Categories > Original > Drama > My Sanctuary

Prolouge

by darks00 3 reviews

Joey Chambers tries to get into the band called "My Sanctuary."

Category: Drama - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama - Published: 2006-10-05 - Updated: 2006-10-06 - 1252 words

0Illiterate
Hello everyone, Darks here! I decided to change a few things (and correct errors) in the story. I hope you enjoy!

A few weeks before my Uncle George died, he gave me some advice. I have been practicing for years with him learning how to play the drums. One day, I told him I had a dream to become a famous drummer for a band. This is the advice he gave me:

If you have a dream, don't just dream about it, make it reality.
To make the dream a reality, you must work hard for it.
Don't take rejection too harshly, what one person doesn't like, another person loves.
The harder it is to achieve a a dream, the more rewarding the dream is when it's achieved.


I thought I understood what Uncle George meant when he told me this when I was a child. Now that I'm older and experienced trying to achieve a dream myself, I now completely understand what he meant. My name is Joey Chambers, and this is my band and my story.


My Sanctuary

Prologue


Joey Chambers walked down the dull, white halls of Michael Lumbard school. His shoes echoed through the lonely hallways. He sighed. It had been a bad day of school for him. Especially with his history teacher.She was always giving him a hard time about his homework. He walked down the hallways, with his drumsticks in his hands, lightly tapping them against his dirty blue jeans. He was doing the beat and lightly humming to his favorite band...Drowning Pool... song, "I Told You So."

Drums were always Joey's passion. No, more than that. It was everything to him. It's what he lived for. He's fourteen and has been playing drums since he was in grade two. He's been taking lessons from his Uncle George.

Lost in his thoughts, Joey kept on walking through the lonely hallways. It was then from the corner of his eye he saw a bright, neon green poster stapled to a bulletin board. It said, "NEED A NEW DRUMER."

Joey's eyes widened with interest. He continue to read the sign:

Looking for an drum player for the band, "My Sanctuary." Must be between the age of 15-19. Come join Megan (singer/pianist), Kenny (guitar player) and Kyle (bass guitar player). Auditions October 20, 4 o'clock Thursday, in room 132. Don't be late!

Joey cursed under his breath. He would be fifteen next month. He was only a bit shy of fifteen, maybe a month wouldn't matter. Maybe they'd let him join. But he couldn't take the chance of somebody older trying to get into the band. Making sure no one was looking, he took down the poster, ripped it into pieces, then threw it into the nearest trash can. He hoped no one has seen it.


October 20, At the try outs:

Joey took a deep breath as he walked into room 132. This is what he always wanted...so why was he afraid? As he walked into the room, he was greeted by three kids around his size.

The first one was a male. He was a short, plumpier kid with brunette hair, a little bit longer than a mushroom cut. He wore simple black pants with a black shirt that said, "I see dumb people reading my shirt." He had a boring look.

The second one was female. She had long, black hair. I noticed her beautiful, sapphire blue eyes right away. She wore jean shorts with a green sleeveless t-shirt. She gave a little smile.

And finally, the third one, another boy. He had short red hair, that was messy and was in his face. He wore a leather jacket with a blue shirt and baggy black jeans. He wore a chain both on his neck and on his jeans. He frowned at Joey.

"Hello," Said the girl.

Joey knew right away she was Megan, for it said on the poster. She was the only female in the band.

"I'm Megan," She said. -She pointed at the red haired kid- "This is Kyle," -Then she pointed at the brunette haired boy- "And this is Kenny."

"It's sad no one else showed up," moaned Kenny. "It's not fun when you don't get to judge others."

Joey tried to put an innocent face on. They didn't show up for the try-outs for he tore down the poster. He sort of felt guilty.

"Meh. This band sucks, anyways." Replied Kyle.

"Shut up," Kenny told Kyle angrily.

"BOYS!" Megan cried out. "Why do you always fight? Let's see what this kid can do. What's your name?"

"Joey Chambers."

"Ok, Joey," said Kenny, "Let's see what you got."

"Here's some drum sticks," said Megan, handing Joey two worn wooden drum sticks.

"No, thanks." Joey refused politely. "I got my own."

He took out his two drum sticks from his backpack.

Kyle laughed at him rudely. "You brought your own drum sticks? Are you obsessed with them or something?"

"KYLE!" Cried out Megan. "Don't be rude. He's probably just into his drums as you are to your guitar."

Kyle shrugged.

"It's more than that," Joey told them. "My Uncle George gave them to me. They were once his favourite drum sticks and he's now in heaven. He meant everything to me...he even taught me how to play the drums. I have these drum sticks with me always in his memory."

Kyle laughed again. Joey only rolled his eyes.

"Enough story telling," complained Kenny. "Let's hear what you got."

Joey went up to the snare drum, and took in a deep breath.

"I must admit," Joey said, "I'm very nervous."

The band said nothing. Joey thought that was the sign to go. Joey began to play a beat on the drum. He wanted to impress them with his speed with his drum sticks. First impression is everything, after all. But Joey's hands soon felt clammy from anxiety. The drum stick slipped out of his hand. The band started to laugh.

"I'm sorry," Joey apologize. "I'm just so nervous."

He tried to play again, but the same thing happened- he dropped the drum stick. Joey moaned in frustration. This is his dream...and he's too nervous to make it come true.

"I think we heard enough," Said Kyle.

Joey looked down in disappointment. He knew he wasn't going to be the drummer of the band. Megan sighed.

"Well, I guess we have no other choice. You're the only one who came. We did say after all on the poster 'don't be late!'. Tell you what...we'll give you a try. Maybe it is just nerves today. Don't mess it up."

"I won't let you down!" Joey cried out happily. "Promise!"

Joey tried so hard not to scream on the top of his lungs with happiness. He did it! He's in the band!

"If you're going to be apart of the band, you need a nickname," Said Megan.

"Oh, yeah," Said Kenny. "All the band has nicknames. I'm "Lady's Man."

Joey laughed.

"Megan's Darkness' Illusion," Kenny continued. "And Kyle is Dice."

"Cool." Joey replied.

"What do you want your nickname to be?" Megan asked Joey.

"Uhhh...I don't know..." Joey said, thinking on top of his head. "I never really thought about it."

"I know!" Kenny cried out like a little child. "You can't even hold your drum stick! Let's call you Drumstick!"

Joey laughed. "I like it."

Megan clapped her hands. "Drumstick it is! Welcome to the band, Joey!"

TO BE CONTINUED...

xxdarkness' kidxx
Sign up to rate and review this story