Categories > Books > Harry Potter > What Now, Severus?

Conversing Over Breakfast

by Emilie_D 1 review

Professor McGonagall and Molly Weasley have a chance to consult with their spy.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Romance - Characters: Snape - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2006-09-22 - Updated: 2006-09-22 - 2861 words - Complete

2Insightful
Severus and Zelda were prompt; exactly one hour had passed since they had parted from Professor McGonagall. When she opened the door, Minerva saw that Severus was wearing the same clothes, except that they were clean, and an air of deep satisfaction. Both of them had slightly damp hair, and she surmised how they had spent the past hour. She raised a cynical eyebrow as they decorously entered her suite, and Severus had the grace to flush slightly.

"Hello, Molly... and Harry!" Zelda said pleasantly, walking ahead of Severus. "I forgot to tell Minerva you were coming here today, how clever of you to find us."

Harry knew better than the others what the cause of Zelda's delightful good mood was, and he stood up and gave her a hug, letting her see the smirk on his face.

"I'm old enough to be your mum, young man," she hissed with a mock frown.

"Maybe you should act a little more like a mum then," he whispered impudently, "Or maybe not..." he added. "I'm really glad he's okay, Zelda."

"Thanks, Harry," she said sincerely, kissing his cheek lightly.

Zelda turned to Molly, and her mouth was twitching slightly, as she said, "Surprise."

This unfamiliar Severus Snape in Muggle clothing startled Molly. The black leather jacket he wore made him look rather... sexy, to be frank. She looked at Zelda, who was glowing with happiness and struggling to behave normally.

"You did discuss the need for finding out what the other side is doing," Zelda said calmly, "Fortunately Severus needed a place to hide out, and more fortunately, he found me here. I think he'll be able to help considerably."

Severus joined them, saying, "Good day, Molly." He felt extremely hesitant, remembering his consistent, sour rejection of her offers of social conversation and meals at Grimmauld Place.

"Hello, Severus," Molly said, smiling kindly at him. "I'm glad to see you're alive and well."

"Thank you," he replied gravely, before turning to Harry.

"All right, Potter?" he asked, eyeing the boy carefully. It looked as though he had come to no harm in recent days.

Harry nodded, and said, "The locket's done. I'd show you, but I don't think you want that picture in your head, do you?"

"Ah... At times I wonder if I may be witnessing a glimmer of intelligence struggling out of that thick skull," Severus said sarcastically. "Not bad, Potter."

Minerva and Molly had never seen Harry and Professor Snape interact so amiably before, and they looked on disbelievingly during that brief exchange.

"The locket is to be concealed now, Severus," Minerva told him. "Please come and sit down now. You look as though regular meals have not come your way lately."

Minerva watched curiously to see how her guests would arrange themselves; she struggled for composure when she saw Harry and Severus sitting naturally on each side of Zelda. It seemed as if they both used her a means of communication - they were far more comfortable in each other's presence than she had ever seen them. Molly was watching them too, she noticed, with a slight smile.

There was little conversation while they ate. Severus was indeed quite ravenous - and he knew that once he left Hogwarts again, creature comforts were likely to be few and far between. Zelda was also very hungry, and Minerva imagined she knew why. It had been quite a while since she had known such delights, and watching Zelda's frank enjoyment of her lover's presence made Minerva more than a little nostalgic. Harry, of course, ate with a teenager's eagerness, but finally everyone seemed to be replete.

Minerva Vanished the remains of the meal, and looked around at each of them. "Shall I call this meeting to order?" she asked, speaking formally now. "We have much to discuss, but first, I believe I should ask that this... re-structuring of the Order's hierarchy be kept among those of us who are here... and Arthur, of course, Molly. I fear some of our members might be resistant, shall we say, to this arrangement. I cannot think of anything that will be more effective right now, though."

"I told Arthur last night, and while he laughed a bit, he thinks this is a fine idea," Molly said. "Someone needs to do something. I agree that the entire Order should not know all the details."

Harry nodded, but then asked curiously, "So you're really not going to tell Moody, or Lupin... or Tonks? No one else?"

"Welcome to the land of the grownups, Harry," Zelda said acidly. She looked slightly apologetic at her tone of voice, and added, "All of us have given this a lot of thought, and this way seems to be the wisest. You can tell someone else later - if needed - but you can't take it back easily, can you?"

"I guess not," he said with a worried look. This Zelda was different from the happy lady who joked with him at her house. He looked at her, and saw that she was aware of his sadness.

"It sucks, doesn't it?" she asked. "I don't like it any more than you do, kid. But you've got a job to do, and they've got a job too, to help you."

"I know," he said. "I won't tell anyone else about the... Horcruxes. I'll tell you about them later, so Professor Snape won't have to hear about them."

"Thanks, Harry," Zelda said, "Now, you should know that you may speak freely to any of us, Professor McGonagall, Mrs. Weasley or myself. That's all. Professor McGonagall's primary responsibility will be to motivate the people who won't respond effectively to Mrs. Weasley, because she has to run Hogwarts if it's going to open as usual."

"That makes sense," Harry said. He had not thought before that not everyone would like Mrs. Weasley telling him or her what to do, but he could see that maybe this was a good idea. Zelda was a Muggle too, and he knew that wizards could be very stupid about Muggles. "How long will you be here, Zelda?" he asked curiously.

"Yes, when will you be going home?" Severus asked pointedly, "I am enchanted to see you, my girl, but I cannot think of a more risky act than to bring you right into the middle of this war," he paused to glare at Minerva, and said, "She should not be here... not without me."

"We planned that I'd be here for about a week, Sev, that's all," Zelda said coaxingly. "I'd hate to leave while you're still lurking at Hogwarts. I think you'll enjoy lurking much more while I'm here."

He rolled his eyes in mock disgust. "You are mad Zelda, and of course you shall stay and lurk with me. It would serve you right if I forced you to lurk somewhere disgusting with me, but your room is quite," he said coolly, "... adequate."

"Thank you, dear boy," Zelda said sweetly.

"Severus, she has promised to work on our Muggle Studies curriculum while she is here," Minerva said sternly. "The rest of the staff is expecting wonders from my consultant, you know. I shall need something."

"He can be the consultant to the consultant," Zelda replied flippantly. "He may look all magical, but he has a remarkable secret passion for Muggle trivia. Don't worry, Minerva, all your students will drop Transfiguration in order to take this new, improved Muggle Studies course."

They all chuckled at the idea of it, and decided to separate. Harry needed to discuss the Horcruxes with Minerva in private, so they went to her office.

Zelda, Severus and Molly remained where they were for a while.

"I didn't plan to come here today, but Minerva asked me to, when she realized that Severus was here," Molly said. "When I go home, I'll contact Alastor Moody and see what he's been up to. He'll know how to contact some of the others, including ..." here, she groaned resignedly, "Mundungus Fletcher."

Zelda watched Severus wince slightly before he pronounced distastefully, "It is necessary, I suppose."

"I'll let Moody deal with him," Molly said. "He's one of the least likely people to accept suggestions from me." She looked directly at Severus and asked, "What can we do to support you, Severus? I don't know whether you'll be able to make contact with us, but if you can, we need to know what... Voldemort is doing. But if we can help you, please tell us."

Severus was surprised. He knew most members of the Order had found his presence a necessary evil, and that most now also believed him guilty of Dumbledore's murder. However, Molly Weasley was sincere. "Thank you, Molly. I will attempt to communicate the Dark Lord's movements when it is possible. I do not know yet what he is planning." His voice grew low and he said, "I wonder whether he will find me expendable soon. If that is the case, you will not know it, except by my silence."

His calm voice and acceptance of this hard truth chilled Molly, and she glanced at Zelda, whose face had become totally expressionless.

"Can we do anything for you, Severus?" Molly asked again, eyeing him narrowly.

"Help Potter accomplish his tasks. Mine cannot be finished until he has defeated the Dark Lord," he said, and his low voice was monotone. "And keep Zelda safe in my absence. She has no idea what can happen to her here, and no defense against magic. I must do what I do alone, Molly," he said, his voice growing stronger. "But thank you."

Molly looked at this wizard, whose resolve seemed unshaken in the face of overwhelming odds, and felt a burst of respect for him. Her lips trembled briefly, but she forced herself to remain calm, saying, "If there is anything, Severus... I want to know."

He nodded slowly and said to her, "Molly, are you able to do Occlumency?"

She shook her head. "I never thought of learning it. In fact I thought that you and Dumbledore were the only ones capable of it."

"Will you allow Zelda to teach you?" he asked carefully. "It may prove to be an important ability for you to have, if you can attain it."

Molly thought it was the least she could do for him, after seeing his dedication to their cause, although she doubted whether she could ever become competent at it, so she nodded.

"Don't underestimate yourself, Molly," Zelda said, striving to sound cheerful. "It'll be fun."

Severus reached for Zelda's hand, which was in her lap under the table, and she smiled at him, twining her fingers in his. "I would prefer that you be safe, Zelda," he said, "but what you can do here is valuable. I... erm, I fear to approach this subject, but would you offer to assist Minerva too? I do not know, but I assume that she may not be as capable as Dumbledore."

She smiled at him and said, "Of course, dear boy. I should have thought of it myself. Thank you."

Molly was watching them, a smile in her eyes. "We won't start just yet, will we, Zelda?"

Zelda smiled back at her with a hint of sadness in her eyes. "I'll let you know. I think you'll be busy enough rallying the troops, won't you?"

"I'll manage on my own for a bit," Molly said with a determined smile.

"Molly... I have to ask. Ron's out there with Harry, and I know Arthur and your older sons have done work for the Order. Is it too much to ask for you to know how they're involved in this? Assuming they want to be involved... " Zelda asked. "I know how I'd feel if my kids were doing this. It's far easier to do it yourself, I imagine."

Molly sat in her chair, silent, looking out the window into the blue sky. When she turned back to them, tears sparkled in her eyes. "I hate it. When we were at Grimmauld Place, there was a Boggart... I tried to banish it, but it showed me everyone I loved, dead, and I couldn't bear it... but we've already seen that staying out of this fight is no guarantee of safety. No one will be safe until this is finished." Her chin tilted in stubborn resolve and she said, "I'll do my best, they'll do their best, and somehow I'll bear it."

Molly met Zelda's gaze, knowing that they both stood to lose people that they loved dearly in this war, and was shocked by the stern resolve she saw on Zelda's face. This was a woman who would not spare herself at the expense of others, and she was deeply committed to supporting them.

"We'll both do our best, okay Molly?" Zelda said, holding out her hand to her. She gave her a quizzical look, and said, "I'd say the Death Eaters might be in for some rough times now, wouldn't you?"

Severus had watched as Zelda had carefully tested Molly Weasley's resolution, knowing exactly where her greatest vulnerability lay. He himself had no children, but he knew that - aside from his obligations - he would do anything to keep Zelda safe. They all had much to lose in this war, he thought wearily, and his life might end as soon as tomorrow night. Every time he entered the presence of the Dark Lord might be the time of his death. He had long known this, but now that life had become sweeter than he had imagined it could be for him, he must harden his resolve.

When Minerva and Harry returned, all three of them were sitting in silence, thinking grimly about the challenges ahead. They all jumped a little when the door opened, and Molly wiped her eyes.

"That is taken care of, then," Minerva said. "I'm afraid that shortly I must go and interview yet another candidate for the Transfiguration position. I wonder sometimes if Albus had as difficult a time resigning the subject to me, when he became the Headmaster."

"I should return to the Burrow," Molly said, rising to her feet. She smiled at Zelda and said, "I'll return tomorrow, if it's convenient, and let you know about my progress."

Zelda forced her grim mood back down and said gaily, "You'll just have to take my, er... progress for granted, Molly. Severus and I have much to discuss, some of it may even be business!"

Molly laughed as she headed for the door. Minerva offered to walk her toward the gates, so she accepted. They left together, each in a pensive mood, but more hopeful than before, since it seemed that something was going to be accomplished.

Harry was left standing alone, looking at Zelda and Severus. "I should go too," he said awkwardly.

"Not yet, Potter," Severus replied stiffly. "In the past you have not been amenable to suggestions without asking interminable questions. Nevertheless, I am going to suggest something to you. However, we should not spend the entire day in Professor McGonagall's rooms. Please come over with me to Zelda's room."

They checked to see that the corridor was empty, then stepped into Zelda's spacious guest room. Severus conjured another chair and they all sat at the table by the vast window.

"Wow!" Harry said, "The view from Gryffindor Tower is better than this, but this room's incredible! It's almost as big as our common room."

"Harry, it's almost as big as my house, in case you hadn't noticed," Zelda replied dryly. "With house elf service too!"

He chuckled, but remembering that they were supposed to be having a serious discussion, he turned and looked nervously at Severus.

"Potter, do not discuss anything you are doing, or learn from this point on, with any other members of the Order," he said coldly.

"No one? But, why not?" Harry asked doubtfully.

"I am certain there is a spy among the Order members. It could be one who believes in the Dark Lord, or else is under the Imperius. Either way, the result is the same," Severus told him. "It may be the last person you would suspect. I myself do not know who that person may be, so therefore you must not trust another soul. In fact, it is advisable for you to avoid Order gatherings as often as possible."

"Okay, but it might seem weird to people if I totally avoid them. And can't other people fight off the Imperius?" Harry asked slowly, "If I can do it... "

"Not many are able to resist it," Severus said. "Though of course, few people have ever experienced it, so most are unfamiliar with its power. Considerable power and the ability to master one's mind are required, and concentration. Except in times such as this, it is not something that people bother to attempt. "

Zelda had listened closely to this exchange. "Can you resist it?"

"Of course," he replied. "Although I have not been tested to the limit, but I have resisted it."

Zelda looked speculatively at him, and said, "I want to know what it feels like. Put me under the Imperius Curse, Severus."
Sign up to rate and review this story