelda's chair for her.

"Filius, Horace, I would like to introduce you to Mrs. Zelda Larsson. She is consulting with me about updating our Muggle Studies curriculum and will also be our guest at Hogwarts for the next few days."

"Enchanted, dear lady," Horace Slughorn said unctuously, as he took Zelda's hand and raised it to his lips, adding, "I hope to see a great deal of you during your stay here."

"Thank you, Professor Slughorn," murmured Zelda demurely, blue eyes twinkling. "I'm very happy to meet both of you," she said, including Professor Flitwick in her smile.

"It is a pleasure to meet you," Professor Flitwick - a very small man with wispy white hair and bright eyes - cheerfully said. "You are something of a specialist in Muggle Studies?" he asked. "How fascinating. I have always wanted to learn more about our non-magical neighbors, but our previous teacher of the subject was somewhat reserved."

"I hope we'll find the time to discuss Muggle history and culture together then," Zelda replied gravely. "Understanding the Muggle world is quite a passion of mine, although I'm afraid I may talk your ear off on the subject."

"Orange juice, Zelda?" Minerva asked, struggling to maintain her normal, austere expression. She had not planned to be amused by Zelda's visit, but watching the woman charm these two old goats was utterly hilarious.

"Thank you, Minerva," Zelda said, not daring to meet the woman's gaze as she helped herself to toast and kippers. "Everything looks delicious. You certainly don't compromise on food here at Hogwarts, do you?"

"I'm afraid the only compromise you'll be making this morning is in having to drink tea," Minerva replied. "As an American, I assume that you would prefer coffee, but I do not believe that we have any here. I shall ask the elves to remedy that deficiency by tomorrow."

"The tea is excellent. I enjoy it too, but if your elves are amenable, perhaps I'll teach them how to make cappuccino. I believe Hogwarts will be perfect to me, then," Zelda said with a smile.

"You are American?" Professor Slughorn asked curiously, his large moustache twitching. "That would explain your charming accent, then. I have never been to America myself."

"Well, this is my first visit to Hogwarts," Zelda replied. "We all tend to settle into our own comfortable routines, don't we? But change is good, of course, and I'm very happy to be here. Hogwarts is a marvelous school."

Silence fell, as they all ate heartily. Zelda was thinking that if she ate meals like this daily, she'd soon become as fat as Professor Slughorn... who looked as if he would shortly be giving birth to a beach ball. She would need to take Minerva aside sometime, to ask her how she kept her girlish figure in the midst of such abundance.

'Well, gentlemen," Minerva said as she rose, "I hope you'll both have a good day. I'll be helping our guest settle in and begin her work for this morning."

Zelda excused herself politely, and then followed Minerva out of the Great Hall and up a flight of stairs. The Muggle Studies classroom was spacious, as one would expect in a castle, and large windows allowed bright daylight to shine in. The furnishings were extremely old-fashioned, heavy wooden tables and desks that had been battered by many years of heavy use.

"Here is the current edition of our main Muggle Studies textbook," Minerva said, handing Zelda a large volume entitled /Home Life and Social Habits of British Muggles/.

Zelda opened the book. It seemed to focus on outdated technology. "I'd like to read this, Minerva, but do you teach magical history here? I know something of what Muggles, at least in modern Western cultures, believe about magic. But I want to learn a little of your history, from your perspective. May I look at some history books?"

"Of course," Minerva replied, pleased at Zelda's interest. She had wanted Zelda at Hogwarts mostly for her fresh outlook on the crisis with Voldemort, but Zelda appeared to enjoy intellectual challenges. They went down the hall and stopped in the History of Magic classroom, where they collected a massive tome entitled /The History of Magic/, and then headed back to drop both books at Zelda's room. Minerva offered to give her a brief tour of the castle grounds, which Zelda gladly accepted.

"I've been told that the castle moves staircases and other things around," Zelda said apprehensively. "If I get lost, what should I do?"

"I will introduce you to Mr. Filch, our caretaker, and his cat, Mrs. Norris," Minerva said, "Sooner or later, they know everything that happens here. If I ask them to, they will keep an eye out for you."

They left the books on the table in Zelda's room, descended the stairs and headed out the doors into the sunshine. Minerva led her toward the lake, sparkling blue and still icy looking in summer. They began walking toward a bench near the water, and Zelda took the opportunity to ask, "Do the walls have ears inside the castle? Or is it safe to discuss... things there?"

"Within my office it is safe to speak freely - but given the sensitive nature of what we are discussing, it is probably in the best interest to err on the side of caution," Minerva said, seating herself. "Since the weather is so fine, we can speak out here now."

"Tell me about our breakfast companions." Zelda asked, with a smile. "I thought Professor Flitwick was very charming, but I wanted to wash my hand after Professor Slughorn slobbered on it."

"Well, Horace Slughorn is old enough to remember when such things were considered charming," Minerva replied, "and he does consider himself to be very charming."

"I noticed," Zelda said, giving a little ironic snicker. "Is he the best you can do to replace Severus?" she asked.

"Given that the Headmaster was recently murdered by one of our staff, positions at Hogwarts are becoming increasingly difficult to fill," Minerva said painfully. "Horace will do an adequate job this school year, and frankly, I am hoping a miracle will occur, so that Severus can return to us. He is really quite a brilliant man, you know," she said, adding, "although not always popular with the students."

Zelda smiled, remembering how Severus had been with his three students at her house. Once the awkwardness had worn off - and he had seen that they were actually eager to learn - he was able to teach them a great deal. But he had also experienced little understanding, empathy or humor as a student... so it was unlikely that he would practice such qualities as a teacher.

"He wants to come back here," Zelda said softly. "He has so many awful memories here, so I didn't understand before why he loves it so much, but seeing it now... " She sighed. "Goddess, Minerva, He has to be all right. He made some awful mistakes, but he's done more for your wretched Order than you know - and without counting the cost to himself."

"I don't know what we can do at this point, Zelda," Minerva said, moved by the woman's passionate defense of her lover. "We have no idea what... Voldemort... is doing now. Without Severus, we no longer have a spy in his presence who can report to us."

"Is anyone in the Order doing /anything/?" Zelda asked, rolling her eyes. "For instance, I don't even know who most of the members are ... but can you tell me, since Dumbledore... who's in charge? Or are they all sitting around waiting for someone to tell them what to do?"

"There is undoubtedly a leadership vacuum at the moment," Minerva said. "They have made noises, asking me to tell them what to do, but I have my hands quite full trying to prepare Hogwarts for the coming school year."

"Who else is there?" Zelda asked. "Ron told me his dad works for the Ministry, so it makes sense that he keep an eye on things there." She shook her head irritably, as if to clear it. "How do they plan to communicate with each other? Pester you to play telephone for them all? Maybe I'm missing something, but this seems totally unacceptable."

"I am very concerned, Zelda," Minerva replied, looking deeply frustrated. "But I can manage to do an adequate job as Headmistress of Hogwarts only if I am allowed to give it my full attention." She added; "I want very much to assist the Order, to defeat Voldemort, but I cannot do it all."

"Your job as Headmistress is extremely important." Zelda said firmly. "You can't let them push you around. But that leaves Severus, Harry, Ron and Hermione out there completely unsupported - with no idea what the Death Eaters are up to."

A shadow fell over them. They looked up to find Molly Weasley approaching their bench. "Good morning," she pleasantly greeted them. "You aren't actually discussing the curriculum already, are you?"

"We've already dealt with that, for now." Zelda said lightly. "We've had breakfast, I have my homework assignment, and now we're busy saving the world."

Molly looked penetratingly at them, hearing something in Zelda's voice that made her realize that it was a serious discussion. "May I help?" She asked, thinking -with a pang - of her children.

Minerva looked up, wondering at the seriousness in Molly's voice. "Molly," she said, her eyes narrowing in concentration, "Do you think the Order has accomplished anything of substance since Dumbledore's death?"

"I don't think..." She stopped, and a guilty expression appeared on her face. She said carefully, "I can't speak for all the others, but since Bill was wounded... and they're getting married - Bill and Fleur, and..." Molly fell silent.

"Molly, I'm sure no one can expect you to single-handedly do the work of the Order," Zelda said, "but I'm worried. Harry, Ron and Hermione are out there doing something essential that needs to be done. Severus is also playing a very dangerous game... and without support from others," she said grimly. "It doesn't look good for any of them."

"I know." Molly said, freshly aware of seventeen-year-old Ron venturing into danger with only Harry and Hermione at his side.

Zelda met Molly's guilty look firmly, and said, "Molly, the chess game you're in has changed. There were two queens, and you've just lost yours. If the rest of the pieces don't perform, the game's over." She continued sadly, "Minerva can't be Albus Dumbledore, and if you think about it, a game can be won without the queen. You strike me as very competent, Molly. Realistically, what can you do to help?"

Molly sank down on the bench next to Zelda, who had moved over to make room for her. "I know everyone in the Order," she said, "so therefore, if we knew what he or she should do next, then I can talk to him or her. Arthur, of course, has not stopped watching for signs at the Ministry, although it's harder now that Kingsley is on duty in the Muggle Prime Minister's office."

"What are Alastor and Remus doing?" Minerva asked curiously. "They should both be able to be free agents at this time."

"Well... Remus is now engaged to Tonks, of course, and I think he has been spending quite a bit of time with her, when she's not working," Molly replied. "He's also been keeping up with the werewolves, but not as much as he had been before Dumbledore... well... and I haven't seen much of Mad-Eye either since it happened."

"Can either of you contact this Moody guy?" Zelda asked, "I think he could suggest how to effectively monitor Death Eater activities, if what the kids said about him is true." She added briskly. "I don't see that there's much time to waste, with three teenagers running around trying to save you all - not to mention Severus. I think it would be good to start being able to know again what the Death Eaters are up to... and distract Voldemort, if possible."

Molly turned to stare curiously at Zelda and said, "I don't suppose you want to take charge of the Order, do you? You certainly have the passion for it, and some very practical suggestions."

Zelda stared back enquiringly. "Would anyone accept my authority?" she asked cynically. "The idea of a Muggle, a stranger and a woman running this show seems absurd to me." She studied Molly thoughtfully, and added, "I suppose they'd think of you as somebody's mum, right? But you raised all of your kids, and if Ron's any example, you did an amazing job... um, I think you could do it, Molly."

Molly looked deeply shocked at the suggestion, and turned to Minerva, speechless. The three women sat silent for a time, watching the clouds slide across the sky, and finally Minerva said, "I think either of you could do an admirable job, although as another woman I am perhaps a little prejudiced in your favor. I doubt whether all the wizards in the Order would easily accept something so shocking to their traditional views."

Zelda looked from one to the other of them, and she began to laugh at the absurdity of it. "You know, this is so serious," she snickered, "but I have to laugh, or I'll cry." She managed to make herself serious again, and continued, "How many wizards have taken charge since Dumbledore died?"

"None," replied Minerva distastefully. "I confess I am very disappointed by that, but it seems to be so."

"I propose then," said Zelda, her mouth twitching mischievously, "that while I'm here, we three work together to run the Order, until a better arrangement can be made. Minerva," she suggested, "you may be our mouthpiece, since everyone seems to obey your Headmistress persona. If you have any concern with decisions that we make, you'll have veto power - but your primary concern must be the well being of Hogwarts and it's students. Molly," she said, "you and I will direct the chess pieces."

"Zelda, my husband and children are members of the Order." Molly said, her voice shaking slightly. "I cannot order them into situations where they may be killed."

"Oh Goddess, Molly." Zelda said, turning and seeing tears in her eyes, she hugged her. "It's not a dictatorship, is it? Any task must be understood, and accepted freely. Furthermore, I'd want to hear any suggestion to increase our effectiveness, wouldn't you?"

"It is an intriguing idea, Zelda." Minerva said, breaking her silence. "A collaborative effort. I am willing to try it, if you and Molly are. Molly?"

Tear ran down her cheeks, but Molly Weasley's voice did not waver as she said, "I'm willing."

Zelda held out a hand to each of them and with a mocking giggle, she said, "The Triumvirate of the Order of the Phoenix, temporarily, at least. Gotta love it, right?"
Sign up to rate and review this story