Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Saves Nine

Chapter 2

by estaog 4 reviews

Harry settles into the past and is called before a council of Elders

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure - Characters: Harry - Published: 2006-10-16 - Updated: 2006-10-16 - 3487 words

5Exciting
Disclaimer: This story is based on characters and situations created and owned by J.K. Rowling, various publishers including, but not limited to: Bloomsbury Books, Scholastic Books and Raincoast Books, and Warner Bros., Inc. No copyright or trademark infringement is intended.


Saves Nine

Chapter 2


July 13, 1997

"Phile Markus Savage." The voice was powerful. "You stand before the full council of House Dispater. It is an honor rarely received by a lowly phile. Should your reason for requesting audience with us be lacking, your fate shall not be pleasant."

The speaker sat in the shadows on a platform raised several meters from the floor. There were two figures flanking him: one male, one female. Running the length of the two longest walls of the room were two more raised platforms, slightly lower than the first, that formed a sort of canyon that Markus Savage was now standing in. These two platforms were the galleries in which the Archs attended council, and sitting in the highest dais were the three Elders of House Dispater. Markus Savage was nervous, and the dim lighting of the room accompanied with the harsh spotlight shining down from directly above him did nothing to ease the situation.

"Of- of course, High Elder. I would not dare think of requesting an audience without proper reason," Markus managed to stutter. "My request regards the Dark Lord."

"Voldemort?"

Markus shuddered at the name, showing his weakness for all the council to see. The others did not so much as bat an eyelash.

"Yes, High Elder." Markus paused for a moment. "The great majority of Clanless vampires have joined him."

Many of the Archs in the gallery shifted uncomfortably.

"And you believe House Dispater should, as well." It was a statement, not a question.

"Yes, High Elder." Since Markus stood with his head bowed, he did not notice the woman vampire to the High Elder's right rise from her seat in anger. The High Elder stopped her with a motion from his hand and she reluctantly returned to her seat.

"Why?" It was a simple question, but it made Markus freeze for a moment before responding.

"Joining forces with the Dark Lord will allow us to move openly! We will no longer have to hide in the shadows! No longer will we have to to be cautious in our feeding! We can use the mortals like the cattle they are!"

This was a common sentiment among the younger vampires, those that just did not understand that a vampire's place was in the shadows. The Vampire Nation had seen civilizations rise and fall while they prospered in the shadows, the oldest of cultures were but mere babes next to the rulers of the night.

"Interesting," the High Elder responded.

"And we- we could present a gift to the Dark Lord-so he will be more amenable."

"A gift, you say?" The High Elder was intrigued. What sort of gift could one present the Dark Lord to make him 'more amenable'?

"Harry Potter, High Elder," Markus answered. "He has continued to escape the Dark Lord's grasp time and again. Presenting the Dark Lord with Harry Potter's corpse would make him very agreeable. I just recently learned of his location, and he is protected only by a few simple wards based on his blood."

The silence in the chamber was deafening as the High Elder processed Markus' information.

"Very well-" there were several gasps as the High Elder spoke "-you may collect this Harry Potter. Now go."

Markus gave a deep bow and rushed from the room as fast as politely possible. As soon as the door to the chamber closed, the woman who had been angered by Markus' request turned to the High Elder.

"Why did you allow him his desire, Aeacus?" she inquired. As one of the two lesser Elders, she should have been at the very least consulted for such an important decision as deciding to follow Voldemort. Not only that, but no vampire over a century would think to follow a psychopath of the sort Voldemort was.

"Have you no faith in me, Megaera?" was the High Elder's amused response. When he saw Megaera's look, he continued. "When I first learned of Voldemort's resurrection, I decided to observe his defeater myself. Blood wards are but the least of the boy's protection; I simply chose a less conventional means for Markus Savage's execution."


August 5, 1975

With a soft pop, Harry appeared in the entry hall of a fair sized house. The floors and walls were made of a light Cappuccino beige marble polished to a nice shine. The foyer opened up into a large sitting room with red carpeting recessed a few steps below the level of the entry hall's floor. Walking into the sitting room, Harry noticed the atrium ceiling and the second floor mezzanine running around the room. On the wall directly opposite the foyer was a large fireplace, presumably for the Floo connection, though there was no fire burning. Above the fireplace mantel was a large picture frame, the portrait empty. To his right, Harry spotted a dining room through an open set of doors, and to his left, a wide flight of stairs that moved up to a landing halfway between the first and second floors before splitting into two flights of stairs that ran perpendicular to the first to meet with the mezzanine on either side. On the wall to the left of the fireplace was a door that Harry saw led to a study after poking his head in.

He was about to climb the stairs to explore the second floor when someone interrupted his thoughts.

"Ah, hello there, Atrus, dear." At the warm feminine voice, Harry spun around, drawing his wand and quickly casting a strong shield as he did so. The powerful offensive spell he was prepared to cast died on his lips as he spotted the speaker: the portrait above the fireplace that had been empty was now occupied by a middle-aged witch to whom time had been kind.

"Pardon?" Harry asked as he lowered his wand.

"Right, I suppose the goblins didn't tell you," the woman answered. "I am your mother, Viola Schwarz."

Harry just looked at her funny.

"Well," she continued after seeing his expression, "it's a technique the goblins developed with some help from their vampire patrons. I am an artificially created portrait, meaning the subject of the painting - that is to say, me - never existed in any shape or form, which is necessary for a truly cognizant portrait to be made."

"It's obviously not all that necessary if you were made," Harry interrupted her.

"Too true." She grinned as she said this. "Through the help of the vampire blood magics and their own, the goblins can create intelligent portraits of people that never existed. The subject of the portrait can be given a complete history and personality, the only flaw - if it can be called a flaw - is that even though I remember living, I know that it's an elaborately conceived fiction."

"It sounds to me like a terribly complicated process," Harry noted. "How is it that they managed to create you in such a short time?"

"I was actually created several years ago, but I was left blank. As you were giving the goblins the general details of your life, they were magically creating a history for me and giving me my appearance so it suitably matched yours."

Harry noticed with a shock that the woman's features were quite similar to his.

"I'll bet this really lends credibility to the false identities the goblins create."

"It does indeed. Unfortunately, they are not often required to create such complete identities as yours, so they don't keeps many blanks on hand."

"Right, then. I want to familiarize myself with the house, so I'll be wandering around upstairs. Holler if you need something." Harry seemed to ponder something for a moment before he smirked. "Mum."

With that, he turned and walked to the stairs, intent on exploring the second floor.


August 11, 1975

Harry had been nearly a week in the past settling himself into his new home and waiting to be contacted when a large Crowned Hawk-eagle flying into the breakfast area interrupted his breakfast. The magnificent bird of prey perched itself imperiously on the back of one of the chairs and fixed its sharp eyes on him. It grasped in one of its talons a metal tube much like the one Harry had given Markus Savage the week before.

Harry stood from his seat and moved around the table to the chair the bird had alighted on. The eagle extended its talon holding the tube to Harry as he reached for it, and as soon as Harry took hold of the cylinder, the eagle took to the air and flew out the open window. Quickly finishing his breakfast, Harry left the dishes for the house-elf and made his way to the study with tube in hand.

Harry sat in the chair behind the desk and carefully broke the magic seals on the tube, pulling out a neatly rolled parchment sealed with wax imprinted with the seal of House Dispater. He broke that seal, as well, and unrolled the missive. It was brief.

Harry Potter,

You are requested to present yourself before the Elders of House Dispater on the witching hour. Representatives from other Houses will also be in attendance. An escort shall arrive for Atrus Schwarz at your residence shortly before the appointed time.

Megaera

Elder, House Dispater

Harry smiled at the the curtness of the letter. Twenty years from now and Elder Megaera would still be the same. Then again, she was well over two thousand years old and twenty-five years would not change much. He was brought out of his musings by the portrait of his mother; she had several frames in the house, one of which was over the fireplace in the study.

"I had been wondering, dear, if you planned on just lazing about the house for the foreseeable future," she asked. Harry set the letter on the desk and ignored it as it burst into flames and burnt to ash.

"No," answered Harry, "I don't think I could take that. I'd go crazy pretty quickly."

"Oh? You sound like you have something in mind."

"The Goldsmith family was attacked last Friday. A Hogwarts professors was a friend of the family and was unlucky enough to be visiting at the time. I've scheduled an interview for the post for this Friday. I have always thought it would be entertaining to see the Marauders in school."

"You're to be a teacher, then? What class will you be teaching if you get the job?"

"Muggle Studies. It's not the most exciting of subjects, but it won't require much work on my part, and it gets me close to Dumbledore, which is really the only reason I'm applying for a position at Hogwarts."


The minute hand on the clock fell into place at the six o'clock position, producing a chime and noting the time as half an hour to midnight. Several minutes later the wards he had placed on the property informed Harry of a vampire entering the grounds. He stood from where he was seated on the sofa and went to meet his escort at the door. The vampire knocked just as Harry reached the foyer, so he immediately swung the door open.

"Greetings, Atrus Schwarz, I am Phile Rome Ladrinc. It is my duty to escort you to the council hall of House Dispater." The vampire was fairly short with long black hare and aristocratic features. He had also been the Ist to teach Harry all the warding techniques he knew.

Harry placed his right fist over his heart in the traditional vampire salute.

"Greetings, Phile Rome Ladrinc." The wizard grabbed his traveling cloak from where it hung on the wall by the door and fastened it around his shoulders. "Shall we go?"

Harry stepped from the house and closed the door behind him.

"I have a portkey, Master Schwarz, though we will have to move beyond the perimeter of your rather impressive wards." It was all Harry could do not to chuckle as they walked for the edge of the wards.

"Of course, Phile Ladrinc. And I thank you for your compliments on my wards. I spent the better part of the week erecting them. I had a most competent instructor when it came to warding techniques."

"And a vampire, as well," Phile Ladrinc observed. "There are several vampiric blood wards surrounding this property. I am unaware of any House allowing their ward masters to impart their techniques to those outside their house, let alone a mortal." He took a moment to consider something. "Then again, I am also unaware of any mortal being summoned for an audience with Elders of the Vampire Nation."

"And the reason for both are the same," Harry replied. He paused, then continued with a hint of amusement in his voice. "I am no vampire, true, but I am not quite as mortal as most mortals are."

With Harry's last comment they were past the edge of the wards and Ladrinc offered the portkey to Harry. There was a sudden hook behind both their navels and the scenery blurred sickeningly. As the two slammed into the ground and their surroundings resolved themselves, they were no longer standing under the night sky, but in a large stone chamber with vaulted ceilings.

The chamber was empty and silent as the grave. Several blood red tapestries proudly displaying the symbols of House Dispater and the Vampire Nation hung on the walls. The large set of double doors leading to the council chambers in front of Harry were dominated by a large gold relief of the mark of House Dispater. He was drawn from his observations by Ladrinc.

"I will now take my leave. You will wait here until you are called. May the night favor your endeavors." The vampire escort placed his closed fist over his heart.

"And may the Lady Nyx smile upon you," replied Harry as he returned the gesture. With that, Ladrinc exited through the doors opposite the ones leading to the council, leaving Harry alone in the dimly lit room. Harry sighed. His experience with older vampires told him he would be waiting in the antechamber until exactly midnight, which was still a good twenty-five minutes away. Knowing that his preferred method of passing the time (twirling his wand in his fingers) could be considered rude, or even hostile, he resigned himself to nearly a half-hour of mind-numbing boredom.

A clock somewhere in the complex announced midnight with a series of resounding gongs and the doors leading to the council chamber swung open silently. The room was black as pitch save for a small pathway of light originating from the center of the two doors. Harry stepped onto the path and walked along it without hesitation. When he reached the end the path behind him vanished, leaving only the small patch of light he was standing in. When Harry had stood there for nearly a minute without being addressed he decided to do something about it.

"Really, High Elder Aeacus, your flair for the dramatic may work on vampires lesser than you, but I am made of sterner stuff than they." There were a few gasps of surprise and outrage to hear anyone speak to a High Elder of the Vampire Nation in such a manner. There was also an amused chuckle which Harry knew was Aeacus' as the lights slowly came up in in the room. The lighting was enough to reveal that the council room was not configured as it normally was; the raised galleries and dais that normally occupied the room were missing, probably sunk into the stonework of the floor. In their place was a single long table at the head of the room, behind which six vampires were seated. The three in the middle Harry immediately recognized as the three Elders of House Dispater. To their left was an Elder each from northern and southern Asia, and to their right sat an Elder from North America.

"Such attitude from a young mortal," spoke Aeacus with great amusement. "You do realize that the only reason you are not dead for it is because this letter his peaked my curiosity." As he said this he waved one hand which held a piece of parchment to illustrate the point.

"Of course," Harry replied simply.

"The letter intimated that you were in possession of an object or objects which could help with any... confusion we may have, but did not specify what it might be," Megaera voiced from her place next to Aeacus.

"If I may?" inquired Harry as he made to reach into the folds of his cloak. Getting an affirmative, he removed a thin package from within. He walked to the table and sat the box down upon it directly before Aeacus. The High Elder opened the lid and his eyes widened.

"Are these...?" Aeacus asked of the blood red crystals fixed securely to the padding in the box.

"They are," Harry affirmed. "You and Elder Megaera wished to come through yourselves, but your powers made such a feat impractical, so you decided upon the next best thing. That box contains a blood stone from every Elder of the Vampire Nation of my time. Each blood stone is imprinted with the twenty-five years of memories your counterparts have experienced that you have not. Not all the Elders expressed interest in coming with me in this sense, though all provided a blood stone so the Elders of this time may make that choice.

High Elder Aeacus eyed the contents of the box for a few more moments before snapping it closed and setting it off to one side.

"Very well, then," the High Elder said. "You are clear with the parameters of your task?"

"Yes," the wizard responded. " I am to hinder Voldemort's campaign in anyway I see fit so long as I do not kill Voldemort before the thirty-first of October, 1981."

"Why is it you must wait to kill him? One would think getting rid of this Voldemort as soon as possible would be best," remarked the Elder from North America.

"The ritual used to bridge our two times is unique in that it creates a branch in the timeline at the point they are connected. Because of that it is virtually impossible to create a paradox," answered Harry. "Unfortunately, Voldemort is a temporally significant figure. Killing him before he died in the original timeline would be one of the few things that could cause a paradox."

"It would seem, Harry Potter, that you have free reign to do what you please to Voldemort's Death Eaters. We will not openly interfere with your task. Should there be any questions after I consume my blood stone, we will summon you again. May the Lady Nyx smile upon you." With Aeacus' parting sentiment, the lights in the room all went out save for a path leading back to the room's exit.

Last Updated: 16th October, 2006

Notes: Though the future portion of the story is set during he summer after Harry's sixth year, the events of Half-Blood Prince are disregarded. The "alternate" events of year six have no bearing of the story.

Familiar - A mortal who (willingly) serves vampires. They take care of the vampires' business during daylight, and allow vampires to feed from them. Most familiars are also 'vampire-hopefuls.'

Phile - The first rank in the vampire hierarchy. They are above the masses of unranked vampires, but have little power and little say in the affairs of their House.

Ist - The second rank of the vampire hierarchy. An Ist is slightly more powerful than a Phile and has a talent or is proficient in a skill that benefits their House.

Arch - The highest rank in the vampire hierarchy below the House Elders. They are responsible for the day to day affairs of their House.

Elder - The Elders' words are law for their House. The Elders are very old and very powerful. There are always at least three Elders (two lesser Elders and one High Elder), though some Houses have more.

High Elder - The oldest and most powerful vampire in a House. The High Elder can overturn any decision made by the lesser Elders, though they normally agree on most matters.

House - A House, or Clan, is a body that governs the vampires in their domain. Vampires not belonging to a House (the extreme minority) tend to be weaker and unable to tap the power their vampiric nature gives them. House vampires tend to be more civilized and very rarely kill or turn those they drink from, relying more on willing familiars for blood. There are eight Houses in the Vampire Nation. House Dispater is responsible for the vampires in Europe.
Sign up to rate and review this story