Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Strains of Melody

Home Sweet Home

by Lachesis 1 review

An abused 5-year-old Harry Potter is rescued from the Dursleys' by muggles and adopted. There's just one problem: the person who adopted him doesn't exist. Non-explicit child abuse, future slash. M...

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Crossover, Fantasy - Characters: Harry, Neville - Warnings: [!!] [?] - Published: 2005-07-04 - Updated: 2005-07-05 - 1246 words

3Original
*

Minerva McGonagall sighed wearily as she walked towards the large brick structure nestled in the trees. Beside her strode her fellow professor, who, unsurprisingly, was currently sneering at the rather pleasant place. Oddly enough, though, she couldn't hear any insults being muttered under his breath.

"Severus? You've been unusually quiet."

The potions master glanced at her, then resumed glaring at the orphanage. A minute later, just given up hope of getting an answer, he spoke. "It wasn't supposed to be like this. He was supposed to grow up as a spoiled, arrogant brat that I could safely hate."

Minerva pursed her lips, gazing off into the distance. "I wish it could have been like that, too." Seeing that they were nearing the building, she pulled out her wand and changed her robes into a muggle business suit. "Well, at least we can get him out of this place. It seems nice enough, but a wizarding child does not belong with muggles." And I told Albus that, four years ago.

Severus snorted, pullin gout his wand to do the same, and reached out to pull open the door. Inside, the young, pretty receptionist looked up with a welcoming, if somewhat vacuous smile.

The Slytherin detested her on sight.

"Can I help you?"

"Ah, yes," Minerva said, striding forward. "Could you perhaps direct us to whomever is in charge of the children?"

The girl blinked. "I think that would be Dr. Johannson. She's in charge of adoptions, at least." She beamed at the visitors. "Would you like me to tell you how to get to her office?"

"Yes, if you please," Severus growled sarcastically.

Apparently that fine art form was wasted on one such as the young woman, who nodded eagerly. "Oh, it's really very simple. All you have to do is..."

*

"/Simple/, my ass," Severus muttered to himself as he performed yet another 'Point Me' spell, and both professors grimaced as they realized they were going the wrong way.

Again.

"Now, now, Severus," Minerva chided, looking around absently. "I'm sure she meant well."

He snorted. "Good intentions pave the way to Hell."

The Transfiguration professor sighed, walking back the way they'd come. "It can't be that far from here. There aren't all that many places left we haven't seen." Reaching the hallway intersection, she turned to the right, and the scowling man followed.

About five minutes later they at last stood in front of the elusive office. Almost unconsciously bracing herself, Minerva knocked on the door.

"Come in." The voice that came through the door sounded oddly...preoccupied. Sharing a look, the two professors went in.

Inside, a middle-aged brunette sat behind a desk, staring vaguely at the wall. "Dr. Johannson?"

The woman started, turning to stare at them wide-eyed as though she had forgotten she'd invited them in. "Y-yes? Can...I help you?"

A bit nonplussed, Minerva offered her a tight smile. "The young lady at the front desk said that we should come to you regarding one of your charges."

Blinking, the doctor nodded, seeming to return to herself. "Yes, that would be me. Er...are you looking to adopt?" she asked, quizzically eyeing the rather menacing man who had taken up station against her wall.

"Not really," Minerva answered. "You see, we only just found out that the son of old friends of ours-" she ignored Severus's choke of horror, "- was sent here a few days ago."

"Ah." Dr. Johannson frowned thoughtfully. "What was the child's name?"

"Harry Potter."

The doctor's eyes widened, and she shook her head in surprise. "Surely the boy is here," Severus snapped, breaking his silence.

She smiled helplessly. "Well, he /was/." Seeing their shocked expressions, she sighed. "I'm sorry, but you've just missed him. He was adopted not more than half an hour ago."

*

"/WHAT/?!"

Severus blinked, sure that never before in his life had he heard the headmaster raise his voice. Hell, he wasn't sure anyone had.

Lucky him.

"The boy was already gone by the time we got there," he repeated. "Whoever took him slightly modified the memory of the woman in charge of him, so that she believed they had performed a background check when in fact they hadn't. The name that was on the few records...doesn't exist."

For a moment Dumbledore sat perfectly still, before he reached down and opened a drawer in his enormous desk. The Slytherin watched, puzzled, as he withdrew a piece of parchment and cast what sounded like a location spell on it. Seeing the name written on it, he hissed in surprise. "Albus? Is that what I think it is?"

"That would depend on what you think it is," the old man answered, slumping. "Particularly as it doesn't seem to be working at the moment." He turned the parchment so his former student could see its blank surface.

/Ironic/, Severus mused, still a bit shocked. Ironic that the leader of the forces of Light used blood magic. Then he froze as he focused on the Life Marker. "That's impossible."

Dumbledore simply nodded in mute agreement.

The professor frowned. "Is it possible that the boy is..."

"Dead?" Dumbledore shook his head. "If he was, this-" he waved the Life Marker, "- would only be so many ashes. As it is...he is simply somewhere it cannot track him."

"Potter is lost, then?"

"Not...necessarily." The headmaster smiled wearily at his colleague's lifted brow. "There is always his acceptance letter."

Severus's eyes widened. "But...that won't be for another six years!"

For the first time, the headmaster's eyes again began to twinkle. "Now, Severus, is that concern I hear in your voice?"

The younger man stayed stubbornly silent, a scowl on his face, and Dumbledore sighed. "Six years or not..."

Bright blue eyes bored into black ones.

"...it is our only hope."

*

Taka sighed in relief, drawing in a breath of truly fresh air. Hearing a small gasp, he looked down to see his tiny Heir gaping at his new home. The sorcerer smiled, remembering the first he'd seen the Citadel himself.

Had it really been so long ago, that he had come to take it for granted? Over a thousand years...

Shaking away his thoughts, he craned his head upwards, shielding his eyes from the sunlight that flashed off the enormous crystal tower as he searched the sky.

Ah, there! Taka trained his eyes on the circling dot, calling for his familiar to come down.

Well, it seems rather pointless to ask whether you found him. Stormwing answered, diving towards them. It'll be nice to have a new face around.

Taka smiled, lifting his arm as the storm-gray merlin flared and dropped almost daintily onto the proffered perch. He glanced down again at his Heir, who had left off staring at the Citadel itself to staring at the enormous grounds contained within the pocket dimension. "Harry? I'd like you to meet someone." The boy turned and looked at him expectantly, and he gestured to his passenger. "This is my familiar, Stormwing."

To his credit, the boy didn't even blink. He simply bowed slightly, saying solemnly that it was a pleasure. Then he promptly spoiled the image by giggling as the bird returned the bow. Smiling up at the Citadel, Taka completely missed the look of chagrin that washed over the child's face, though Stormwing didn't. Puzzled, the familiar resolved to bring it up later as his Bonded put a hand on Harry's shoulder, still smiling.

"Come on, lad. Let's get home."
Sign up to rate and review this story