Categories > Books > Harry Potter > All Men must Serve

Chapter 9: meetings

by selenepotter 0 reviews

meetings

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Crossover,Fantasy,Humor - Characters: Harry - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2022-02-09 - 3343 words - Complete

0Unrated


JON

When I opened the door she was sitting at a desk reading a book.

“What are you reading?” I asked.

“Oh! Hello Ser Jon,” greeted Shireen. “It’s a Dance of Dragons. It’s all about when the Targaryans fought each other of who would be king.”

“You will be Queen someday,” I said. “Don’t you think it is important that you learn how the Seven Kingdoms are run?”

“I suppose so,” agreed Shireen. “But how am I supposed to learn that?”

“Why don’t we go to the Small Council meeting?” I suggested.

“My father would never give me permission to attend,” signed Shireen.

“But if we were are already in the room when he arrives . . . well, throwing us out would be a lot more difficult than denying us permission to go.” I said.

She seemed to think about it for a moment before she brightened into a smile and agreed.

I used the Force to hide our presence until we reached the room and continued to do so as we moved to a corner.

“I’m hiding us,” I explained. “Unless we move or speak, they won’t notice us.”

“So we’re invisible!” squealed Shireen.

“No, they can see us. But only those with strong wills will notice that we are there,” I explained. “So keep quiet and stay still.”

We stayed there, hiding in plain site waiting for the members of the Small Council to arrive. The first to arrive was Grand Maester Pycelle, walking with much greater ease than I had seen him before. He was carrying a bundle of papers. When he sat down, his posture seemed to visible age him 20 years. Shireen almost laughed out loud. I had to shake my head in warning. Thankfully, the Grand Maester was facing away from us.
The next to arrive was the Master of Coin: Petyr Baelish. The Grand Maester began small talk with him. The Master of whispers arrived next, followed, quickly by the Master of Law, Prince Renly. My father, Hand of the King Eddard Stark and the Master of Ships: Prince Stanis came into together.

“What are you two doing here?” asked Stanis.

“We wanted to come to the meeting,” exclaimed Shireen.

“Forgive me, my Prince. I thought since she would someday be Queen that the Princess should see how the Small Council runs the Kingdoms,” I explained.

“Jon,” scolded Ned, with a frown.

“No. He’s right,” said Stanis. “She’ll be the Queen someday, and he’ll be her King. They should take an interest in how we do things around here. Someone should take an interest . . .”

My father huffed and said: “All right. Keep quiet, and you two can stay.”

“First of all I have a few ravens for you, Lord Hand,” said Peycel, and he handed the messages to him.

My father read them all briefly before addressing the Council: “My son, Rob, is still gathering my banners at Moat Cailin. Lord Tyrell is still gathering his banners at Bitterbridge. Lord Tully has sent a force commanded by his son, Edmure to apprehend the bandits led by Gregor Clegane.”

“I’m afraid Lord Edmure is dead,” announced Varys.

“Your little birds told you this?” asked Ned.

“Actually, it was in today’s paper of news,” replied Varys, as he held up a newspaper. “This brings some interesting implications for you, Lord Hand.”

“How so?” asked Ned.

“With Lord Edmure dead, Lord Hoster Tully will need a new heir,” explained Varys. “The logical choice would be his grandson, your second son, Brandon. Since Lord Tully is in poor health, he is likely going to want your son to live with him so he can mentor him to be the next Lord Tully.”

“It’s too dangerous for that now,” said Ned. “Perhaps after Rob brings the Northern Army into the Riverlands. What are Tywin’s plans?”

“It appears that the Mountain and his small army are intended as a distraction, meant to keep up busy until he is ready,” reported Varys.
“Ready for what?” asked Stanis.

“A long siege, apparently,” replied Varys. “My little birds report that Lanister positions are being fortified all along the border of the Westlands.”

“Siege,” sighed Stanis. “Robert is not going to like that.”

“Then we had better keep him here,” said Ned

“My brother is not going to sit out the war,” protested Renly. “Just you try and stop him.”

“Renly’s right,” agreed Stanis. “If there is a war to be fought not even you, Lord Stark could keep him away. The smart move would be to keep Lord Tywin contained, mass our armies around the Westlands until we are ready to break the siege. If only we could get the Vale or Dorne involved.”

“There have, as yet, been no replies from Lady Lysa to our ravens,” stated Pycelle.

“One thing is for certain,” said Stanis. “Robert is likely to attack as soon as he has any army at all. Ordinarily, I would expect the Hand to stay in King’s Landing while the King is at war. But you, Lord Stark, may be the only one that can prevent him from attacking before we are ready.”

“Then I will leave you in charge of the city while I am gone,” said Ned.

“It’s for the best,” agreed Stanis. “This is likely to be a land war, anyway.”

“I wouldn’t be certain,” admonished Varys. “One of my little birds sighted Lord Kevan Lannister boarding a ship, destination unknown.”

“He’s probably heading for Bravos,” observed Baelish. “Sieges can be expensive. Even with the Lannister gold, they may need a loan from the Iron Bank, just as we will.”


This turned out to be the first of a regular pattern of Shireen and I attending Small Council Meetings.


EDRIC

I was appalled when one of Joffrey’s letters told me someone had burned his lute! Then, discovering that Brandon Stark was a Wizard gave me an excuse to apparate back to Storm’s End, where I had a large supply of weirwood. I had re-grown the Heart Tree seven times before the Septon had given up trying to fell it. And each time he had chopped it down, the wood had been stored. I took one chunk and transfigured it into a guitar. And long, thin, piece, I hand-carved into a wand. I wrote Joffrey a letter, shrunk the guitar down, I placed it inside my letter. I had charmed it to enlarge when the letter was opened. It was taking a chance, revealing magic to Joffrey. But I was a big fan of his and couldn’t stand the thought of him being unable to play music. I gave the owl careful instructions to give it to Joffrey when he was alone. I apparated back to King’s Landing. I then, took my makeshift broom and flew around the Red Keep. My broom was very unstable. Anyone else would probably break their neck trying to fly it. I started with the Gods’wood, then flew over the Red Keep and its’ walls until I spotted the kind of place I was looking for: a house sized flat space, outside the walls of the Red Keep that had no access to the Blackwater outside of the City. There were shear cliffs above and below it, with the only access being a staircase steeply leading up to the walls of the Red Keep. I landed on it and climbed the stairs which led to a secret passage into the Red Keep.

The next day, I led Bran to this hidden platform I had discovered.

“I brought you something,” I said, holding up the new wand.

“Is this magic stick for me?” asked Bran.

“Yes. But it is not yet finished,” I explained. “It needs part of a magical creature for its’ core.”

With that, I plucked a hair from Bran’s head and charmed into to sink into the center of the wand.

“Give it a try,” I suggested.

Bran waved his wand and a shower of sparks shot out.

“Brilliant!” I exclaimed. “Now I can begin teaching you magic, and perhaps you can do the same for me, and teach me how to warg?”


SAM

Recently, I have found myself acquiring an interest in the fairer sex. It had been far easier for me accomplish things when I was younger, my age and stature being the only impediment to such persutes as bettering the conditions of my fellow man. But now my humors were starting to become imbalanced to the extent that it was beginning to distract me from the Great Work. My good friend, Ser Jon Stark nee Snow, was of immense sympathy as he also struggled with subduing his own passions. I was currently sharing an ale with him at local establishment here in Flea Bottom. Music was being provided by a quintet of people that new music from the Riverlands.

“I must admit, Jon, I find your philosophy of a Universal Force and your attempts to balance the Dark and Light sides of yourself intriguing,” I said. “I have become associated with a group of men who share similar goals. We call ourselves Freemasons. I think you would make a good candidate for our ranks.”


JON

Gas! The red keep was being flooded with poisoned gas! I raced out on to the balcony, but the fog I was choking on covered the whole city! Then, Bran walked up to me wearing a force shield around his head that kept the poisonous fog out. He pulled a stick of Weirwood out of his sleeve and touched it to my head, which was wracked with pain! I saw, for an instant, a Weirwood tree, bigger than the one at Winterfell before and awoke from my Force vision!

I climbed out of bed and went into Bran’s room to check on him. He opened his eyes and sat up the instant I entered.

“Are you all right?” I asked.

“I think I just had one of those Force visions you told me about,” said Bran.

“What did you see?” I asked. “You were just Warging into Summer again?”

“No. I was myself,” explained Bran. “I was walking around the courtyard in Winterfell and I saw a raven. I followed it into the crypts and it flew to Aunt Lyanna’s grave. When it turned to look at me, the raven had three eyes. What do you think it means?”

“Difficult to say. Uncertain, the future is,” I quoted, a master from my past life. “Did you have pain? I know the Force sometime causes you pain when I use it on you.”

“No. There was no pain at all,” replied Bran “It didn’t feel at all like when you move me with the Force.”

“Perhaps this anti-force, this magic of yours can give you visions too?” I suggested.

“I’ll ask Edric about it in the morning,” said Bran.


MARGEARY
Slipping into the Red Keep’s Godswood at night was a simple matter. I was thankful that in the hullabaloo over the Weirwood tree growing back that neither Varys nor the High Septon had been able get permission to destroy any of my special plants. I crept through the forrest until I found the one I needed. I carefully shed my clothes, folded them, and set them at the base of the flower. I then stepped far enough away that it could reach me and held my arms over my head. The gargantuan flower bent over and engulfed me in its’ blossom. I’m certain anyone else would be panicking right now. But this was all perfectly normal for me. Inside the blossom, I curled into a fetal position and went to sleep. When I awoke, the corresponding flower in Highgarden was bending over to let me out. I straightened my new body out so that I was thinner and slid out of the blossom, landing on my feet. I hadn’t bothered making myself leaf clothes. I was only here for a short visit. It was the middle of the night, so most people were asleep. I wasn’t seen until I got to her door. The guard she calls: “Left” was there, surprised to see me, as much because I wasn’t supposed to be in Highgarden and at all as because I was walking through those halls naked. He let me pass though, and I crept over to her bed and shook her.

“Grandmother?”

“Huh? What? Margeary?” said Olenna, as she lit a candle. “What are you doing here? And if you are going to sneak into someone’s room, nude, in the middle of the night, shouldn’t it be the KIng’s bed you are sneaking into?”

“That’s why I came to you,” I replied. “The King is a most horrible lout! He drinks constantly, whores around, is obnoxious as possible. I thought he was doing it on purpose to drive away potential suitors. He’s made no secret about his intentions not to re-marry. But the servants all say he acted this exact same way when Cersi was alive and in the room with him. So I need your advice. I’ve already told Loras to stop trying get Renly to suggest me as the next queen. And I’ve found several other candidates. Remember the stories about the miracle tree in Storm’s End, the one that kept growing back? Well it turns out that the tree kept growing back because of magic. One of the King’s bastards, a boy named Edric Storm, has powers like me too, except his are magic based.”

“I thought magic was gone from the world?” mused Olenna.

“It’s back. I’ve seen it,” I said. “He’s a bit young for me and a bastard, but you should see the thing he can do with his powers. I think he might be more powerful than me. And, he remembers a past life in a world very much like mine, a life where he was an adult. Being a bastard would make it easier to get a betrothal or even a marriage arranged with him. And he wouldn’t be a threat to the Tyrell succession. His children could take the Tyrell name.
The other possibility is Brandon Stark. His father is Hand of the King and Lord Paramount of the North. And with the death of his Uncle Edmure, Hoster Tully has made Brandon his heir. And Brandon appears to have the same powers as Edric. Though, he’s still learning to use them. Lord Stark is still at King’s Landing so now would be a good time to negotiate a betrothal agreement. I could be Lady of the Riverlands, in addition to being shadow ruler of the Reach.
Or I could go for Lord Starks older son, Rob. He closer to my age, which would make him a little harder to bend to my will. But if I can take over the Reach, I can take over the North as the future Lady Stark.
Finally, there is Lord Stark’s other son, Ser Jon. He was recently legitimized from being a bastard. But you should see him fight. He’s like the Warrior reborn! I usually trains with more than one opponent. They say he fought both the Kingslayer and the Mountain to a standstill. His only weakness seems to be magic. She Edric used his power on the Weirwood tree in the Red Keep, it put Ser Jon in so much pain he passed out.

“The Red Keep doesn’t have a Weirwood tree, it was cut down before the conquest,” pointed out Olenna.

“It does now,” I replied. “So which one of them should I put my hooks into?”


EDRIC

When Bran told me about his “dream” I drew my wand and began scanning him. Who could have put a horcrux in him and why were they in Winterfell? But I couldn’t find any sign of a Horcrux.

“Could it be a that you are a seer?” I mused.

“What’s a seer?” asked Bran

“Someone who make prophecies of the future,” I replied. “It’s a part of Divination, which I was never very good at. I was going to teach it to you later, but perhaps we should start on that now?”

“What about your dreams?” asked Bran. “Have you had any luck warging.”

“No, I try to see through my owl’s eyes when I’m dreaming but nothing seems to work.” I complained.

“Maybe I need to guide you?” suggested Bran. “I could try to some see you in Summer tonight and see it I can get you into your owl.”


MARGEARY

My grandmother’s advice seemed obvious when I thought about it. I thanked her and returned to the garden so I could get eaten and re-born in the Red Keep. The next morning, no one even knew that I had gone anywhere.


EDRIC

Although Bran was able to warg into his direwolf while he was awake, I was not so skilled at this new magical ability. And so, I was laying on the floor of his room, with my owl looking down on me. I had trained it well enough that it would obey me and stay in the room rather than go out into the night to hunt or deliver a letter. Bran was sitting in a chair, his direwolf, Summer and he were watching me try to sleep. It’s really hard to get to sleep with someone is staring at you. Worse when animals are staring at you. It seemed like hours before I fell asleep. Suddenly, I realized that I could see myself, I was looking down at myself. I looked around the room, Bran was slumped in the chair, his eyes all white, while Summer was looking right at me. I held a hand in from of my face, only to see a wing. I was doing it! I was warging in my owl! I flapped my wings, trying to get a feel for them. Then, I flapped harder and took to the air. I was flying! I flew out the window and looked down on the towers of the Red Keep. This was much better than broom flying, especially with my natty home-made broom. After a while of flying, I flew back in the window and landed on my sleeping chest. Suddenly I was waking up and my very alarmed owl was flying away. It was a start.


JON

“But why? Why can’t I go with you?” I protested. “I’m the best warrior in the Seven Kingdoms. I beat the Kingslayer and the Mountain. You need me with you.”

“It is precisely because of your skill that you will be remaining here.” explained my father. “We can not commit all of our forces in a single position. That would be unwise. This is also why Stanis and the Royal Fleet are staying behind. The Same with Renly and a quarter of the Stormland knights. Not to mention the possibility that Kevan Lannister went to Bravos where he might have been sent to hire a faceless man. I wouldn’t put it past Tywin Lannister to use assassins. No. You need to be here to protect Stanis and Renly and Shireen.”

“And what about Bran?” I asked. “Lord Hoster asked for him, just like Varys predicted.”

“Even with the Mountain’s death, the Riverlands are still too dangerous right now,” replied Ned. “Hoster will just have to wait. For now, Bran stays here.”

I huffed.
“Alright . . .”

“Besides, I will feel a lot safer knowing that you are here to protect Bran,” said Ned.



Note: I am a little stuck about what to do in the during the time the armies mobilize. Other than Bran and Edric Train. I hate to do a time skip. It might look like the later seasons when people were teleporting around.
Sign up to rate and review this story