Categories > Games > Kingdom Hearts > Rewriting Kingdom Hearts

Chapter I: Birth by Sleep

by Big_J 0 reviews

This is an alternate take on the events of Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep.

Category: Kingdom Hearts - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Fantasy - Warnings: [!!] [V] [?] - Published: 2022-11-01 - Updated: 2022-11-01 - 1046 words

0Unrated
Many years have passed since the Keyblade War and the dissolution of the Mage Guild. The Keyblade Master Eraqus is the current governor of Radiant Garden and is the former headmaster of the Academy of the Keyblade. The governor's palace and the academy are located in Radiant Garden's capital city of Hollow Bastion.

Eraqus has two sons, the Keyblade Master Terra, the older brother, and Ventus, the younger brother who aspires to be a Keyblade Master. Terra has a wife named Aqua, another Keyblade Master, and they have two sons, the elder Riku, and the younger Sora, who have yet to have keyblades bestowed upon them.

Aqua descends from the creator of the Prime Keyblade and Kingdom Key and is the latter's current wielder. She also wears the same tattoo on her upper right arm that members of the Mage Guild's Kingdom faction used to wear.

Xehanort and his younger brother Ansem are descendants of "Master" Xehanort: the one who destroyed the Prime Keyblade. Ansem is the lieutenant governor of Radiant Garden and is sometimes referred to as "Ansem the Wise". He and Xehanort are good friends of Eraqus's family. While both attended the Academy of the Keyblade and can wield keyblades, Xehanort is the one who graduated and became a Keyblade Master.

The brothers also secretly study the Heartless. Ansem left the academy not only to enter politics but to have more time to research the dark beings. They are close to completing a machine that would allow them to create Heartless artificially. To distinguish these beings from natural or "pureblood" Heartless, they would be emblazoned with an emblem, the same one engraved on Kingdom Hearts.

Xehanort wishes to consult the mage who had left part of themselves behind in the Realm of Darkness. He believes that it would greatly benefit their research. However, Ansem rightly points out that without the Prime Keyblade, Kingdom Hearts cannot be opened and that the knowledge of forging another one was lost.

Nevertheless, Xehanort is desperate and makes a plan to infiltrate the governor's palace to attempt to open the ark. He asks Ansem to assist him, but he refuses, as that would compromise his position. Xehanort then turns to his son, Vanitas, and he agrees to help his father.

The two enter the palace's "Chamber of the Ark" via dark portals like Master Xehanort before them. They point their keyblades at the ark and iridescent beams of light shoot out their tips. However, a feedback pulse repels them. It is then that Eraqus and the palace guards enter the room. Eraqus reveals that Ansem told them about Xehanort's plan. He also reveals that besides governing Radiant Garden, the other role that the governor has is to protect Kingdom Hearts.

Eraqus tells the guards to stand down, as he wishes to fight Xehanort personally. The latter also tells Vanitas not to interfere. A fierce clash begins that sees Eraqus emerge the victor, but just as Xehanort is about to concede defeat and surrender, Vanitas appears behind Eraqus and kills him.

Xehanort stares wide-eyed as his friend crumples to the ground. His body and keyblade then disappear and his heart floats into Kingdom Hearts. Xehanort berates Vanitas. The guards attempt to seize them, but the latter knocks them back with a dark pulse. Vanitas then helps his father up and they disappear via a dark portal to another world.

When Terra hears of his father's death, he becomes enraged. Vowing vengeance against Xehanort and Vanitas, he proclaims that he will chase them across the universe. Aqua and Ventus attempt to talk him out of it but to no avail, as Terra goes to pursue them. Ventus tells Aqua to stay with Sora and Riku while he goes after Terra.


It has been months since Eraqus's death and the disappearance of Ansem's brother and nephew. As lieutenant governor, it was Ansem's duty to take over the governorship after the death of Eraqus, and he has fulfilled that duty admirably. Still, he is intent on researching the Heartless and completing the machine. To this end, he takes on five apprentices: Braig, Dilan, Even, Aeleus, and Ienzo. Aqua sends Sora and Riku to the Destiny Islands to live with relatives, while she searches for Ventus and Terra.


The chase ultimately ends at the Keyblade Graveyard. It is here that Xehanort kills Terra and Vanitas slays Ventus before Aqua's eyes. While Vanitas leaves for parts unknown, Xehanort appears before Aqua, challenging her to a duel in Hollow Bastion's main square.

During their duel, the ground begins to quake, and a black and purple sphere of darkness forms above the governor's palace. As the sphere grows, it begins to suck things into it. The governor's palace is the first victim of the sphere's vacuum, and Heartless begin to appear in great numbers, including ones with emblems.

Seeing the emblems, Xehanort laughs as he realizes that Ansem completed the machine. Aqua just barely sees in the distance the consumption of Kingdom Hearts by the sphere. Overwhelmed by everything happening around her, Aqua's knees buckle, and her grief at the loss of her husband and brother-in-law comes to the surface. Tears form in her eyes and she screams in sorrow, but Xehanort is too enthralled to even notice.

As she looks up at the distracted Xehanort, Aqua's sorrow is replaced with rage. She furrows her brow, bears her teeth, and stabs Xehanort in the back. Shocked, Xehanort looks down to see the Kingdom Key's blade protruding from his abdomen.

"That was for Terra and Ventus!" she shouts as tears stream down her face. She then removes the blade. Xehanort falls to the ground, whereupon a sphere of light, Xehanort's heart, leaves his lifeless body. His body vanishes, and his heart is quickly consumed by the Heartless.

As the Heartless encroach upon her, Aqua whispers an incantation, bequeathing the Kingdom Key to her eldest son, which he will be able to wield when the time comes. It disappears, and Aqua apologizes as the Heartless make their final move.

The quaking ground eventually causes parts of Radiant Garden to break off. Hollow Bastion, the Destiny Islands, and the Keyblade Graveyard are three of the largest pieces. After what seems like an eternity, the black and purple sphere finally evaporates.
Sign up to rate and review this story