Categories > Games > Pokemon > Pokèmon: Serene and Discord

Chapter Nine - Safe Travels, Professor!

by CJWorthington 0 reviews

Chapter Nine of Serene and Discord

Category: Pokemon - Rating: G - Genres: Fantasy - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2023-11-28 - 1815 words

0Unrated
“You have reached Professor Athini Acacia. I am currently unavailable, but if you-“

Irwin hung up the phone sighing in frustration. He was trying to reach the Professor of the region so they could go over what happened at the meeting the night before. The first time, the phone had rung through, and the second time, it had gone straight to her voicemail, an indication that she had turned her phone off after his first failed attempt. He had waited a few hours and then tried once more, but to the same result.

The blonde man was rather worried about the vision Albert, one of the region’s leaders as well as a psychic, had received. From what he mentioned, it seemed like a disaster was bound to unfold.

“What could it be though,” Irwin said, looking at his trusty PokeAssist, the black Kanekan Furfrou. “Malaconda is locked away on Welwin Island. I know the Orbori there keeps it well guarded.” He murmured, referring to Addicle, a very powerful Poison and Ice-type Pokémon that kept its vicious counterpart locked securely up. Malaconda was previously an Obori as well, but it had attacked the lands twenty years ago, nearly destroying it. The three remaining Great Serpents were able to defeat it and it had been stripped of its title, though its terrifying powers and thirst for blood still remained.

He snagged the grips of his chair with his fingertips and rolled himself away from his table to glance out the window. The sun was just beginning to go down and soon the boiling heat of the day would vanish, leaving Kaneko in a far colder, darker, and often much harsher version of the land.

Though the young man was the reigning Pokémon Champion of the region, he still preferred to do all his business during daytime hours, wanting to set a good example to the people of the land. He was the one, after all, who encouraged the rule banning civilians from leaving their townships after sundown unless under the supervision of an approved Pokémon Trainer. Even with Malaconda being locked away, Kaneko was still a highly dangerous land, especially after dark. Unprepared travelers often came upon situations that threatened their life and safety.

“Irwin,” his wife called behind him. “I’m putting the kids to bed soon. Would you clean up the kitchen, please?”

“I’ll get on that in a bit.” He mumbled without looking at her.

Mavis walked further into the room, closing the door behind her, and leaned on the desk her husband had been sitting at a moment ago. “What’s up?”

“Hmmm?” He mused quietly, not paying attention.

“I know that look,” the woman stated, placing a hand on his shoulder. “Something happened and now you feel like you need to solve the problem all on your own.” She raised a knowing eyebrow at him as their gazes met.

“Albert had a vision.” The young champion confessed with a sigh.

“He’s a psychic. He’s always having visions. What’s so special about this one?”

The blonde turned his wheelchair fully to face his wife. “That’s just the thing. He doesn’t know. He always has some idea about what they mean, but this time, he has no clue. He could barely describe it beyond; screaming, flashes of red, and rumbling stones.” The man shivered, unconsciously rubbing a hand on the nub that used to be his right leg. He’d witnessed a scene like that before twenty years ago, and he never wanted to relive it.

“Why don’t you talk to the Professor about it? You could have her meet up with Albert and maybe then you can get some insight.” Mavis replied, her own eyes darkening at the images pulled up from the words.

“I’ve tried calling Athini, but she’s turned her phone off.”

“That’s odd. Why don’t you pay her a visit.”

Irwin flashed a grin at his wife as she winked at him, having already guessed his next move. If anyone could yank a smile from a bad day, it was Mavis. “That was my plan. It’ll have to wait until tomorrow though. I don’t want to be traveling while the moon is up.”

“In that case,” she said, moving from his desk and pulling his chair out from in front of the window and facing him in front of the door, “How about those dishes? Dinner also bubbled over in the stove, so you might want to clean that up too. I’ll get to work in the living area while the kids play in their rooms. They left such a mess in there tonight.” She chuckled softly.

~~~

The next morning dawned brightly as Irwin slid himself off the back of his Pixerene and onto the wheelchair he’d set up shortly after they arrived. With long practiced ease, he removed the seating and satchel he strapped onto his Pokémon, stowing them away in their containers.

A blue and white, long-bodied Pokémon soared out of an opened window of the Acacia Labs, calling joyously to his own. The Dragonarch chirped with excitement when it saw Pixerene, swirling itself eagerly around the pair. His creature shivered in anticipation, the sweet aroma it let off increasing in its happiness.

Irwin shook off the last rope, and patted the soft, warm head of his Pokémon, looking into the pleading green eyes as it purred softly at the affection. “Right then. Off you go. Play with your friend.” He said, pushing the massive head away and watching contentedly as the serpentine-like body of Pixerene took to the air, pushing itself off the ground with its back legs and gliding effortlessly into the sky.

The Pokémon swirled around each other in joy, happy to be with one another once more.

“Irwin! I wasn’t expecting a visit from you today. What are you doing here?” A man’s voice called from the porch. He rushed over quickly, jogging slightly in his excitement.

“Myron!” The Champion called pulling his old friend into a hug. “How have you been?”

“Just fine. You’re a day late though.” He chuckled.

“A day late?”

“The kids left yesterday.”

“Oh! They started their journey!” He said, hitting a palm to his head with a laugh. “I’d completely forgotten about that!”

“Hey, that’s my job!” Another voice spoke. This time, Athini came out of the door and walked smoothly over to them. Though her husband wasn’t a short man, the Professor still stood a head taller than him, her straight blonde hair reaching nearly to the end of her long white lab coat, the tips ending in a gentle curling flourish. Though the woman’s voice sounded happy, there was an upset look in her yellow eyes.

“What’s up, hun? Who was on the phone?” Myron queried, dropping his own happy look and glancing at Irwin with concern flashing across his face now.

“That was Mel. It seems Kabir is in the hospital again.”

“She called this time? Is it serious?” The Champion broke in, pulling away from hugging the woman and backing up with concern. He knew Athini had a brother who was often sick. He spent much of his days in and out of hospitals. It had become normal for him and his family, so their adopted mother, Mel, had stopped calling to inform her every time her sibling went in.

“I think it might be. She sounded pretty broken up about it. But that’s not all,” she paused, clearly struggling to figure out how to say the rest of it.

“What?” Her husband walked up next to her and put his arm on her shoulder.

“Something’s happened to Sashi as well.”

“Kabir’s wife?” Myron said, sounding shocked. When she didn’t return his gaze and instead stared straight ahead with an unreadable expression, he gave her a small shake and gently encouraged her to continue. “What is it? Has she been admitted as well? Do you want us to take care of their Pokémon for a bit?”

“What?” Athini’s eyes cleared. “No. Mel said she’ll take care of them. She’s just arrived in Alola.”

“It is very serious then, if she’s left her home to go all that way.” Irwin’s eyebrows crinkled. “Do you know what’s happened with your brother’s wife?”

“She’s gone missing. No-“ she stopped an interruption from her husband. “It’s not just that, she’s been attacked, and is possibly injured. I need to go to Alola.” As she spoke, the upset look in her eyes darkened, as if she was only just processing the seriousness of the situation. She turned her pleading yellow gaze back to Myron. “Please, would you go to Alola with me? If Kabir wakes up to find out that Sashi is in danger, or worse-“

“It’s alright.” Myron interrupted. “You know I’d come with you even if you told me not to. Your family needs you right now. Do you want me to call the airport to get us a ticket?“

“No, Mel said she’s going to take care of that. She wants me to call her at the airport.”

“Irwin, I’m really sorry, to get you involved in this, but would you let the assistants know we are stepping out, please?” He turned back to his wife. “I’ll have Grace take over as acting Professor while we are away.”

“Of course. Anything else I can do to help?” The Champion asked.

“Actually, could you keep an eye on the kids too?” His friend added. “I know you probably already have a lot on your plate right now, but-“

“Don’t you worry,” it was Irwin’s turn to interrupt. “I was already planning on monitoring their progress anyways.”

“Thank you so much.” The concerned father said, starting to move off.

“Athini,” The Champion rolled forward, calling out to the woman. She turned around, her eyes swimming with confusion and distress. Myron turned with his wife and gave him a knowing look. “Nevermind, it can wait. It’s not really that important.” He lied, shaking his head and backing away.

Irwin pursed his lips as he watched the couple, Myron guiding Athini with his hand on her back, into the doorway of their home and lab. His Furfrou shook itself, trying to release some of the tension in the air, then pressed its cold black nose into the man’s side.

“Now I’m really worried.” He confessed out loud to his PokeAssist.

Overhead, the two long-bodied Pokémon, Pixerene and Dragonarch soared around, unknowing of the issues happening below them. They chirped and cooed as they happily played a game only they knew the rules too.
Sign up to rate and review this story