Categories > Books > Percy Jackson and the Olympians

Eden

by SageIGuess 0 reviews

Next-generation Percy Jackson fanfiction with original story and characters. June (17) has a completely normal life, she spends most of her days studying for the SATs and dreaming of connecting wit...

Category: Percy Jackson and the Olympians - Rating: R - Genres: Humor,Parody,Romance - Warnings: [!!!] [V] - Published: 2023-12-31 - 2947 words

0Unrated
After coming home from school, June stumbled into her family home rather exhausted. She walked through the doors two hours later than her younger siblings due to a not-so-helpful S.A.T. study group she was trying to like. After spending the entire time trying to read her textbook despite the other student’s bantering, she gave up once five o'clock rolled around. It seemed the only place to study in peace truly was at home in her room.
“Someone’s home late.” Her brother commented from his place on the floor in front of the couch, his books were sprawled out on the coffee table. June recognized the movie he was watching as one less than appropriate for a twelve-year-old boy, she turned it to something else quickly.
“Atlas, what are you even watching?” The boy shrugged while doodling in the margins of his notebook instead of doing his homework.
“A movie Dad left on, I wasn’t paying attention.” June scoffed, Her mother and stepfather seemed to take the term “Free-range parenting” a bit too literally.
“Where’s Olive?” Atlas shrugged his shoulders and lifted the end of his pencil to his lips, biting it softly while he looked over his science notes.
“School?” June’s brows furrowed in confusion and she grew concerned for both her siblings.
“It’s five o'clock.” Atlas set his pencil down and leaned back against the couch, he thought to himself quietly staring at the ceiling.
“Maybe… the greenhouse with mom?” He suggested, June rolled her eyes and dropped her backpack next to him. She walked through the house to the affectionately named “Green House” In reality it was a smaller than average side room with a side door leading to the garden in the backyard. Many heat lamps sat around to simulate the sun after the varied fauna’s vines and leaves grew so large they blocked out the large windows. There was an old wooden workbench on the side of the room where June's mother usually sat. She was a very accomplished woman with her award-winning five-star hemp restaurant “Herbal House,” she kept the place interesting to Manhattan tourists by using her degree in food science and Cross-pollinating produce with many different varieties of THC and CBD. Poppy Lester spent most of her time in the greenhouse or the garden non-stop working while her husband Jay stayed at home with their children.
On her way to the greenhouse, June walked through the kitchen spotting her stepfather staring into a pot of half-cooked macaroni. His bloodshot eyes couldn’t hide behind his thick rounded spectacles,
“Jay, did you leave Wild Things on for Atlas?” June stood in the doorway and crossed her arms waiting for him to process her question fully.
“It was Shrek…” He spoke slowly, a smile cracked on his lips and he started chuckling to himself while stirring a pitiful cheese packet into the pot.
“Man… that Donkey dude cracks me up.” he shook his head, the smell lingering on his clothes was enough to give her a clue to his recent activities.
“Tell the little man I'm sorry.” June huffed with annoyance, She knew Jay would never engage in such activities watching the kids alone but he often served as her mother’s guinea pig. June moved through the Kitchen and walked through the beaded doorway of the greenhouse. The familiar smell hit her once again. She spotted her sister almost immediately scooping potting soil from the bag she sat next to onto the floor and playing with it. June was relieved for a second before realizing her mother wasn’t there.
“Olive, where's mom?” the small girl looked at her, June was about to cross the threshold to the greenhouse when the side door opened revealing her mother carrying a large pot. She scrambled to her workbench, quickly placed the pot down, and raised her hands to stop her oldest from coming any closer.
“No! No no no! Sorry June, I just planted a new tomato cross and it can not go wrong your vibes can not come any closer” June rolls her eyes and crosses her arms standing in the doorway.
“You’re too superstitious.” She huffed looking at her little sister on the floor stuffing a fist full of potted soil into her mouth,
“Mom! At least let me get the baby” Poppy turned to her youngest daughter and sighed, she walked to the girl and scooped her up wiping dirt off her face,
“That’s yucky Olive, you’ll spoil your dinner.” She handed the toddler to her oldest daughter and moved back to what she was doing before,
“Do me a favor and put her in the high chair so your dad doesn’t need to.” June took Olive and rolled her eyes at her mother, she turned to the kitchen whispering as she went.
“He’s not my dad but whatever.” June had an incredibly vague memory of her father in bits a pieces before the car accident that killed him, his confident smile with perfect white teeth, and his eyes. Atlas and Olive had inherited their mother’s green eyes and their father’s brown hair, June had her mother’s mop of black curly hair cut short for convenience as opposed to Poppy’s wild long main put up with a bandana to keep it from her eyes. June had her father’s eyes, steel grey, solid, boring. They were the only thing she had that still connected her to her dad. She places Olive in her high chair just as Jay starts dishing out the food,
“Atlas! Dude! Come get your grub!” Jay called for his son and June cringed at the watery mac and cheese on the table, reheated broccoli bits and hamburger sloppily mixed in.
“Why can’t mom cook once in a while? She owns the restaurant… crafted all the recipes?” Atlas sat at the table smiling brightly,
“Hamburger Mac and Cheese? Score!” Jay placed the pot on the stove and tossed Atlas’s curly hair sitting next to him,
“Your mom’s gotta focus all her creative energy on work, I'm the homebody… that’s how we roll.” He gave her a goofy grin showing his crooked teeth,
“The home is my territory, I took that responsibility when I took her last name.” He flashed his wedding ring on his hand and sat down at the table.
“Babe?” he called to Poppy who popped her head from the greenhouse and saw them sitting at the table.
“Oh! Just a moment Love” Jay pulled out the seat next to him and motioned for June to sit down.
“Take your time gorgeous.” He called back to Poppy, June sat down huffing as she did,
“Something up Juni? That test getting to you?” June groaned and watched Jay pick up a fork to feed Olive her dinner.
“All my so-called study group wants to do is gossip about who told what when? And who kissed who where? By the end they’re all fighting with each other it’s useless!” Jay nodded and reached into his pocket retrieving a bottle of eyedrops he squeezed into his reddened eyes.
“Your mom always had trouble concentrating in school too, maybe you should try studying alone if it’s not working out for you.” June sighed and picked at her food
“I’m kind of committed now… besides I can’t concentrate any better alone or with people around. I start worrying and then from those worries stem more worries, and before I know I’m overthinking everything so fast and it’s been an hour with no work done!” She groaned and placed her hand on her forehead.
“Sorry about what I said about your food…” Jay smiled gently as Olive screamed and giggled throwing food on his face.
“Got you, Daddy! Got you!” June snorted handing Jay a napkin he happily accepted, and wiped his face.
“You should try a more hands-on form of studying, flashcards or something but… like you’re a smart kid you’re gonna do great, and even if you don’t you’ll have done your best.” He shrugged, June didn’t feel better for some reason. She knew her best wouldn’t get her into Julliard, she needed to be extraordinary just like her dad. It was him she wanted to be closer to, his violin she had been playing since she could walk, and his school. She wanted nothing more than to carry on his Legacy.
“Thanks, Jay…” She decided not to bother him anymore with it and felt him pat her back to reassure her.
“No problem Juni” At that moment a knock was heard at the door, Jay started to stand but June was up first.
“Finish with Olive, I got it.” Jay sat back down and Olive reached the door opening it to reveal a woman about her mother’s age, she had honey-blonde hair streaked with grey and a single white streak, she had tanned skin and an athletic build, she looked like a stereotypical California beach woman. The only thing that ruined the image was her stormy gray eyes, aged as if she’d lived a hundred lifetimes over. June recognized her vaguely, she didn’t remember where from but something about her was incredibly familiar.
“Can… I help you?” a flash of confusion then recognition passed over the woman’s face and she stepped closer to the door causing June to shut it a little, blocking her path to see inside.
“Ma’am… can I help you?” The woman seemed frazzled, unsure of what to do in this situation but also on a time crunch.
“I-im sorry, is your… mother? Home?” She didn’t seem sure, and just outside of New York City, anyone could be knocking at her mother’s door. A murderer, a crazed fan of the restaurant, they’ve had to move many times before because of weird people after her mother. Until June’s father died and her mother met Jay.
“Name and affiliation?” June crossed her arms watching the woman’s surprised face once again,
“Why do you…. I need to speak with Poppy Lester, is she here? It’s important.” The woman stepped closer again and June blocked her path,
“Lady, there’s some important innovation going on in there get your autograph or reservation online like everyone else!” June started closing the door but was stopped by the woman’s foot as she glared down at her,
“Listen, I’ve taken down a lot bigger things than a front door. This is an emergency life or death, I need to talk to your mother if you won't let me in I’ll find my way anyway.” There was a determined look in her eye and June realized she was holding a small navy blue piece of fabric in her hand, something about it was off in a way she couldn’t place but not dangerous. June huffed and opened the door completely,
“Stay here.” she glared up at the woman who sighed in relief, June turned and saw her brother looking at her and the woman wide-eyed while Jay seemed unbothered feeding Olive.
“MOOOOM!” Atlas stared at the woman, she awkwardly waved to him from the doorway. He waved back slowly. June walked through the kitchen and into the greenhouse, Poppy sat at her work desk wearing magnifying spectacles and placing drops of water on a sprouted plant with an eye dropper.
“There’s some fan here who won’t back down, she doesn’t seem dangerous but you should probably handle it.” June crossed her arms and walked to her mother, the small plant drooped in her presence making her mother sigh in defeat.
“Hun I love you but I told you… you need a better attitude if you’re going to come in here… the plants sense vibes” June doesn’t quite see what her mother does but the tiny plant stood upright as a response and even seemed to grow slightly.
“I’ll take care of it, just shoo shoo!” Poppy took off the spectacles and guided her daughter out of the room and back into the kitchen,
“Where’s this this woman?” June motioned to the front door and Poppy’s gaze followed, the range of emotions was swift but not impossible to follow. She watched her mother’s face switch from surprise to excitement-filled recognition, to concern at the other woman’s serious body language.
“What is it?” Poppy asked quietly, the Blonde woman opened her mouth to speak but then looked at the rest of the family.
“It might be better to speak privately…” June was confused, she watched her mother grab her coat, walking to grab the sleeve,
“Who is she?” June asked, Poppy didn’t meet her daughter's eyes. Her attitude changed completely.
“Go sit down with your father June.” The girl scoffed at her mother’s attempt to dance around the question,
“What’s going on?” Poppy grabbed her keys after yanking herself away from June's grip and walking to the door.
“I don’t know, stay here.” The lie was obvious, and June followed her trying to grab at her again.
“What are you talking about? Tell me what’s happening! Mom!” Poppy spun around on her heel and grabbed the doorknob, looking more serious than June had ever seen her.
“Juniper! No more questions. Inside now. Stay.” She didn’t leave room for arguing, slamming the door shut and walking with the woman down the steps and to her car.
Hours passed, and June helped Atlas get to bed on time so Jay could focus on Olive, he then fell asleep waiting for her mother to get home while watching TV and eating cheese Whiz. June stayed up, watching the clock tick, getting angrier with each moment that passed. The sun started to peek over the horizon when the lock finally turned on the door. Poppy looked disordered and exhausted. Her eyes were bloodshot, and heavy bags were forming under them,
“Where were you? Who was that? What’s happening.” June spoke softly so as not to wake her siblings, as her mother checked the clock, it said 5:15 am.
“You have school soon… have you been up all night?” she sidestepped June’s question’s expert.
“Mom! What is going on?!” Poppy sighed deeply setting down her things. June felt more frustration bubble within her.
“I went for a drive, she’s an old friend, and she’s going through a hard time with… her family. Just needed some advice.” June didn’t believe it could be something so mundane,
“What's wrong with her family? What advice takes so long?” Poppy hung up her coat and turned to her eldest daughter giving her a stern look.
“Honestly June, I don’t think that’s any of your business. Some things are meant only for adults, get to bed I'm driving your siblings to school”
This made the younger girl livid, she wanted to fight it and was about to. Her distaste was anticipated and shut down instantly.
“Juniper Daphne Smith. Bed now.” She was taken aback but before she could say anything a large bang rang through the house, waking up Jay from the couch with a start.
“Honey?!” he looked around surprised only to fall off the couch when another loud bang was heard and the door fell off the hinges. A rather inconspicuous-looking deer stood in the door’s place, Atlas came from his room down the hall rubbing sleepy eyes. Olive followed behind him holding onto his pajama pants,
“Mom? What was that?” Poppy had a wide-eyed expression, almost horror-filled with slight confusion.
“What… in the world?” Jay stands up and scratches the bald spot on the back of his head.
“Do we… do we call someone? Like animal control or something?” June looked at the deer, its eyes were deep and soulful as it stared at her.
“Hold on, you’re-” Poppy was cut off when the deer ran full speed at her, it aimed its horns at her shoving her back until she hit the wall knocking down the TV and shattering it on the floor. Red dripped from the older woman's clothes onto the floor, She took shallow rapid breaths grabbing the antlers weakly as the color drained from her face. Atlas grabbed Olive and covered her eyes, they were all too stunned to speak. Poppy looked past June to Jay gathering her strength,
“J-jay… the blue box… t-tell them everything… protect our kids.” She was still dripping the antlers, suddenly she burst into a puff of golden dust and evaporated into nothing. There was no time to react when the deer charged again, hitting Atlas and Olive. Their evaporation was more instantaneous, with no blood or graphic ending like their mother although it started to make less and less sense by the second. The deer stared at her again, and June felt a shiver run through her, like death itself was judging her soal. It sniffed the air, walking towards her until its now clean antlers were trapping her. It sniffed her again and June made peace with god and accepted her fate, she closed her eyes but instead of pain she felt a breeze on her face. She opened her eyes again and the deer was gone, she stared out the destroyed door and let what just happened to wash over her. She turned her head to an equally shocked Jay, seeing the situation register in his brain as well.
“OH MY GOD WHAT THE FUCK?!”
Sign up to rate and review this story