Categories > Celebrities > Fall Out Boy > A Chance Acquaintance

Leeding the Way

by Tawney 3 reviews

6 months later and Ollie's in a situation she'd rather avoid.

Category: Fall Out Boy - Rating: R - Genres: Romance - Published: 2006-10-04 - Updated: 2006-10-04 - 2897 words

2Insightful
6 months later

"I can't believe you've done this" I snapped whilst shoving my woolly hat further down on my head.

Logan looked at me briefly, his pale blue eyes crinkling in amusement, before turning his gaze back to the road.

The headlights lit up the road like beacons as we followed the steady line of traffic up a long sloping hill.

"Think of it as an early Christmas present." He said whilst taking a handful of fruit pastilles from the bag resting on my lap.

"Christmas isn't for another 4 months Logan," I growled. "I know what you're trying to do and I don't appreciate it."

"Moi?" he said innocently, "I'm sure I don't know what you mean."

I huffed at him and he stuck his tongue out in response, a thick wad of half chewed fruit pastilles in plain view.

I turned away from him to stare out of the window; half because he was gross, half because I couldn't stop a smile from emerging. Logan has always had that effect on me; I can never stay mad at him for long, no matter how much I want to.

Out of the corner of my eye I saw him reach over and twiddle the volume button on the stereo. My Chemical Romance suddenly blasted out the speakers, filling the car with "Thank you for the Venom", Logan's favourite song.

I sat back in my seat trying to get comfy, My Chem weren't my ideal choice of road music but as Logan loves them I make do. Slipping off my Birkenstocks I pulled my feet up and rested them on the dashboard. This earned me a quick chastising glance from Logan, to which I gave him the finger. He raised one pale blonde eyebrow at me, giving me a mocking shocked look.

"Someone woke up in a bad mood this morning." He said with a smile.

I looked at him in disbelief.

"Woke up? Woke up? I think you mean forced awake by her crazy flatmate, who then proceeded to drag her out at some mental hour and bundle her into a car without so much as a 'how'd you do' let alone an explanation."

He responded by grabbing another handful of fruit pastilles and shoving the whole lot into his mouth.

I gave him what I hoped was my most fierce glare but again felt myself losing momentum. Admitting defeat, in that I wasn't going to be getting much of an explanation any time soon, I shut my eyes and tried not to think about what the next 3 days would hold. Unfortunately it was all I could think about.

We were on the way to Leeds festival. I knew it, Logan knew it, and I knew he knew I knew it.

God Damn it.

We'd been every year for the past 6 years; it was somewhat of a tradition. Except that this year, when the time to buy tickets had come around I'd just....forgotten to get any. Ok so that wasn't strictly speaking true, I'd just decided that this year I wouldn't go. I mean works been crazy and I've got loads of paper work to do.....it's absolutely got nothing to do with the fact that a certain band I saw 6 months ago in LA are going to be headlining the main stage. No it wasn't anything to do with that, or the fact that I met the bassist and spilled my heart out to him and now can't stop thinking about him.

I'm so screwed up.

Bloody Logan, how could he do this to me?

I told Pete things I've never told anyone, not even Logan and he's my best friend. It's going to be so mortifying.

"Wakey Wakey sleeping beauty"

I opened my eyes at Logan's loud voice and not so gentle nudge.

"I'm not asleep," I said grumpily, "Just praying for death."

We'd come to a stop in the traffic so Logan turned to face me. He was suddenly serious, concern flickered in his gaze and his eyebrows were knitted together with worry.

"Is this really going to be so bad Ol?" he asked, "I truly thought it would help"

I wanted to scream at him. 'OF COURSE YOU IDIOT! It's going to be horrific.' One. He'll either think I'm some crazy stalker and have me arrested or two, he too will be mortally embarrassed and probably make some big joke out of the whole thing. For some reason, I don't know why, the idea of Pete cheapening our encounter was more worrying and painful to think about than the thought of being arrested.

Of course I couldn't say this to Logan. No matter how misguided his intentions were they were done with love, with the right thought behind them. He was looking out for me, just like I would for him. I couldn't be mad at him for that. After all it wasn't his fault that I met Pete and totally screwed myself over.

"No," I said looking at him, putting on a brave face. "I'm sure it won't be so bad, maybe I'll even have fun" I said with a small smile.

Logan grinned, his dimples lighting up his pale, angled face.

"Wicked! We are so gunna rock the main stage this year!"

His enthusiasm was infectious and though I didn't really want to, I felt that spark of excitement shoot through me. Logan was right. We would have fun; we always did. Besides there were tonnes of other bands there that I loved and would have an amazing time rocking out to. And if you think about it, the likelihood of me even catching a glimpse of Pete was pretty slim, especially if I avoided their set altogether.

Suddenly in a much better mood I turned the radio up even louder and started to sing along. Logan's deep voice joined me and we belted out the words, both of us getting lost in the moment.

X

An hour and a half later, the novelty of singing had worn off. We'd also managed to consume a family sized bag of fruit pastilles, Cheesy Doritos, and a giant bottle of Doctor Pepper. I for one was feeling slightly rough.

We were about 3 miles from the festival ground and were locked bumper to bumper in slow moving traffic.

"God Damn it!" I cursed loudly. "How long does it take to park a few frigging cars?"

"Chill my fiery friend" Logan said as he turned the car air con on. It was only about half 8 in the morning and already it was hot. I had a feeling that this weekend was going to be a scorcher.

"I'm sure they're doing their best." He said handing me a bottle of luke warm water. I drank it gratefully, washing the fruity cheesy taste out my mouth.

"Yeah right" I muttered under my breath.

X

For the past 5 minutes Logan had been having a staring match with the guy in the car in front of us.

We had been stuck in traffic for so long now that we were resorting to desperate measures to relieve boredom.

"I'd be careful if I were you," I said as Logan narrowed his eyes in concentration. "That guy looks pretty buff; I think he might kick your ass if you beat him."

"Shut up" He hissed at me, "I'm not losing to a guy with a sticker that says 'Proud to be a yellow belly' stuck to his bumper"

"Whatever" I said shaking my head in despair. I reached down and picked my bag up off the floor, routing around I found my phone and spent the next few minutes texting my mum and people at work to let them know where the hell I was and why I hadn't shown up for opening this morning.

"SHIT!" Logan cursed angrily as he broke eye contact and the guy in front of us stuck his hand out the window in a triumphant thumbs up.

"Bad Luck Logan" I said patting his arm, "You lost to a Yellow belly!"

He swatted me away playfully and leaned over me to the glove compartment. Opening it he pulled out a large bag of revels and dropped them on my lap.

"I need chocolate to console me" He explained with a pout. Hitting the gas and letting off the clutch we managed to move forwards a couple of ft before once more coming to a stop.

"Whatever you say," I said looking at him disapprovingly, "You're gunna be bouncing off the walls if you're not careful; all that sugar."

He ignored me and picked up the chocolate, a look of pure bliss on his face as he shoved a handful in his mouth.

"So" he said after a minutes hard chewing, "How many trendies do you reckon are gunna be here this year?"

"Don't call them that!" I said swatting him around the head, "its not nice to stereotype."

"Well I'm sorry but it's true!" he said matter of factly. "Festivals are about grunge, about not washing properly for 4 days and smelling like weed, piss and beer. It's not about denim mini skirts and fresh lipstick every morning. I mean seriously, don't they understand that it's about the music?"

"Whether I agree or not it still doesn't change the fact that Leeds should be for everyone not just stoners, hippies and emo's. Plus I hasten to add, I have a denim mini skirt somewhere in my bag."

I looked at him pointedly.

"Yeah but you wear it with a punky sorta style." He said shrugging nonchalantly as if that were a reasonably explanation.

I sighed and rolled my eyes at him. He smirked back and helped himself to more chocolate. I took one myself, popping it into my mouth. As I bit into it I grimaced in disgust and quickly opened the window.

"Eurgh. Orange!" I said as Logan looked my way at my strange behaviour.

Leaning my head out of the window I spat the offending sweet out as far as I could.

"Remind me again why we bought revels?" I asked grabbing the water bottle and taking a swig to rid myself of the horrible orange taste. "I only really like a couple of them so it's like a total waste.....O wow!"

I had just caught a glimpse of the very top of the main stage as we passed a gap in the trees. A spark of excitement ran through me and I pointed it out to Logan with a squeal.

"Look! We're almost there!"

He laughed at my enthusiasm and leaned over to get a look.

"So we are." He said with a smile. "In that case you should probably get dressed. I don't think your current attire is very appropriate."

"O yeah right." I said realising he had a point. As Logan had practically frog marched me out of the flat, I'd only had time to pull a hoodie on over my PJ top and so was dressed in one of Logan's My Chem hoodie's and my tartan PJ bottoms.

"Ok I'll change in the back, no peeping perve!" I joked with a wink.

Truth is, Logan's seen it all before. We had a thing for like a week back in secondary school, it didn't really go anywhere though. Infact I think it just confirmed for us that we were much better off friends. Logan and I are too similar in too many ways for it to be anything more, especially now; after almost 10 years of friendship thinking of him in a sexual way would be wrong on so many levels.

I undid my seatbelt and climbed over the seat into the back of the car. Logan had pretty much dumped everything in a pile on the backseat so it took me a while to find my clothes. After much routing I finally located a pair of skinny jeans, my south park skinny tee an old Christmas present from Chloe, and my old but comfy converse.

After much struggling, getting changed in a crowded back seat isn't easy you know, I emerged as dressed as I was gunna get. As I climbed back into the front Logan handed me his brush, he always has a brush or comb on him, his hair being a source of much exasperation to him.

Verging on albino, Logan's hair is white blonde, fluffy and silky smooth and it annoys him to no end. The slightest breeze and it's sticking up in all direction. I personally think it's cute but he hates it. He went through a Goth phase in school and dyed it black but it didn't really work. His skins so pale it made him look ill and people in the street would come up to him and ask him if he was alright. Surprisingly enough that annoyed him too and when the dye finally washed out he never mentioned changing his hair colour again.

It's sorta the exact opposite to my hair which is long, curly, verging on ginger and always in a state of disarray.

I yanked a brush through my tangled mess as best I could settling on tying it back with a thin scarf.

"Very Leeds chic." Logan said giving me the once over.

He clicked the indicators on and we turned slowly into a small dirt track road. We were getting close now, just a twisty road through a wood and we'd be there.

"Thanks, but I thought you said Leeds wasn't about the fashion?!" I quipped.

He grinned at me as he clunked into 2nd gear.

"Well yes that's true but the first days an exception. That's the day when everyone is fresh and clean and wants to make a good impression."

"O right, of course. Silly me!" I rolled my eyes at him as he carried on his spiel.

You see, what I'm wearing says a lot about me." He patted his jeans; "Skinny jeans mean I'm verging on Emo, but the fact that they're blue not black mean that I'm also channelling punk."

"Pur-Lease," I said shaking my head. "Everyone wears skinny jeans nowadays."

"Ah yes but teamed with my t-shirt, slim fit, band style, which is clearly verging on roadie and my sunglasses, prada; obviously trendie." He patted the shades that were perched on the top of his head.

"It all adds up to make me totally non-conformist. I'm a mix of all stereotypes, you can't define me."

"O really?" I said, "So where's your stoner chic then?"

He seemed to ponder for a moment, then eyes lighting up pointed to his raggedy converse.

"My shoes; they're so tatty and beat up it's almost like I've decided not to buy new shoes and spend the money on weed instead."

I snorted with laughter at his explanation; he looked so pleased with himself.

"Idiot!" I said still laughing. "So what does your clothes theory say about me?"

He looked me up and down thoughtfully.

"Well, skinny jeans are obviously Emo. Converse laced right up; punky. South park t-shirt....well that means that your heads not really in the festival yet, if it was you'd be wearing a band tee and showing your support. You're unwilling to link yourself to any bands for some unknown reason."

I turned away from Logan as I felt my face burn red. Those old feelings of mortification were back and stronger than ever now that we were barely a mile away from the festival grounds.

"I'm not sure I like your theory Logan." I said quietly.

X

After Logan's not so subtle dig at my reluctance being here, the mood in the car darkened at least for a little while.

I was quiet because I was deep in thought again. Back to being mad at Logan for bringing me here and mad at myself for not being able to get a musician I'd met for half an hour in an LA car park out of my head.

Logan I presumed was quiet because he was unsure of what to say to me. He obviously knew he'd touched a nerve, at least I think he did. He clearly had some sort of master plan in his head that I wasn't conforming to.

He'd get over it, the question was would I?

X

"O My God" I said as I gawped out the window.

Logan, who had just put a sweet in his mouth, let out a strangled cough as he too watched the scene before us unfold.

Mr Yellowbelly in front of us was currently sitting with his car door open, unceremoniously pissing out the side of the car.

I tore my eyes away from the bizarre scene and looked over at Logan. He was staring eyes wide and horrified, his mouth open in a disbelieving 'O'.

I couldn't help it; I burst into peels of hysterical laughter which after a few seconds Logan joined in with.

"He's even got a mullet!" I gasped clutching my sides as a cramp formed.

"Don't!" He panted as he struggled to catch his breath.

I knew that our previous argument wasn't forgotten, but it was in the past. Like I said before, I can never stay mad at Logan for long. So whilst we gasped with all consuming laughter, an unspoken agreement was made; that was the end of our 2nd spat of the day.
Sign up to rate and review this story