Categories > Books > Harry Potter > What Goes Around...Comes Around...Lost and Found...Love

Emergency!

by ilex 0 reviews

Severus gets a shock and an assignment. Draco's discovery will change his life. But how?

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Humor, Romance - Characters: Dumbledore, Ernie, Fleur, Flitwick, Fred, George, Ginny, Goyle, Hagrid, Harry, Hermione, James, Justin, Kingsley, Lily, Lucius, Luna, Lupin, Marietta Edgecombe, Molly Weasley, Moody, Narcissa, Neville, Padma, Pansy, Parvati, Percy, Peter, Petunia Dur - Warnings: [!] [?] [R] [V] - Published: 2006-09-26 - Updated: 2006-09-27 - 2369 words

1Original



Chapter 40



Emergency!





KNOCK. KNOCK.



Severus' head snapped up from the book he had been reading. Who would be knocking on the door to his private chambers at this hour? Glancing at the clock on the mantel he saw it was just after midnight. Rising from his chair by the fireplace, he opened the door to find Albus Dumbledore standing there in the hallway.



"Headmaster?"



"Severus, may we come in; it's rather urgent?"



We?"



Then his gaze traveled past Dumbledore's shoulder and Remus Lupin stepped forward into the light of the corridor torch. Severus' years of practice at not displaying his emotions almost failed him. /ANNA/! he thought, and he actually felt his heart skip a beat and thud against his ribs. He stepped back and let the two wizards enter where few, indeed, had ever been admitted. Closing the door gave him a few seconds to compose himself totally.



"What has happened?" he asked, turning to look at Dumbledore.



"Anna Twigg-Jones was attacked by Death Eaters at her country house. She was injured but not too seriously; certainly nothing life threatening. However, that is not why we came down here at this late hour and disturbed you. I have a task for you."



"You did not interrupt anything of importance, Headmaster. What is it you would have me do?"



"I think you should to go to Malfoy Manor."



Severus straightened up, his face taking on a thunderous look.



"Was Lucius one of the attackers?"



"Yes, along with Fredrick Goyle, Stephen Crabbe and Walden Macnair. Those three were captured in the house by Anna and Winky. Lucius, however..."



"Disapparated...again?"



"No, Severus." Remus stepped closer. "He's dead. Anna killed him."



Snape swung around to face Lupin, his penetrating gaze settling on the tired, worried looking man, who didn't, to his credit, flinch under Severus' scrutiny.



"They dueled?"



"No, she was already wounded when she went outside to the garden to face him."



"The woman is beyond foolish!"



"I agree," Remus replied with a small smile, "but when he started to throw the killing curse...Anna shot him."



"Shot?"



"With her gun."



"Anastasia has a Muggle gun?"



"Yes," Dumbledore nodded. "Christopher insisted she carry it, always, for protection; as a last resort. It appears his instincts were correct."



"I see. And you want me to go to Malfoy Manor to break the news to Narcissa and Draco?"



Dumbledore nodded. "As Draco's Head of House, family 'friend' and classmate of Narcissa's, I think it might be better coming from you, Severus, before the Ministry of Magic descends on them. I talked to a few key people and they assured me the 'official' visit could wait until later this morning. AND, you could keep anyone from outside of the Ministry from intruding." He glanced at Severus over the top of his half-moon glasses.



"Like Rita Skeeter," Remus injected. "She'll go wild with this story." He shook his head at the thought.



"For once, Remus, we agree about something." Severus glanced over at him. "You look dreadful, by the way. Could I offer you a strengthening potion?"



"No. Thank you, Severus. I must get back. I've already taken Gwen to St. Mungo's to help with Anna's care, but I need to give a report at the Ministry, as soon as possible." He ran his fingers through his hair.



"Then I will leave for Malfoy Manor. I'll contact you, Headmaster, later today."



"Yes, do. Remus, I can count on you to keep me updated as to Anna's condition?"



"Of course, Albus."



"Splendid. Well, shall we?" Dumbledore swept his arm, indicating the door. Severus grabbed his traveling cloak and followed them out into the corridor.



X # X # X



Click! Draco winced and then pushed the front door of Malfoy Manor open, just wide enough for him to slip inside. He was late getting home and didn't fancy a lecture from his mother. It was quiet and still in the hall.



Good/, he thought, /she's asleep. Think I'll have a little drink.



Entering the front parlor, Draco flipped his wand to light some candles and walked to the drinks tray on the sideboard. He grabbed a short tumbler and unstoppering a glass decanter, poured himself a finger of whiskey. Turning, he started to walk to the sofa when he saw Narcissa sprawled on the rug. The glass shattered as he dropped it, running to kneel next to her.



"Mother!"



No response. Turning her over gently, he gasped as he saw the bruises, blood and swollen face. He felt for a pulse, sighing with relief when he felt blood pumping through the vein in her neck. Jumping up, he went quickly to the fireplace, grabbed a handful of Floo powder, threw it in and stuck his head in the green flames that shot up.



"St Mungo's...it's an emergency!"



"St Mungo's Emergency Service." The Healer on duty looked up at him. "How can we assist you?"



"I'm Draco Malfoy. My mother has been attacked. I need someone here at our house, /now/!"



"That's Malfoy Manor?"



"Yes! Hurry, damn it, she's been badly hurt!"



"I'll have someone there in just a minute, Master Draco. Stay calm. Is she conscious?"



"No, but she's breathing. It looks like she's been beaten."



"Is anyone else there at the Manor?"



"No. I just now arrived home and found her. She was here alone."



"Right. A healer is just leaving."



"Thank you."



Draco pulled back out of the fireplace. As he stood and turned around, he heard a 'pop' in the front hall.



"In here," he called.



The Emergency Squad Healer came through the door. Draco pointed and the Healer hurried over and knelt by Narcissa. Draco started pacing nervously, trying to stay out of the way. After quickly checking her, the Healer took his wand and carefully floated Narcissa onto the sofa.



X # X # X



" 'Rennervate'" Her eyelids fluttered.



'Pop...pop' Draco heard two more people Apperate in the front hall. More Healers/, he thought. /Good.



Narcissa opened her eyes and looked around, trying to focus. She saw Draco and held out her hand.

Going to her, he knelt down next to the sofa and took her hand in his.



"Mother, who did this to you?"



"Your father," she gasped through her swollen lips.



Draco stood, livid with rage.



"I'll kill him!"



Narcissa grasped his hand tighter.



"/No, Draco/! You don't understand!"



"How could he do this to you?"



Narcissa pulled herself up a little. "Draco, what time is it?"



"What?"



"What time is it?"



"I don't know, 12:30 maybe. Why?"



Narcissa collapsed back onto the sofa.



"You're too late, Draco. He's already dead. She's killed him."



"What? Dead? She who? Mother, you're not making any sense..."



"He said he'd be back at midnight. He's not here, so his plan failed."



"Plan? What plan? I don't understand..."



"I told him she'd never be taken. I warned him not to go; I begged him."



Tears were streaming down her face and she started to sob. Then she pointed past Draco.



"Ask them," she whispered hoarsely, "they know."



Draco whirled around. Severus Snape and his cousin, Nymphradora Tonks were standing there.



"Professor! Tonks/! Why are you two here? Where's my father? What the /bloody hell's going on? And /what/," pointing at his Mother, "is she talking about?"



"Draco...Narcissa..." Severus walked forward. "Lucius is dead. He was killed during an attack upon and unsuccessful kidnapping attempt of Professor Anastasia Twigg-Jones."



"/What/!" Draco went pale.



Narcissa's sobs were the only sound. Tonks walked around Draco, sat down on the edge of the sofa and gathered her aunt gently in her arms.



"Oh, Aunt Narcissa. I was at St. Mungo's and heard Draco's emergency call for help. I just had to come."



Narcissa buried her face in Tonks' shoulder.



"Why would he attack her?" Draco looked at Severus, disbelief on his face.



"Frankly, I have no idea. Professor Dumbledore was alerted about the attack on one of his staff members and asked me, in my capacity as Head of Slytherin House and old family friend, to come here to break the news to you and be of what help I can.



"I was given few details; just that your father and three other Death Eaters went to her country home. She subdued and captured three of them inside and went out to the garden, severely wounded, to face your father."



"They dueled?"



"No. Apparently her wand and arm had already been broken."



"Then how...?"



"She shot him...with a Muggle gun."



"It was self defense, Draco," Tonks said over her shoulder. "Your father was going to kill her."



"/Shut up, Tonks/!" Draco spun around, hands clenched.



"I was there/, Draco! I /saw what had happened and there's a witness, too."



"Draco." Narcissa held out her hand toward her son. "Your father said if she wasn't captured alive, he'd take her to his Master, dead. He didn't care which way."



"Where is she?" Draco turned back to Snape.



"St. Mungo's; gravely injured, I'm told."



"I hope she /dies/." Draco spat.



"Unlikely," Severus replied, turning toward the sofa. "However, what we need to think about right now is /you/, Narcissa. How is she?" addressing the Healer, who had been fussing around his patient the whole time.



"Numerous but superficial bruises, cuts and abrasions. Two cracked ribs and some trauma to the abdomen with slight internal bruising. The baby is, however, unharmed."



Draco spun around to stare at the Healer. "BABY!?! What baby?" He looked at his mother. She nodded.



"That's why your father beat me, darling. He insisted I get rid of it and I said...no...so...he beat me."



Draco's mouth moved, but no sound came out.



"Oh, Draco," Narcissa whispered, tears welling up in hers eyes. "What am I going to do?"



"Might I suggest," interrupted the Healer, "taking Madam Malfoy to St. Mungo's?"



"NO!" Narcissa gasped, shaking her head. "I won't go there, not like this."



"Very well. Have I your permission, Master Draco, to move your mother to her bed chamber, where she could at least be made more comfortable?" the healer addressed him. "I can start administering the healing charms as soon as she's settled."



"Certainly," Draco agreed. He looked down at his cousin. "Tonks, could I impose on you to show the way? Second door on the right."



"Of course, Draco."



She rose from the sofa and gave him a kiss and a hug. He held her tight for a moment.



"Thanks Tonks," he whispered in her ear.



The Healer had levitated Narcissa onto a stretcher and proceeded out of the door and up the staircase, following Tonks.



X # X # X



Draco stood next to Snape watching their progress and then his shoulders slumped. He was suddenly a kid; a lost, sad, hurt, bewildered, scared kid. A noise escaped his lips, whether a sob, gasp or curse didn't matter as he brushed away the few tears that fell on his cheeks.



"My father was a /fool/! Look what he's done; left us alone, my mother's pregnant, I'm not of age or even out of school yet and the Dark Lord will want to know what happened and why. /I don't have the answers/."



"Why should you? You're not responsible for your father's personal activities, Draco. The Dark Lord will have to accept the fact that Lucius' death was the result of his own decisions and actions. You and Narcissa had nothing to do with any of it."



"But she's got a lot to answer for, hasn't she?"



"Your mother or Professor Twigg-Jones?"



"Twigg-Jones."



"And answer to whom? The Wizarding community or the Dark Lord?"



"Both. And to me," Draco sneered.



"First," Severus began, "the Wizarding community will applaud her actions and be appalled by your father's.



"Second, the Dark Lord will want revenge, if not for your father's death, then for the inconvenience she's caused, depriving him of four of his followers. To say nothing of making him look like a fool for not having his followers under control. Or he'll be blamed for the failed attack. He /won't /be pleased, either way.



"Third, and most importantly," Severus concluded, "if you learn anything from your father's mistakes, you will see that trying to exact your own revenge on Professor Twigg-Jones looks, at the least, ill advised and at worst, suicidal."



Spinning to face Severus, Draco exploded in rage and grief. "She killed my father/.../bastard that he was, he was my father!"



"In self defense," Snape answered quietly.



"Shot him! With a Muggle /gun/!"



"She's notoriously resourceful."



"Whose side are you on/? Are you /defending her?"



"No, simply stating the truth. When it is kill or be killed, self preservation is a strong instinct. How would you act in the same situation? Think Draco!"



Draco ran his fingers through his hair and shook his head.



"I can't," he answered softly, looking down at the floor. "My mind's not working properly. When I think about it all, I just get raging mad; at Father - at that bitch Twigg-Jones - at Mother - no/, not at her, she didn't do anything except try and stop him. God, Severus, she's /pregnant and he beat her, knowing she was. How could he?"



Snape let is pass that Draco had called him by his first name.



"If it's any consolation, I have had first hand experience, dealing with a similar situation of my own. My father attacked my mother when I was also in my sixth year. She did not survive, however. Your mother, thankfully, has. You have to focus on that, Draco. She needs you, so let us handle the next few hours and days, one at a time. I'll stay, if you wish, in order to lend my guidance and support.



"Thank you, Professor. That would be a great help to me and a comfort to my Mother, I'm sure. I'm sorry...about your parents, I mean. I had no idea."



"That's quite alright, Draco. The subject rarely comes up. Most students assume I crawled out from under a rock."



That brought a wan smile to Draco's face



"I better go up and see Mother. Will you come with me?"



"Certainly."



Putting his hand on Draco' shoulder, he gave it a small squeeze, and then they headed upstairs.














Sign up to rate and review this story