Categories > Original > Essay

Objectification of Women

by robertferguson 0 reviews

Objectification of Women

Category: Essay - Rating: G - Genres: Crossover - Published: 2020-02-17 - 863 words

0Unrated
The objectification of women is a contested issue for everyone involved. It has to be stressed that currently women either allow others to equal them to the objects or have no other opportunity but to follow the word of a man in this or that industry. The presented paper aims to discuss the issue more in detail while examining women's objectification in advertisement and its effects on the sexualization of the culture.
Women nowadays are objectified through mass culture and advertisements. She mentions several ads where a woman is transformed into an object to draw the attention of men. In particular, she shows the beer advertisement where the woman represents the bottle of the bear. Kilbourne asserts that in such a way males dehumanize females. Dehumanization, in its turn, is used in the terroristic conceptions as well as in all ideologies that aim to oppress the humans due to some characteristics that they possess. Also, she asserts it is much easier to abuse or kill the person who is dehumanized. The killing or destruction of the object is definitely not murder and not a crime to be punished for. In such a way, the advertisers negatively affect the mindsets of hundreds of thousands of people who have watched them on TV.
The TV advertisements that have been searched for this assignment also prove the thesis of the same speaker. In this regard, it should be stressed that the objectification of women is usually used in advertisements that should catch the attention of the men. For example, the Aston Martin Company has an advertisement that equals females and the cars asserting that there is no big deal that one is not the first one for them. The thing is to own the car and the woman. The Nissan automobiles are advertised as toys together with the females. The advertisement, therefore, supposed that the cars and the girls are the toys for the males. The Naran jewelry went even further. The company has issued an advertisement where the man gets access to the woman by bringing her a ring. Apart from the sexism, this advertisement also reinforces the stereotype that he makes are the ones who pay for everything. The most scandalous advertisement definitely refers to Fluid clothes. While portraying a man and a beaten woman beside him, the advertisement asserts that no matter what one is doing, his or her clothes should be perfect. This advertisement, therefore, tolerates home violence publicly. More than that, it could even be considered as a promotional tool for home violence.
The women that are demonstrated in these advertisements usually are possessors of the incredible beauty and flawlessness. Mistakenly, it creates the illusion that this beauty is real forcing thousands of women to spend their money, efforts, and energy to achieve this perfectness which is not achievable in the first place. Therefore, currently, the USA suffers from the extreme amount of eating disorders among women. More than that, these advertisements tend to become 'younger' with every year as their audience extends to teenagers and students. They are even more detrimental since the contrary to the adults the controlling and other mechanisms are underdeveloped among the teenagers. They are not quite capable of passing important decisions regarding their life and health. The eating disorders caused during the young years might then develop into serious health implications lasting for entire life.
More than that, such advertisements create the demand for the sexualization of the culture. One of the advertisements demonstrating the unisex shirt showed a normally dressed man and almost nude women both dressed in the same shirt. This advertisement exposes the underneath of the advertisement world and the real attitude towards women that is cultivated in it. The latter is simply the objects, toys that could be used to satisfy the needs of the men. In this regard, it should also be stressed that the advertisements with the men are also created with the help of Photoshop and other defects-removing programs. The males, too, look sexy and perfect on them. However, they do not have the meanings behind them. More than that, they are created to draw the attention of the males, not females. They do not reinforce social stereotypes or common misunderstandings. Finally, they are not treated as objects. As a result, it reveals a whole new meaning of the female advertisement and the new field for the women's rights activists to work in. The sexualization of the culture is not the worse outcome of these images. The reinforced messages of violence, oppression, discrimination are more important issues to deal with.
In conclusion, it should be stressed that males and females are not equally treated in advertisements. The latter tend to confirm the stereotypes that have existed for years creating the illusions of male dominance over females and reinforcing the old-fashion standards of life. The sexualization in the advertisements and their targeting at the younger generation is another important issue that should be addressed in order to stop the epidemics of eating disorders and other implications in the USA and all over the world.
This article was written by Robert Ferguson. He works as a writer at essayswriters.com.
Sign up to rate and review this story