Categories > Anime/Manga > Full Metal Alchemist > To Whatever End: 30

Last With Me

by mjules 0 reviews

Prompt 22: Cradle (lyrics by U2)

Category: Full Metal Alchemist - Rating: PG - Genres: Angst, Romance - Characters: Greed, Lan Fan, Ling Yao - Warnings: [!!!] - Published: 2006-09-29 - Updated: 2006-09-29 - 364 words

0Unrated
You say you want
Love to work out right
To last with me through the night

...All the promises we make
From the cradle to the grave
When all I want is you.



The ... thing ... inside of him did not mind that she followed him around. She was like a possession in that sense, and he -- it -- liked that. He, the real him, inside, knew that she followed because she still felt he needed her protection, Ultimate Shield or not. She followed, watching not for threats from the outside anymore, but from within. Watching to make sure the monster did not take him over completely. Waiting for the opportunity when the two of them together, he and she, would bind and suppress the It that lived within him.

Immortality takes its toll in many forms, and it is never only one person who pays the price.

She was on her feet and after him before the pain of her automail surgery had really receded, and the kiss of fever remained on her brow for many long weeks as she stumbled after him in a blind haze. She probably would have given up had it not been for the sign he gave her early on that he was still fighting. He didn't sleep anymore, didn't need to, but she needed it more than ever. It was on one feverish night that she, afraid to give in to slumber in case It was not as fond of her as he was, had tossed and turned and prayed for an end.

His hand on her forehead had been cool and shocking, had surprised her into stillness. It was that silence that allowed her to hear the soft humming, almost under his breath, almost just a lilt to his breathing and not really a song. But she knew the melody. It was his cradle song, the lullaby his nurse had crooned to him throughout his childhood when he needed comfort, when he needed sleep. She knew it like she knew her own heartbeat, and she knew that he was still in there and would watch over her while she slept. He would not allow It to harm her.
Sign up to rate and review this story