Categories > Movies > Jurassic Park > For Those of The Five Deaths

Act I Chapter II: The Hatchery

by sgtlegendkiller 0 reviews

New Chapter!

Category: Jurassic Park - Rating: PG - Genres: Fantasy,Sci-fi - Published: 2020-01-27 - Updated: 2020-01-27 - 3201 words

0Unrated
SGTLEGENDKILLER

‘For Those of The Five Deaths’
A Jurassic Park Fanfiction

Act I Chapter II
“The Hatchery”

Danielle swung around and brought the Blazer briskly up the road leading to the Administration and Lab compounds; the dirty and damp tires spinning as she shoved the gas pedal to the floor. The engine roared as the truck dropped into first gear, lurching forward as mud and grass were thrown from the tires. She was late for her shift at the Lab due to events that had happened earlier in the day with her and Dr. Harding. While this wasn’t anything she would be really reprimanded for, she disliked being late for things; it was very unlike her. At worse she would catch some flak from the other Lab workers as playful jabs. Either way, she raced up the hill until she reached the top. As she crested the final corner at the top of the hill, she slowed down to turn smoothly around one of the Island Express buses. She didn’t miss riding on the Island Line.

She turned tightly into a parking spot in the paved lot at the end of the road, the thick off-road tires scuffed loudly across the concrete as she came to a swift halt. She quickly turned the Blazer off and grabbed her bag as she slid out of the truck, turning on her heel to walk with haste for the nearby buildings. She would first have to go sign into her station in her cubicle on the second floor of the Computer Lab. With a wave to a few coworkers in the small courtyard between the three buildings in the compound, she drew her keycard out to let herself inside. Beyond the door was one of the few security guards that were always posted downstairs at a small desk. Today it was a man just a bit older than her, his name was Kyle Anderson or something like that; he was one of the guards on rotation in this building. He was a nice guy who always had something to say to everyone who entered the building. Kyle gave her a slight nod and left her be, seeing as she was clearly in a rush.

Danielle made her way up the stairs and down the hall before making a right into the first office space with a few cubicle spaces. Due to it being later in the day now, there was only one other person in the room when Danielle walked in.

“Well hey there...” The voice of Ben Charlton greeted her as he poked his head around the side of his cubicle.

“What’s up, Ben?” Danielle asked with an exhale, she tried to catch her breath once she set her bag down by her cubicle.

“Not much…” He replied with a tired sigh. “I’m just staying late to work through some things in the system…” Ben, much like Danielle, was working through a grad program with InGen in order to get his Master’s degree in Computer Administration.

“Nothing serious I hope.” She said, giving a little smirk.

“Nah, just a few little loop issues Dennis wants me to look over,” Ben explained with a sigh. “I needed some more hours anyway.”

“I hope you don’t stay here too late, Ben.” She said, sliding her jacket off to slip into her Lab coat.

“I won’t.” He smiled back at her.

The door opened and a heavyset man poked his head in at them both. “Uh, ben. Have you finished looking into those things? The uh, redundant loops we saw this morning?” The man asked almost timidly, pushing up his thick glasses up further upon his nose. This was Dennis Nedry, the guy responsible for all of the computer and networking systems around the Island.

“Yes, sir.” Ben nodded his head lightly. “I got to pretty much most of them... I think I have maybe four or five of them left, but I am staying here till it is all done.”

“Oh… Yeah. That should be fine.” Dennis said almost in surprise. He always was one to bitch and moan about working long hours to make sure stuff was running right.

“Yeah. It shouldn’t take me long to wrap those up. Is there anything else we have to do on the network side of things?”

“Uh, yeah. If you are going to stay, we can roll forward the em… the uh, system update tonight then. At least set it up and all if you know what I mean.”

“Sure thing. Let’s do it.” Ben smiled. “But first, could you help a brotha out and get me a coke from the vending machine?”

“Yeah. Sure.” Dennis shook his head and started to leave.

“I’ll get right to work on wrapping up those last few things...” Ben called out through the closing door. “So why are you so late today?” Ben looked up back to Danielle as she was almost about to leave.

“An issue with the Carnotaur group. The older ones gashed up the runt again…. But not too badly.”

“Almond will be ok, then?” Ben wondered. ‘Almond’ was the nickname of the Carno runt due to how the stripes on her sides looked wrinkly like the surface of an actual almond. She was one of Ben’s favorite dinosaurs.

“Yeah. I think she will be… And so does Dr. Harding.” Danielle said with a smile.

“Good.” He smiled. “It sounds like you got a busy night over in the Labs tonight. Something about a few batches hatching.”

“Yeah. That is what Dr. Harding mentioned. We will see. I have to go.”

“Alright, then get going!” Ben smiled.

“Yep.” She said as she turned for the door.

“One more thing.”

“Hmm?” She stopped and looked back at him.

“Maybe if when your work is done and if I’m still here, wanna go get some drinks?” He asked, giving her a slightly suggestive eyebrow.

Danielle rolled her eyes. “We will see, ok?” Before the conversation could continue, she dipped out down the hall.

After just a short walk across the courtyard, Danielle buzzed her way into the lab building’s large lobby. The lady behind the crescent-shaped wrap around desk looked up and kind of gave her a hopeless look before turning from her screen to Danielle. She could see the exhaustion in the woman’s face; at least the day had been felt mutually around the island.

“Hey, Ms. Arnold.” The woman, Danielle remembered her name was Sarah or Stacey or something like that. “I had some messages for you from Wu, but we had a system crash about… I don’t know, twenty minutes ago and I’m still trying to get my emails back up… Just one of those days I guess...” The woman, whether Stacey or Sarah, explained as she fiddled with her pen. “They were having some problems up in the hatchery labs, too, but I think that’s all straightened out. Wu told me to make sure you headed down there as soon as you got into your lab coat.”

Danielle sighed slightly and nodded. “Alright. Thank you, Ma’am.”

“Yeah… Well, you better get going. Sounds like you’re gonna have to be in the barrel today.” The woman said, always having a slight sense of the terminology.

Danielle simply nodded again and made her way to the locker room to slip into her lab clothes. Once she was ready, she quickly set her bag down and joined the rest of the lab team up in one of the hatching labs.

“It’s nice that you finally decided to finally show up, Danielle.” Dr. Henry Wu, the lead geneticist of the InGen, commented with annoyance.

“Yeah, yeah.” Danielle lightly rolled her eyes. “We had a situation at the vet depot.” She said, not wanting to go fully into it again; it was too long of a story.

Dr. Wu gave a slight noise of further annoyance. “Well, can you explain to me how that helps us here in the labs?”

You snarky bastard. She thought. “It doesn’t. I was just telling you what happened.”

“Please try to keep your priorities straight, Ms. Arnolds.” He said in an almost scolding tone.

Danielle instead smirked. “I’ll be sure to run that by the dinosaurs... You know… To see how they feel about it.” He seemed to lose interest in the debate at that point. “What are we working with today?”

“We have two batches of eggs hatching today…” He said, looking at the clipboard in his hands. “The first will be Ceratosaur, the second will be Paralophosaurus. We administered the accelerants to the carnivores earlier and should be hatching soon.” He informed her. “You will take notes for the first batch today, later you can take the hands-on stuff as you have done before.”

“Great!” That meant she will handle newborn dinosaurs, and that was one of her favorite things in the world to do. “I’ll go grab my notebook.”

She grabbed her things and headed for one of the nearby hatch labs where there was already the bustling noise of others working; they must have been close to hatching already. That being the case, Danielle snapped to and spent some time playing assistant to a bunch of people as everyone prepared for the soon arriving dinosaurs. After a bunch of prep, everyone was left watching the batch of eggs on the incubation table. The concern of the scientists was felt throughout the room about this batch; of eight eggs, only four had shown signs of movement in the last week or so. InGen was always locked in a never-ending battle with the viability of the embryos. The process was extremely complicated and plagued with what must have been millions of variables and components that could go wrong; one fraction of a missed step or wrong bit of code and the survivability of the egg would drastically drop. Fertilization was by far the most difficult part. After an embryo passed fertilization and started growing, it was simply a waiting game. It helped that InGen had an always expanding facility of multiple labs trying everything to create and perfect the process.

After what felt like forever, three of the eggs began wiggling and bumping from side to side. As the eggs became livelier, the faint muffled squeaks could be heard as the baby dinosaurs tried to figure out their escape. Eventually, a loud crack rang out from one of the eggs; using its horned nose, the first of the Ceratosaurus hatchlings breached its egg. This crack was followed by another two, accompanied by a series of crumpling noises as the small carnivores shoved their snouts weakly through the side of the fractured eggshells. Before everyone knew it, a trio of baby dinosaurs were squealing and making a fuss as they wiggled out of the broken eggs. As the others in the room went to the hatchlings to get them from the table to go check them over, Danielle stood back and watched amazed. This was probably the 15th batch she had watched hatched, but she still hadn’t grown over the awe of their work; she somehow just grown past being so emotional that she would cry at the sight, but she still felt heavy in the throat. With all of her notes taken and her job done, she walked out into the hallway to have a seat on one of the benches in a small lounge nearby; she just needed a moment to collect her thoughts.

Due to her restlessness, she soon got up and went down to the lounge near the front lobby and made herself a cup of coffee before sitting by herself at a table in the corner of the room.

The second batch that Danielle was going to be present for was a large batch of fifteen or so Paralophosaurus eggs. This group should have a much better viability rate as they were a more complete and perfected species of dinosaur. InGen had already made at least four successful groups of them in the years before, because of this, there was a sense of confidence in the hatching lab. Danielle was a bit nervous as she was going to be one of the main staff that would give the hatchlings each their first physical after being hatched to make sure they were all good of health. She had done it a few times before but she had always been hands-on with the easier to handle babies like Ankylosaurus and Brachiosaurus; Even most of the carnivores were easier than most of the herbivores after hatching. She figured it might have done something with the natural proximity of the parents or a very old system of fight or flight for the herbivores. Whatever it was, some of the herbivores were rambunctious as hell, and she had heard stories about the ‘Para’ babies being especially hyper… ‘Bouncy’ was the exact word she had heard.

It wasn’t too long after the ‘wake up’ shock to the eggs was administered before the first of the eggs started chirping and shaking. This was quickly followed by all but one of the eggs following suit in a sort of chain reaction that led to all of the eggs nearly vibrating the whole hatching table. Soon, several of the eggs were breaking open to the frenzied beaks of the small Para hatchlings. As soon as their heads would pop free from their eggs; quickly they blinked the embryonic liquids from their eyes and tilted their heads back to all make whistling squeal noises before beginning to wiggle from the opened eggs. By the time that the first ones were out of their eggshells and learning how to hold themselves up, the last few of the hatching Paras were breaking through their eggs; only one of the eggs had failed to hatch. It was only a few moments later than the Para babies that had gotten acquainted with their legs were now curiously exploring the top of the table. One even began peer over the plastic lip, taking only half a second before making the decision to completely jump off the table; the room of scientists gasped in shock. Danielle, who had been watching the table closely, was ready to jump in quickly to catch the leaping baby.

“Jesus Christ, kid!” Danielle yelled out as she caught the small Paralophosaurus. “Is it that serious?” She asked rhetorically with a relieved chuckle. The hatchling squeaked and fussed in her hands as she lifted him up to her own eye level. “It’s…. ok… Just calm down, little one. You’ll be just fine.” She smiled at the little dinosaur, her heart-melting a little bit. “Let’s get the net up for them, guys.” Danielle told the others in the room.

The other personnel in the room quickly hopped to and put up a little metal netting skirt around the edge of the table to make sure any of the other hatchlings tried to jump off the table before they could be checked over. It probably should have been put up beforehand, but with these hatchlings, it was hard to really know how crazy the hatchlings could be. Danielle held the hatchling in her arms until the net was up around the side of the table; The little dinosaur seemed to calm down quite a bit, especially since she was lightly running her fingertips along it’s back, causing the little one to make soft cooing and warbling noises. Paralophosaurus hatchlings were arguably the cutest infants of the whole roster InGen was able to make, especially in the ‘toe bean’ department; the little bastards were soft and easy with people until very late adolescence. Once the net was put up, Danielle carefully returned the hatchling with its siblings on the table.

Once all of the babies had been given a chance to stretch their legs and get their bearings in the real world, the lab staff began to give each of the babies’ checkups to see if any of them had any issues outside of regular parameters. There was one with a slightly stunted tail and one with a questionable overbite, but neither of those was serious enough to raise any issue; their survival to adulthood would be the only way to see if those would be any detriment. After they had all gotten a good check over, the babies were put into one of the few animal crates on two rolling carts nearby. Now they had to be taken to their first pen.

With heavy carts of squealing and honking baby dinosaurs, Danielle and three other of the staff left the others to clean the hatchery room as they pushed the babies into another section of the building. After a short elevator ride to a lower floor and down a few Hallways deeper into the Hatchery labs, the carts were soon being pushed into a medium-sized enclosed pen for the babies. The enclosure was a roughly 15x15 ft. room with a lightly barred window on one side for observation purposes. There was a water trough and a few heated pads in the corner made up like nests for them along with a few other toys and necessities for them to grow.

“Alright, little ones… Welcome to your first home.” Danielle said light in tone as she began to open the crate doors.

Several of the baby Paralophosaurus’ peeked out of their crates as Danielle stepped back but only looked around nervously from the transport crates. They didn’t seem too interested in leaving their boxes.

Danielle smirked. “Guys. I got it. Leave the pen, please.” She said, having an idea. Once the other staff members had left the pen, she leaned down and picked up a brown rubber dodgeball from the floor. “Alright, girlies… let’s try this.” She said, leaning in and presenting the ball to all of them, moving it along so they could all get closer to it and smell the ball; one or two of them tried to even go as far as to lick the ball. “Good… Now here is your first toy. Go get it!” She said as she stepped to the size and lightly bounced the ball out and away from the carts. For some reason, it had been shown in the earlier batches of Paralophosaurus that they either really liked the texture or the sound of the type of bouncy ball; so it ended up making for easy entertainment.

The ball bounced off the floor and the babies squeaked and squirmed as they wiggled and hopped from their crates to give a careful chase. They had to get the bouncing new and colorful thing! Once they caught up to it, the first few to reach the ball did their best to head-butt the thing lightly, causing the chase to continue as the ball bounced and rolled away from them.

Danielle giggled and waited for all of the young dinosaurs to get out of their crates before closing them before carefully removing the carts from the room.
Sign up to rate and review this story