Categories > Books > Harry Potter > What Goes Around...Comes Around...Lost and Found...Love

I was afraid you'd say that...

by ilex 0 reviews

Some news - not unexpected - but not now! Oh, bother!

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Humor, Romance - Characters: Angelina Johnson, Arthur Weasley, Bellatrix, Bill Weasley, Blaise Zabini, Cho, Colin Creevey, Crabbe, Dean Thomas, Dobby, Draco, Dudley, Dumbledore, Ernie, Fleur, Flitwick, Fred, George, Ginny, Goyle, Hagrid, Harry, Hermione, James, Justin, Kingsley, - Published: 2006-09-28 - Updated: 2006-09-28 - 2654 words

2Original

Chapter 50



I was afraid you'd say that...





The D.A. meeting was over and the students were piling up their cushions and filing out of the door. There wouldn't be another meeting until right after exams; one last get-together before summer break.

Putting her cushion on top of a wobbly pile, Ginny looked over at Anna and frowned.



"Hermione, does Anna look alright to you?" she whispered out of the corner of her mouth.



"Now that you mention it, she's not been looking well for about a week; a little pale, distracted, too. Wonder if she's feeling all right?"



"Maybe she's concerned about what's going on with Voldemort. It's got to be worrying, knowing an attack could start anytime, being an Auror and all. Maybe she's remembering the last time."



Anna had wandered over to a window and was gazing out, but didn't seem to be actually looking at anything, just staring.



"Professor?" Hermione walked up to her. "Anna?"



"What? Oh, yes, Hermione, what can I do for you?"



"Are you feeling alright? You look a little - well - tired."



"I am a little tired, yes. I've not been sleeping properly. Maybe I need the summer holiday more than you students - eh?" She smiled. "I'm ok, just a little sleep deprived."



"Maybe you should check with Madam Pomfrey. Doctors are their own worst patients, my parents always say. That goes for Healers, too."



"True, Hermione and yes, I think I'll go see Poppy and have a chat. Thanks for noticing and caring enough to say something."



"It's probably nothing; stress. You haven't had a break since Easter, and that was no holiday."



"Truer words were never spoken, Hermione," said Anna as she and Hermione walked over to the others, waiting by the door at the back of the classroom.



"Stop worrying about me, you lot. I'm fine, just a bit tired, but if we can all get through these exams, then it's '/summertime, summertime, sum, sum, summertime'/."



Anna did a little dance as she sang the opening line of that 'oldie but goodie'. The students laughed and then left the classroom, waving goodbye. Anna closed the door and slumped against it.



X # X # X



"Hermione's right, you know. You should go and see Madam Pomfrey, darling." Christopher looked down at her, concern etched on his face.



"I know, I know, after dinner, I promise. She can give me a sleeping potion. I've just not been sleeping well at all and I guess it's starting to show if the kids pick up on it."



"Well, Ginny's very observant, but I think Hermione and the rest all have noticed you're not quite yourself these days. And you haven't been eating properly, either; having toast and tea up here instead of going down to breakfast. That will only reinforce the perception that you're not well, for everyone," he added, pointedly



"Oh, now don't you start picking on me. By the time I do fall asleep, it's nearly time to get up, so having some tea and toast up here gives me a bit more time to rest, instead of trekking all the way down to the Great Hall and back."



"Ok, fine, but promise me you'll see Poppy."



"Promise...Poppy? You're on first name basis with her, too? No, don't tell me, let me guess. You two have had some nice long discussions about medical/magical remedies and your book."



"Of course; professional consultations are quite interesting and you do have a tendency to dispense with formal titles after a while."



"Humm, very cozy."



"Jealous?"



"Yes. Oh, I know you're just kidding, but I'm a little bit jealous, just the same."



"I'm sorry, dear, I shouldn't tease. I know the Slytherins have been absolute brats and poor old Severus can't do anything about it. He has to maintain his outward appearance with them, but, still, I know it's been hard on you both."



"I do appreciate you sneaking our little messages back and forth. And I'm sure it relieves Severus' mind when you give him my hellos and my love."



"He said it's the only bright spot in his life right now. This is as hard, if not harder, on him than on you. Everyone knows your involvement with Lucius' death and understands the Slytherin attitude but it's all Severus can do to stop himself from blowing up at them."



"Fortunately, they take his silence as permission to continue. That's worked so far, and in another two weeks, term will be over and I can, we/ all, /can relax for a bit, I hope."



"You better get ready for dinner, Dear."



"Oh, gracious, you're right. Thanks for letting me rant a bit, you're a good therapist."



"I try. Wish I could give you a big hug, but just know I'll always be here to listen."



"I know, love, and thank you." She pats the edge of his portrait frame and heads for her chambers to change.



X # X # X



After dinner that night, Anna walked down the staff table to talk to Madam Pomfrey. Professor McGonagall stopped to chat, also.



"Poppy, could I come up to the Infirmary and have a chat?"



"Certainly, my dear, anything in particular wrong? You look a bit 'peaky'," Poppy inquired.



"Aren't you feeling well?" Professor McGonagall asked.



"Just tired, Minerva, I haven't been sleeping well and I thought Poppy could give me a mild Sleeping Draught."



"I don't doubt you've had trouble sleeping; the stress you're under...classes, the D.A., and the Slytherin attitude and behavior...Severus hasn't done anything to rein them in. I should have lost my temper /weeks /ago," huffed Professor McGonagall, patting Anna's shoulder.



"Oh, my temper almost boiled over a couple of times, but it's not worth it and I wouldn't give anyone the satisfaction of seeing me break down or lose my temper."



"Well, do you want to come with me now, dear?" Poppy asked.



"Yes, please."



They turned and walked out the side door. Snape, who had been chatting with Professors Sinistra and Vector, made no sign he had seen them leave, but he had. And he was worried. Why were they leaving together? Was something wrong with Anna?



He got away from the staff table as soon as he could, without appearing to hurry. Perhaps she was just having a chat.



/No/, he chided himself, /I'm jumping to conclusions/.



If anything was wrong, she'd get word to him through Christopher or one of the house elves. But still...



X # X # X



"Anna, this is a little puzzling. If I didn't know better..." Poppy trailed off.



"I was afraid you'd say something like that," Anna sat up and swung her legs off the side of the examining table. "I'm pregnant, aren't I?"



Madam Pomfrey's eyes widened and she nodded.



Anna's head dropped forward, she shook it and then she looked up. "Third time's the charm."



"I don't mean to be indelicate, my dear, but I mean, those dreadful Death Eaters didn't...."



"No, no, this isn't the result of an unwanted attack on my body, I assure you. This relationship is an ongoing one."



"Oh, good...I mean...well."



"Poppy, it's alright. We're in love but we can't let anyone know about it. I can't even tell you who the father is." Anna smiled at her and patted Poppy's arm. "Well, looks like Albus might have to get another D.A.D.A. teacher for next year. Better go tell him. Thank so much, Poppy, and please, let's keep this our secret until term is over. Just tell everyone I'm a little overextended, that's all. Ok?"



"Yes, I think that's best, too."



Anna hopped off of the examining table and the two witches hugged. Anna turned and left, with Poppy watching her closely.



"I wonder if Christopher knows?" she wondered aloud.



"I know now, Poppy." Doctor Jones stepped into the painting hanging by Poppy's office door. "I was getting concerned about Anna, so I suggested she come see you. I suspected, you see. I also know the father and I approve of the relationship; one less worry for you. But watch her for me, won't you and could I ask you to please try and get some vitamins or a strengthening potion made up for her."



"Excellent idea, I'll get right to work. I'm making up a sleeping draught for her, too."



X # X # X



Watching from a doorway down the hall from the entrance of the Infirmary, Draco and Pansy stood, waiting.



"I don't care what she's got, as long as it's fatal, or at the least, very painful." Pansy whispered.



Draco snorted and nodded but he was worried.



"Ever the optimist, Miss Parkinson." Professor Snape glided up behind them. "Any news of impending doom?"



"No, Professor, we haven't seen or heard..."



"Shhh..." Snape hissed as Anna emerged from the hall leading to the Infirmary. Severus pulled Pansy and Draco back into the dark shadows. Anna stopped, heaved a big sigh and then turned and headed toward Dumbledore's office.



"That's not the way to her rooms," Draco whispered.



"Very observant, Mister Malfoy. Shall we see exactly where she's headed?"



The three of them moved silently down the hall and followed Anna to the entrance to the Headmaster's Office. They exchanged looks and then headed for the Slytherins dungeons. It would be too suspicious for them to be seen hanging around that far from the Slytherin common room, without good reason, even in the company of their Head of House.



"I'll find out what's going on, soon enough. Gossip runs rampant in the teacher's lounge." Snape reassured Draco and Pansy as he turned toward his office. They nodded and walked off to their common room.



X # X # X



"Good evening, Anna. Please sit down." Dumbledore gestured for her to take a seat in an armchair near the fireplace. "And to what do I owe this nocturnal visit? Good news, I hope?"



"Well, good news, bad news and good news."



"Ah, and the good news is..."



"I'm pregnant."



"Congratulations are in order?"



"Yes, at least I'm happy about it. It's not like I really was trying to get pregnant this soon, but I think I knew in my heart it would happen, eventually. I hoped it would."



"But..."



"But, the bad news is, should I just come back, next term, unwed and very pregnant, or do you go looking for a new D.A.D.A. teacher, /again/?"



"And..."



"The good news is...I'm perfectly willing to come back. Gossip doesn't bother me. No one knows about Severus and me, so he's in the clear. Actually, now that I think of it, everyone will probably suspect poor Remus! Not too many in our world know about Gwen and him being involved." Anna started to giggle.



"Well, I agree, Remus does seem like the most likely candidate; staying at your house, working all those late hours on Christopher's research projects. Knowing his sense of the absurd, he'll jump at the chance to raise a few eyebrows. Does Severus know the good news, yet?"



"Not yet. I only had it confirmed ten minutes ago by Poppy. I haven't had the chance to tell him. I needed to come to you first."



"I'm flattered. I would ask you all," Dumbledore said, turned to the portraits hanging around the room, "to keep this information in the strictest of confidence, until further notice."



"Of course, Albus." "Understandable." Yes, yes, too right." "Congratulations, my dear."



"So, should I come back next term, do you think?"



"First, we must all get through the Summer Holiday."



"Oh, dear, that doesn't sound good."



"Anna, I don't think you should spend your summer at the country house. Briarwood is too vulnerable. Your house in London is also known, but not so easily attacked. And as it now has sufficient additional spells protecting it, it should be quite safe for you. However, I think one or more of the order should be in residence with you, besides Remus, of course."



"It's that bad?"



"I'm afraid so. Rumors are surfacing about revenge for Lucius' death, but they may indeed be rumors. However, I'm not willing to take the chance."



"Won't that make extra work for everyone? I could just as easily stay here."



"No, that would look as if you were afraid to leave; afraid of Voldemort."



"Of course, I'm afraid of him. I'd be a complete fool not to be, but I don't want to...well...add to everyone's work and stress load."



"We shouldn't have any shortage of volunteers from the Order, besides I know some of them are very curious about your Muggle residence. Arthur Weasley, in particular, would be over the moon to get in your place again for a few hours, much less stay for a few days."



"Oh, dear, I'm getting visions of every piece of electronics I own, gutted and spread across my rugs."



"Well, maybe not Arthur, then."



X # X # X



"Excuse me, Professor Dumbledore, sir." One of the house elves was standing in the door, extremely agitated.



"What is it, Tykey?"



Tykey ran forward to Dumbledore's chair, but looked back and forth between Dumbledore and Anna.



"It is Winky, sir; she is hearing strange noises, sir and is wanting help, sir."



"Winky!" Anna stood up, alarmed. "Oh, Albus, she's at Briarwood, getting the place cleaned and ready for this summer. She's all alone."



"Let's get her back here, out of harm's way," replied Dumbledore, standing. He walked over to Fawkes' perch.



"Go to Briarwood, to Winky. Bring her back here."



Fawkes nodded and with a flash of flame, took wing, and vanished.



Professor Dumbledore walked to the fireplace, threw in a fist full of Floo powder, bent over and called out, "Alastor!"



"Yes, Albus?" The head of Mad-Eye Moody floated in the green flames.



"Trouble at Briarwood Manor. Be careful."



"Be there in a flash and don't worry, I'll take reinforcements." His head disappeared from the flames.



"What is it, do you think?" Anna was pacing the room.



"We shall find out in a moment or two."



Almost immediately, Fawkes returned, with Winky clinging for dear life to his tail feathers, eyes screwed tightly shut.



Anna grabbed the house-elf and pulled her into her arms.



"It's ok, Winky, I've got you, you're safe. Thank you, Fawkes."



The golden bird returned to its perch, and fluffed its feathers and looked up at Dumbledore, who stroked Fawkes' head and thanked him in a whisper.



X # X # X



Winky opened her eyes, saw that she was in Anna's arms and burst into tears.



"I is sorry, Missy Anna, but Winky was so scared. I is not knowing any thing to do but call for help."



"You did just the right thing, Winky." Dumbledore patted her on the back. "Your Missy Anna would not want you to be harmed, trying to scare off intruders by yourself. So calling for help was the smart thing to do."



"Winky," Anna said as she sat down with the house elf in her lap, "how about we stay in London this summer, instead of Briarwood? It's not as big a house and there'll be more people coming and going. Would that be alright with you?"



"Oh, yes, Missy Anna, I is afraid in the big house, being all alone. I is liking a smaller house in London, with Missy Gwen and Mister Remus."



"Tykey, could I ask you to take Winky downstairs and get her a nice cup of tea? She's had a bad scare and it would do her good."



"Yes, Headmaster, sir, Tykey would be glad to do so. Come Winky, I is going to take care of you."



Winky looked up at Anna.



"It's ok, Winky, you go on; I'll be right here for a while, or in my room."



"Yes, Missy Anna."



Winky hopped down from Anna's lap and went out the door with the other house elf, looking back and smiling shyly."


Sign up to rate and review this story