Categories > Movies > Descendants > Reckless Paradise

Chapter Eighteen | Dad

by peitho_x 0 reviews

Quinn reveals her plan

Category: Descendants - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Fantasy - Published: 2021-04-01 - 1465 words - Complete

0Unrated
They sat behind the house, looking out at the forest.

Breathing in deeply, Quinn let the feeling of the forest surround her. “It’s good to be back,” she murmured.

Dad looked over at her. “Why didn’t you tell me you were going to the Isle?”

Quinn looked at him. “How did you know? Mark told you, didn’t he?”

He shook his head. “I recognized you on a news broadcast about the Isle and their juvenile delinquent population.”

“I always tried to avoid the cameras, but I guess I missed that one,” Quinn said.

“Why didn’t you tell me?”

“I knew you would worry and try to convince me not to go,” she said. “Mark tried that too.”

“You’re right,” he said. “What was it like over there?”

Quinn shrugged. “I don’t know how to describe it. It took a little getting used to but... it was kind of home.” She could tell Dad was looking at her. “But no more than Sherwood is home. Of course, there are some very harmful things about the way things are done there, but some things are better.”

He looked at her curiously.

“Over here it matters what you look like and which heroes you’re associated with,” Quinn looked over at Dad. “Over there it doesn’t matter. As much It only matters who you are and what you’re good at.” She paused. “I think we could learn a lot from them.”

He was quiet as her words sank in.

•••

“I have to help them,” Quinn said quietly over dinner one evening. Dad and Mark – who was visiting – looked up.

“Help who?” asked Dad.

“The kids, on the Isle,” Quinn said, a little uncertain, eyes fixed on the place in front of her.

Dad and Mark exchanged a look; she had not spoken much about the year she had been gone. She knew they were curious, but they did not want to push her and had generally left it alone for which she was grateful

For everyone else, Quinn had just told them she had had a great time in the northern lands; met people, learned things, and experienced a lot.

“It’s bad over there, okay, and those kids have so little they don’t even know what they’re missing. Their parents are abusive and brainwash them. The gangs are constantly struggling for power, wanting to live up to their parents’ expectations–” Quinn stopped for a second, trying to get a hold of herself and stop all their faces from flashing in front of her. “Kids are dying, okay? Getting killed in the stupid power struggle that is constantly going on.” She looked up at Dad and Mark, trying hard to keep the tears at bay. “They don’t have a chance.”

Dad reached out and squeezed her hand. “We believe you, Quinn. What needs to happen?”

“They need to come here,” Quinn said, immediately continuing before either of them interrupted. “I know it’ll be hard. People over here are pretty stubborn, more so than on the Isle almost. But there are already those who disagree with the king, right?” She turned to Mark. “Like the Underground? Wouldn’t they support something like this?”

“The Underground?” Dad asked sharply, turning to Mark, who looked a bit sheepish. “Have you been associating with them? You know what people think of them.”

“Come on, Uncle John,” he said. “You know they have a point. The education system discourages independent thinking, we’re not supposed to question the king, and the most powerful are only gaining power and pride. We’ve become complacent since the villains got locked up. We don’t recognize bad things happening here in Auradon because we’re all heroes and therefore good all the time. The Undergrounders mostly want to point out the hypocrisy.”

Quinn smiled at Mark. When he talked like this, it not only reminded her of Jax and why she had returned to Auradon but also of how they and the rest of the Sherwood kids would talk when they were all still at school. They did not talk against the king back then, at least, not often, but against the teachers and silly rules.

Dad seemed to be at least temporarily satisfied by Mark’s answer, so Quinn asked, “So, you think they’ll support this?”

Mark shrugged. “The villains and the Isle have never really been brought up often, but you could present your idea at the next meeting.” He paused. “You’ll need a more formulated plan, though.”

She fidgeted with her cutlery. “I have the beginnings of a plan. I want the kids to have the same chance I did.” She glanced at Dad. “For them to have an opportunity for a better life. It could be like a program. The ones who wanted to come could sign up without the risk of their parents finding out. There are ways to keep information away from the villains and only amongst the VKs. That part is very important; every VK fears their parents, at least to some degree. Then, if other kids hear good things about their friends over here, more will come.”

“The main problem is not the villains though,” Dad said. “As you said, the citizens of Auradon are stubborn. They won’t just suddenly change their minds, and if this is going to be at all successful, there needs to be more open-mindedness.”

“A public campaign then,” said Mark. “If we can get the Undergrounders on our side – which I think we can – we’ll already have a reasonably sized support base. And maybe some people from Sherwood too. Then we’ll take it public. We’ll have rallies, protests, and speeches, and try to get into the public eye enough to warrant an audience with the king. Like when the magical creatures and heroic sidekicks wanted a say in the King’s Council.”

Dad nodded solemnly and looked at Quinn. “Before we go any farther: are you sure you want to do this, kiddo? It will be difficult and frustrating and there is no certainty of success. Even the Council of Sidekicks had a difficult fight and they were already considered the good guys. Trying to change the public perception will be difficult, especially with the current education system.”

“I know it’ll be hard, Dad,” Quinn said. “But I have to. I can’t just sit around here for the rest of my life knowing I could have tried to give all the others the same opportunity I was given. Those kids all have potential, they just need a chance. Like Jade, she’s twelve and right now, she’s training to become a full member of the Crew. She should be going to school and playing with her friends, but instead, she’s learning how to steal and fight and kill because otherwise she’ll be killed. Jukes can do calculations in their head faster than anyone I’ve ever seen. And Jax,” She paused. “he has leadership skills and such a big heart. Why should I be here if not to fight for all them? They had my back on the Isle and I have to have their backs here.”

Dad smiled proudly and Quinn recognized the look in his eyes from when he used to tell her about his Merry Men days.

“That settles it then,” said Mark. “The next Underground meeting is on Saturday. I’d say you should write down what you want to say, but you’ve gotten pretty good at those rousing speeches.” He grinned and started clearing the table.

“Well, how else was I supposed to lead people into battle, right?” Quinn had said it flippantly, but both Mark and Dad stopped what they were doing and looked at her with concern.

“Quinn,” Dad said, worry in his voice.

“You know what,” Quinn said standing up quickly. “I should probably write something down anyway. You know how nerves can be.” And she hurried upstairs. There were some things she was not ready to share with them yet. And that was for two different reasons. Obviously, she was still grappling with Harper’s death, but also – more threatening – was how much she had enjoyed those battles once she got better at fighting. Quinn found herself missing the adrenaline of a life or death situation, the clash of steel on steel and the odd intimacy of fighting someone. Speaking of which, she also missed Jax, but she knew she had to be realistic there. The fight to get the VKs to Auradon would be long and hard and there was no guarantee that anything would happen between them again. But still, there was a part of her that hoped.
Sign up to rate and review this story