Categories > Games > Zelda > The Legend of Zelda: Real Courage: Dark Mirror

Chapter Twelve: Final Farewell

by LaxyakLovesLoZ 0 reviews

Chapter Twelve: Final Farewell

Category: Zelda - Rating: G - Genres: Fantasy - Characters: Link,Zelda - Published: 2024-06-06 - 1677 words - Complete

0Unrated
Zale had a hard time sleeping and eventually woke up early. He decided to visit with his little sister. Little Zelda was asleep in her room, looking like an angel. Zale brushed her hair with his hand and let the blond strands slide between his fingers. She always kept her hair clean and soft. The motion made her turn and open her eyes blearily.

“Hey, sis,” Zale said softly. “It’s time to wake up. I have something I need to tell you.”

Little Zelda sat up in her bed, blinking away the sleep. She asked, “What is it?”

“Not yet, little one,” Zale said. “Get dressed and then we can talk over breakfast.”

Zale stepped out to Salvatore to bring his and Zelda’s breakfast up to them while Zelda changed out of her nightclothes. Once Zelda was dressed, Zale returned to her side and waited for the food to arrive.

“Can you tell me now?” Zelda asked, excited.

Zale’s heart sank. How was he supposed to tell her? He had to be the one to do it, though. She had to know before he told anyone else.

“Sit down, Zelda,” Zale said, his voice husky.

Zelda caught the mood immediately and sat down, subdued.

“This isn’t something fun,” she said.

Zale shook his head. Slowly, his eyes closed. He took a deep breath and began.

“You know how Father’s been missing?”

Zelda’s breath caught. “Yes.”

Zale took another deep breath. “I’m afraid he… he didn’t make it home.” He saw tears in his sister’s eyes. “He… he… father… well, he was… killed.” Zale swallowed hard as Zelda looked desperately at him. “I’m so sorry, little sis.”

Seeing her tears brought out his own tears, and together they started crying uncontrollably. They hugged each other fiercely. The pain was unbearable, but it was worse now that Zelda felt it, too. Zale wanted to take all of the hurt from her, even if it meant taking it on himself.

Zale didn’t know how much time had passed when there was a knock on the door. He quickly stood up and answered. Salvatore and Nellie stood there with Zale and Zelda’s food. Zale gestured for the food to be brought in but stopped Salvatore.

“Did you tell her about my father?” Zale whispered.

“Yes, Sire, just like you asked,” Salvatore responded.

“Thank you.”

Nellie was Zelda’s handmaiden and best friend, just like Salvatore was to Zale. She knelt beside Zelda and gave her a great big hug. Zale watched for a moment. Maybe things would be okay. They had friends by their sides.



After eating, Zale and Zelda went to the shrine of Goddess Hylia. It was a sacred place in the center of the castle that only the royal family could visit. Therefore, Salvatore and Nellie waited in the chapel that led to the shrine’s entrance. Zale and Zelda entered the shrine by themselves. It was a small, rectangular area that was open to the sky. A pool of water separated the Goddess’s statue from the viewing platform. The morning light reflected beautifully off of the water.

Zale held Zelda tight beside him. He looked at the Goddess’s statue, not currently feeling tears in his eyes. His mind wandered, thinking about all of the things he needed to do next to become king. Occasionally, Zelda’s soft sobs broke into his thoughts.

After a few minutes of silence, Zale said, “We’ll be okay. Don’t worry, Zelda. I’m here for you.”

They turned to leave. A bright light made them pause and turn back around. To Zale’s astonishment, a semitransparent figure floated above the water.

“Father?” Zale gasped. The figure looked exactly like the king.

“Yes, my dear son, darling daughter,” said the ghost of the king. “Lady Hylia has granted a special meeting between us. Our time is short. Know that I love you both and am very proud.”

Fresh tears sprang to Zale’s eyes. His mouth hung open at first. He squeezed his eyes shut and opened them again. The image of his father remained.

“We love you, too, Daddy,” Little Zelda cried out. “We’ll always love you!”

King Gaepora addressed Zale. “My son, I know the task ahead of you may seem monumental. There will be times that you doubt yourself. But know that in the end, your father believed in you and knew you could handle yourself with grace.” Then he spoke to Zelda. “My dear. My darling Little Zelda. You may be sad for a while. It may be a long while. But someday, you will find the strength to help your brother run the kingdom.”

Zale could sense that their time was running out. He said, “Your will. Did you mean what you wrote for me?”

“Of course,” King Gaepora said, spreading his arms. “It’s time for me to go. I love you, my children. Never forget that.”

The king began to fade. Zelda held out a hand, and after a moment, so did Zale. Within seconds, King Gaepora was gone for good.

After a long silence, Zelda said, “Let’s go, brother. Tell me how I can help you.”

Zale laughed at the unexpected words. The two left the shrine, and he said, “Stay with Nellie for now. I’ll let you know when I need you. I think I know exactly how you can help.”

“How?” Zelda asked.

“I’ll tell you when I’m ready,” Zale answered.

“What am I supposed to do until then?” Zelda pouted.

Zale laughed again. “I don’t know. I’m sure you’ll figure something out.”

Then he and Salvatore went to check on Lila. On the way, Zale told Salvatore about the encounter with his father’s ghost.

“You’re very lucky,” Salvatore said. “Not many people get to say goodbye the way you got to.”

“I know,” Zale said. “Hylia honored Zelda and me.”

Once they arrived at Lila’s room, Zale knocked on the door. There was no answer, so he knocked again. Fearing the worst, he pushed the door open.

“Lila?” he asked, worried she was gone again.

His fears receded when she bolted up in her bed.

“Hu-what?” Lila wondered, reaching for her sword.

Zale laughed and held up his hands to calm her. “Relax, it’s just me.”

“Oh,” she said, leaning back on her pillows. “What do you want so early in the morning?”

“It’s not that early,” Zale said. “I just wanted to check on you.”

“I’m here, I’m alive.” Lila put a pillow over her face, so her next words were muffled. “Can you make it dark in here?”

Zale laughed again. He grabbed her arm and pulled her into a sitting position. “Come on, it’s a great day!”

Lila raised an eyebrow at him. “What’s gotten into you?”

Zale had a small smile as he said, “I spoke to my father’s ghost.”

Now Lila was awake. “That’s amazing!”

“Yeah. He told me that he loved me, and now his death doesn’t seem so hard.”

“I’m happy for you,” Lila said with a smile. “You’re very lucky.”

“That’s what Salvatore said. Anyway, I have a lot to do today. You should get something to eat and we’ll chat later.”

“Okay,” Lila agreed.

“Se ya around.”

“Goodbye.”

Zale left, feeling better than ever. He wanted to see Impa next, so he went to the infirmary. He asked about her and was told she had opted to return to her own home. They told him where to go and he went on his way. He was glad to find her still at home.

“Good morning,” Zale greeted as she let him in. Salvatore waited outside.

“Good morning,” Impa replied. She seemed weary.

“How are you holding up?” Zale asked sympathetically.

Impa didn’t respond at first. She guided Zale to a sitting room and motioned for him to sit.

“Can I get you anything?” she asked.

Zale shook his head. “No, thank you. I want to know how you’re doing.”

Impa stood for a while, seemingly lost in thought. It looked like she was holding back tears. Then she sat across from Zale with great sigh.

“It’s tough,” she finally admitted. “I feel like it was my fault that the king died.”

Zale frowned, feeling sorry for her. “It’s not your fault. I said it the other night, and I’ll say it again. Don’t feel bad about what happened.”

Impa bowed her head. “I know… I know. It’s just… hard to wrap my head around.”

“It will take time,” Zale said, “but you’ll feel better eventually.”

“Thank you,” Impa said. She siped her eyes and looked up at him. “What about you? You seem to be doing alright.”

Zale smiled softly. “Yes, I’ve made peace with my father’s death. Actually, his ghost visited me and Zelda. He told me he loved me and that made everything better.”

“Wow,” Impa breathed. “How wonderful!”

“It was,” Zale said with a nod. He paused for a moment and then said, “Are you up for helping me with a big task?”

Impa sat up straight. “Yes, anything, Sire.”

“This might be hard for you, but you’re the only one who can do it. I need you to retrieve the bodies of my father and the Shiekah that fought beside him.”

Impa gasped.

“Can you do it?” Zale asked.

She quickly nodded. “Yes, of course. I’ll leave right away.”

“Good. Take as many soldiers as you need. The time for secrecy on the matter is over.” Zale stood and Impa did the same. “Be quick about it. I want a proper funeral as soon as the generals return.”

Impa saluted to him and said, “Yes, Sire. We’ll be back by the end of the day.”

“Good. And, Impa.”

“Yes?”

“Thank you.”

“Anything for you, my Prince.”
Sign up to rate and review this story