Categories > Books > Harry Potter > What Goes Around...Comes Around...Lost and Found...Love

Change of Plans

by ilex 0 reviews

Harry and Neville surf the Floo Network. Anna goes back to Hogwarts early, for several reasons.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Humor, Romance - Characters: Angelina Johnson, Arthur Weasley, Bellatrix, Bill Weasley, Blaise Zabini, Cho, Colin Creevey, Crabbe, Dean Thomas, Dobby, Draco, Dudley, Dumbledore, Ernie, Fleur, Flitwick, Fred, George, Ginny, Goyle, Hagrid, Harry, Hermione, James, Justin, Kingsley, - Warnings: [!] [?] [R] [V] - Published: 2006-09-26 - Updated: 2006-09-26 - 2256 words

1Original



Chapter 32



Change of Plans





With a poof of green smoke, Harry and Neville appeared in the kitchen fireplace of #42 Harley St.



"I'll check down here, you check upstairs," said Harry.



"Right." Neville took the stairs two at a time as Harry went the length of the kitchen to look in the conservatory, and then he headed for the office.



"Anna?"



No one there, either.



"Aunt Anna?"



Harry could hear Neville calling. Nothing. Harry hurried up the stairs to the front hall, where he dropped the backpack by the hall table.



"Nobody's here, apparently," Neville noted, emerging from the library.



"Wait.../WINKY/?"



"Harry Potter, sir, is that you?" the house elf inquired as she came hurrying down from the upper floors, dust brush in her hand.



"Where's Anna, Winky? It's important we talk to her, straight away."



"Oh, she is going to St. Mungo's. She is seeing your parents, Neville Longbottom, sir," reported Winky, turning to Neville.



"When's she due back here?" asked Neville. "Did she say?"



"For lunch, Missy Anna is telling me. At one o'clock, which is meaning two o'clock, sir." Winky smiled.



"Right. Thanks, Winky." Neville turned to Harry. "What's the fastest way to St. Mungo's?"



"Floo."



"Let's go."



Turning, they thundered down the stairs, back to the kitchen.



"St. Mungo's!" they chorused as they threw down their handfuls of Floo Powder.



X # X # X



Arriving at the Long Term Care unit, they looked through the small windows set into the doors. They could see Alice Longbottom seated at the far end of the ward, gazing out the window, but no sign of Anna. Neville reached out and rang the bell. The ward matron came to the door and recognizing Neville, smiled and opened the door wide.



"Master Neville! What a pleasant surprise. Come in. And Harry Potter, too, how nice to see you again."



"Hello Sister, is my Aunt Anna - Professor Twigg- Jones, here?"



"She was here, but left with Professor Lupin about half an hour ago."



"/Damn/!" Harry exclaimed. "Didn't happen to say where they were headed, did they?"



"No, dear. I'm sorry."



"That's ok, Sister." Neville smiled at her.



"I've got an idea about where they went. Come on Neville."



"I'll be back later to see Mum and Dad, Sister."



"Very good, dear, we'll be here." She waved goodbye and closed the door.



X # X # X



"Where do you think they've gone, Harry?"



"Headquarters. Come on, let's go." They started down the stairs.



"I've never been there, although Professor Dumbledore told me all about it last summer, when he came to see me. It's at #12 Grimauld Place."



"You remembered the address?" Harry stopped dead in his tracks to turn and look at his notoriously absentminded friend. "I'm impressed, Neville."



"Oh, shut up. I can remember what I need to. I figure; everything else I can look up, or ask Hermione."



They both laughed as they clattered down the stairwell, headed for the Floo Station in the lobby of St. Mungo's.



X # X # X



Anna, Lupin and Mad Eye Moody were seated at the kitchen table, downstairs at the Headquarters of the Order of the Phoenix, #12 Grimauld Place, which had been the home of the Black family for generations. Now, with Sirius' death, it had been willed to Harry, but stood vacant, except when needed by the members of the Order. But there was still an ancient house elf, Kreacher, who skulked around, muttering, doing nothing towards the upkeep of the place. They could hear him shuffling about upstairs, which was just as well, as they didn't trust him not to try to eavesdrop and then leak information to the only remaining members of the Black family he deemed worthy; Narcissa Black Malfoy and Bellatrix Black Lestrange



"I'm going back to Hogwarts a few days early to get ready for this term. I've got lots to set up and plans to finalize with Filius Flitwick concerning the spells and charms the kids need to start learning this term. I'll be pushing them, hard, but I think they're ready and they'll be eager to get back to it, when they all hear the news."



"Let's hope we won't have to utilize them in the near future," Remus expressed his concern. "I'm not sure I would have been ready when I was their age."



"Wasn't even thought of back then, lad. But, with young Potter involved, it seemed like the rest of his age group just fell into step with him."



"I just worry if..."



Poof! Green smoke belched from the fireplace as Harry and Neville stumbled out, brushing soot form their clothes.



Looking up, Harry grinned. "Did I hear my name?" He looked at Mad Eye. "You were saying, Professor Moody?"



"Harry/! /Neville/! What the /hell are you two doing, popping in like this! You're supposed to be at Ron's until lunchtime." Anna was on her feet, hands on her hips, angry scowl on her face.



"Knock it off, Anna," Remus reached out and touched her arm. "They've heard, or they wouldn't be here. Right, lads?"



"Too bloody right we've heard. So, what's the latest? Mr. Weasley didn't know much, earlier this morning, when he came back to The Burrow to tell us," Neville asked casually, as he and Harry pulled up chairs.



Anna sat down, slightly taken aback by Neville's boldness. Harry just grinned. Remus sat back, arms crossed, enjoying seeing Anna at a loss for words. Mad-Eye looked at her, shaking his head.



"Cat got your tongue, there, Anna?" he growled.



"What? Oh, no, I just, well, I wasn't even thinking about seeing these two this soon and it's set me back a minute. Well, ah, let's see. They still don't know how it was managed, but that's a moot point, really, isn't it. I'm not even thinking about the Death Eaters. I'm just anxious to get back to Hogwarts and get going again with your training...class work. I'm going back Thursday, just to get everything ready and get with Professor Flitwick to go over this term's agenda."



"We'll go with you," Harry volunteered and Neville nodded agreement.



"No, Remus is going to see you both onto the Express on Sunday and you'll be coming back with the rest of the students. Besides, I can only fit one of you on the back of Tut and I'll make better time by myself." Anna looked back and forth between the two boys, who looked at each and then nodded that they understood and agreed with her plans.



"Alright then, we'll just have to get the D.A. together for a quick meeting Sunday night, after the evening meal. Spread the word on the train while you're traveling back on Sunday," suggested Anna.



"Right, but I expect we'll be hearing from everyone before then, as soon as word of the escape gets out.



"Well, hopefully, by Sunday night, we'll have more definitive news. I'm going over to the Ministry with Mad-Eye this afternoon and get briefed. So tell Winky I won't make it for lunch, will you?"



"Can we come with you?" asked Harry, knowing the answer, but trying anyway.



"No. You don't work for the Ministry and you're underage and a student and not supposed to know this stuff or know about the Order or...need I continue?" Anna stopped counting on her fingers and smiled at Harry, who grinned back.



"I knew you'd say that, Aunt Anna," Neville laughed, "even as the question came out of Harry's mouth."



"Actually, the best thing would be for you two to get back to the house and enjoy the rest of your holiday, as normally as possible," suggested Remus. "There really is nothing for you to do. Seriously."



"Right, well, we'll just pop off, then." Neville stood and Harry followed him to the fireplace. "You'll be home for dinner, then, Aunt Anna?"



"Yes, about sixish."



"Ok, see you about seven then."



"Cheeky! But probably correct."



"Goodbye boys," Remus said, smiling at them.



"Potter, Longbottom." Mad-Eye held out the pot of Floo Powder.



Standing side by side, they threw down the powder as they said Anna's address and /Poof /they disappeared.



"Have to keep an eye on those two, Anna." Moody stumped back over to the table. "Determined to get into it, I'm thinking."



"But they make a good team," Anna observed. "I may encourage that." She tilted her head and watched the green wisps of smoke drift up the chimney.



X # X # X



It was just after sundown on Thursday when Anna turned Tut onto the gravel drive leading up to Hogwarts Castle. She had left London early that morning, leaving Winky to watch over the boys. The house elf had wanted to accompany her new mistress, but agreed to stay and come back on the Hogwarts Express in Neville's backpack. Anna had also arranged for Molly and Arthur Weasley to come to London on Saturday, bringing Ron, Ginny, Hermione and Luna, staying overnight at the townhouse, and then seeing all of the kids onto the Express on Sunday morning.



That gave Winky more than enough to do, and she wasn't all that upset about being left behind.



"So, shall we make it official?" Anna asked before she left. "Would you like to be my house elf permanently, Winky? Do you think you can be happy, now that you've seen how it is in this crazy household?"



"Oh, yes, Missy Anna! Winky would be honored to be you's house elf." She had thrown herself into Anna's arms and burst into tears of joy.



Now, as Anna climbed the stairs to her chambers, she realized how much the little creature had come to mean to her. She missed her. 'Oh well/,' she thought, '/I'm spoiled already, but I suppose I can manage /on my own until Sunday night/.'



X # X # X



Changing into a gown and robe, she made her way down to the Great Hall. There was a small table in front of the staff table, set for dinner. Professor Dumbledore, Minerva McGonagall, Severus Snape and Professor Flitwick were already seated when she entered the vast room.



"Anna, my dear, you made good time," observed Albus Dumbledore as he rose to greet her. Flitwick and Severus also stood.



"I left very early. The weather forecast wasn't very promising. Icy roads and motorcycles don't go together. Well, hello Filius," said Anna as she gave the diminutive Charms professor a hug and kiss. "How was your holiday trip?"



"I had a delightful journey, thank you. And your holiday in London?"



"Hectic, crowded, noisy and loads of fun. Minerva." Anna gave her a peck on the cheek.



"I'm glad you beat the foul weather, I can hear the wind starting to pick up, as we speak."



"Indeed. It was starting to get nasty just as I drove through Hogsmeade."



Severus pulled out her chair as she paused to give Albus a hug and kiss.



"Thank you, Severus." She laid a hand on his arm. He nodded his head and sat back down.



X # X # X



Dinner passed pleasantly, with the telling of stories of their days as students at Hogwarts. Even Severus volunteered an anecdote about Anna in potions class, comparing her first efforts to those of her godson, Neville.



"Severus, that's a lie," Anna protested, "I never melted a cauldron in my life. It sprang a leak, that's all.



Professor Flitwick was laughing so hard he nearly toppled off of his chair.



"Oh Anna, did you really?" he squeaked. "Oh my, that's very amusing!"



"Ha, ha, very funny." She crossed her arms and turned to pout at Severus. "Thanks a /lot/, Severus. Go ahead and ruin my reputation."



"Hardly. I was just relating a true story for the amusement of my fellow staff members. "



"Well said, Severus," said Minerva McGonagall as she whipped tears from her eyes. "Oh, that was funny, Anna, admit it."



"That's it, I give up." Anna threw up her hands, and then turned to give Severus a long thoughtful look. "Hum, let's see if I can tell a tale on you, old friend."



"Doubtful. I was a model student."



"Ha!"



"Pardon me?"



"I can think of two incidents I could talk about and totally embarrass you, but, I won't. I'll hold them in reserve, for future reference, I think."



"Really. I shudder at the thought."



"Putz!"



"Yes."



"Ditto."



X # X # X



"I've got an awful lot of preparation to do tomorrow, so I'll come to your classroom on Saturday morning, to discuss the schedule, Filius, if that's alright with you?"



"That would be fine, dear. Good night all."



The tiny Professor scuttled off down the hall, leaving the others standing at the bottom of the grand staircase.



"Good night, Filius." "Pleasant dreams." "Good night." "Good night."



"Well, I think the best course of action is to maintain as near an atmosphere of calm and normalcy as possible, when the students return." Dumbledore looked at the other three. "We can't pretend the breakout didn't occur, but the less it's mentioned, the less the students will worry. Don't ignore their questions, but don't dwell on it, either." The others nodded in agreement. "Well, then, I'm off to do some reading. See you all sometime tomorrow, probably lunchtime. Goodnight."



"Goodnight, Albus." "Headmaster." "Sleep well, Albus."



"I'm off, myself. Goodnight, you two," said Professor McGonagall as she turned and headed to her rooms.



"Goodnight, Minerva." "Professor McGonagall."



At last, they were alone, standing, gazing at each other.



"Midnight."



Severus turned and went down the stairs leading to the dungeons as Anna climbed the main staircase.
Sign up to rate and review this story