Categories > Books > Harry Potter > What Goes Around...Comes Around...Lost and Found...Love

Confrontations

by ilex 1 review

What has to be done...will be done. A late night visit and Dobby's new assignment. It's the only thing for it.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Humor, Romance - Characters: Angelina Johnson, Arthur Weasley, Bellatrix, Bill Weasley, Blaise Zabini, Cho, Colin Creevey, Crabbe, Dean Thomas, Dobby, Draco, Dudley, Dumbledore, Ernie, Fleur, Flitwick, Fred, George, Ginny, Goyle, Hagrid, Harry, Hermione, James, Justin, Kingsley, - Warnings: [!] [?] [R] [V] - Published: 2006-09-28 - Updated: 2006-09-28 - 2783 words

2Original

Chapter 45



Confrontations







Emerging from the teacher's lounge and walking toward her classroom, late on Saturday afternoon, Anna had her nose in an old cookbook of her mother's. Suddenly, she realized there was someone in her path and she skidded to a halt. Lowering the book and looking up she found Draco Malfoy standing in front of her with his arms crossed, blocking her way.



"Mister Malfoy."



They stood looking at each other of a long moment.



"You wanted something?" she asked, finally breaking the silence.



"You killed my father."



"It was a matter of self defense, Draco; kill or be killed."



"How do you know he was going to kill you?"



"Beside the fact that his able assistants were talking about what he had planned for me, your father told me exactly what he had in mind, when I staggered up to him."



"Why did you have to kill my father? What did he ever do to you?"



"I didn't want to kill your father, Draco, although I did have a reason to do so. You see, your father killed my father, in cold blood, fifteen years ago. Didn't he or Professor Snape ever tell you the story? How odd. However, I had decided, long ago, that seeking revenge by killing Lucius would serve no purpose; that capturing him and bringing him to justice should be my preferred course of action. /He/, however, did not think that was such a good idea.



"He'd already tried to hex me once and I had wounded him. I gave him a second chance, Draco. I begged him not to try another curse. He raised his wand and started to say the killing curse and I did kill him, to save my own life. I am truly sorry, Draco. It wasn't my decision; it was your father's actions that forced me to shoot him to save my own life."



"I hate you, you filthy Mudblood bitch!"



"I know you do. Believe me, I understand, too. I hated your father for years, with the same intensity. But hatred will eat away at your soul, Draco. It did mine, for a very long time. That is until I realized it wasn't about me or Lucius or even my father; it was about Voldemort. He's the cause of all of this hatred and death. Voldemort is the one who deserves to die."



"/SHUT UP/! How dare you speak the Dark Lord's name?"



"I dare to and will continue to do so because he's not my lord or master. He's a sick, crazed, power hungry, death fearing maniac. And a Mudblood, too, don't forget. I'll spend my last breath trying to rid our world of him."



They stood toe to toe, Draco livid with rage, Anna calm and unruffled.



"Draco," Anna spoke softly, "don't let Voldemort's litany of hatred, power and death poison you, as it did your father. You're smarter than that. You can see what it has done already; we're both without our fathers because of him. How many more people have to die?"



"Only one - /you/."



"I'm sorry to hear you say that, but so be it. At least I know how you feel. I don't hate you, Draco. I never have and I don't think I ever will. I want you to at least hear and understand /that/. I know you feel compelled to avenge your father's death, as I did mine for the longest time. I can live with that."



"Not for long," growled Draco.



"Don't be foolish, Draco, you're not skilled enough to give me a good bruise, much less kill me. And your little friends lurking in the shadows over there aren't any threat, either."



Draco shifted nervously and then looked over his shoulder at the dark hallways on either side behind him where, indeed, six of the Slytherins were standing in the shadows, wands out.



"They're more likely to hit you than me, so I'd reconsider this ambush. I rate their skills to be even less than yours. Still, the entire lot of you wouldn't stand a chance..."



"That sure of yourself, are you?" Draco smirked.



"Oh, I'm not bragging; it's just that there happens to be at least four D.A. members watching this confrontation as we speak. So, perhaps you should retreat with as much grace as you can muster. 'Live to fight another day', Mister Malfoy."



"I don't see anyone."



"And you won't...but are you willing to take a chance I'm bluffing? Remember the ribbons. It's your move, Draco, so, take a moment and think before you act."



Realizing she was right, and hating her even more for it, Draco glared at Anna and then brushed past her and walked away, followed sheepishly by the other Slytherins. Sighing, Anna watched them down the hall and then turned toward her chambers.



"Thanks, people. See you at dinner."



"Right." "You bet." "What a git." "Yeah, see you at dinner."



Anna smiled and went back to reading the cookbook, humming to herself as she walked away.



X # X # X



Dobby stood by the front doors of Hogwarts, watching the slowly approaching figure make its way up the long road from Hogsmeade. It was late in the evening and no students were about, except for the occasional patrolling prefect.



As the visitor walked up the steps, Dobby opened the door just enough to allow entry. Then, closing the door, he turned and led the way upstairs to the Headmaster's office. Holding open the door, Dumbledore ushered the visitor to a chair.



"Thank you, Dobby."



"You is welcome, Professor Dumbledore, sir."



"Please stay, as I will need you to do an errand for me, shortly."



Dobby nodded and stood silently by the door, waiting patiently.



Narcissa Malfoy lowered her hood and turned to regard her former house elf.



"How are you, Dobby?"



"I is very fine, Miss."



"Do you like it here?"



"Oh, yes, Miss, I is happy at Hogwarts."



"Good. I'm glad to hear that. I did worry how you'd fare on your own."



"I is sorry about Master Lucius."



"Thank you, Dobby."



Turning to Dumbledore, who had taken a seat behind his desk, she smiled. "Thank you for seeing me at this late hour, Headmaster. But, you did say, when we talked at Lucius' service, that if I needed help with anything, I could come to you."



"Of course. Please sit down."



Narcissa removed her cloak and draping it over one of the chairs facing Dumbledore's desk, wearily sat down.



"Your message had an urgent tone, so...how can I help you?"



"As I told you in my letter, I suspect the Dark Lord of plotting to kidnap me, to force Draco to join him. Just before I sent you that owl, Bella came to the Manor and told me, rather enthusiastically, that she's looking forward to helping with the baby and seeing more of her nephew. If she's in hiding with the rest of the Death Eaters, this hardly seems possible. Unless, she knows I'll be at their hideout and I would not go voluntarily. If Draco decides to join them, it won't be because he was forced by threats on me or the baby. He will have to decide on his own." Narcissa finished in a rush, a little out of breath. She nervously twisted a handkerchief.



"Do you think it likely he'd join?"



"I don't honestly know. Before he returned to Hogwarts, and the subject came up, well, one moment he was mad at his father, the Dark Lord and all of the Death Eaters and the next, he sounded like his father, disparaging Muggles and Mudbloods, Anna Twigg-Jones and Harry Potter and...even you. I'm sorry."



"Don't be." Holding up his hand, Dumbledore smiled warmly at her. "He's going through the grief process and trying to sort out all of the conflicting events and circumstances that led to Lucius' death."



"Can you help me, Professor Dumbledore? I didn't know where else to turn."



"I have been thinking about your situation and, yes, I do believe I can offer a solution. /But/, I must warn you...you may not like what I have to say."



"I'm at my wits end, so I'll listen to whatever you suggest."



"Good. First...Dobby, could you go and ask Professor Twigg-Jones to join us, please. Don't tell her Madam Malfoy is here, just that I wish to speak to her about a very urgent matter."



"Yes, Professor Dumbledore, sir." Dobby turned and left the office.



"What has Anna to do with this?"



"She's the key to the plan to hide you, Narcissa."



"/Will /she help me?"



"Will you let her?"



Narcissa hesitated for just a second. "Yes. I don't blame her for Lucius' death, as I know she was just defending herself. Lucius told me he'd kill her if she resisted. I also knew she'd not be taken alive. I warned him that she'd fight back." A small sob followed, but she didn't give in to tears. "I'm mad at Lucius for being a fool, not at Anna for killing him in self defense."



Dumbledore nodded. "Anna, herself, is still trying to come to grips with having to kill Lucius. Self defense - even for a trained Auror, is a harsh reality. Killing another human being; it's against Anna's basic nature. This whole incident has been very hard for both of you."



Narcissa nodded and then sighed. "When we were here at school together Anna and I weren't close friends, but we were cordial. She and Severus were always close, for some strange reason, that is, until his mother's death. Then he closed himself off from everyone, not just Anna, but most of the other Slytherins, also.



"I owe Severus a debt of gratitude for being there for Draco and me, helping with the arrangements and keeping nosy reporters away."



"Yes, I understand Rita Skeeter was in her element."



"Loathsome bitch!"



"Succinct, but, also, too true." Dumbledore chuckled and Narcissa gave a small smile. "Could I offer you some food or a beverage?"



"Something cool to drink, please."



X # X # X



"Dobby! Slow down, for Pete's sake!"



"Hurry, Missy Anna; this is important!"



"So is not breaking my bloody neck!"



"HA! HA! You is funny, Missy Anna!"



They arrived, somewhat breathless, at the stairs to Dumbledore's office. Dobby bowed Anna up the spinning spiral of steps to the office door. She knocked.



"Enter."



"Evening, Albus." Anna walked through the door. "What is so bloody impor...tant.../Narcissa/?"



"Hello, Anna."



"What...why...I.../Albus/?"



"Very well put, my dear. Join us, won't you?" The Headmaster shook his head, chuckling.



X # X # X



Anna reached out and fumbled for the arm of a nearby chair, not taking her eyes off of Narcissa.



"Certainly. I just...forgive me for sounding like a blithering idiot, but, the last person I ever expected to see was...well.../you/, Narcissa."



"Anna, please understand," said Dumbledore, "there are some very unusual circumstances surrounding this meeting. Be seated, won't you?"



"I /bet /there are."



Anna looked down at the chair beside her and sat, with a puzzled look on her face. She glanced, again, at the widow of the wizard she had killed. This didn't make any sense to her and the expression on her face made Narcissa smile.



"Anna, I'm not here because of what happened. I'm here because I'm afraid of what might happen."



"What? Now I'm really confused."



"Narcissa has asked my opinion and is seeking my help to find a place for her to hide. What she has heard from Bella Lestrange leads her to believe Voldemort is thinking of having her as a 'permanent guest' at his hideout." Dumbledore explained. Anna's head snapped around to look at him. "For her own 'safety', I imagine, would be the explanation."



"Anna," Narcissa said, softly, as Anna turned back and listened intently, "he'll use me to get to Draco. I don't want my son joining the Death Eaters, but he must make that decision, /himself/, without the threat of my well being and that of my unborn child, used to 'persuade' him. Not if I can do anything about it. That's why I'm here."



Anna nodded, and then looked at Albus.



"Kidnapping and blackmail," she said, "Sounds like the usual tactics. But, what do I have to do with this. Maybe I'm missing something, but, I did kill Lucius." She turned back to Narcissa, "I am truly sorry it came to that. You should hate me, be trying to scratch my eyes out, not be sitting here chatting with me." Anna cocked her head slightly, and Dumbledore smiled, watching the two of them.



Narcissa took a deep breath and looked at Anna. She felt she had nothing to hide from her former classmate, but everything to lose if she wasn't perfectly honest.



"I don't hate you, Anna. I understand /completely/, that you acted in self defense. I've read the transcript of your hearing and know you only reacted as you did as a last resort. I don't blame /you/, I blame Lucius and I blame his Master, /even more/, for the fact that my husband is dead. But, I also suspect you've heard how Lucius treated me when I told him I was pregnant."



Anna nodded.



"It wasn't the first such incident, so, I suppose it is no surprise that I'm not mourning him as much as would be expected. That's the past, and I'm not looking back. My only concern now is Draco, and my baby." Narcissa laid her hand on her abdomen.



X # X # X



Anna turned to Dumbledore and gave a small nod. "What do you need, Albus? Wait, that's a dumb question; a hiding place."



"Correct. That and I think it might be a good idea for you to be Narcissa's Secret Keeper."



Narcissa threw back her head and laughed. "Brilliant!" She reached over and took Anna's hand. "No one would suspect me of trusting you with that information. We wouldn't be expected to be in the same building, much less sitting here together, chatting about sharing secrets. I trust you completely, Anna, with our lives."



Anna squeezed Narcissa's hand and smiled, tears in her eyes. "I don't know what to say."



"Oh, and speaking of secrets, I know about the clock, too." Narcissa giggled. "But I'll keep quiet, who would I tell?"



Anna's eyebrows shot up and she rolled her eyes. "Great." Looking at Albus, she plunged ahead. "Ok, where to hide Narcissa is the problem, is it?"



"Yes. Can you think of any place we could use that is small enough for one but has room enough to not seem claustrophobic? Narcissa is used to the spaciousness of Malfoy Manor."



"Which is too big, by half," Narcissa commented.



"Hummm...OH! I do/...it would be /perfect/, and there's /no way anyone would suspect Narcissa of being there."



"Briarwood?" Albus asked.



Narcissa's eyes widened and she shook her head. "No," she whispered. "Not there."



"No, no, not Briarwood Manor. How about the 'Little Lodge' on the far back edge of the property? You don't even approach it from the same road as the main house. It's almost as if it's a totally separate estate. There's not even a road or lane or even a path on the grounds that connects the two."



"Does that sound reasonable, Narcissa?"



"Where is it exactly?"



"West side of the Lake District; about two miles inland from the Irish Sea. A lovely old cottage, it was modernized for Muggle habitation, of course, but that's a minor problem. I think you'll be quite comfortable."



"Dobby," Dumbledore called the house elf forward. "This is where you fit into our plan. I am asking you to take a leave of absence from Hogwarts, on salary of course, to be house elf for Madame Malfoy. You know her likes and dislikes and I believe you would be a good companion for her. If that's agreeable to you both?"



"Dobby would be proud to be Madam's house elf again, if Madam is liking Dobby to be?"



"Dobby, it is I who would be honored. It will be lovely to have you around again."



"May I make a suggestion?" Anna spoke up, raising her hand.



"Certainly, Anna." chuckled Albus.



"You could take Winky with you to explain all the Muggle equipment as you get settled. Then, she can pop in from time to time to help out, if you need her, that is."



"Oh, Missy Anna, is you thinking she would go and help us?"



"Why don't you go get her and bring her here so we can talk about it?"



"Yes, Miss. Dobby will go get her right now!" And out the door he flew.




Sign up to rate and review this story