Categories > Books > Harry Potter > What Now, Severus?

Conversing Over Coffee

by Emilie_D 1 review

Molly comes to have coffee and visit, while Severus prepares to leave.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Romance - Characters: Snape - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2006-10-23 - Updated: 2006-10-23 - 3223 words - Complete

1Original
"They still haven't found another of... /them/," Molly said, unable to say the word. "Harry has requested to visit Minerva's office and speak with Dumbledore's portrait today."

"I wonder how much he'll be able to help," said Zelda thoughtfully. "I have a hard time wrapping my mind around the idea of portrait people. Dumbledore's portrait remembers everything, obviously. Of course he died so recently that the living around him are people he's had relationships with. Did Phineas die long ago?"

"He died long before Arthur and I went to Hogwarts, but I'm fuzzy about his era as Headmaster. I think you should ask him," replied Molly.

"Maybe I will," she said, smiling slightly. "Actually, I'm thinking of using him to help me work on the Muggle Studies curriculum, but not while Severus is here."

"Why not? Molly asked curiously. "It might distract you from your worries."

"Minerva's job is Hogwarts, yours is the Order, and mine is Severus." Zelda's gaze was steely. "Why else would you and Minerva be keeping a mere Muggle privy to secrets of the Order, unless you know that I'm doing what no one else can?"

Molly eyed her shrewdly. "Do you trust us?" she asked in a low voice.

Zelda paused briefly and then said slowly, "You and Minerva are honorable women, but your priority must be defeating Voldemort. My priority is Severus. His job is helping to defeat Voldemort, and while I agree with that goal, I'm on his side, first and foremost."

"Zelda, by keeping Severus strong and well, you're helping us a great deal," she said gently. "We're all working toward the same goal."

"You're right," Zelda replied. "I just hate that people are so willing to distrust him."

"He was a Death Eater," Molly reminded her. "People have long memories."

"A long time ago, and since then he's done everything but bleed himself dry for Albus Dumbledore," Zelda replied with a hint of bitterness. "Spying on Voldemort's a horrible job, and he's done it for years."

Molly leaned over and covered Zelda's hand with her own. "I know it now, and I never understood before what a toll it's taken on him."

"I don't have the history that you all have, so it's hard for me," she said grudgingly. "But I see that he's not... he can't be the way he is with me, with anyone else."

"My sons have said that he has a nasty temper," Molly offered. "Of course they are more trying than the average student."

"I've seen hints of it," Zelda replied wryly. "He hasn't lost his temper with me yet, and I'm not looking forward to that day."

"Seeing you together, I can't picture him angry with you," Molly said. "But every couple has arguments, so it'll happen."

A door opened, and Severus stepped out of the second bedroom, wearing his black Muggle clothing. "Good morning, Molly," he said politely. "I shall make coffee now, ladies, would you like some?"

"Yes, thank you," Molly replied. The men in her own family never voluntarily prepared anything, so she was startled and pleased at his offer. "I wish you'd spent more time around Headquarters, Severus," she said teasingly. "If I'd known you weren't useless in the kitchen, like every other wizard in the Order, I'd have begged you to stay with us. I felt like a bloody house elf at those Order meetings."

Severus turned around and stared at her blankly for a moment, then a hint of color touched his cheeks and his lips twitched. "If I had offered to help you cook, half the Order would have imagined I was going to poison them," he replied sardonically. "Furthermore, I might actually have poisoned Black."

"I hesitate to speak ill of the dead, but I fantasized at times about strangling Sirius Black with my bare hands," responded Molly frankly. "I told myself that allowances must be made for a man who spent thirteen years in Azkaban for a crime he didn't commit, but he was extremely arrogant, and selfish too."

Severus returned to making coffee and assembling a plate of cookies, but a slight, guilty smile crossed his face and was hastily wiped away. He had isolated himself so completely that he had not known that Sirius Black was not universally adored, as he had been during their school days. He was unwilling to push his luck by continuing the discussion, however, and with no further comment set the table for three.

At his signal, Zelda and Molly came to the table. At the first sip of coffee, Molly said, "This isn't like that stuff they sell at Muggle places like the train station. I never cared much for coffee, but this is delicious."

"He's the brilliant Potions Master, isn't he?" Zelda said, chuckling. "Of course he'd make it perfectly."

Severus wished he'd spent more of his life around intelligent women. He felt dreadfully smug, yet deeply insecure, in the face of their appreciation, and allowed his lank hair to fall forward to mask his confusion.

Zelda watched him closely, and decided to give him a moment to recover his customary composure. "Molly, when is Minerva going to meet with Michael to work on her Legilimency? I hope it goes well."

"Actually, she met with him for an hour before he went to work yesterday," Molly replied. "She said that it went very well, and she's enthusiastic about continuing."

"It surprises me a little, that they can work together, but I'm glad," Zelda said. "There's a lot I have to learn about it, but my gut feeling is that not everyone can work together effectively."

Severus was relieved at the change of topic. "It is true, there must be some affinity between the parties in order for it to be most productive. I believe that aside from Potter's distrust of me, the reason for his failure to learn Occlumency is that fundamentally we view the world around us differently."

"Do you believe that we see the world in a similar way?" Zelda asked. "That seems absurd, doesn't it?"

He smiled faintly, and replied, "Completely absurd, my girl."

Their eyes met, and he held her gaze insistently. She did nothing to hinder his Legilimency, and he saw several loving memories of their times together. He realized that they were becoming immersed in the moment, so he forced himself to look away from her.

Zelda was blushing slightly as she remembered that they had company, but a tiny smile remained as she turned back to Molly. "How's Ginny taking your new position?" she asked in a sympathetic voice.

Molly sighed. "She's flat out refusing to come to Hogwarts with us, and is behaving insufferably. Minerva has offered us marvelous rooms, completely apart from the student dormitories, and she wishes me to be at Hogwarts to begin working with her on learning the Transfiguration curriculum." She shook her head in frustration. "I think that's why I arrived here so early. I cannot stand the sulks and the screaming."

The sight of the indomitable Molly Weasley throwing up her hands in despair over her daughter's tantrums intrigued Severus. He recognized that this was the time to efface himself, and sat in his customary silence, fascinated by this glimpse into the frustration of motherhood.

A wicked smile appeared on Zelda's face, and Molly stared at her with desperate hope in her eyes.

"Is there any way to mention, quite casually, in front of Ginny, that while it's a shame that Harry won't be able to come to the Burrow, he'll be visiting Hogwarts regularly this summer?"

"But, Zelda, you told me not to get my hopes up..." Molly faltered.

"Of course not, they're children," sighed Zelda. "It's far too soon to be planning the wedding. Teenagers are passionate, though, and Ginny adores Harry, from the glimpse I saw of them together. If that's her only way to see him, she'll carry all your belongings on her back to get to Hogwarts."

Molly chuckled reluctantly. "Having one daughter is far more worrisome than all the boys combined," she said. "But I think this'll do the trick."

Severus had listened in fascination. "Now that you two wicked females have finished toying with a young girl's emotions," he began reluctantly, "may I return to the serious subject at hand?"

They turned back to him, having both forgotten that he was listening to them. Molly blushed in embarrassment, but Zelda smiled ruefully. She was aware that, even more than most men, he was unfamiliar with the ways that women dealt with each other, and he was listening closely.

"What is it, Sev?" she asked, curious as to what might make him enter this discussion.

"In approximately one month, Hogwarts will be attacked," he said bluntly. "I hope that it will be a crucial defeat for the Dark Lord, but there must be no students present."

Molly gasped, having failed to put all the pieces together. "Merlin! We must send her to a safe place well before it happens." Anxious lines appeared on her face, and she suddenly looked ten years older.

Zelda put a hand over Molly's and squeezed it. "If there's no place else, you know she can come here and I'll take care of her," she said seriously. "I can't be in the middle of a magical war, Molly. But I can keep her here until it's over, if you want me to. If she'll agree to it."

"Thank you," Molly said. "To both of you. At least I have time to talk with Arthur and decide what's best."

Zelda looked reproachfully at Severus, but when his face lost all expression, she smiled apologetically. "This is hard for me," she said ironically. "It takes a lot of living to learn how to manage the dailyness of life, and there's comfort in talking together and solving ordinary problems. There's no comfort in discussing war, no matter how necessary it is."

Severus captured her hand and held it firmly between his own, not caring that Molly was watching. "We must fight this battle so that life can be ordinary again, as you well know." He kissed her hand and released it.

"I know," she admitted. "But you should discuss it with Michael. One similarity I see between you is that you both like the game. I think you like to face danger and match yourself against your enemies, Sev, and Michael does too. But I don't, not the least bit."

He stared at them, wishing to refute Zelda's words, but upon reflection, he could not. He looked guiltily at her, feeling that if he weren't carrying on with this ambition to prove himself, perhaps she would not be so sad.

"Zelda," Molly interjected, "This war isn't Severus's fault, it's... Voldemort's."

"I didn't mean it like that, Molly," she said. "But I'm not a good person to discuss tactics with, because I'm too prone to cry if I consider it logically. If I have to face it, I'll do my best, but if I think too much about it I'll be paralyzed." Her eyes returned to Severus and she finished painfully, "I've never been a great chess player, and imagining that the pawns are real people I care about makes me feel sick."

Zelda rose and brought her empty dishes to the sink, but Severus walked behind her and put his arms around her. He felt her nervous tension, but she relaxed against him and pressed her cheek against his shoulder.

"I must go soon. Please leave the dishes for later," he murmured. He turned and said, "Molly, will you excuse us for a short time?"

Molly nodded, realizing that Severus didn't want to leave Zelda immediately after such a sad conversation. "I'll clean up after our coffee," she said, forcing a cheerful note into her voice. "Magically, if you don't mind, Zelda."

Zelda hooted weakly. "Mind? If I could do magic like you can, I'd never let a dish touch my hand again!"

Severus opened the door for Zelda, and ushered her outside. He sat in a chair under the trees and took her into his lap, holding her close. "We have so little time," he whispered, and his black eyes challenged her. "Tell me that you love me."

"I love you, Severus," she replied obediently, tangling her fingers in his black hair and kissing his hooked nose. She saw the surge of emotion in his eyes at her loving gesture, and hugged his neck tightly, pressing her cheek against his.

"I hope to return soon," he murmured softly into her ear. "Will you be all right while I am away?"

"I'll miss you, but I'll be fine. I see that Molly has no intention of leaving me alone before you leave," she said. "Don't forget to take care of yourself while you're carrying the weight of the world."

Zelda sighed and buried her face against his neck, and they stayed there, even as Molly came out and walked toward them. As she drew near, Zelda slid from Severus's lap to sit next to him, but her leg stayed firmly pressed against his.

Molly sat in the other chair, not bothering to comment on their closeness. "Minerva wishes to know, before you go, if there's anything else we should know about the attack on Hogwarts," she said firmly. "She knows perfectly well that there must be more than Polyjuiced Death Eaters involved."

Severus grimaced. "I did not wish to overwhelm you all at once. The Polyjuice was my contribution, but besides my moronic crew of Death Eaters, I have been offered the assistance of giants and Inferi."

Molly's face lost all color, and she looked ill. "Oh, Severus..." she said weakly, "Is this hopeless? How are we supposed to fight them?"

"Inferi?" Zelda asked.

"Inferi are corpses animated by a Dark wizard to do his bidding," Severus explained, reaching for her hand and holding it. "They are indeed horrifying, but there are ways to fight them. Minerva should consult with Dumbledore's portrait, Molly. About the giants, she should consult with Hagrid, of course."

Molly gathered her courage and replied more strongly, "Do you know how many?"

"Not yet, but when I know more I hope to assist you in planning ways to oppose them," he replied. "While the Dark Lord tells me that his Inferi will be under my control, I do not believe that they will cease to obey him. But there is time, and I shall attempt to prepare you before the attack occurs."

Zelda glanced at her watch, which she was wearing to keep track of the time before he left, and said levelly, "You'll be leaving soon, won't you?"

He looked approvingly at her resolute calm. "Yes, but first, I must go in and speak with Phineas Nigellus. I shall return after that," he said reassuringly. At her nod, he left them and entered the cabin, precisely at the stroke of noon.

"Well, Snape," the portrait wizard said sneeringly, "Obviously you were too busy fornicating last night to speak to me. Have you come up for air?"

"Phineas," Snape said coldly, "Zelda is not here, so you may refrain from your pointless and offensive comments. Now, please tell Minerva that the Dark Lord plans to use Inferi and giants in attacking Hogwarts."

"Very well," Phineas Nigellus replied smartly. "Is there anything else?"

"If all goes well, I will be back here by the morning. Make sure all is well here tonight, and if I am not back tomorrow, notify Minerva," he said. There was a short silence while Phineas stood in the frame, studying him intently, and he coolly asked, "Is there something else that you require from me?"

Phineas stared piercingly at him. "This is not going according to Dumbledore's plan, Snape," he said. "You are a unique wizard, a half-blood Head of Slytherin House. I admit that originally I had doubts of your capability, but you have served our House well."

"Thank you," Severus replied softly, wondering what on earth he was getting at. One black eyebrow rose curiously as he stared at his deceased predecessor.

"We, all the late Headmasters, hope that you will protect our school and return to Hogwarts eventually," Phineas muttered. "It will be a shame if you manage to complete your task and then abscond to the Muggle world with that woman. A complete waste of talent."

Severus stared at the sleek pure-blood. "How very un-Slytherin of you to say such a thing, Headmaster," he murmured disbelievingly.

"In my lifetime I would never have held such an opinion," Phineas conceded, "yet in the decades since my demise, I have come to see that blood means nothing without talent and the will to use it wisely. Seeing where my descendants have been led through blood-arrogance, I wish that long ago our society had been ordered differently. Waste of magical ability, in whatever form, is unacceptable."

Severus nodded slightly in agreement and waited to see if he had finished.

"Snape, do not let that woman seduce you from your rightful place!" Phineas said forcefully. "This Muggle world is not yours and you have no obligation to her."

"Obligation?" Severus replied sardonically. "I am indeed obligated to her for saving my life and helping me to return to Hogwarts. Beyond that, I choose to have her. I have her promise to marry me if I should survive what is to come."

"Really?" Phineas Nigellus, looking as though he had just swallowed something most unpleasant. "I suppose that there is no more to be said."

"I will complete my task and protect Hogwarts to the best of my ability," Severus said coolly. "But I ask that you all protect Zelda if it is in your power to do so. She has done more for us than most wizards, and I will be better able to concentrate on my work if I know that she is as safe as possible."

Phineas Nigellus nodded reluctantly and without another word slipped out of the frame, leaving Severus to contemplate what he had said.

When Severus went out to rejoin Zelda and Molly, he found them still sitting in the peaceful shade. Zelda seemed calm and in control of her emotions, although he knew she hated his departure as much as he did. He sat next to her and put his arm around her shoulders. When she sighed and leaned against him, a profound sense of well-being flooded his body.

"Phineas will report immediately to Minerva," he reported, "and I must go now. Walk with me, Zel."

"Take care, Severus," Molly said, worry etched on her face. She remained seated and smiled as he nodded a brief farewell before turning his attention back to Zelda.

They walked to the place, not far from the cabin, that had become their de facto Apparation site, and he drew her close for a last embrace.

"My girl," he whispered into her blond curls, "I love you and hope I shall see you soon."

She pulled back far enough to press her soft lips to his in a lingering kiss. "I love you, Sev," she replied softly. She stroked the scar on his cheek tenderly and then reluctantly pulled back. She didn't allow her tears to fall until after he had Apparated away, and then she went back to Molly.
Sign up to rate and review this story