Categories > Original > Fantasy

Wa It Just A Nightmare?

by Connor0319 0 reviews

It's been a year since Alice's sister died when she has a horrible nightmare about her. But was it just a nightmare?

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Fantasy - Published: 2019-01-26 - 1509 words - Complete

0Unrated
I was standing in line waiting to order my coffee. I was standing at the right hand side of the small cafe, at the left hand side of the coffee shop where a few tables. there wasn't that many people in the shop, mainly just construction workers, which wasn't surprising considering it was only six in the morning. I wasn't normally a morning person but I couldn't sleep because of the nightmares i had the night before.

It had been a year since my little sister, Susan, had died but the memories were still as vivid as the day it happened.

I had been driving to a concert I was taking my little sister to for her birthday. She had been sitting in the passenger seat next to me. She had loose blonde hair that fell down her back like a river of gold and deep ocean blue eyes, unlike my own dyed hazel hair and moss green eyes. She had a round, kind face and was wearing a baby blue dress that brought out the blue in her eyes. She always had a smile on her face and was the most lovable person I had ever met.                      

"I can't wait to get there, it's going to be so fun" she said. "What kind of tickets are they?"

I had been hoping to surprise her when we got but I couldn't wait to see her reaction.

"Look in the glove box compartment and see" I said, unable to stop the smile spreading across my face as I said it.

She opened the glove box compartment and two backstage passes fell onto her lap.

"Oh my god! Alice, you got backstage passes!" She exclaimed. "This is going to be the best birthday ever!"

It was at that moment a black SUV came speeding around the corner and smashed into us, the only thing I could hear before I blacked out was the screeching of tires and my little sister screaming.

When I woke up I was in a hospital bed and hooked up to one of those machines that beep and monitor your heart rate. The first thought on my mind was where is my sister?

I was laced with cuts that had been stitched, bruises that throbbed and my right arm was broken. I had a pounding headache and my head was fuzzy, I was struggling to recall the events that had happened.

The door to my left opened and a nurse came through. She had a kind face and brown hair.

"Good you're awake" she said.

"How long have I been out?" I asked. My voice sounded hoarse and it hurt to talk.

"Two days" She replied.

Two whole days I thought in shock but then a much more worrying thought came to mind. "Is my sister ok" I asked franticly.

She flinched at the question. I could tell by her reaction that the news bad.

"She... didn't make it" she said quietly, almost in a whisper. "She wasn't wearing a seatbelt so when the crash happened her head hit the dashboard, hard enough that it killed her." She said it quietly as if she was almost scared to tell me.

A tear trickled down my cheek as I processed the information the nurse had just told me. My happy loving sister was now dead. I couldn't help but think why, out of everyone that it could have happened to, it had to be her. What did she ever do to deserve this. Greif consumed my heart and suddenly nothing else in the world mattered.

"You must have almost no strength" the nurse said. "I'll go end fetch you something to eat" she opened the door and left the room.

I didn't have the apatite to eat. One fact kept playing over and over in my head.

My little sister was dead.
...
"Excuse me, miss?"

My train of thought was interrupted by the boy behind the counter at the coffee shop. He looked to be about 16 or 17 with hair that had been dyed red and dark green eyes.

"What would you like" he asked politely.

I wasn't a regular coffee drinker so I said "I'm not sure, what would you recommend for someone who isn't used to early mornings?"

He thought for a second and said "I've got just the thing" he went into the back and came out a couple of minutes later with the steaming drink in a to-go cup.

"It's a new drink that isn't even on the menu yet" he said "Apparently its meant to be quite strong"

I thanked him and paid for the drink. Walking towards my office for another long day of work. I tried the drink, at first it tasted like a regular coffee but then I got a sour, horrible taste as if someone had mixed all the bad tasting things in the world and force fed it to me. I threw it into the next bin I found. Yuck.
...
I was sitting at home finishing some spread sheets for work and I was starting to feel really tired. I looked up and checked the time, odd it was only 10pm and I was already feeling exhausted.

I finished the spread sheet I was working on and went to bed. Sleep didn't come easy but eventually I drifted off to sleep.
...

I woke up but didn't open my eyes, there was a gentle breeze blowing on my face. Odd, I opened my eyes and saw a beautiful night sky filled with stars.

Confused I sat up and rubbed my eyes. The ground was sand and I was lying on my bed. To my left was an endless expanse of sand as far as the eye could see, to my right was a densely wooded forest with a dirt ground.

I stood, this must be a dream, I pinched myself hoping that I'd wake up but it didn't work. Suddenly creatures started crawling out of the sand to my left.

The creatures were hunched over with gleaming black skin stretched so tight over their bodies so tight that it looked like it might tear at any moment. They didn't have eyes or noses, only wide mouths dripping with drool with teeth so long and sharp they looked like they could sheer through metal. They had long, sharp, black claws that were the size of fingers.

Terror clutched at my heart I wanted to run but my legs were frozen in place. The creatures just stood there breathing heavily and drooling over the sand. I counted that there were thirteen of them standing there ready to devour me.

They started sprinting towards me.

I finally got my to legs move and sprinted for the densely wooded forest. I glanced behind me, they travelled on all fours at a really fast pace, so fast actually that they were going to catch up me really quickly if I didn't go faster.

Within a couple of seconds my lungs were burning. My legs were aching, my heart was burning and I couldn't keep up the pace. One of the creatures slammed into my back and pinned me to the ground. The other creatures surrounded us in a circle, they were making terrifying clicking sounds to each other which I guessed was their form of communication. The creature who had me pinned bent its head down slowly, preparing to take a bite out of me. I closed my eyes and waited for the end to come.

Suddenly the weight on my back disappeared and the clicking stopped. I stood and looked around, all of the creatures were gone.

"Alice"

In front of me stood my little sister, I gasped.

I was speechless I tried to say something but nothing came out. Was this some sort of cruel heartless trick?
"H-how?" Is all I managed to stutter out.

"I don't have time to explain" she said. "Follow Me" with that she started running through the trees.

"Wait!" I called out. When she didn't slow down I ran after her.

After running for what seemed like forever, we finally came to a clearing and stopped. I bent over and vomited, once I was done I asked "How are you alive" But when I looked up she was gone.

Suddenly another creature crawled out of the dirt it was identical to the other ones except this one was larger, as if it was the alpha male of the creatures.

I tried to run but it was too close to me, it sprang at me and pinned my back to the ground, it raised one of its hands and dragged one of its long sharp claws slowly across my stomach. A searing hot pain flared to life where the creature was cutting into me. I screamed.

I jumped awake but I could still feel the agonising pain in my stomach, my bed sheets were covered in blood, I jumped out of bed, the place where the creature had been cutting actually had a deep, bloody gash in real life...
Sign up to rate and review this story