Categories > Books > Harry Potter > What Goes Around...Comes Around...Lost and Found...Love

Good News & Bad News

by ilex 0 reviews

Remus and Narcissa both are faced with life altering events. Good news and bad news.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Humor, Romance - Characters: Angelina Johnson, Arthur Weasley, Bellatrix, Bill Weasley, Blaise Zabini, Cho, Colin Creevey, Crabbe, Dean Thomas, Dobby, Draco, Dudley, Dumbledore, Ernie, Fleur, Flitwick, Fred, George, Ginny, Goyle, Hagrid, Harry, Hermione, James, Justin, Kingsley, - Warnings: [!] [?] [R] [V] - Published: 2006-09-26 - Updated: 2006-09-26 - 2139 words

1Original


Chapter 37



Good News & Bad News





Lunchtime found Justin and Ernie presiding over the grill, flipping burgers and rolling hotdogs like old bar-b-que pros. Winky had assembled all of the rolls, buns, condiments and side dishes out on the barn's back terrace, which was sheltered from the wind off of the sea and had lots of spring sunshine warming the flagstones. From the terrace, you looked out over the croquet lawn, to the surrounding woods.



Wearing a new spring flowered pillowcase "uniform" Winky hardly seemed the same house elf that had Anna had found in the kitchens of Hogwarts, nearly four months earlier. Smiling at everyone, making sure glasses were filled, clean plates available and bowls filled with food, she was really in her element. Even Hermione was suitably impressed.



"She seems quite happy...busy, but happy."



"Yes," agreed Anna, "she's over the moon with all this activity. Told me the Crouchs never entertained, so she was just doing basic housekeeping for years. Hustle and bustle is what she enjoys. She's been working on getting this place ready for /days/."



Suddenly, a phone on the wall rang and before anyone could move, Winky had sprinted across the terrace, picked up the receiver, and announced, "Briarwood Manor, Winky speaking."



She listened for a moment, and then smiled. "Yes, Missy Gwen, she is right here. You wait."



Holding up the receiver, Winky stage whispered, "Missy Anna, is Missy Gwen on the telly-a-phone."



With everyone watching, and not a few snickering, Anna took the proffered phone. "Thank you, Winky. Hi, Gwen, what's up? Ah huh, ah huh...really?!? REALLY!?! That's /wonderful/! No, wait, he's right here. Remus, take it!" Offering the receiver to him, she grinned.



Puzzled, Remus put the phone to his ear. "Hi, how are you? What?" There was a long pause. "WHAT!! Are you serious/?!? That's /fantastic/! You don't know what this means...Oh, right...maybe you /do know, better than anyone but me. Still...after all these /years/! What? Yes, I'll come straightaway. See you in a bit. Love you, too."



Hanging the phone up, he stood, staring for a moment, and then turned to Anna.



"Did she tell you?"



"A bit, but she wanted to tell you everything first. Is it true?"



"Yes, apparently. I can hardly believe it."



"Oh, Remus, this is wonderful!" Anna threw her arms around Remus neck and hugged him. He picked her up and spun her in a circle. Suddenly, they realized the whole group around them had gone silent. Looking about, smiling sheepishly, Anna poked Remus in the ribs. "Tell them."



"Where do I start? Ok...Anna's husband, Christopher, had been trying to find a better treatment for my lycanthropy. He did manage to get the Wolfsbane potion reduced to pill form and then strengthen it so I'm not as adversely affected by my transformations.



"Doctor Gwen Jones, his daughter, has continued the research on her own, not just monitoring my condition and making my pills and she's just called with the most astounding news." He took a deep breath. "She's isolated a virus and she's confident she has found a way to, if not cure my condition, at least make it non-reactive to simulation."



Looking around at the blank, quizzical faces, he looked at Anna.



"In other words, people," she smiled and explained, "put it in remission. Remus would still be, technically, a werewolf, but he wouldn't transform at the full moon. Like any disease, if you take your medicine, maybe you're not cured, but it's under control; you don't have symptoms or outbreaks."



"Like someone who has epilepsy taking Dilantin to control their seizures?" asked Hermione.



"Precisely!"



"Remus, this is /fantastic/!" Harry clapped him on the back as Hermione threw her arms around his neck and gave him a big hug.



As the rest of the students realized the far reaching implications of this news, they, too, joined in the congratulations and celebrating.



"I have to get to London. I promised Gwen. Will you be alright with this lot? I did volunteer as your assistant chaperone." Remus turned to Anna.



"I'll be fine. You go. Give Gwen a hug and kiss for me. I'll call you two later tonight."



"Right. Well, goodbye everyone. I'm popping off to London to get all the details. I'll send an owl to the school with a full report. Ok?" Remus addressed the group.



"Sure, go!" "Great, we'll look for it." "Have fun!" Our love to Gwen!" "Bye, Professor!" "Great news, we're really happy for you."



Giving Anna a quick peck on the cheek, he Disapparated.



"Well, back to the party, fun seekers."



X # X # X



Lucius Malfoy Apperated in a clearing, just deep enough in the woods behind Briarwood Manor to see the house but not be seen. Walking over to the three wizards watching the house, he took a quick look and then faced them.



"Where is she?"



"Over by that big barn. The werewolf, Lupin, just left, but he might be back. And there are about two dozen Hogwarts students there, too. Some kind of party."



"Well, they'll have to go home eventually. We'll just watch and wait. I won't need her until midnight."



Lucius walked further back into the woods and settled himself on a fallen log, stretched out his legs, crossed his arms and smiled.



"Take turns watching, but stay hidden under the cover of the trees. Don't let anyone see you or I'll kill you, myself," he instructed.



"What if those kids don't go home?"



"Don't be stupid. She can't have all of them stay overnight. They'll leave later tonight, in all probability. Then she's mine."



X # X # X



When everyone had had some lunch, Anna stood up and clinked her glass for attention.



"Ok, now that we're well stuffed, would anyone care to take the grand tour of the house and grounds, to walk off some of your lunch? Or feel free to use the game room. Oh, yes, look over the video library and make your choice and I'll set up a movie for after dinner this evening. You can, of course, go back to the pool or just relax, it's up to you."



Most of the girls opted to tour the house, but a few decided to lie out in the warm sunshine for a little rest and a good start on their summer tans. The guys headed into the barn, with about half checking out the video games, pinball machines and rows of videos on the shelves. The rest went back to the pool.



The afternoon passed quickly, ending with a fierce, free-for-all croquet game. Then they settled down to have a leisurely dinner and movie as the sun began to set and the spring chill returned to the grounds.



X # X # X



"I have to go to Malfoy Manor and have a word with Narcissa. Stay here and keep an eye on things. Don't go sneaking up to peek through the windows, even though it's sundown. I won't have this plan ruined when I'm this close to getting her."



"Don't worry, we'll stay here."



X # X # X



Narcissa stood gazing out the window, watching the shadows cast by the setting sun lengthen across the front lawn. The grounds of Malfoy Manor were showing signs of spring; daffodils and crocus were blooming and tulips were pushing up through the earth. Some of the trees were blooming; others had fat green buds ready to open.



But she saw none of this; her mind was far away, detached, looking for answers. A door opening and closing behind her brought Narcissa back to reality. She turned. "Draco?"



Lucius stood there, looking at her.



"Lucius! What are you doing here?"



"I won't be long, my dear, so don't worry your pretty little head."



"Are you /insane? /There are Aurors coming every other day, looking for you!"



"Then don't let them in. Where is Draco?"



"Out. He went over to the Parkinson's to go horseback riding with Pansy."



"Ha. I bet horses aren't the only thing he'll be riding."



"Lucius!"



"When he gets home, tell him I'll be returning at midnight. He should be ready to go with me."



"Where are you taking him?"



"To meet my Master, his Master, after tonight."



Narcissa gasped.



"Do I sense an objection?"



"/Yes/. He's too young, Lucius. Let him finish his schooling first. /Please/."



"Nonsense; he's had enough schooling. That fool /Dumbledore can't teach him anything useful. I'll see he gets a /proper education, at our Master's knee, starting tonight at his marking ceremony. I'd invite you to join us, but the pre-ceremony 'festivities' might not be to your taste."



"Festivities?"



"Oh, the usual; a little rape, a little torture." Lucius smiled, but it was more of a leer.



"Lucius, please don't do this...he's too young..."



"Stop whining. He'll be of age in two months and I know what's best for Draco and how to get him started on his path to greatness, in service to the Dark Lord. Also, I'll have a surprise for him that I think he'll enjoy. His favorite professor will be the guest of honor."



"Severus Snape is ..."



"No/, not Severus...although I /do believe he'd enjoy what I have planned. It's a secret, you see, but actually, I was speaking of Anna Twigg-Jones. She'll provide the 'entertainment' for the evening."



"What are you saying?"



"She will be my redemption in my Master's eyes. I bring my son for his marking ceremony, provide the perfect victim for Draco's first killing spell and rid my Master of an Auror and former thorn in my side all at the same time. Plus provide someone for the others to vent their 'frustrations' on. Draco, too, if he doesn't get enough satisfaction over at the Parkinson's. This should be a night to remember."



"Draco knows about this?"



"No, he doesn't. It's a surprise; for him /and /my Master. Haven't you been listening?"



"She'll never let you take her alive. She'll kill you, Lucius. Draco told me about her. She's not some wet behind the ears, newly graduated Auror anymore. She's quite capable of defending herself, according to him. Please don't do this, Lucius. You'll get hurt, or worse, killed."



"Such concern on your part, my dear," Lucius remarked sarcastically. "I appreciate that, but I'm perfectly capable of subduing that Muggle loving bitch. If it's necessary, I'll just dump her body at my Master's feet. Personally, I think Draco exaggerated. She's nothing more than a glorified..."



"She'll kill you."



Turning slowly, he regarded her through narrowed eyes. "You doubt my abilities?"



"No...you're a very powerful wizard. But, I am concerned she's faster, her skills might be sharper and she'd not stupid. She'll not be taken, Lucius. I'm begging you; don't do this."



"Begging? My, my...your heart felt pleading is touching. What's your ulterior motive, Narcissa? Surely not my welfare, there must be something else."



"I'm just afraid for you, Lucius. And Draco..." Turning away, she hung her head.



"You're a terrible liar, Narcissa." He walked up to her, grabbed her chin and pulled her head around; forcing her to look at him. "Why are you so concerned?"



She looked at him for a long moment and then dropped her eyes.



"I'm pregnant, Lucius."



"Whose child is it?"



"/Yours/... a little New Year's present."



"That's your story. Well, get rid of it, just in case it isn't mine." Letting go of her chin, he turned away.



"No."



He froze and turned back.



"/No/?"



"I want this child, Lucius."



"And I don't. Get rid of it...or I will."



"No."



In two steps, Lucius was on her. Grabbing Narcissa's arm, he backhanded her across her face, cutting her cheek with his signet ring. Then he hurled her across the room, where she crashed into a console table and fell heavily to the floor. Lucius stalked over and yanked her to her feet, shook her violently and backhanded her again.



Putting his face close to hers, he hissed, "When I return tonight, I want proof that you've gotten rid of it. Do I make myself clear? If not, you'll be coming with Draco and me to visit my Master. Perhaps he'd enjoy ridding you of your 'little bit of baggage'. Think of the fun we'll have; just one big happy family, doing things /together/."



He threw her, hard, against the wall, where she collapsed in a heap. As Narcissa struggled to lift herself into a sitting position, Lucius walked over to her, knelt down and grabbing a handful of her hair, yanked her head back.



"/Get rid of it/!"



He flung her down and her head hit the floor with a nasty crack. Standing, he kicked her. She grunted and rolled over. Lucius kicked her again, turned and stalked out of the room. Narcissa heard the door slam, just before she lost consciousness.


Sign up to rate and review this story