Categories > Books > Phantom of the Opera > Of Phantoms and Vicomtes

Chapter Two

by operaghostangst 0 reviews

Misunderstandings Happen.

Category: Phantom of the Opera - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Romance - Characters: Erik - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2021-07-26 - 742 words

0Unrated
taying with him had been her choice, but when she offered it she hadn't realized just how horrible it would be. It wasn't even horrible because of Erik. It was horrible for other reasons. Never having any real idea of the time was the main one. She only knew when it was time for rehearsals and such when she just vaguely heard the music from above and the echoes of Carlotta's singing.

Since she'd been missing, they'd somehow managed to convince the previous diva to sing in her place. She could hear Erik grumbling about this under his breath during these times but he never made the move to take her back up. Presumably because he was still in pain so she could understand why he hadn't. If she had to guess how long she'd been down here, she'd assume it had only been week, if not a little more.

She wanted to at least let Meg and Madame Giry know she was alright and not in any danger- She doubted Erik had thought to include any of that in his past notes. From what she'd observed, he always seemed to have too much on his mind to notice something as insignificant as that.

With this in mind, she followed the flow of the music and found Erik sitting at his organ. She could only admire how relaxed he looked while he was playing, seeming to sway slightly with the tune. She was hesitant and she rested a hand on his shoulder. He jolted in surprise, groaning softly. One hand left the keys and pressed against his abdomen as he turned to face her.

"What is it, little songbird?" Erik questioned, not quite paying attention to how he was referring to her. The almost affectionate nickname brought a warm flush to her cheeks and she bit her bottom lip to conceal the smile she was trying to fight.

She was still nervous, though. She wasn't sure how he'd react and it was possible that he was only so docile because he'd been wounded rather badly. She shifted from foot to foot, wringing her hands together. It was harder than it needed to be to find the right words.

".. I have enjoyed being with you and being able to help you but.." Christine trailed off, sighing in irritation. She should be able to ask for something simple. She had done so when she wasn't aware of his mortal status.

Erik stood and approached her, cupping her cheeks in his slightly cold hands. There was the faintest of frowns on his lips but the way his thumbs stroked her cheeks was oddly comforting. She raised her hands and wrapped them around his wrists, leaning into his touch.

"But Meg and her mother are probably worried about me and I don't want that.. They're essentially the only family I have and-." Christine couldn't finish her statement because Erik was suddenly ripping away from her. He looked almost disappointed, if only for a moment before these emotions disappeared entirely.

"I get it. You want to return to the surface, as you should. You and I were never intended to mix in such a manner. I shall take you back up in a few minutes. Just allow me to ensure that she is ready for you." Erik uttered formally, brushing past her as he headed towards the boat. Making two trips didn't make any sense- but he clearly didn't care.

She opened and closed her mouth, searching for the words to stop him. That wasn't what she wanted at all, not right now. She just wanted to know if she could be mentioned in a note in a manner that would be for Madame Giry's eyes only. However by the time she said his name, he was out of ear shot.

She ignored the sting and the disappointment within her chest. Maybe she could convince him when he returned? She wasn't sure. Perhaps it was better this way. She barely knew him.

Besides.. Clearly Madame Giry had to know something when she really thought about it. Maybe even more than she let on. If she could learn some more from her, then maybe speaking directly to him wouldn't be so hard. She could also understand him better. While she didn't like going behind his back, it was unlikely that he'd be too willing to let her in very far. Especially after the way she'd foolishly unmasked him.
Sign up to rate and review this story