Categories > Original > Humor

Men and Women in Conversation

by cortezbaylor 0 reviews

Men and Women in Conversation

Category: Humor - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Published: 2020-02-13 - 893 words

0Unrated
The analysis of everyday conversations and their consequences shows the fundamental difference between the men’s and women’s speech. Women talk more and for a long period. They feel more comfortable in private speaking or so-called rapport-talk in the close circle of friends and family. In comparison, men prefer report-talk or public conversations. In such a way, they establish the social status in the society and seize the attention of the audience. The concepts of intimacy and independence apply to gender differences. Both sides are able to avoid conflict situations by exchanging and accepting their styles of speech. I believe that men are more skillful in claiming the attention than women.
The first difference is connected with the length of the man’s and woman’s conversations. The stereotype that women talk more exists for a long time. Dale Spender states that women have the necessity to be heard. Even when both sides talk for the same time, women stereotypically tell more information. Communication is a balancing act, the juggling between the intimacy and independence. The concept of intimacy is central while explaining the gender specifications in the speech length. Both sides try to build a network of friendship, compromise, minimize conflict situations. This phenomenon is a bright characteristic of women while men prefer independence. The latter tend to solve problems automatically, whereas women ask for advice on every possible occasion and they appreciate being involved into the discussion. In contrast, men feel uncomfortable about long conversations. That is why women talk more. The women start the conversation easily because the concept of intimacy foresees the closeness of interlocutors. In contrast, the independence is close to asymmetry.
Women are more confident in private speaking, whereas men enjoy public speeches. We can apply the terms report-talk and rapport-talk. The equal status of the interlocutors and the small number of them define the rapport-talk. Moreover, women enjoy gossip, which they conduct in private speaking. Most of them use rapport-talk to establish acquaintances with strangers. Women appreciate the closeness of the relationships. They do not respect those who are different in the society. Consequently, women like warm private conversations the most. From the early childhood, the girls are used to the heartwarming atmosphere of family and circle of the best friends. As a result, they apply this previous knowledge to the public speech. The idea of home has different assumptions concerning men and women. For men, home is a castle where one does not have to maintain the social status using special techniques. Conversation is not obligatory, so they have the right to keep silence at home. Women, on the contrary, consider home the place where they have the inevitable necessity to talk. They are free to talk without being judged on their communicative skills. The main difference of report-talk and rapport talk is in the status and relationships. Men usually take the floor during the conferences and seminars. Women take it as a challenge that the genders are not equal, while men are open to share the stage with women. The latter blame men because of stereotypes.
Compared to women, men approach the act of conversation with the independence and self-confidence. They use communication tools to create and maintain their social status in the society. Men easily use the methods of storytelling and humorous remarks. However, some women are skillful in holding the attention during the whole lecture. Men can apply the problem solving and critical thinking skills to reach their goals. Men in comparison to women know how to handle the public conversation and become the center of attention on the stage. They feel comfortable communicating with people who are less familiar to them. The men tend to use report-talk, which foresees the wide circle of unknown people with different social statuses.
In my opinion, the minimization of conflict situations between the report-talk and rapport-talk is possible by developing a shared conversational style between men and women. Some women are good at report-talk. They simply feel more comfortable with the family members, relatives and people who they know. This fact does not deny their skillfulness in other spheres. If a woman is a representative of a certain team, she will be more confident and less sensitive to report-talk. The public speech can be easily transformed into a private one and vice versa. Men and women can learn and benefit from two styles of conversation. Women can minimize the threat to intimacy by accepting the men’s style of speech. In contrast, men should not view the independence as a threat to their freedom.
To my mind, men are more comfortable using talk to claim attention than women. The latter mix the private and public speech. They talk about relatively important and at the same unimportant things. Women express the intimacy. They usually accommodate and adapt while speaking with people who do not share the same views. In contrast, men can concentrate and grab the audience’s attention in a few minutes. They are less nervous and emotional.
To sum up, the gender differences are obvious. Men and women approach the public and private speech in a different way. The psychological perception of the situation always differs. Despite this fact, the styles are mixed. Men and women express their personality and reveal the traits of the character while communicating.
Read more at essays-service.com
Sign up to rate and review this story