Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Hogwarts Queen

The Sorting

by TheBookGirl 0 reviews

The sorting ceremony

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: G - Genres: Fantasy - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2022-02-12 - 1278 words

0Unrated
The great hall was probably the most beautiful part of the castle. There were four long tables that ran the entire length of the hall, and above each one was an emblem. One for each of the houses. Students were sitting at each table, and there was an open area in the front of every table, nearest to the teachers.

The pillars wound up to the ceiling. But…There was no ceiling. The hall had to be open to the sky, it looked exactly like outside. Star-filled, dark, and still. Candles floated around, providing light in the vast room.

I looked over to Remus, “Why is there no ceiling.”

Remus laughed, “There is one.”

My brows furrowed, “What?” There was no way. It was open to the sky.


“It’s bewitched to look like the outside sky.” He said, laughing, and I glanced up again. I wouldn’t have been able to tell. That explained why it wasn’t cold, like it was outside.

“Well, that explains it.” James said from Remus’s left. “I was wondering about that myself.”

“Well I wasn’t.” Sirius said, lifting his chin in a mock-posh way. “I knew all along.”

I laughed, “You’re hilarious.”

“And right.” He grinned.

“And a liar.” Remus said to James out of the corner of his mouth, but I overheard and laughed along.

As we walked along, the students at every table were whispering, and a couple of them welcomed us.

“Welcome to Hogwarts, try not to die.” A Ravenclaw joked as we passed. He turned back to his friends, and continued in their conversation.

And at the front of the huge room, in front of the teachers, was an old hat. An old hat on a stool. My brows narrowed again, what kind of test was that. What were we supposed to do with that? Make it disappear?

I glanced over at James and Sirius, and they seemed confused as well.

Soon enough we were at the front of the room, and most of the first years were staring at the hat, confused. It was patchy, and old enough to look as if it was a thousand years old.

Suddenly, the brim of the hat ripped and made a hole. And then it started to sing.

Okay, the hat talked, I thought deliriously. I knew magic was real but holy crap. What else was there?

As I listened, the hat explained the houses. Most of this I already knew, but I bet it was a great help to the muggleborns.

I turned around, searching for a splash of red hair. I hadn’t seen Lily since we got off the train. I saw her about 3 feet to my left, and I moved through the group, stopping next to her.

“Hey Lily.” I smiled, “I didn’t mean to leave you, I just met some people.”

She raised her eyebrows and grinned back, “Good. I was starting to wonder if you didn’t like me.”

“Now, is that even possible.” I said through a laugh. “What do you think about the whole talking-hat thing?”I nodded at the hat, which was still singing its song.

“And don’t forget about Slytherin
Where the ambitious go
Where people-“

“It’s really interesting.” Lily’s eyes were fixated on the old hat, “I read that the hat was actually Godric Gryffindor's back when the school was founded.”

I nodded, it definitely looked old enough.

The hat’s song cut off abruptly, and Professor Mcgonagall stepped towards it. “When I call your name, come up and try the hat on.”

I leaned over to Remus, “You totally knew what the test was.”

He smirked, “Maybe. But now both Sirius and James owe me three galleons.”

I nodded and James and Sirius scowled.

“They shoulda made us fight a troll.” James said, folding his arms over his chest and fake pouting.

“Well you were the one willing to bet on it, James.” I said, fighting a grin.

Mcgonagall glanced at a scroll in her hand. “Maria Adams.”

A short brunette walked up to the hat nervously, and sat down on the stool. The hall was silent for a few seconds before the hat shouted, “RAVENCLAW!”

The girl sighed gratefully before going to the blue and silver table.

“Jessica Anderson.” Became the first Gryffindor.

“James Barnes.” He became a Hufflepuff, and he waltzed over to the yellow and black table.

“Sirius Black.” Sirius strutted up to the hat, with a smirk on his face.

“GRYFFINDOR” The hat shouted after a pause.

“Lily.” I whispered, “What house are you hoping for?”

“Ravenclaw or Gryffindor.” She said, leaning towards me so I WOULD hear her.

I looked at the red and gold table, I had always thought that Gryfindor just housed the arrogant, and the stupid. I didn’t really see that as an ideal spot to end up.

Chris Edwards, a small perky boy, ended up being a Hufflepuff.

“Lily Evans.” She exhaled and went up to the stool. A few seconds later, she was a Gryffindor.

“George Freeman” ended up at the Slytherin Table.

“Evelyn Franklin” A girl with dark curly hair became a Gryffindor.

I watched her walk over to the red and gold table, maybe it wouldn’t be so bad to go there.

“Remus Lupin.” I watched as Remus walked up to the stool, and was declared a Gryffindor. He grinned and joined the red and gold table.

“Samantha Lewis.” A scrawny girl went up, and ended up being a Ravenclaw, and I wondered if I’d be joining her.

I must’ve zoned out, because soon enough Mary had become a Gryffindor, along with Marlene.

“Emily Mitchel.” How did my name come up so fast? I wasn’t ready. I shook my head and made myself walk up to the stool.

The hat was large enough to completely cover my eyes, making it impossible to see.

“Emily Mitchel.” I almost yelled in shock. The hat was alive. “I remember when I sorted your mother” I winced.

“She made a wonderful Ravenclaw. You would do well there too.”

I smiled, that sounded good to me.

“But you would be just as suited to Gryffindor.”

I frowned, “I think Ravenclaw sounds good, thanks.”

The hat let out a laugh, “And that’s why you’re suited to GRYFFINDOR.” The last word was a shout. Dazed, I realized the hat had been pulled off my head.

I barely heard the cheering as I walked over to the Gryffindor table, I was supposed to go to Ravenclaw. He said I would fit there. I sat down next to Lily.

It couldn’t be too bad, if Lily and Remus were here. And Sirius, but he was more annoying.

Half an hour later, the sorting ceremony had finished. James and Peter had also been put in Gryffindor, and Snivilus had been put in Slytherin.

“Now that all of you first years are sorted.” The headmaster stood up, his long gray beard going to his chest and his eyes hidden between half-moon glasses. “You need to be fed.”

He raised his arms, and food filled the tables. I laughed as Sirius and James rushed to fill their plates, it wasn’t like they had just eaten half of the trolley on the train.

I had found friends, no matter how annoying they were. I glanced at Lily, she would keep me sane.

I began to fill my own plate, still glancing around the hall in wonder.

(A/N) Sorry it took so long, but here you go. Hope it's okay. If they'res any mistakes or ideas let me know. Bye for now!
Sign up to rate and review this story