Categories > Movies > Descendants > Reckless Paradise

Chapter Eleven | Rumours

by peitho_x 0 reviews

Quinn gets used to life on the Isle

Category: Descendants - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Fantasy,Romance - Warnings: [X] - Published: 2021-04-01 - 2839 words - Complete

0Unrated
As the weeks rolled by into months, Quinn began to get used to life on the Isle. More than get used to, she began to enjoy it, even the fighting.

Adrenaline rushes were not new to Quinn, but she had never before felt the rush of a fight, a life or death situation. And as her skill and confidence in combat grew, so did her enjoyment.



It was a regular night on the Jolly Roger. Quinn and Jax sat in his cabin, playing their nearly-nightly game of chess.

“I can’t believe you said the first night we played that you weren’t very good,” Jax said surveilling the board before moving his knight. “We’re evenly matched.”

“That doesn’t necessarily mean that I’m very good,” Quinn said with a smile. “Perhaps you are also not very good.” She moved her rook, hesitating a moment before letting it go.

He looked at her and then at the board with a smirk as though she had just fallen into his trap. However, as she had learned throughout their many games together, this confidence was merely another one of his strategies, meant to make you question your moves. He slid his bishop out of the way of her rook.

The game continued as it usually did, evenly matched until one pulled ahead. Tonight, it was Quinn. She squinted at the board before slowly sliding her queen over one space. “Checkmate, if I’m not mistaken.”

Jax regarded the board, then sighed, knocking his king over. He smiled. “It seems you’ve bested me; for the fourth time this week too.”

Quinn grinned. “I promise not to tell anyone.”

“Are you kidding?” Jax stood up and stepped behind Quinn, wrapping his arms around her shoulders. “I’m the lucky guy who’s with someone as smart as you. Feel free to tell anyone.” He kissed the top of her head. “Rematch?”

Quinn turned in her seat, looking up at him. “I should probably turn in,” she said. “Early watch.”

Jax nodded and Quinn stood up from her seat. She kissed him lightly. “Goodnight, Jax,”

“Goodnight,” he murmured.

She turned to leave, but just as she had her hand on the doorknob, Jax said, “Unless.” Quinn turned. “Unless you want to stay the night.” His voice was soft. In his eyes, Quinn could see a lot of her own feelings reflected: uncertainty, tenderness, want.

She swallowed. Everything in her wanted to overthink, to overanalyze. But her heart, beginning to race, wanted none of that. “Alright,” she said quietly, nodding. “Yeah.”

In two steps, Jax was in front of her, his soft lips on hers. Quinn tossed off her jacket before curling her fingers into Jax’s hair. It was nothing like the first kiss or the many since, all adrenaline and lust, it was tender and warm and thorough. Jax pressed her against the wall gently and Quinn’s hands ran down his chest to the waistband of his pants, where she carefully began pulling his tucked shirt out. Jax’s hands had already been exploring under her top, so when they broke apart momentarily, both shirts were shucked and abandoned.

Pieces of clothing dropped around their feet as they slowly moved towards the bed. Quinn felt a gentle cool breeze waft over her newly exposed skin.

When the backs of her knees hit the bed, Quinn lost her balance and tumbled backwards. She laughed, thinking how incredibly unromantic this was. Then she looked up at Jax, who gazed down at her, eyes raking over every curve of her body. Quinn resisted the urge to cover up.

Jax smiled to himself. “Damn.”

Quinn blushed, rolling her eyes, and slid back to prop herself up on her elbows by the pillows. She let herself really look at Jax, the lean muscle from his years of fighting – and the many scars. Every move he made was purposeful, graceful.

“Have you ever –?” he asked as he climbed onto the bed.

Quinn shook her head.

“Me neither,’ he said quietly.

Her eyebrows shot up. “Really?” She did not mean to sound so surprised.

Jax smiled. “Really.”

“Well, I hope you at least have decent sex ed here,” Quinn said. “Wait, you have protection, right?”

He rolled his eyes. “We’re villainous, not medieval.”

Their hands were softer on each other now, tender and probing. Bodies flush and joined, skin on skin and lips never far from each other. It was sweet and raw and messy. And it was everything.

They came undone in each other’s arms, graceless and sweaty, pants tickling skin.

When Jax rolled to the side, Quinn peppered his neck and chest with light kisses. He held her close as their heartbeats slowed back to normal.

“Are you alright?” Jax asked, eyebrows scrunching together. “Cause I know, for girls it can –”

“I’m fine,” Quinn said with a soft smile. She smoothed the wrinkles between his eyebrows and kissed the spot gently.

He pulled her closer for a kiss, firm and prolonged and trustworthy. And although Quinn knew they both were not quite ready for any sweeping statements about affection or love, she knew what he meant. And she kissed back with a fierceness to show it.

Unable to fall asleep immediately, Quinn watched as Jax drifted off. His face softened and the meagre light dusted his features with a golden glow. He was beautiful, he really was. And like this, asleep, he looked to be truly without a care in the world. His outside persona of cool confidence was but a poor reflection, a copy, of this.

In the pit of her stomach, Quinn knew that no one on this island could ever be even near carefree – there was too much to worry about: gangs, alliances, and fighting, not to mention all of the family issues.

She tried to picture him in Sherwood, surrounded by nature, actually being able to see the stars. She imagined him laughing as they climbed trees and swam in the river. It was a lovely image, filled with hypothetical happiness, but it could simply never be. VKs would never be allowed in Auradon, and like it or not, she was stuck here.

And she did like it here. A lot. She had Jax and Jukes and Sheela and everyone else. She had the feeling of accomplishment and pride calling herself a member of the Crew. And she had an outlet for all the pent-up frustration she had before.

And yet. Her mind would wander back to the tall oaks of Sherwood Forest; there wasn’t a scrap of green on this island and she was starting to forget the feeling of grass under bare feet and bark as you pulled yourself higher into the trees.

But she was stuck here, and – as she looked back at Jax’s sleeping face – it was far from the worst place to be stuck in.

•••

It was Jukes who first heard the rumour, they came back to the ship one evening looking troubled. Quinn, who was sitting on the railing with Jax, called to them. “You alright, Jukes?”

Jukes looked over at them, hesitated, then said, “I just. Heard something at the bar, but I don’t know if it’s true.”

Jax’s expression hardened, switching into his captain’s role. “What did you hear?”

“Someone said they heard that someone on the Crew is negotiating some secret deal with Maleficent,” they said cautiously.

Jax’s brow furrowed and he hopped off the railing onto the deck, Quinn close behind.

“But it’s just a rumour?” Quinn asked quickly.

“Yes, for now,” Jukes looked over at Jax, whose gaze had gotten a bit distant. “I’ll keep a lookout in case anything new comes up.”

He nodded. “Thanks, Jukes.”

They nodded shortly and walked away. Quinn turned to Jax. “You don’t think it’s true, do you?”

He pursed his lips. “I hope not.” He sighed. “I’m sure it’s just fabricated nonsense to sow distrust within the Crew,” he said but did not entirely sound like he meant it.

Quinn smiled softly and leant her head on his shoulder. “They all know you’re a good captain, Jax.”

•••

The next day, after a shift at the shop, Quinn rushed into the lower deck of the Jolly Roger, determined not to be late for this meeting. She found what looked to be the entire Crew standing around, waiting for something.

Since no one reacted to her arrival, they clearly were not waiting for her, so Quinn joined the other Sailors standing together in the corner

“What’s going on?” she asked.

Hugo shrugged. “Apparently Seamus called an urgent meeting, but he hasn’t shown up yet.”

“That’s...” Quinn started.

“Unlike him?” Nia said. “Yeah.”

They stood around for a few more minutes. Quinn looked over with Jax, who stood with Cyrus and Sheela, but he looked just as confused as everyone else.

Finally, there were footsteps on the steps and Seamus descended, looking much smugger and more confident than usual. “Hello, all,” he said with a smile. “Sorry I’m late.”

Jax walked towards him a flash of annoyance in his eyes. “Seamus, what the hell is this all about? I thought it was urgent.”

“Oh, it is,” Seamus said, walking past him to the head of the map table. “I am putting myself in the running for captain.”

“We don’t have another election for two years,” Saoirse snapped. “Don’t be a fool.”

“Dear sister,” he said. “we both know there’s another way a new captain can be instituted.”

Everyone in the room shifted, some angrily, some uncomfortably. Blake stepped forward. “Seamus,” he said, worried.

“Well then,” Jax said, his voice laced with anger. “Why don’t you come out and say what you mean?”

Seamus leant forward; his hands braced on the table. “I’m putting forth my vote of no confidence and challenging you to a duel.”

Blake rushed to Seamus’ side and spoke quietly to him; words Quinn could not hear. Seamus brushed him aside. “I know what I’m doing,” he said. “When I win, you can be my first mate.”

Blake stepped away from him, looking a mixture of confused and concerned, and Seamus looked back at Jax. “So?”

Jax’s gaze was steely, eyes turning back to Jax. “I accept your challenge. We will fight the day after tomorrow, here on the ship at noon.”

Seamus held his gaze. “Wonderful.”

“Since that’s settled,” Jax continued. “Get out.” When Seamus did not move, he raised his voice. “I’m still captain; get the hell off this ship.”

“See you in two days,” Seamus said, turning to leave. He stopped to address the rest of the Crew. “I hope you all support the right person.”

His boots sounded on the deck above them. Sheela began to run after him, but Saoirse grabbed her arm. “Where the hell do you think you’re going?” she hissed. “Just because he’s our brother –”

“I’m going to talk him out of it,” Sheela said and rushed up the steps.

Jax left quickly after but before Quinn went after him, she went over to Jukes.

“Do you think –?” she asked.

“Maleficent?” Jukes said. “Wouldn’t be surprised.”

Quinn nodded. “I’ve never seen Seamus fight before,” she started, cautiously. “Is he good?”

“He is,” Jukes said. “But there’s a reason Jax was voted captain even though he was the youngest in the running.”

Quinn felt a small surge of pride but quickly sobered again. “Alright, I’ve gotta go check on Jax.”

“I’ll keep an eye out for anything suspicious.”

•••

Quinn found Jax sitting in his cabin, looking out the back windows of the ship. She quietly closed the door behind her. “Are you alright?” she asked softly, sitting beside him on the window seat. “I know you and Seamus were close.”

“We weren’t close in a friends sense, but I did trust him,” Jax said. His bravado from earlier had mostly evaporated and now he was just tired.

“Jax,” she said after a few minutes. “Jukes and I think this might have something to do with Maleficent.”

He looked at her. “You mean that she put him up to it?”

“Or that she’s supporting him,” Quinn said.

Jax thought about it. “Well, it doesn’t really matter, because I’m going to win anyway.”

“And I don’t doubt that,” Quinn said. “But aren’t you worried that there’s more behind this? That maybe the duel is a distraction?”

“What do you suggest I do?”

“Maybe hold off on the duel, until we have the whole picture.”

Jax shook his head, standing up and beginning to pace. “I can’t do that, Quinn, the last thing I need now is for anyone to think I’m afraid of him.”

“If he has the support of Maleficent, maybe you should be,” Quinn exclaimed.

“I’m not afraid of Maleficent,” he scoffed.

“A little fear is a good thing; it makes sure you don’t get over-confident and complacent.”

“It kind of sounds like you don’t think I can win,” Jax said, turning to her.

“Of course, I think you can beat Seamus,” Quinn said, growing exasperated. “I’m just worried about what Maleficent might do. We are the greatest threat to her power and I’m sure she doesn’t appreciate how she can’t figure out how we keep getting supplies.”

“I’ll beat Seamus and we’ll figure it out,” he said.

Quinn sighed, pinching the bridge of her nose. “You know, normally your confidence is attractive, but this arrogance is gonna get you killed.” She turned to go.

“Where are you going?” Jax asked.

“For some air,” she said, slamming the door behind her.

•••

Quinn walked the dark city streets. Sometime in the past year, although she could not pinpoint when, the city had become a comfort, not a danger. She clambered up fire escapes and over rooftops the way she had always done in the trees of Sherwood Forest.

Her eyes had grown sharp – always on the lookout – from all her scouting sessions with Jukes. So, she quickly recognized a figure below in an alley as Seamus.

He walked at a steady pace, neither too fast nor too slow to be immediately suspicious. Quinn began to follow him, quietly and from a distance. He changed course often – ducking into alleys, turning abruptly, and generally trying to make sure he was not being followed.

Quinn thought about going to get Jukes for backup but was afraid they would never find him back, so she continued to scramble along rooftops.

Finally, he entered the market building, empty for the night. Quinn clambered in through an upper window, determined not to lose him. Seamus stood on the opposite side of the building with somebody, exchanging words that Quinn could not hear. She crept quietly along the loft that hung out over the main space until she was directly above them.

“…said Maleficent would back me,” Seamus was saying.

“She does.” It was Fabienne. “But she would rather not have to do so in a full-scale attack.”

“Then how the hell am I supposed to guarantee her that I become captain?” Seamus asked. “Jax is a skilled fighter; I cannot be sure I’ll win.”

“You’re supposed to have been collecting information, grudges, secrets,” Fabienne said. “Don’t you have anything?”

“Jax is either so honest that he has no secrets or secretive enough that I have no idea what his secrets may be.”

“Maleficent will not be pleased to hear that you’ve gone forward with a challenge without a guaranteed victory,” Fabienne warned. “She took a great risk in trusting you, do not let her regret it.”

Seamus sighed. “What about hostages? Either Jade or Quinn would do for that.”

“Hostages would be obvious – Maleficent would prefer that our arrangement remains under wraps.” She paused. “Wait, who is Quinn?”

“Jax’s fling,” he said. “She nearly kidnapped Mal with him. She joined the Crew a few months ago.”

There was a pause. “I have never heard of her before,” Fabienne said quietly. “And Maleficent tends to have good records of all Isle residents. Whose child is she?”

Another pause. Quinn could feel her heart pounding in her chest. If they found out who she was.

“I don’t actually know,” Seamus said finally. “You’d think that would have come up by now.”

“Yes,” Fabienne mused. “Well, if Jax knows her history, perhaps this is a secret we can exploit.” They shook hands. “You look into it on your end, I’ll look into it on mine. We’ll meet again once we have figured it out.”

Quinn flattened to the floor as they both left the building, a minute after each other, out of different exits. She laid there for a few minutes after they left before getting up to go.
Sign up to rate and review this story