Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Against the Odds

Chapter 5

by xXLimelightXx 0 reviews

Chapter 5

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: G - Genres: Drama - Published: 2024-07-01 - 4149 words

0Unrated
A knocking upon the door to her bedroom went unanswered. After a brief pause, the knocking recurred, again it went unanswered. Another pause, and a third knocking, a little more pronounced, followed by a gentle voice.

"Ginny? I'm coming in."

As the doorknob started to turn, and she realized that Harry simply wasn't going to leave her alone, she called out to him with the first thing to come to her mind "I'm not decent!"

The doorknob stopped turning.

The last thing she wanted right now was company, especially his. The momentary relief that he was going to grant her the peace she desired so much right now, was dispelled by the sound of his voice, once more coming through the door.

"Ginny? I just want to talk to you." Harry said. "I don't care about the dress. I just want to make sure you're alright."

"I'm fine." she replied curtly.

"I know how upset you were at your brother this morning. He was kind of harsh." Harry continued.

Ginny rolled her eyes. To say Ron was kind of harsh was an understatement. He practically accused her of all kinds of debauchery, and although it wasn't true, she was furious that Ron, or even Harry, felt it was any of their business!

Harry's voice continued to creep through the door. "Whatever happened between you and Malfoy is no one's business. I don't want to pry into your personal life, Ginny, but I am worried about what might happen to you as a result. If someone were to..."

His words were cut-off as the bedroom door opened, and a very angry Ginny stood before him. Her cheeks were red, her brown freckles standing out in contrast against her skin, nostrils flaring slightly, even her hair seemingly puffed up, as she stood on the verge of explosion.

"Don't you dare!" She nearly yelled, causing Harry to jump back in surprise. "Don't you dare pretend to care about what happens to me, Harry Potter! You, who are so busy chasing after Cho! You, who are busy stealing kisses from her under mistletoe! You, who are so busy being seclusive with Hermione and my darling brother! You, who never seemed to care about me before!"

Harry blinked at her outburst, and rather than face another scolding like that, he turned to walk away. Reaching the top of the stairs that would take him down to where the others were, he stopped. Turning his head, he glanced over his shoulder, speaking softly to her.

"I cared enough about you to hide the truth about what happened during the Chamber of Secrets incident." He disappeared down the stairs, while his words stabbed into Ginny, searing with the sting of truth. She stared at the empty corridor, feeling quite foolish. Closing the door to her room, Ginny threw herself down upon her bed, and cried.

Draco's holidays were ending on a higher note than they began. Having avoided his father after their talk, his mood had become rather gloomy. Not wanting him to return to school on a sour note, his mother had conducted some last-minute gift giving, in hopes of raising his spirits. A new racing broom for the remainder of the Quidditch season. Mounds of chocolate and assorted sweets. She even bought him tickets to see the International Quidditch championships during the summer.

Packing his things in preparation for the return trip to Hogwarts, Draco stood in his room, sorting through some clothes, trying to decide what he should take, and what he should leave behind. The door to his room opened, and without an invitation, his father stepped inside. Draco didn't need to look at him to know the expression that would be upon his face.

"Before you return to school, Draco, I wanted you to know that I will be checking up on you." Seeing the look of dread that sprouted onto his son's face, Lucius added. "Not personally, of course. I have more pressing matters to attend to. But I will be informed on your situation. I trust you will not continue to disappoint me."

Draco stared into his open trunk, hearing the words spoken to him. He hated how his father spoke of nothing more than disappointment, as if each of Draco's mistakes were somehow a personal reflection upon him, as well. And now that his father was expecting something of him, something Draco wasn't prepared for, it caused further strain on their relationship.

"Remember, Draco," Lucius reminded him. "The Dark Lord knows about her. You would be wise to deal with her, before he sees fit to deal with you."

With a sweep of his robes, purely for the effect, Lucius departed. Draco was left alone, the realization that time was starting to run out. He had come home, looking for a place to avoid the troubles that surrounded him at school, only to find things went from bad, to worse.

Moving towards the shelving unit that lined his wall, Draco examined various mementos that rested upon them. Pictures taken from happier times in his life. His mother, smiling as she held him while he was a small child. Him holding up his first broom. Wearing his Hogwarts robes the day he received his letter of admission. In each picture, a moment captured in time. And in each picture, conspicuously absent was his father.

"I can't let him down..." he spoke to the smiling faces in the various frames. What he wouldn't give to be back in those moments again. Turning his back on those moments, he stepped back towards his trunk, to finish his packing. He found himself counting the hours until he was leaving.

Platform 9 3/4 was bustling with students and family. Everyone hurried to stow their luggage on board and raced to claim the best compartments for the trip back to Hogwarts. It was almost as hectic as boarding at the start of term.

Ginny, Harry, and the other members of the Weasley clan climbed aboard. Ron and Hermione gave a final wave, before moving towards the prefect compartment. Harry had joined Neville in an empty compartment, leaving Ginny to find a place to sit.

She had been invited to join Harry and Neville, but politely declined. After her minor spat with Harry a few days before, she still hadn't felt comfortable in his presence. Feeling guilty about the horrible things she said to him, she had managed to duck his company since, except when circumstances absolutely brought them together.

The only other compartment with available space, was occupied by a solitary figure. Luna Lovegood was strange in persona, but Ginny had befriended her during her second year, although being from different Houses limited their time together. Luna did not have many friends, mostly because of her odd behaviour, but it was for that same reason that Ginny had found her interesting.

Taking a seat, Ginny leaned back against the cushioned bench in the compartment, staring at the wall opposite her. Settling in for what she expected to be a quiet ride to the school, she closed her eyes, feeling the train lurch as it pulled away from the station.

It was about ten minutes of silence before Ginny's thoughts were disturbed by Luna's soft, almost musical, voice. "I don't believe them, you know."

Opening her eyes, she looked over at the blonde haired girl. As usual, she was reading the latest copy of The Quibbler, the rather unorthodox newspaper printed by her father. And as usual, she was reading it upside down.

"What was that?" Ginny asked.

"I don't believe them. What they are saying about you." Luna replied, eyes still scanning her newspaper.

Ginny sighed. Luna was perhaps the last person she expected to have an opinion on the situation. Nodding slightly, she mused, letting Luna return to her reading. But the Ravenclaw didn't do so.

"They are being rather rude with their gossip. I don't like the things they are saying."

Ginny closed her eyes again. "No doubt. I'm not worrying about it." She lied convincingly.

"Though, I could imagine it being worse."

Ginny opened one eye, looking towards Luna with it. She knew she was going to regret asking but couldn't help herself. "How so?"

Luna pursed her lips together for a moment, thinking about her answer with a pensive tilt of her head. "They could be trying to pair you with someone less attractive."

Sitting up straight, Ginny blinked. "What?"

"He might be mean, and he really doesn't treat most people very well. But I think, if he were to smile more, he would be handsome." Luna looked at Ginny, seemingly quite serious about it. "Maybe that's why he doesn't have many friends?"

Rolling her eyes, Ginny settled back in her seat. Ironically, she found that the only thing worse than having everyone talk about how bad it was for Ginny to be on such terms with the likes of Draco Malfoy, was to find someone who actually found a bright side to the situation.

As the Hogwarts Express lumbered on towards the school, Draco patrolled the corridor, amusing himself by asserting his authority as Prefect over anyone he thought he would let him get away with it. After that started to get boring, he headed back towards his compartment. Pausing outside one of the compartments he was walking past, he saw two figures sitting alone.

Crabbe and Goyle, the two minions who normally followed him around, serving his every whim. Until recently. Like many of the others, they had distanced themselves from him. Stepping into the compartment, he closed the door behind him, pulling the blinds down over the door before he took a seat.

Both of them looked up at him, then looked away, not seemingly interested to see him. He ignored that fact for a moment, trying to think of how best to approach the subject. "Crabbe. Goyle." he said softly. "I need your help."

The two of them exchanged glances, not sure if they wanted to help him after feeling he had somehow betrayed them. Sensing the uncertainty, Draco frowned.

"I need your help." He repeated, "I need to deal with the Weasley girl."

He spent the next few minutes explaining unless she was taken care of, he would be forced to answer to the Dark Lord. Once that realization had sunk in, the two seemed more eager to help. Neither one knew what to suggest, but they agreed it was something that needed to be well thought out.

Unpacking her things back into her dormitory, Ginny paused as she reached the white rectangular box she had purposely buried at the bottom of her trunk. Reaching her hands down, she retrieved it, lifting it out, and laying it onto her bed. It still held the bow, with the anonymous card attached to it.

Removing the lid, her eyes rested upon the folded dress laid inside. She took the dress into her hands, pulling it out, and let it drape down the front of her form. Smiling a little, she moved to stand in front of the mirror across the room, looking upon her reflection.

It really was a beautiful dress, and as she had suspected the first time she saw it in the store window, it would fit her perfectly. Pressing it against her with one hand, she swayed back and forth, watching how it moved with her. Twirling across the floor, she imagined she were wearing the dress as she danced across a ballroom, the gown billowing around her legs, as though she were about to take flight...

She stopped, staring down at the dress, looking as though someone had splashed cold water in her face. The dress was hers, and she knew if she returned it, she would never be able to afford it again. This was her one opportunity to own such a breathtaking gown. But if she kept it, would she be able to look herself in the mirror?

Returning to stand before it, she gazed upon the mirrored image. Never had she owned anything so beautiful, and she could see the struggle taking place within her. Does she do what she felt was right, and return the dress? Or does she keep it, accepting it as the gift it was?

But it was not a gift. It did not feel like a gift. A gift is given freely, to induce happiness in the recipient. This dress felt different. It felt...dirty. Given not to induce happiness, but in an attempt to appease her. The giver cared not for her happiness, nor did he understand how very hard it was to take off and put it back in the box.

Closing the lid upon it again, she sighed, steeling her nerves. Picking the box up, she tucked it under her arm, and turned to leave the room. She had no idea where Draco could be found, but she did know she was not returning with that dress.

As it happened, Draco was not hard to find. He was on his way back to the Slytherin Common Room, flanked once again by Crabbe and Goyle. The three appeared to be having an intense discussion and had been virtually joined at the hip since returning from the holidays. It wasn't until Goyle had stopped in his tracks, that Draco looked ahead of him.

Seeing Ginny standing there, a familiar box tucked under her arm, Draco frowned. The trio moved towards her, as other students nearby turned their heads, sharing whispered speculation. They were ignored.

"Something wrong, Weasley?" Draco asked, trying to sound arrogant, in hopes of hiding his discomfort in front of the others.

Unfazed by his attempt, Ginny reached to the box, and held it out towards him. "I believe this is yours."

"A gift? For me? You shouldn't have." Draco sneered. He took the box, joining the others in a round of laughter, although his eyes flickered with anger towards the redhead.

"I don't know what your game is, Malfoy, but it was not appropriate, nor appreciated." she said, speaking to him as if they were alone.

Shifting his weight from one foot to the other, Draco looked over his shoulder. "Go on, the lot of you. Clear out. Before I start docking points!"

With a few murmurs of disapproval, the corridor emptied, leaving the two of them alone. Hiding her reaction, Ginny was secretly pleased that she had unnerved him. If he wanted to talk to her without an audience to witness his boasting and insults, then it meant he wanted to be honest with her, instead of being concerned with protecting his image.

"What is the meaning of this?" he asked her.

"I might ask you the same thing."

"I don't understand."

Ginny frowned slightly. "What was the idea, sending that dress to me?"

Draco looked at her in mild confusion. "It was something you wanted."

"So this is some kind of bribe?" Ginny's voice was tinged with annoyance. "Under what delusion did you think I would possibly accept it?"

"We both know you'd never have been able to afford it on your own. Your father..."

"Don't." she warned him.

Draco blinked, but shrugged his shoulders. "I was trying to be nice. To repay you for what you did."

"I don't want your money." She stated.

His eyes narrowed slightly. "Then what do you want? I don't want to owe you anything."

Ginny regarded him silently for a moment. "How about a thank you for saving your life?"

Draco paled slightly. It was a simple request, or so it seemed. But knowing what he was expected to do, what the consequences of failure would be...that simple request seemed all contorted and obtuse. Simple words, that were impossible for him to say.

Without a word, he turned, carrying the rejected gift, and returned to the Common Room. Ginny watched him leave, sighing heavily. As much as he did not understand her feelings about the situation, she was no closer to understanding his.

Classes had resumed, the excitement of the holidays fading as life started to return to normal within the halls of Hogwarts. The spring term was officially marked by the announcement of the first Quidditch game of the new year. The match was scheduled for the first Saturday of March, which would give the teams a few weeks to practice. This was welcome news, as no one enjoyed playing Quidditch in the snow.

The first match of the spring pitted the top two teams in the race for the Quidditch House Cup, and as usual it was going to be Gryffindor versus Slytherin. Always an intense game whenever these two rivals faced off, there was added furor over this particular game, as it was the first game to be played since Harry Potter had been banned from the team, along with the Weasley twins.

News of the banning of Gryffindor's star players was a major thorn in the paw of team captain Angelina Johnson, but the news could not have been more welcome by the Slytherin team. In one fell swoop, the Slytherins had become the odds on favor to win the Cup that year. A proverbial cloud hovered over House Gryffindor, and whenever the subject of Quidditch was mentioned, the cloud seemed to rumble with thunder.

But strangely, in the week before the match was to take place, Angelina seemed to have slightly lighter spirits. There were new players on the team, and although there was no replacing the talent she had lost in banned players, she was optimistic that her team might at least make a respectable showing.

The morning of the match dawned, though the clouds mirrored the moods of the Gryffindor team. Cloudy, cold, and damp. The Slytherins, naturally, couldn't be happier. Armed with his new broom, and a new confidence, Draco led his team down to the pitch, secure in the knowledge that victory was all but assured.

It was already known who most of the replacements for Gryffindor were. There were new Beaters, and they found a new Keeper in Ron Weasley. Having scouted these new players during practice, hardly anyone, including Gryffindor themselves, believed they stood much of a chance.

But the one missing piece of the equation, and arguably the most important, was who would be taking over the role of Seeker. Draco played the position for Slytherin, and played it well. Normally Potter would have been his opponent on the field, but his position was now filled by someone else, and no one seemed to know who it was.

It wasn't until Gryffindor marched onto the field that the answer was revealed. The long tail of flaming red hair could only have belonged to one person.

As soon as he saw it, Draco had never wished so hard in his life, to see Harry Potter.

As the players took to the sky, the crowd roared in anticipation. This promised to be a good Quidditch match, if the new players for Gryffindor could hold their own. But not everyone seemed as excited. Draco circled up high, to get a better vantage point from which to see the Snitch.

Unfortunately, he was playing against the last person he expected, or wanted, to see. She was going to be a distraction, this he knew. He had to admit, it was a stroke of strategic brilliance on the part of the Gryffindor captain to appoint her, of all people, to the Seeker position. But distraction or not, he was still the better Seeker.

Madam Hooch blew her whistle, and the game began. Scanning the skies for any sign of the elusive Golden Snitch, Draco tried to keep his mind focused on his task. He didn't see how it happened, but within seconds of the game starting, Slytherin had scored their first goal.

Cheers erupted from one side of the grandstands, and Draco sneered as he looked down upon his teammates. But his celebration was cut short, as a glint of gold caught his eye. The Snitch had appeared, racing across the width of the field. Like a bullet, he streaked off to give chase, joined a second later by his Gryffindor counterpart.

Risking a sideways glance towards her, Draco leaned forward on his broom, urging it forward. If she got the Snitch before him, despite already having one goal on the board, the game would be lost. He wasn't about to let that happen. Not to anyone else, and most certainly, not to her.

It may have been her first game playing for Gryffindor, but there was no denying her ability. Not as refined as more experienced players, she had determination and a natural instinct for the game. If she wasn't his opponent, Draco might have been impressed with her skill.

As it was, he was edging ahead of her, closing in on the small golden sphere. Reaching out to grab for it, he heard a gasp from the crowd. Glancing over his shoulder, he saw Ginny recovering from a rolling evasion, having narrowly avoided being struck with a Bludger.

Turning back with a smirk, he blinked, having lost sight of the Snitch. He cursed under his breath, for having been distracted, pulling his broom to a stop. Trying to locate the Snitch again, he saw one of the thuggish Beaters for his team draw his arm back.

The Bludger was driven hard, sent careening through the air towards Ginny again. Draco was confused as to why that would make sense, unless she were closing in on the Snitch. But it was nowhere to be seen. Ginny swerved out of the way, clearly annoyed, but not intimidated. She moved across the field, looking for any sign of her target, but only found another Bludger coming to meet her.

As the game continued, she was a primary target for the Slytherin Beaters. While Slytherins Chasers were busy keeping themselves a few points in the lead, Ginny found herself spending more time dodging Bludgers than seeking the Snitch.

A few of the shots came close to driving her off her broom, and she decided to call a time out. Moving in to huddle with the rest of her team, she asked for one of the Beaters to accompany her, in order to keep her attention focused on the Snitch, instead of Bludgers. Angelina had denied her request, citing the need for the Beaters to assist Ron in keeping out the goals that the other team seemed to keep scoring.

The game resumed, and as the Gryffindor team doubled their efforts to increase their score, the Slytherin seemed intent on maintaining their dominance. Draco and Ginny zipped around the pitch, trying to find the Snitch, while one half of the crowd came to life with a rousing round of their adopted anthem, 'Weasley Is Our King'.

The song had the desired effect, and Slytherin added another thirty points to their score in a matter of minutes. Frustrated, Ginny turned herself around, ready to make another circle of the field. But as soon as she did, she noticed Draco had spotted the Snitch.

Racing across the pitch to close the distance, Ginny knew she had only one chance. Leaning down to the handle of her broom, she increased her speed, and started to pull up beside Draco. He avoided looking at her this time, keeping his eyes on the target.

He stretched his arm out, reaching for the small golden sphere, his fingers within millimeters. Out of the corner of his eye, he could see her arm doing to the same thing. Just when he thought he could feel its smooth surface against his gloved fingers, he felt a jolt, followed by a yelp.

Reacting without thinking, Draco grabbed Ginny's wrist, catching her just before she fell. The broom she was riding fell out from under her, shattered and splintered by a Bludger. She dangled precariously beneath him, and he was being pulled over the side of his broom. He knew he couldn't hold her long enough to reach the ground.

Her eyes were wide, knowing there was an incredible distance between her and the ground below. Her grip was tight, as she clung to his hand, literally for her life. As Draco met her gaze, his face turned red, using every bit of strength he had to keep from slipping. But as he looked into her eyes, the words of his father echoed in his mind:

"The dead cannot collect."

Draco shifted his eyes, looking down at the ground far below. His fingers twitched against her wrist, as he considered this decision, which he had literally seconds to make. No one would be able to blame him. It would very easily be explained away as an accident. Looking back into Ginny's eyes, she shook her head, knowing the thought that was running through his mind.

"Please, Draco.." she whispered.
Sign up to rate and review this story