Categories > Original > Fantasy

Nick o Tyme Tales: The story begins

by Avcoor 0 reviews

A hero starts his quest for the millionth time

Category: Fantasy - Rating: G - Genres: Drama,Fantasy,Sci-fi - Published: 2023-03-24 - 1905 words

0Unrated
The flame was dying, and he knew it wasn’t his place to stop it.
He rubbed the scar on his forehead. It was hurting more than normal tonight. Then again it always hurt. He never quite got over the fall. They were outside of an abandoned factory in Everly City an old trade hub. It was cold now and at this time of night the fiends would only be stronger.
“Bro…are we really going in?”
Even in the moonlight he could see the worry of his friend. His green eyes were looking downward causing his long blonde hair to hang about his head sullenly. For a Warrior in his honest opinion this was bad. From that came a groan.
“Damn it……”
Please put in your name.
“Alright cool man.” He raised up a fist. “Now am I getting amped.”
That was bad. This was the muses telling them that they were going through a set of events that were of significant importance. It was the red book that spoke to them. The muses. They were collectors and organizers of the gears of their universe. This book was a medium they used to communicate through, and other things.
He shouldn’t have been excited about this not in the least. He groaned once more.
“Damn it Gradd. This isn’t right. We shouldn’t have fiend attacks this close to home.” The boy shrugged. The curly purple hair glistened in the moonlight. “Someone has to restore the hearth of Sassorale. Questers are dying left and right young and old.”
He was looking at him. There wasn’t any point of that. Someone was coming to do that job and it wasn’t them. They had to put out fires where they could. He was getting up now shrugging stifling another groan.
“That’s all well and good but we have a quest to do. So let’s get the name stuff out of the way.”
His book glowed for a moment but quickly he closed it. “I know my name it changes from lifetime to lifetime but here it’s Nick. Just Nick.” He adjusted his glasses. A sound was made, and his sword was at his side.
The slender pale boy adjusted himself. His dark black eyes gleamed with unnatural curiosity. Then he smirked at something. With him he couldn’t be sure. “So that’s how it is. Great way to introduce one’s self. I am not someone who is accustomed to nonformal introduction being of lordly blood. I am Magus Aenslad Galahad by the way Rouge and Magician.”
“What the hell dude! All get is a regular naming. That’s bull bro!”
There was a loud roar from within. Even in anger Nick’s feet were moving. They couldn’t let it get away. Enough watchmen and lordsguard… He stomped down the thought. Gradd burst the door opened. He caught a faint shadow of it.
“Magus!”
He slipped into the shadows the muses speaking of a successful hide command. The warehouse was torn down claw marks everywhere. The light of the moon revealed streaks of blood as well as bodies. He groaned. This was bad.
“Gradd look for the creature. I have to…I have to check the bodies. See if they turned...”
His friend face was red a mixture of remorse and anger. “Dude I’m sorry. I just lost control.”
“Gods Gradd they were dead before we got here. Look for the monster if you need help scream. Stay in the light. Draw him to you.”
“Got it.” His expression was determined. He would need that.
It was quick but his training from Sassorale Academy prevailed. Half of the bodies were lined up. These were good if he could say that. The claw marks were deep with some being totally ripped apart. Blood was everywhere and found himself wiping himself far too often. Still they were good. Then there was that familiar moaning. A deep hollow noise that made shiver just a bit. It was going to be a long night. Of that he was sure.
They moved slowly walking through the opened area among the cargo that wasn’t so badly damaged. Their words came out as just weird noises. How could they talk being dead. Sadly, they didn’t know that.
The muses said zombies appeared. This is what happened when people didn’t have a combat class. Not everybody had the power to fight monsters. People still had books, but they could have been for job classes like fishing or farming. Some had political classes such as lord, mayor, or representative. Still if anyone didn’t have a battle class a monster could infect them.
After that they themselves became monsters themselves. Zombies. Westmarch was becoming plagued by them.
His sword parried a blow from zombie C a woman whose skin was becoming grey. It was close but he barely dodge Zombie B a young man screaming for someone named ‘Bart Bart’. Zombie A was somewhere. Problem was he didn’t know.
He heard Gradd scream and he knew he wouldn’t get there in time. He yelled for Magus but he was barely keeping up with the attacks from the two ghouls. Their levels were three each and being just one person wasn’t cutting it. He knew he shouldn’t but there was no other option.
Something went down his throat. It was hot and he felt his insides burn. He dropped back and relaxed pushing down the random shaking. His grandmother told him to take his time. Once a week. This would be third time. Something was coming up. He knew it wasn’t fire.
He heard him scream again and he swallowed it down. Not he was really hot. This was good even though he was almost falling down smashing into some of the crates. It balanced itself feeling warmth. He was ready. They were close enough.
Nick uses dragon missile
The fire from his mouth spilled everywhere. The creatures burned almost instantly. Now he was on his need coughing. The stuff coming up wasn’t fire.
“There.”
Almost a flicker of light he came. Zombie A was a small boy who was far to nimble. There and here he moved never quite giving away his position. Wiping his mouth he trained to regain focus. His magi went off saying Gradd’s Hp was critical. Where was Magus?
A loud sound and a loud clanging noise followed. Without his sword he was defenseless. He assumed this creature knew that. Very clever.
However, Nick was smarter.
“Activate Charm.”
He had learned from an old friend to always be busy even when you weren’t necessarily in a good spot. When he fell down, he began to set a charm a glyph that can be set on the ground. When activated it can set a rule of sorts for a short period of time. He knew what he wanted.
“Slow.”
It was a brief flash then everything blurred. The monster moved but not nearly as fast. It jumped on top of a steel beam trying to escape. It was too good of an opening. It was incinerated.
Now he was on his back rolling. Pain seared in his side and part of him wanted to scream. This time it wasn’t vomit coming up. It was blood.
“Nick!” This was Magus. “You have to hurry. Gradd’s in trouble.”
From what direction it came in this position it was hard to tell. What was clear was the urgency. He was on his feet. Pressed in. Started running. Wasn’t the wisest thing to do. A groan.
His friend could only raise his shield as the creature massive jaws clamped down on it. Its long tail swiped from right to left knocking down boxes supplies and other things. It was of all things a were rat and a big one at that. His eyes widened behind his glasses and with a flash a Search was done. Level 8. He leaped in without thinking.
The tail caught him but that’s what he wanted. With his good arm he grabbed it. Went for a ride. Back and forth. It was enough. He was distracted.
It said back stab. It was a good one at that. Sucked for him because he was going up and down. At this rate something more was about to come up. He wasn’t sure what.
Now there was a twisting noise of metal. Then a crack. A loud crunch. Then a sharp jerk that sent him flying. A loud swooping noise ending with a gruesome sinking noise. The muses registered the Were Rat dead.
Not bothering to get up he took the moment to let his body settle down. A level up was coming and he needed to get the most out of it.
The fanfare played. It was short musical sequence that let a person know they had progress in whatever path they had taken with their book. This also came with a flash of light and soothing feeling of the muses restoring their strength.
Gradd gained level 1 Warrior
Magus gained level 1 Rouge
Nick gained level 1 Hero
The music ended and he was already on both feet. It never got old. The first one. It was hidden in the shadows of the warehouse. Magus was already on him but the edges of his cheeks straighten. He groaned.
“Oh, come of it. That was grandiose.” He slapped him on the back. He hated that. “We just had our first real gig as a party.”
“Dude your freaking poser.” Gradd was up clothes ripped armor torn but in one piece. “You said you were a Rouge. Didn’t even have a level yet.”
Magus face froze and he shrugged. “It’s called faking it till you make it. Gods Gradd you have…” He made a motion swaying his hand. “No tact. That’s it. Yes. No tact.”
He could hear to footsteps of Watchmen. When a quest was over the official of an area were notified. This was received with a sigh of relief. It had been a long night.
The man came in two others. They were the typical blue and grey uniforms of watchmen along with the badges. The leader an Ire with a bowler and a scar on his cheek looked around. He couldn’t see his expression but he could tell there was concern.
“No survivors….You kids okay?”
“Good. We had three infected. They have been put down.”
He nodded. “What was it? Level and fiend type.”
Obviously a pro. “Level 8 Were Rat. Yellow Type. Four Legged.”
Another slight nod. “Just one.” He nodded. Looked around. “Not good. Flames dying and we canna keep this up. We need to shore up the Forts along Ruduga. Fiends are coming from Westmarch. Were Rats are native there. Not this big though.”
“Um sir.” Magus looked at his kilt and then at his own. “I have never seen that grade of green in these parts of Walga. From whence do you hail?”
“Hey dude he is on duty.”
“It’s fine. William Flannigan. 38th Ruduga Watchmen Division Captain son. I only tell it to you because you are a lord. Next time show some respect.”
He knew it was him. It was always him. This meant the gears were turning. This was just the beginning of his story. And theirs.
Sign up to rate and review this story