Categories > Books > Harry Potter > What Goes Around...Comes Around...Lost and Found...Love

Duck! Duck! Move!

by ilex 1 review

The students get to see Anna isn't just your average DADA teacher, or your average witch. Their, and the Wizarding world's, situation and future are discussed.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Humor, Romance - Characters: Angelina Johnson, Arthur Weasley, Bellatrix, Bill Weasley, Cho, Colin Creevey, Crabbe, Dean Thomas, Dobby, Draco, Dudley, Dumbledore, Ernie, Fleur, Flitwick, Fred, George, Ginny, Goyle, Hagrid, Harry, Hermione, James, Justin, Kingsley, Lily - Warnings: [!] [?] [R] [V] - Published: 2006-09-21 - Updated: 2006-09-22 - 2963 words

2Exciting

Chapter 7

Duck! Duck! Move!





Thursday afternoon, the sixth year N.E.W.T.s. class entered the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom straight from their N.E.W.T.s. Charms class with Professor Flitwick. It was going to be a double period class and they had been looking forward to this first session. All were members of the D.A., as no other students had gotten sufficiently good marks, in the practical portion of their O.W.L. level exams taken in June, for placement in the N.E.W.T.s. level class.



However, the sixth year Defense Against the Dark Arts class, which had met that morning, had been assured by Professor Twigg-Jones that she would be able to bring them up to snuff in no time. She also had the news that due to the circumstances of their previous year's instruction, or lack of, they have been given special permission, from the Ministry of Magic, to retake the practical part of the O.W.L. exam at term break, if they so desired. Also, anyone receiving an E or O grade could then join the N.E.W.T.s. level class.



"This is going to be my favorite class this year," Ron announced as they made their way to their seats. "I just know we're going to be learning all kinds of cool stuff."



"I certainly hope so, Mr. Weasley, because you're dead." Professor Twigg-Jones' voice caused them all to spin around. Perched above the door, she had her wand out and was pointing it at them. "All of you, actually. Not one of you was aware of my presence behind you. Bang! Bang! You're dead."



They noticed she was dressed in sweatpants, t-shirt and sneakers instead of her usual gown and robe. Jumping lightly down onto one of the bookcases, then to the floor, she sauntered down the aisle toward her desk.



"Please sit down. I've a few things to explain to you about this class."



"She sounded like Mad-Eye Moody there for a minute," Ron whispered to Harry as they took their seats.



"Thank you, Mr. Weasley, I consider that a compliment," Anna commented, as she passed their desk.



"Oh, ah, sorry, Professor, no disrespect meant," Ron stammered, blushing at the realization that she had heard him.



"None taken, I know you intended it in the best way possible. I used to think Mad-Eye .. Professor Moody.../was/ a bit odd when he was teaching me at Auror School. Brilliant, /but a right nutter/."



The students all laughed, though a bit nervously.



"I know that the 'Professor Moody' you had here in your fourth year was an imposter," Anna acknowledged, "but, from what I understand, he /did /teach you quite a lot and you were actually a bit ahead of schedule, that year, as far as knowing advanced spells and defensive actions.



"The real Mad-Eye and I have discussed what you would need as requirements for your N.E.W.T.s. course work this year and," pausing, she looked around before finishing the sentence, "what we thought would be helpful for preparing all of you for what is going to happen in all of our futures.



"Voldemort." Harry said under his breath.



"Exactly, Mr. Potter." She smiled as Harry looked up at her in surprise. "I'm blessed with supersensitive hearing. Although sometimes I have heard things I wish I hadn't, but, never mind."



Hermione put up her hand.



"Yes, Miss Granger?"



"When .. I mean .. well .. how bad do you think it's going to be when Voldemort attacks, or if he attacks, since some of the Death Eaters are back in Azkaban?"



"When? I'd say he will wait till the ones in Azkaban break out or are liberated by the ones who are still on the loose. He's nothing if not patient, Voldemort. I'm sure his followers are recruiting new Death Eaters as we speak.



"How bad?" Anna scratched her ear, thinking for a moment. "I can't easily explain to you how bad it will be. Be prepared for the worst and go downhill from there, for a start."



Several of the students exchanged worried looks but all listened intently.



"The one thing all of you need to understand is this ..." She took a deep breath and looking around at their young, eager faces, told them the truth. "No matter how good your spell work, how much you have practiced, how 'ready for anything' you think you are, when you are faced with a Dark Wizard, who will think nothing of killing you, you must be able to react, /WITHOUT HESITATION/, to defend yourself or, if need be, to kill that person to save your own life or the lives of others. I know that sounds harsh and unfeeling, but it is the reality we are facing. Those of you who were at the Ministry in June have had to do just that, so you understand a bit better. /We ARE in a war/."



"It's no fun, hearing someone yell 'kill them' to other people chasing you." Neville shivered at the memory. "I can vouch for that."



"True, Mr. Longbottom." Anna smiled at him encouragingly, nodding in agreement. "It can paralyze you with fear if you aren't prepared. People, good people, are going to die if we are not ready. I'm not saying you lot are being trained to save everyone but if you can contribute your skills and courage to this fight, well, every little bit /will /count and help.



"Our one advantage," she continued, leaning forward, "is that Voldemort may have underestimated all of you, and your abilities. He may have dismissed the survival of six students at the Ministry of Magic to bungling on the part of his Death Eaters, the arrival of trained Aurors and Professor Dumbledore, or just dumb luck on your parts. /Good/." She sat up and grinned. "I hope he does.



"If I can train you, at the very least, to help defend your own families, or, at the worst, be ready to take part in a full fledged battle, you may well be the extra advantage the Wizarding community will need to defeat him once and for all.



"I don't mean to scare you overly, or dump too much on your shoulders at the first class, but the sooner you accept these facts in your life, the sooner you'll start your training in the proper frame of mind."



Professor Twigg-Jones saw them nodding. They all looked determined, with a new understanding and acceptance of their role giving them a bit of courage and added determination.



"We're talking about the survival of our world, people," she emphasized, "and you can be an important part of making sure it continues. But the war has started and the worst is yet to happen. I know you're young, but I was just a couple of years older than you are now, the last time, when Harry's parents were killed. I fought beside Neville's Mum and Dad and saw a lot of things that someone your age shouldn't have to see, /but no doubt will/. With good hard work and a little luck, we will all get though this together, /alive/."



There was a long minute of silence.



"So much for the good news, Professor," Harry stage whispered, grinning at her. "Now, let's hear the bad news."



Laughing, Anna took a step and reached out to ruffle Harry's perpetually tousled hair. "Spoken like a true Potter, Harry.



"Right," Anna continued as she sat on the corner of her desk. "I've got to lighten up a bit. So, let's look on the bright side. We're safe from Voldemort at Hogwarts. Relax and enjoy your time here, your lessons, training, and most of all, your friends. Laugh, have fun, cheer your Quidditch team, gossip, go on a date to Hogsmeade." She glanced around as that comment brought out a few snickers and blushes. "Yes, been there, done that. Anyway, try to treat school as just that; school, not boot camp. You'll be training hard, but this is just another class, so treat it as such. That way, what we do in here will be another advantage we have."



"Keep the Slytherins in the dark as to what we're doing, you mean?" Ernie MacMillian asked.



Anna leaned forward and whispered, "That, too!" Putting her finger to her lips and shushing. The students grinned. "Next June will come soon enough. Now .. leave your books and robes on your desks and follow me."



X # X # X



Looking at each other, they shrugged their shoulders, dumped their books and robes and then trooped out the door in her wake. Within a few minutes, it became apparent where they were headed. Arriving outside of the Room of Requirement, Anna opened the door and bowed them in.



"/Blimey/, that's a one big glass box," exclaimed Ron, stopping dead in his tracks.



A good two thirds of the room was taken up by the structure, which extended from side to side and floor to ceiling, with about a foot of space left to walk around the sides and back. A set of bleachers sat facing the nearest side, for observing the action within the box.



"Don't be daft, Weasley, that's Plexiglas, that is," chided Justin Finch-Fletchley, reaching out and rapping on the side with his knuckles.



"It looks like a see-through squash court...sort of," Hermione suggested, as the students spread out to look at the strange 'teaching tool' before them, tapping the sides and running their hands over the cool, smooth surface.



"Close, Miss Granger. It is a practice court," conceded Professor Twigg-Jones, entering behind the class, then closing and locking the door.



"Practice for what? Wimbledon?" Seamus laughingly asked, pointing to a box of tennis balls sitting by the nearest wall.



"No, not for tennis, Mr. Finnigan, it's for practicing defensive maneuvers."



"I don't get it."



"I'm going to train all of you to move, dodge, duck and hopefully avoid being hit by spells shot at you from all angles. Ok, who are Muggle born?" Anna asked. Hands were held up. "Do you lot remember playing dodge ball?"



"Sure" "Yeah" "Of course" "Why?"



"That's what we have here. A dodge the spell practice court."



Walking up to the box, Professor Twigg-Jones tapped the side with her wand and a door appeared. Picking up one of the tennis balls, she opened the door and tossed it in. It proceeded to bounce around the inside of the box, ricocheting off the walls and top, without losing momentum and rolling to a stop as a normal tennis ball would do. It wasn't moving at the same rate of speed as if hit by a tennis racket, but at a good steady pace, none the less.



"Think of this tennis ball as a small, and considerably softer, bludger. Observe."



Stepping through and then closing the door behind her, Anna walked to the center of the box, turning to keep the ball in sight, bending, swaying and ducking out of the way as it careened around.



"Doesn't look too hard to do, does it? Now, this is the speed of the average spell." She waved her wand and the bright yellow sphere tripled its speed.



Professor Twigg-Jones was moving at an equally increased pace but she stayed in the center and easily avoided being hit. She caught the ball and the students applauded.



Stepping out of the box she smiled ruefully and shook her head. "No, don't applaud, that was just the basics. Simple stuff I expect all of you to be able to do."



Holding up the ball she looked at it and then tossed it back in the box, where it proceeded to bounce around at its original speed.



"That's a tennis ball. At the most, it'll give you a bruise; it won't hurt or kill you. Spells can. Having the reflexes to move out of the way is one of the most important skills I'm going to teach you. So, who wants to try?"



"I'll give it a go, Aunt...I mean Professor." Neville stepped forward.



"Fine Neville .. I mean Mister Longbottom." She smiled at him. "Let's see how you do. I'll time you. One minute."



Neville entered the box.



"You don't have to stay in the middle, you can move around, but don't take you eyes off the ball."



Neville frowned in concentration as he turned, ducked, dodged and spun. He was doing quite well until he backed into the wall, lost his focus and nearly got hit on his leg, jumping sideways at the last second.



"Time!" Professor Twigg-Jones shouted.



Looking slightly winded but happy with his performance, Neville headed toward the door, only to have the tennis ball flash past him, an inch in front of his nose on its way across the box. Reaching in, Professor Twigg-Jones grabbed him and pulled him out.



"Constant vigilance, Neville!"



He looked at her and grinned, as the rest of the class gathered around to congratulate him on his performance. Then, one by one, they each took a turn in the practice box, first for one minute and then the whole class had a go for two minutes each. The tennis ball made only one or two hits.



X # X # X



"Very good, all of you, for a first session," Professor Twigg-Jones congratulated them as the last student exited the box. "But remember, there will be a slow increase in the speed of that tennis ball over the next two months. It will be gradual, but your reaction speed will increase at the same rate. Trust me; you'll hardly notice and when, in a month or so, I show you the speed at which you started you'll be amazed. Then we'll move on to multiple tennis balls, obstacles, and other people in the box with you. Let me give you a quick demonstration of what you'll be able to do."



Grabbing half a dozen tennis balls, she entered the box and conjured up a large crate and a couple of chairs. Taking one tennis ball after another, she threw them in different directions, her head turning from side to side to watch their paths around the box.



To the class the balls, which were traveling at spell speed, were blurs of yellow, but Professor Twigg-Jones merely twisted, turned and then rolled over the top of the crate, landing on her feet. Then stepping up on one of the chairs, she came down on the other side, rolling on the floor, hopped up, and finally, turned sideways as three of the tennis balls converged on her position. Anna then stepped up on the seat of the other chair, cart wheeled across the crate and jumped down again.



Walking back toward the door, ducking once or twice before turning to face the center, she caught the six yellow "bludgers" and exited the practice box, dropping them in the storage container. Professor Twigg-Jones was met by stony silence. Then ..



"BLOODY HELL/!" Ron gasped. "There's /no way we can move like that."



"Not now/, but you /will/, Mr. Weasley, /you will/. /All of you will, AND it will become second nature. Dodge ball will never be the same." She looked around and smiled at them. "Trust me, I never thought I could do it either, when I was first shown, but now, it's what I do if something comes at me, a purely instinctive move that I've honed to a fine art, even if I do say so myself. Seriously, it will get easier as you get into your training. Don't underestimate yourselves. I'm not...I know you can all do it."



"We will do that and anything else you want us to learn. We must/; it's what we promised ourselves when we started the D.A. and we're /not going to stop now," Neville announced, as he came up and put his arm around Professor Twigg-Jones' shoulder.



"Thank you, Neville." She gave him a kiss on the cheek.



"Right, Neville." "Well said." "Here, here!" "I agree, Neville." "Blimey!"



"Now, where was I? ...Oh, yes, since this is a double class in the afternoon, I want you to dress in something a little more appropriate to this kind of activity. When we get back to the classroom, there's a piece of parchment on my desk with your names on it. Write down you clothing sizes; pants and shirt. I'm going to supply you with a pair of sweat pants and a t-shirt. Do you all have a pair of sneakers, or other rubber soled shoes? Good, wear them also.



"Professor Flitwick has agreed that you can be a few minutes late to his class in order to give you time to go to your dormitories after lunch to change. He doesn't mind you being out of uniform in his class because he knows what your next class entails. Don't be too late, mind, as he's doing this as a favor to me." She added with a chuckle, "Please do as I say, not as I do, ok? Now, let's go back to the classroom."



"Professor, aren't we going to be doing spells?" asked Lavender Brown.



"Oh, of course, but that will come later. I'm more concerned with you learning about the physical side of defense at this point. This class is already ahead in spells and we'll be able to practice and re-enforce them during the D.A. meetings and you'll be adding more spells in Charms class, too. That is what I want to talk to you all about when we get back to the classroom. Shall we?" As she unlocked the door to the hall and ushered them out of the Room of Requirement and back to the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom.










Sign up to rate and review this story