Categories > Books > Harry Potter > What Goes Around...Comes Around...Lost and Found...Love

Happy Christmas to all

by ilex 0 reviews

Harry's first exposure to Christmas traditions that include everyone: family, friends, and a house elf. A visit to Gwen's for Boxing Day dinner. Oh, and a visit to the Weasley Twins shop.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Humor, Romance - Characters: Angelina Johnson, Arthur Weasley, Barty Crouch Jr., Bill Weasley, Blaise Zabini, Cho, Colin Creevey, Crabbe, Dean Thomas, Dobby, Draco, Dudley, Dumbledore, Ernie, Fleur, Flitwick, Fred, George, Ginny, Goyle, Hagrid, Harry, Hermione, James, Justin - Warnings: [!] [?] [R] [V] - Published: 2006-09-24 - Updated: 2006-09-25 - 2441 words

1Original
Chapter 24


Happy Christmas to All





"Wake up, Harry Potter! Wake up! It's Christmas, Harry Potter! You is going to miss it!"



Harry sat up and stretched. Putting his glasses on, he smiled at the house elf standing at the side of his bed, jumping up and down in her excitement.



"Good morning, Winky and Happy Christmas. I'm awake! I wouldn't miss this for the world."



Getting out of bed and putting on his bathrobe, Harry followed the excited house elf down the stairs to the parlor.



"Look, Harry Potter! Father Christmas is leaving you a stocking!" Winky pointed to the mantle, where five stockings were hanging.



"Looks like you got one, too, Winky. Here." Harry took his and Winky's stockings off of the hooks and handed Winky the one marked with her name.



"Winky is getting one, too?" The house elf gazed in wonder at the bulging stocking in her hands. She plopped down on the rug, right where she was standing and upended the contents on the floor. "Oh, look! Winky is getting candy, and a beautiful big orange, and oh, Harry Potter! See what Winky is getting!"



Harry glanced over at the house elf and suppressed a laugh. "Why, those are magnificent sunglasses, Winky. They suit you perfectly!"



"Is they really looking pretty, Harry Potter?" Winky asked, while adjusting the vivid pink, rhinestone encrusted sunglasses on her nose.



"Yeah. Check in the mirror out in the hall, why don't you."



Winky got up and ran to the front hall, climbed up on a chair and admired her new 'look'.



"Oh, I is liking them...Missy Anna! /Missy Anna/!" Winky tore up the stairs, headed for Anna's bedroom, shouting her Mistress' name. Harry smiled and shook his head.



X # X # X



"Well, I'm knackered. I don't ever remember such an orgy of destruction in my life." Anna leaned back on the sofa and surveyed the piles of torn paper and scattered boxes littering the parlor. "It looks like a bomb went off."



"Oh, get serious," Gwen replied, removing a wisp of ribbon from her hair. "It's Christmas morning. What did you think we'd do, sit here and open one present at a time and oh and ah over each one? Like that was going to happen!"



"I agree with Gwen," came Harry's voice from under a pile of paper. He sat up, grinning. "I've never had so much fun in my entire life! Thanks, everybody. Not just for the presents, but for including me in the celebrations."



"You're quite welcome, Harry. Maybe we should do this again, next year. It might just catch on, this marathon shopping and free-for-all gift opening, I mean," Anna suggested.



"Oh, no! Harry, why do you have to encourage her like that?" Remus wondered. "Wasn't one shopping trip with Anna enough. Have you learned nothing?"



"He's right, you know, Harry." Christopher nodded, from his vantage point on the wall.



Peals of laughter greeted that statement.



Winky appeared at the door, wearing her new sunglasses, several pairs of earrings, three necklaces and a child's pink bespangled purse hanging around her neck. "Breakfast is ready, Missy Anna."



"Wonderful! Shall we, everyone?"



"Yes, let's!" "Goodness, I just realized I am hungry." "I do need some more coffee, come to that."



"I'm going to pop up to Hogwarts to wish everyone Happy Christmas. See you later." Christopher waved at them, as Harry, Gwen and Remus headed downstairs. "Pssst!" he hissed at Anna. "I'll give your love to Severus and wish him a Happy Christmas from you, too."



"That's the nicest present I've received all day. You always did give me just the right thing for Christmas." Anna smiled up at him, and blew him a kiss.



"Seeing you happy is the best gift for me, love. TA!" he replied and disappeared out of the frame.



X # X # X



"Now, Winky, I want you to relax and enjoy yourself today. It's tradition for servants to have the day after Christmas as their own holiday. Harry and I are going over to Gwen's and we'll be back late this evening."



"Yes, Missy Anna."



"I've laid out the videos for you to watch and feel free to have anything you want to eat or snack on. Except the wine. I think we both learned a lesson there, don't you agree?"



"Yes, Missy Anna."



"Here's Gwen's phone number. You know how to use the phone now, so don't hesitate to call, if you need anything or have a question. Ok?"



"Yes, Missy Anna."



"I think that's everything. Well, see you later, Winky."



"Yes, Missy Anna."



X # X # X



Harry and Anna descended the front steps and headed up Harley Street, enjoying the bright winter sunshine as they walked toward Regent's Park. They were heading for Camden and Gwen's houseboat, moored in Regent's Canal.



"Did you bring your slingshot with you, Harry?'



"Yeah, got it in my pocket."



"Good, I've got mine too. Let's cut through the park. I think acorns would be good size ammo to start with. We can practice when we get to Gwen's."



"Cool. But, can I ask exactly what we'll be doing with these slingshots? Or do I have to wait, like the rest of the class, until we get back to Hogwarts?" he asked, smiling at her.



"Using them for decoying and disrupting, Harry," she answered.



"Oh, well, that's alright then...what are you talking about?"



Anna laughed. "Clear as mud, eh? Ok. Decoying - causing a diversion - misdirecting someone's attention. Making a noise somewhere other than where they are looking. If you can fire a shot and hit something behind someone, they will almost always turn to see what made the noise. Gives you a second or two to move or disappear, if need be. Or draw their attention from someone else who might be cornered. Better than a spell, which can be dodged and you can also, unfortunately, see. And, it can be traced back to where it originated, thereby making you a target. Not good, in most situations.



"And disrupting?" Harry inquired, intrigued by this information.



"Ah, well, it's a bit silly, really, but have you ever seen those old Muggle westerns, where the good guy always shoots the bad guy's gun out of his hand, instead of just shooting him outright?"



"Yeah, I have."



"Well, it seemed silly in those cowboy movies and damn near impossible to do in real life, /but/, if you get good at target shooting, you might be able to hit someone's hand, who is pointing their wand at another witch or wizard. Or Muggle, for that matter. Even if you don't knock the wand out of their hand, you could knock their aim off, so they miss, or maybe break their wand. Giving the other person a chance to defend themselves or escape.



"I see. So, basically, we're using non-magic to fight magic? That's what you meant about 'some things they wouldn't expect us to use', correct?"



"Correct. Most wizards wouldn't know John Wayne from John Inman. So, advantage D.A."



Harry laughed. "Now there's a mind picture that's going to be hard to get out of my brain. Thanks a lot!"



They crossed Marylebourne Road and entered Regent's Park. Finding a large oak tree halfway along the Broad Walk, they collected a bag full of acorns and then headed northeast, to the Parkway and on to Camden Road. Turning southeast, they continued halfway down Pancras Road, and then headed east, on Goods Way to Regent's Canal and then Gwen's mooring spot.



"It's only a few more blocks, Harry, and then I think we can sit on the deck and target shoot at old cans. I need the practice, myself."



"Good idea. This has been a nice walk, though. I'm seeing more of London then I ever have in my life."



"And to think, you have more than two weeks left to explore. Maybe you should call Hermione and let her take you around. It's her hometown, after all. I'm going to be busy, visiting Alice and Frank as much as I can, to work with them. Sorry about that, but I'll try to show you around, too."



"I understand, and I can find plenty to do, trust me. I think it's great what you're trying to do with Neville's folks. Just don't wear yourself out. It's your holiday, too, not just mine. You should relax and enjoy yourself, at least a bit."



"Point taken, Harry."



X # X # X



Sitting on the deck of Gwen's converted canal barge, Anna and Harry spent most of the afternoon knocking old cans off the railing, watched by Remus. When it got too dark to see they made their way below, to the tiny living room, where they all relaxed before eating.



"This boat is really neat, Gwen," said Harry after having taken the 'ten-cent' tour. "It's just the right size for one person." He flopped down in an old arm chair.



"Or, two," Anna whispered to him.



Harry looked over at Gwen and Remus, setting the table.



"Remus doesn't live here, does he?"



"If he's not at my place house sitting, when Gwen's in town, yes. Lord knows when he was last at his flat."



"This morning, for your information," Remus leaned over and stage whispered in Anna's ear.



Harry snickered and Anna blushed.



"Yes, Harry, Gwen and I are 'an item'. You may have noticed. But we've only gotten serious about each other during this last year."



"And before you ask, Harry," Gwen stuck her head out of the kitchen, "yes, I do know about Remus' condition. It doesn't matter to me. It's a medical, well, magical condition that he has under control."



"Oh. Well, I..." Harry stammered.



"It's ok, Harry. Gwen helped her father formulate the pills I now take, instead of that vile Wolfsbane Potion. She's comfortable with it, despite my own misgivings about her having that knowledge at all." Remus shrugged. "She's inherited her father's scientific mind. It's just another medical condition to her, like diabetes or epilepsy. So, we could move past that and get to know each other."



"Gotcha. That's cool."



"Speaking of cool; come and have dinner before it gets stone cold," Gwen called from the kitchen.



X # X # X



"Gwen, that was a lovely dinner." Anna smiled at her step-daughter, as Remus and Harry took the plates from the table.



"Well, I have been working on my culinary skills, so as to not have to practice medicine on my own guests," replied Gwen. "How'd the target practice go? I could hear the thunks when you hit those old tin cans while I was getting dinner ready.



"I'm ashamed to say that Harry was doing better than I. A bit rusty, or I need glasses, one of the two."



"You were doing just fine, don't exaggerate, Anna," Remus chided her. "Harry just has a good strong arm and natural ability for targeting. Must be all those Snitches he's had to grab out of the air, eh, Harry?"



"Quite possibly, come to think of it," Harry nodded agreement. "It wasn't too hard to find the right sighting angle, but that slingshot is a lot more powerful than it looks. Our first targeting practice back at school should be really interesting."



"Indeed. I've already figured out how I'm going to set up the Room of Requirement. You'll get a kick out of it, Harry."



"Tell me."



"No, I have to keep some secrets from you students. I know if you get together with any of the D.A. gang over the holiday, you'll tell them all about the reasons for the slingshots, so I'm not telling you any more."



"Party pooper."



"Anna, a party pooper? Oh, Harry, you don't know Anna very well if you think she'd ever be a wet blanket when it comes to parties," Gwen informed him, laughing at the very suggestion. "I'm surprised she didn't throw a party to celebrate Winky's arrival into the household."



"Oh, now, that's a bit much, even for me!" Anna giggled. "I did think about it, though, but then, we had enough to do to get ready for Christmas."



"Since when would that stop you, Miss 'any excuse for a party'?" Remus crossed his arms and regarded his old friend. "Back at Hogwarts, you would nick food and drinks from the kitchens and throw a party at the drop of a hat!"



"Did you really?" Harry inquired. "Quite the Marauder yourself, eh?"



"Well, truth be told; that map was used for quite a few trips around the school by Lily and myself."



"Remember that one New Year's Eve, when James, Sirius, you and Lily popped down to my home and we had our own party, while my folks were out at a party down the street. The excuses I had to come up with to explain why you all were there, passed out on the floor when they came home!"



They all rolled with laughter as Remus recalled the incident. Suddenly, Anna sat bolt upright. A smile, a rather /devious /smile, spread across her face.



"Oh, oh. I don't like this one bit." Gwen leaned over to Harry and Remus. "She's got that look on her face and she's thinking, fast and hard. That's always a bad sign."



"Yeah, I've also seen that before, too many times. We're in big trouble."



Harry reached out and touched Anna's sleeve. "Anna?"



"Excuses...a plausible excuse...perfect!" Turning to the others, she smiled sweetly, which was alarming in the extreme. "I am going to throw a party. A New Year's Party. I know it's short notice, but I think I can get some friends to come. HE! HE! HE!"



"Oh, Lord, I know that laugh, too." Remus shook his head. "We're in for another adventure, Harry, my lad."



"I'm up for it," exclaimed Harry. "Need any help, Anna?"



"No! Harry! You don't know what you're getting yourself into!" Gwen grabbed his hand. "You're too young/ / to sacrifice yourself like that." Her lower was lip trembling, then she started giggling, throwing herself sideways to avoid being swatted on the arm by Anna.



"If Harry can get in the holiday spirit, so can you two!" Anna looked from Gwen to Remus and back again, her eyes flashing.



"We didn't say we wouldn't help, just that Harry should be more cautious when volunteering like that. Especially if it's one of your 'plans' he's getting caught up in," Remus suggested.



"Humph! Anyway, we'll start tomorrow. I have to think about it a bit first." Anna settled back in her chair, with a far away look in her eyes.



"Oy vay, we are in such deep trouble."


Sign up to rate and review this story