Categories > Original > Mystery

Of Mascots And Detectives

by HazelWitch81 0 reviews

Duncan, Kimberly, and Jing team up with Charlie Chan and his Clan to find a missing mascot.

Category: Mystery - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Humor - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2024-07-21 - 1345 words - Complete

1Exciting
Duncanville and The Amazing Chan And His Chan Clan


fanfic title:



Of Mascots And Detectives


by: Hailey Sands


Part One:

Oakdale High is bustling with activity as students prepare for the big football game.


Kimberly: Wow! This is so cool! My first high school football game! Maybe you're worth something after all, Duncan.


Duncan: Very funny, Kimberly.


Jing: Don't forget it's my first football game too!


Duncan sighs at the fact that he took his sisters instead of his friends.


Kimberly: Embarrassed to be with us, hey?


Duncan: How did you guess Misses A Beautiful Mind! I just wish Yangzi, Bex, and Wolf would be here. Instead they have things with their 'families'.


Jing: As Mommy always says, Life can surprise you.


Kimberly: I've prepared for this moment. Good thing I binge watched Football movies like We Are Marshall and Remember The Titans last night.

Duncan and his siblings are gathered around the school mascot, a giant eagle costume.


Jing: Wow! Is that a long lost Muppet?


Duncan: No it's the mascot! Anyway, (excited) This game is going to be epic! We can’t lose with our mascot leading the charge.


Kimberly: (rolling her eyes) It’s just a costume, Duncan.


Jing: (hugging the mascot) But it’s our lucky mascot! Even if it isn't a muppet!


Suddenly, the lights flicker and the mascot costume disappears.


Duncan: (shocked) What the…? Did anyone see that?


Kimberly: The lights went out for a minute....


Jing: And now the mascot is gone! Who is going to help us?


Duncan (gets his cellphone): I know who. Dad told me about these dudes.


Down the street headed to Oakdale High. Charlie Chan and his children are traveling in their high-tech van. They receive a distress call from Oakdale High via Duncan.


Charlie Chan: (calmly) It appears we have a new mystery to solve, children.


Henry: (excited) A missing mascot? This sounds like fun!


Sue: (determined) Let’s get to work!


Finally stopping at Oakdale High. The Chan Clan arrives and meets Duncan and his friends.


Duncan: (impressed) Whoa, you guys are like real detectives! My Dad told me all about you.


Kimberly: Hey, wait a minute, arent you some detective from an old timey movie called "The Chinese Ring"?


Jing: Be careful what you say there, Kimberly. You never know who you're going to offend.


Charlie Chan: No it's fine (smiling) We are here to help. Let’s start by examining the scene.


Jing: How do you know about that movie, Kimberly?


Kimberly: Our history teacher showed it to us.


The group splits up to search for clues. Henry and Jing find a strange footprint near the mascot’s last known location.


Henry: (examining the footprint) This looks like it belongs to someone wearing a very unique shoe.


Jing: (excited) Maybe it’s a clue!




Part Two:


Duncan, Kimberly, and Jing were going around the gym helping Charlie Chan, Henry and Sue. Kimberly and Sue are questioning the Coach Walter who was the Football Coach.


Kimberly: (suspicious) Coach, did you see anything unusual?


Coach Walter: (nervous) Uh, no, nothing at all…


Sue: (whispering to Kimberly) He’s hiding something.


Kimberly: How can you tell.


Sue (whispers to Kimberly): It's instinct.


Just then, Kimberly spots a torn piece of fabric caught on the edge of a nearby table. She picks it up.


Kimberly: (holding up the fabric) Coach, uh whatever your name is.


Duncan: It's Walter.


Kimberly: Okay, Coach WALTER! You want to care to explain why there’s a piece of the mascot's costume fabric here.


Sighs in defeat. Coach Walter fesses up.


Coach Walter: (reluctantly) Okay, okay. I might have seen something. There was a student and someone else acting suspiciously near the mascot earlier today.


Sue: (leaning in) Who was it?


Coach Walter: (pointing) Over there, that’s a Curator. He's been acting strangely all week.


Sue: We know him! We've encountered him before.


Kimberly and Sue exchange a knowing glance and head over to Curator. Meanwhile, Charlie Chan and Duncan venture into the school's labyrinthine basement, following a trail of muddy footprints.


Duncan: (shining a flashlight) I had no idea this basement was so big.


Charlie Chan: Mysteries often hide in unexpected places, Duncan. Stay alert.


They come across an old maintenance room with a suspiciously clean floor.


Duncan: (pointing) Look, Mr. Chan, the floor here has been recently scrubbed clean. Maybe someone was trying to hide evidence?


Charlie Chan: (nodding) Indeed, Duncan. Let's keep searching.


They continue deeper into the basement, their flashlight beams casting eerie shadows on the walls. Back outside, Henry and Jing follow the trail of the unique shoe prints through the school courtyard.


Jing: (excitedly) Henry, look! The prints lead towards the old abandoned shed.


Henry: (grinning) Let’s see what’s inside.


Jing: Playing detective is fun! No wonder Mommy wants to be one!


Henry: It definately has it's perks.


They cautiously approach the shed and hear muffled voices from within. Jing peeks through a crack in the door.


Jing: (whispering) Henry, it’s the missing mascot costume!


Henry nods, and they quietly open the door, surprising a group of students huddled around the costume. With the Curator.


The Curator: (startled) Uh oh...


Henry and Jing step forward, determined but calm.


Henry: (firmly) What’s going on here? Why do you have the mascot costume?


The Curator: (nervous) We... we were just trying to prank the team. We didn’t mean any harm.


Student #1: Uh, yes. We teamed up with this Curator dude and.....


Student #2: Yeah, we're from a rival school and he encouraged us to do it.


The Curator: Okay, I admitted it. What is going to happen now.


Jing: (sympathetic) Pranks can go wrong quickly. Let’s sort this out peacefully.


The students sheepishly hand over the costume, realizing their mistake. Henry calls Charlie Chan to apperhend The Curator. Duncan and Charlie along with Kimberly and Sue all run outside.


Duncan: Did you catch the culprit?


Jing: We did!


Henry: It's that old enemy of ours! The Curator.


Sue: I thought he looked familiar.


Henry: Turns out he egged on students from a rival school to hide the mascot.


Jing: It's all too true.


The Curator: I suppose you're going to arrest me now.


Kimberly: No worries, with any luck maybe you'll get community service!


Charlie Chan: Standard procedure! I must run you in!


Jing: Case closed!


Later, Charlie Chan meets with Mr. Mitch to discuss the incident.

Mr. Mitch: (grateful) Thank you, Mr. Chan, for resolving this situation swiftly and peacefully.

Charlie Chan: (nodding) It was our pleasure, Mr. Mitch. Just glad we could help.

Mr. Mitch nods and smiles as Charlie leaves the office.

The game is in full swing, with the mascot leading the charge. Duncan and his friends cheer from the sidelines. Much to Duncan's surprise, Bex, Wolf, and Yangzi came!


Duncan: I thought you guys have things to do with your families?


Yangzi: We made up an excuse so we didn't have to.


Bex: You won't believe how oblivious my Grandma is! She's like Jack Nicholson at the end of One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest


Wolf: Let the game begin!


Kimberly: Yes! My junior high friends will be so jealous that I attended a high school football game! (headed towards Wolf) and I get to sit by Wolf!


Jing: So will my kindergarten friends!


Duncan: Fine, Kimberly! Just this once!


Bex: Who are these dudes sitting with us?


Yangzi: We've never seen them before.


Charlie Chan: I am great detective Charlie Chan, and these are my offspring!


Kimberly: We solved a case with them!


Bex, Yangzi, and Wolf all shake the hands of Charlie Chan, Sue, and Henry.


Duncan: (grinning) Thanks, Chan Clan. You saved the day!


Charlie Chan: (smiling) It was our pleasure. Remember, teamwork and friendship are the keys to solving any mystery.


Sue: Now we get to watch a football game!


Henry: With honor and pride!


The crowd cheers as the game continues, with the mascot proudly leading the team to victory under the glowing Friday night lights.


The End


Sign up to rate and review this story