Categories > Books > Harry Potter > What Goes Around...Comes Around...Lost and Found...Love

That BLOODY clock

by ilex 0 reviews

'Fessing up to the truth...it's good for a laugh, anyway.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Humor, Romance - Characters: Angelina Johnson, Arthur Weasley, Bellatrix, Bill Weasley, Blaise Zabini, Cho, Colin Creevey, Crabbe, Dean Thomas, Dobby, Draco, Dudley, Dumbledore, Ernie, Fleur, Flitwick, Fred, George, Ginny, Goyle, Hagrid, Harry, Hermione, James, Justin, Kingsley, - Warnings: [!] [?] [R] [V] - Published: 2006-09-27 - Updated: 2006-09-28 - 2078 words

1Original



Chapter 43



That BLOODY Clock



Draco Malfoy was noticeably absent at the evening meal on the day the students returned from their Spring Holiday break. Pansy Parkinson was sniffing into her handkerchief with Millicent Bulstrode patting her sympathetically on the shoulder. Vincent Crabbe and Gregory Goyle sat further down the table, talking quietly with Theodore Nott.



The whole school knew, of course, about the attack at Professor Twigg-Jones' house and Lucius Malfoy's death. How she had overcome and captured Crabbe, Goyle and Macnair and then faced Lucius Malfoy and killed him.



Professor Twigg-Jones and Professor Flitwick had exchanged seats, to put some space between her and Professor Snape, who looked positively thunderous. Anna and Filius Flitwick were conversing in hushed tones.



The other houses kept glancing at the Slytherin students, but no-one was gloating or laughing. It was an almost unconscious, quiet show of sympathy for their fellow student's loss. Many remembered the aftermath of Cedric Diggory's death; but that had been a student, killed on Voldemort's orders. This was very different, but still, Voldemort was at the center of the drama.



As the meal progressed, the level of chatter slowly returned to the usual volume, until Dumbledore rose, after the dessert course was cleared, to speak to the students and staff.



"A brief phrase or two, if you would be so kind as to indulge your old Headmaster." He smiled warmly at them all.



"As most of you know, one of our students has had a death in the family. Draco Malfoy will be returning to us at week's end. I would ask all students to be sympathetic to Mister Malfoy without prejudice as to the circumstances of his father's death. I do not believe children should be held accountable for or judged by their parents' actions. Mister Crabbe and Mister Goyle should be treated with similar courtesy.



"Professor Twigg-Jones has also been through a traumatic experience and has asked no further acknowledgement of the last week's events. That is all I will say on the subject.



"You all look well rested and refreshed by your holiday, so we'll see you at breakfast, ready to start classes. Off you go!"



X # X # X



Snape immediately swept from the staff table and down the Great Hall, the Slytherin students falling in behind him as he led the way to the dungeons. The other house tables were slower to move and when the last of the Slytherins left the Great Hall an animated buzzing filled the air.



"I don't think Draco will come back," Ron surmised. "He's probably signing up with You-know-who, right now, to take his dad's place."



"Don't be daft, Ron," said Hermione. "He'll be back; he's Voldemort's best source here at Hogwarts to feed fresh information back to him."



"Snape looked right upset, though, didn't he? Fellow staff member kills father of his favorite student." Harry chimed in. "Self defense won't mean anything to him. So much for that old friendship going anywhere."



"Did you notice how they had separated their seats?" observed Ginny. "She couldn't move too far, but she really didn't want to sit /next /to him, obviously."



"I don't blame her," Neville agreed. "I've had him glare at me like that and it's not a look you want directed at you, if you can help it." He shuddered at the very thought, as the others nodded.



Just then Professor Twigg-Jones walked by, smiled wanly and waved, but continued on her solitary way.



"She looks awfully sad, like she's lost her best friend." Ginny whispered.



"You mean Snape? She's better off without him, if you ask me,' countered Ron.



"One good thing; she doesn't have Draco in any of her classes, so they'll only see each other at meals," Hermione said. "Still, it's going to be strange, she did kill his father."



"Who was trying to kill her/, don't forget!" Ron reminded Hermione hotly. "Don't you go feeling sorry for Draco, /or his family. They deserved this, for following Voldemort."



"I know, Ron, still..."



"Ron! You said Voldemort!" Harry was smiling at his friend.



Ron jaw dropped. "Blimey, I did." He looked around, turning red, as the others laughed.



"Still," Hermione continued her thought, "Draco might try something stupid, maybe with Voldemort urging him."



"Hermione, I think Anna has proved that she can take care of herself," Harry calmly suggested, /but/...maybe we should watch for signs of trouble. Quietly, of course."



"Ok, then let's alert the whole D.A., just to be safe," said Neville. "We'll just practice what Anna and Mad-Eye preach; 'Constant vigilance'."



"Right. Let's get going."



X # X # X



That Thursday, the sixth year N.E.W.T.s arrived from Flitwick's class a little apprehensive as to how Anna would be fairing. She'd seemed very subdued at meals, even missing a few during the start of the week.



"She doesn't seem too sad, just...I don't know...strangely quiet. Is that the phrase I'm looking for?" Hermione asked, more to herself than anyone in particular.



"We'll soon find out," Ron replied, as the door swung open and the students filed into the classroom.



Anna was sitting at her desk, sealing a scroll of parchment. After attaching it to Wally's leg, she carried him to the window, speaking softly to him. Giving him a treat, she released the owl to fly out and start on his journey.



Returning to her desk, she sat on the front edge, facing the class. Smiling at them, Anna clasped her hands in her lap and heaved a sigh.



"I know you have a thousand and one questions and I promise to answer them, but first, I have a couple of things that I have to get out of the way.



"First: Anything you hear in class today is not to be repeated to anyone, except the other senior D.A. members not present in this class; Ginny, Luna, Katie, Dennis, that lot. They have a right to know, but tell them if they have any questions, I'll speak with them later.



"Second: I know all of you have been escorting me around the school, under cover, but right there with me, just the same."



The kids glanced at each other.



"We were that obvious?" asked Neville.



"No, but remember, my hearing is a bit better than most, so I heard you, even if I didn't see you. And thanks...it's a lovely gesture, although maybe a little overkill during school hours?"



"I told you!" Ron hissed at Hermione.



"Look, I understand your reasoning and if you all insist on doing bodyguard duty, I'll make it easier on you. I'll only come out of these rooms for breakfast, lunch and dinner during the week, plus I'll only go to the teacher's lounge on my free break, on Wednesday afternoon. Not much potential for trouble then, during school, but after dinner and on the weekends, feel free to trail me around if and when I venture out. Make short watch periods and overlap so no one spends too much time out in the halls, especially if you're supposed to be studying.



"Mostly, you can do this on the weekends, as I hate being cooped up. It's good practice for all of you and I want you to really pay close attention to Hogwarts. I know that sounds strange, but get to know every nook and cranny."



"We know our way around, Anna; you won't give us the slip."



"Oh, I'm not going to do that. I know you've learned how to get from point A to point B, but what about in between. Remember Harry and Neville's little adventure at the bookcase? How may other places like that are there in Hogwarts? Places of concealment or for observing. Think about it. Keep an eye out from now on."



"Anna, only you could turn this into a lesson in progress or running practice session," laughed Harry. "And I know one of these days you'll explain why, too."



"Just know you territory, Harry, and all the advantages and disadvantages it has. That's all."



"Ok, we'll let it go for now. But, there'll be a quiz on this, I just have a feeling." Ron shook his head.



"Alright, you cheeky lot; let's see how good your powers of observations really are, then. Describe the front hall of Briarwood Manor." Anna leaned back, crossing her arms and looking around at the students.



"Gorgeous split staircase with a landing."



"Double parlor on the right."



"Dining room next on the right, toward the back of the hall."



"Two bedroom wings upstairs, going off from the balcony above the landing."



"Kitchen and side hall past the dining room."



"Big study and library on the left."



"That had a door into the room with the billiard table."



"And you could also enter that room from the hall, on the left, past the stairs."



"Also, the other side hall, at the rear of the house, which led to the walkway to the barn."



"Center table."



"Big paintings, landscapes, mostly."



"Mirror by the door of the study."



"Big Grandfather clock in the right hand corner by the front door."



"AH, HA/!" Anna shouted, which caused the students to jump. "It's that /bloody big, ugly clock I have to talk about."



"What?"



"Raise you right hands! Come on, up, up!"



They raised their hands cautiously.



"Repeat after me: I solemnly swear..."



"I solemnly swear..."



"That what Anna is about to reveal..."



"That what Anna is about to reveal..."



"Will not be repeated... except to that lot I mentioned earlier..."



"Will not be repeated...except to that lot she mentioned earlier..."



"So help me, Aunt Hortenza."



"So help...Who?" "What?" "Aunt...who?"



Anna laughed. "My Aunt Hortenza, on my Father's side. Nasty old witch. Next to her, Neville's Gran is Mary bloody Poppins!"



That caused laughter all around, Mary Poppins being a well loved children's story in both Muggle and Wizarding homes. Of course, only the Wizarding world knew it was the true story of a witch who loved all children and had been Nanny to Muggle children as well as little witches and wizards for years.



"Now, that said, I'm going to tell you what really happened, so get comfortable; this is going to take a bit."



And making herself comfortable, Anna started telling them the whole tale, from the beginning; right after they had all port keyed home.



X # X # X



"Just then, Christopher yelled for me to watch out and I thought he saw Lucius was coming in the front door, so I spun around, holding Winky up with my left arm and I pulled out my wand with my right hand, but I saw the door was still closed. At about the same instant I heard this /CRACK/!"



"You don't mean to tell us..." Hermione had her hand to her cheek. "Not the clock?!?"



"Too right, that bloody/, honking /grandfather clock was crashing to the floor and Winky and I were the only things in the way of it's descent into a pile of kindling."



"What happened?" "How?" "Did /it/?" "Are you saying..."



"Yes, yes, the clock is what did all the injuries to yours truly. And broke my wand. I did take a second to toss Winky, bless her heart, rather unceremoniously out of harm's way and I tried to roll clear myself but didn't quite make it. Late as usual! Old 'Father Time' caught me, but good!"



Stunned silence. Anna looked around at the open mouths and wide eyes.



/Five...four...three... two...one.../she thought.../now/!



It began with a snort, a giggle, several Ha!s, then generalized hysterical laughter broke out across the room. Anna just sat there, waiting patiently, shaking her head, until it settled a bit, but just as she started to try and say something, she glanced up at Christopher's smiling face and he nodded and winked at her and that was all it took. She started laughing, too. One of those jags; when she tried to stop, someone would catch her eye and she'd be off again, tears rolling down her cheeks, sides hurting. Everyone wound up gasping for breath, but finally settled down.



"Now remember," Anna continued when she found her voice, "you're sworn to secrecy. I have to try and maintain my reputation. I can't have the Slytherins finding out about this. Bad enough all of you won't soon let me forget my downfall, much less that lot!



"Too right." "We promise." "Mum's the word!"






Sign up to rate and review this story