Categories > Anime/Manga > Rurouni Kenshin > Rurouni Kenshin and the Lord of the Rings

Ch. 2: A snake in Man's clothing

by John_the_visionary 0 reviews

Radagast and the Oniwaban group are joined by Seijuro Hiko, Sojiro Seta, and Chou the sword-hunter, who tells them of a certain police officer who hates sunlight, in which Radagast believes that th...

Category: Rurouni Kenshin - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Crossover, Drama, Fantasy - Characters: Aoshi, Hiko, Katsu, Kenshin, Megumi, Misao, Saitou, Sanosuke, Soujiro, Yahiko - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2006-10-24 - Updated: 2006-10-24 - 4789 words

0Unrated


A/n: Hello everyone, three weeks after I started publishing Section 3 now, adding two chapters. However, I would like to thank everyone who reviewed.


MSola: Everyone thought that Saruman got what he deserved when they saw the scene. I like your reviews, so keep 'em coming, eh?


So, without further ado, here are the next chapters. Please read and review.










Chapter 2: A snake in Man's clothing, discovery of a spy in Kyoto







The death of Saruman was too terrible to behold. Immortal as he was, he had the form of an old man, and even old men deserved better than to be pierced upon one of his contraptions, and then buried underwater. Though sickening as the fallen wizard's death was, many thought that it was just, all the same.

Gandalf did not wish for Saruman to die, though he was angered with him, as was Théoden, who now will have his peace with Saruman, as well as Orthanc. Kenshin was the most revolted by Saruman's demise, as he never thought that any kind of death was just.



"It is a sad fate, that things turned out this way for Saruman," Kenshin began, lamenting, "...he would've had a chance to turn back from his follies and may have been of service, but chose to gnaw away at his old plots, that he did.

"...For so long, he's plotted to conquer Middle-Earth, setting himself as a friend to all who live in this world, willfully breaking their trust and respect they had for him, turning his neighbors into his enemies. Now... his land is destroyed, along with all his armies. And it's very ironic that he should receive his comeuppance... from his unappreciated manservant, that it is."



Saito humphed to himself, a little disgusted to hear Kenshin's usual speeches of sympathy for any enemy he fought before.



"The filth of /Saruman/, is washing away," Treebeard rumbled disgustedly, yet assuredly, thankful to be rid of Saruman and his devices once and for all, "...treees... will come back to live here. Young trees... wild trees."

"And with your help, Sir Treebeard, as the new lord and master of Isengard," responded Kenshin, "this land will once again be green and beautiful, that it will."

"Bru-ra-hroom! Indeed it shall, young master," Treebeard told Kenshin confidently...



As Pippin looked down to his side... and saw an orange glow, slowly stirring in the water. The Hobbit, out of curiosity, went to investigate the orange glow as he dismounted off the horse and went over to the glowing object.



"Pippin!" called Aragorn.

Misao then dismounted her horse, riding with Aoshi as she called to Pippin, "what are you doing, Pippin?"



Ignoring Misao, Pippin then waded into the water... and picked up the glowing object, which was nothing more than a shiny, glossed black stone. It was Saruman's palantir that had fallen into the water from his lifeless body, which none of the riders had noticed.

Misao looked at it with widened eyes along with Pippin. Kenshin, Sanosuke and the others were stunned by the discovery made by the Hobbit. Gandalf quickly heeled Shadowfax over to Pippin, fearing the worst from the inquisitive Hobbit.



"Bless my bark!" exclaimed Treebeard, eyeing widely at the palantir.

"What is that?" wondered Misao in a small voice.

"Something you shouldn't be looking at, my dear!" Gandalf called warningly to Misao, as she and Pippin snapped out of their trance, turning to the wizard in guilty apprehension.

"Peregrin Took... I'll take that, my lad," Gandalf added calmly to Pippin, holding his hand out for the palantir, "...quickly now!"



Pippin, after a few moments... reluctantly handed the palantir to Gandalf. Gandalf then quickly covered the orb within his white robe, keeping it safe. Pippin lowered his eyes as Gandalf's eyes maintained their warning gaze at the Hobbit to keep away from the orb.



Kenshin went up to Gandalf on his horse as he asked, "what was that stone, Sir Gandalf?"

"Saruman's means of communication to Sauron," Gandalf answered silently to Kenshin, "he'll no longer be needing it now."



Gandalf then turned to leave, with Pippin looking on at Gandalf with an unsettling expression and his fascination of the globe growing further within him. Misao shared the same fascination as Pippin, but had instincts to stay away from the stone, as Gandalf had wanted them both to do.



"Misao," Aoshi called out to Misao, who was still a little dazed from seeing the palantir, "...we must leave now."

Misao paused a moment before replying, in a almost small voice, "...okay, Lord Aoshi."

She and Pippin then went back to their riding partners to ride back to Edoras.











Meiji-Era Japan was supposedly a time of peace for that country. Its stability was threatened once before... by a man called Makoto Shishio. But even his planned takeover of Japan was little... compared to the threat of the Dark Lord Sauron who now threatens to take Japan, as well as the rest of the world. Kyoto was in dire straits, suffering attacks from Sauron's minions. A dark shadow loomed over the city for many months hence. With the Police uncertain about what to do, the military was forced to take part. But even with the military joined in... casualties were running high.

The Oniwaban Group stationed at the Aoiya, along with an old survivor of the Sekihoutai, Katsuhiro 'Tsunan' Tsukioka were the only defenders that had been under the aid of the wizard Radagast the Brown from Middle-Earth. Just recently, Kenshin's master, Seijuro Hiko, and two former members of the Juppongatana, Sojiro Seta, and Chou the Sword Hunter, joined alongside the wizard and the Oniwaban Group. Radagast kindly explained to them the whole story of Sauron's threat to their world, Kenshin's journey to Middle-Earth, as well as Frodo's task to destroy the One Ring.



"A ring, huh?" queried Hiko, "it sounds like something out of a ghost story, than a threat."

"But Master Hiko," said Ochika, "its true. Himura and Lord Aoshi went to this world of Middle-Earth, where the ring was made."

"I didn't say I didn't believe you," Hiko said, stating the obvious, "I'm just saying that it sounds unreal... even for the people here in Kyoto."

"Yes, that's true," said Radagast, "but it won't be so unreal if Sauron becomes all powerful. For every hour, Sauron's power grows exponentially, as well as the darkness that surrounds Kyoto. If Sauron regains the ring, his victory will be so complete, that none can foresee the end of it while this world lasts."

"And," said Hiko, "how do we know that this Dark Lord called Sauron doesn't have his ring already?"

"I am in constant contact with one of my wizard brethren, Gandalf," said Radagast, "he shall inform us of any news concerning Frodo's quest."

"So what do we do in the meantime," interjected Chou, "just sit on our butts and do nothing?"

"There may not be any time for that, Chou," said Okina, "as Radagast said, Sauron gets stronger each moment, and his minions are on the move. They might strike Kyoto at any time."

"Correct, Okina," Radagast agreed, "we must be constantly on guard against Sauron's forces. And there are many of them indeed... more than enough to take all Middle-Earth, and a great legion could very well take this city easily. We wouldn't last for one moment... unless we had more help."

"There may be a possibility," said Katsu, "I've sent a personal message to an old war veteran from another country, who became a Samurai while trying to train the Japanese army here, someone who's as war-weary as the Battousai. I secretly met up with him when all of this started months ago. He already knows about what's happening here, even as Hiko said, it sounds unbelievable. I asked that he band all of the former Samurai together."

"What did he say?" asked Radagast.

"He said he would do what he could," Katsu responded, "and I told him to send a message here, if there's any progress."

"We all better hope that there is," said Radagast, "as I told Kenshin, we shall all have to be united against Sauron in order to win. Sauron is not so powerful that he fears no one. He fears all the free peoples uniting to fight against him."

"So," interjected Chou, "I'm guessing that you want to go to the police station to ask for their help. Even though... there's some new guy that's kinda acting all strange-like."

"Who?" asked Radagast, with great curiosity.

"The guy's name's Kanama," answered Chou, nonchalantly, "he's been aide to the Chief for like 7 months. He even was in on a lot of the meetings on how to deal with these little trolls."

"They're called Orcs, Chou," Omasu corrected Chou.

"Whatever," Chou went on, "anyway, I got a report from him that these creeps were at the river near Mt. Arashi. I was out there with some of my police buddies, trying to investigate a disturbance and we ended up running into a couple of these creepy black riders, hooded from head to toe. Also, they spoke like... like they were in a daze or something. And they scream so loud that your ears hurt."

"Black riders?" gasped Radagast.

"What is it, Radagast?" asked Omasu.

Radagast paused for a moment and then asked Chou, "what did they say?"

"...I don't know," replied Chou, "they were being all vague and all, saying that we were to serve their master. Next thing you know, they stabbed my buddies and carried them away. That's when young Sojiro and Master Hiko showed up. And the funny thing about the knives they carried... they all dissolved into dust the moment we picked them up."

"Good heavens," Radagast gasped again.

"What is it?" Hiko asked, "do you know these characters?"

"I know of them, Master Hiko," answered Radagast, "do you remember the story of the nine rings of power given to Men? Well, Sauron tainted those rings with his own powers. The men who had those rings were old, great kings of Numenor. Sauron tempted the kings with those rings. And one by one... the kings fell into darkness... enslaved by Sauron's will. They were no longer men... but the nine servants of Sauron, the Nazgûl... or Ringwraiths in the common tongue...

"These creatures are neither living nor dead. They cannot be easily killed, by anyone. Chou... I'm very surprised that you survived against them."

"Oh," sighed Chou, feeling a little nauseated, "this is too much for me... scumbags that can't be killed but can virtually live forever. This is starting to be a ghost story."



Sojiro merely smiled at Chou's nervous behavior.



"Well, if we're finished being nervous, perhaps you can tell us more about this Kanama," insisted Radagast.

"For one thing, I don't like him very much," responded Chou as he went on further, "he's always so smooth when he's with the chief. But when we talk, he kinda starts talking strange about the end of men or something. And each time I talk bad about it, he's like snarling at me, like I'm in the way. Lastly... it looks like he's not very fond of sunlight, says its too bright for him or something. I'd say there's more to him than meets the eye."

"...I smell a witless worm about in this world," huffed Radagast to himself, then turned to Chou, "...Chou, I think I may know why he's so different. Can you take me to this man?"

"I don't know," said Chou, "the Secretary of the Army, Yamagata, is here, as well as the commissioner, Kawaji. And they're meeting with the chief right now, last I heard. I think the military's trying to take over, or something."

"Good, excellent timing," Radagast twinkled, "we've also heard about your world's army being brought in to deal with the situation. And that's precisely what we'll need in this battle, which will escalate in due time."

"Well, if you guys knew of this, why didn't you go to the police yourselves?" asked Chou.

"Because Radagast thought that it too risky to trust anyone so quickly," answered Ochika, "we had to bring one of the police into our confidence. And regardless of what we think of you, Chou, you seem to be the only one we can trust at the moment."

"Indeed," concurred Radagast, "Sauron has many spies in his service besides any man, and Gandalf strongly cautioned me to be careful of who I trust in this fight. But come Chou, guide me to your, 'department'. I also wish to speak to the head of the army. Okina, you and Omasu come with me. I shall need you both to explain the situation."

"Can't you do that yourself?" asked Omasu.

"Indeed I could young lady," replied Radagast, "but if I had no witnesses, nobody would believe me now, would they? Besides you and Okina are the only ones who can verify that I am an old acquaintance of Kenshin's. Hurry! There isn't a moment to lose!"











Meanwhile at the Kyoto Police Department... an officer strolled down the corridors towards an office. As he walked closer... he suddenly began to hear a strange, ominous muttering coming from there...



The officer slowly went up to the door, with his ear against it, listening to the eerie speech that had his attention. There was something about the muttering that he did not like. It sounded... horrifying... and evil, like he was hearing the devil himself....





"What are you doing?" a voice startled the officer from behind...

The officer turned around to the other but higher ranking officer that surprised him and said, "oh, I thought I heard something."

"You heard something huh?" the high-ranking officer asked.

The lower-ranking officer nodded.

"Tell me, is it your job to peep around people's offices?"

"No, sir!" replied the low-rank officer, "I was ordered to get Kanama by the chief."

"Well then, knock on his door, and stop peeping," said the high-rank officer.


The low-rank officer went to knock on the door... but the door was opened, surprising both officers. Kanama stood there, with an unsettling expression, in which the low rank officer noticed, puzzling him greatly.



"Is there any trouble here?" asked Kanama.

"Uh, no, sir!" responded the low-rank officer, "I'm here to inform you that the chief wants to see you, and he is now meeting with Commissioner Kawaji and Lord Yamagata."

"Thank you very much, carry on," said Kanama as he began to go to the chief's office.

"Sir," interjected the high-rank officer, making Kanama stop where he was, "you look troubled somehow. Is there anything wrong?"

Kanama shrugged himself, then regained his composure, replying, "...I'm just a little fatigued, officer... aren't we all?"

"Of course," nodded the high-rank officer.



Kanama then turned away from the two officers to see the chief. However, the low-rank officer wasn't completely satisfied, upon first hearing the ominous muttering from Kanama's office, then seeing him so... restless about something. This alone, made him a little leery of Kanama.









Radagast, Chou, Omasu, and Okina had arrived at the police station. But they had a little trouble of getting to see the chief, along with Yamagata and Kawaji.



"I'm sorry sir," said the receptionist, "the chief is in conference now, speaking with Lord Yamagata and the commissioner at this very moment."

"But that's who this old man is here to see," said Chou, "he wants to speak to all of them."

"Indeed I do, my lad," said Radagast, "it is of great importance that I must have an audience with your superiors. I have valuable information concerning this case."

"You'll just have to wait, sir," the receptionist said intensely, "if you have any complaints, I can bring over Officer Kanama. I suggest you speak with him."

"My errand is not with Kanama," Radagast fired back, "I shall deal with him when I deem proper. My current errand it is with your chief for the moment. We may not have time for you to be... blundering away in procedure! You are all dealing with forces that you cannot possibly comprehend. I must see your superiors at once."

"Sir--"

"This is all idle talk," Radagast argued, loudly, "prudence is one thing, but discourtesy is another, for I am old, more older than you can possibly imagine, and I have seen more things that you can't possibly imagine. Aren't you taught to show respect to your elders?"

"Yeah," interjected Okina, "and as an old man myself, I am equally insulted. Someone comes in and asks to speak to the chief, and all you can do is say, 'the chief is too busy!'"

"The chief can't be too busy," Omasu implored, with a soft voice, "just one visitor can't be too much trouble."

"Yes," Radagast agreed, with an expression that could bend ordinary steel and iron, "...one visitor is indeed not too much to ask. Now, if you please, I wish to speak to your superiors!"



The receptionist became windblown by Radagast's steely-eyed speech, as he cringed before Radagast, making himself a complete fool.



"...Oh, alright," the receptionist relented, "I'll guide you to the chief, but you'd better not make me lose my job over this."



Radagast winked at his three companions and went followed the receptionist. The receptionist took Radagast and the others to the chief's office where he was in conference with Yamagata and Kawaji. However, they didn't expect that Kanama to be with them also.



"Sir," the receptionist saluted.

"Excuse me," said Kawaji, "who said you could come in and interrupt us?"

"My apologies, Commissioner. Some old man said he wanted to see you about something."

"Oh tell him to wait outside," Kawaji ordered.

"But sir," said the receptionist, "he said that concerned this case about the attacks in Kyoto."

"Kawaji," interjected Yamagata, "if this mysterious old man can tell us something about what's going on, we should hear him out."

"Mmmm... very well," Kawaji relented, "okay, let him in, but he's got four minutes."



The receptionist showed Radagast, Chou, Okina, and Omasu in the room. Kanama looked and shuddered fearfully at Radagast's appearance.



The wizard then laid down his staff as he said, "greetings, men of Japan. This weary traveler knows of great, dark times, for there is a great darkness ahead, that will engulf us all... if we do not unite to fight against it."

"Why should we listen to him?" Kanama interjected, nervously, "he's nothing but a conjurer who speaks in riddles."

"Stand down Kanama," Yamagata ordered Kanama, which made Radagast raise an eyebrow in surprise.

"Whatever it is you have to say, make it quick! You have four minutes," stated Kawaji.

"I personally hope to have more of your time," said Radagast, "we need not argue here, or the laughter of the darkness will be our only reward.

"...Inspector Kanama, is it?" Radagast inquired as he turned to Kanama, "I had hoped to meet you later, but I guess this is a good time as any. I would just like to say to, sir, that you are held wise perhaps. Ill news is an ill guest, some people say. In two ways, a man may come with evil tidings... he may be a worker of evil, or be such as leaves well alone, and comes only to bring aid in times of great need."

"And there is also a third kind," replied Kanama, "pickers of bones, meddlers in other's affairs and sorrows, people such as yourself, old man."

"Courtesy is not so high here," Radagast said glancing at Yamagata and Kawaji.

"What courtesy do we owe you?" Kanama asked incredulously, "you speak of having information, but where is it? What have you brought before us, except ramblings and riddles? If you spoke more clearly... that I would call information."

"The wise only speak of what they know," Radagast raised his voice intensely, "I thank you well for your words, but I have not come to bandy idle chatter with the likes of you. Stand aside and be silent! We shall hear your poisoned mouth no more!"



Kanama tensed even more before Radagast, as the wizard raised his staff against him. The angelic-faced inspector stepped back, almost against the wall.



"Please explain yourself," demanded Yamagata.

"It is not I who needs to explain my behavior," replied Radagast to Yamagata, "however, I will explain that your decreasing forces will not be enough to hold back the assault that will befall your world, and the one who has made all this possible..."

Radagast then turned back to Kanama, fiercely adding, "...was this snake that now stands within your halls!"

"He's talking nonsense!" exclaimed the nervous Kanama and ordered, "get him out of here!"



Radagast again raised his staff against Kanama... and threw him against the wall. Everyone gasped in shock to see Radagast assaulting Kanama...



Radagast slowly edged closer toward as he said, "there is also another saying, looks are not what they appeared to be. I learned that lesson well with Saruman, a liar with honey upon his forked tongue, the same as yours. Only you're no ordinary liar, are you Kanama? Particularly one... who hates the light of the sun..."



Kanama's appearance shifted from a curtly gentleman... to that of a deformed, hideous, demonic-like creature. Everyone in the room gasped at the sight of the terrifying wretch. Omasu nearly screamed.



"Good heavens!" the chief exclaimed.

"My god," gasped Yamagata.

"What in the world?" asked a bewildered Kawaji, "what have you done to him, old man?"

"I have torn away his disguise, my good man," answered Radagast, "you now see Kanama in his true form... an Orc, who has used dark powers in order to shield himself. The enemy has been very clever to pull the wool over your eyes, gentlemen."



The Orc then drew a blade and grabbed Omasu's neck.



"Omasu!" cried Okina.

"Don't move, you maggots!" warned the Orc, "if any of you follow, I'll slit this pretty girl's throat like a dead fish!"

"Unhand her this instant, vermin of darkness!" Radagast demanded.

"You think you've won, old man?" spat the Orc, "this is only the beginning, scum. The Great Eye is upon this world. He will come with all his forces and destroy you all!"

Omasu suddenly hit the Orc in the stomach and swiftly knocked him away with her fists. The Orc, downed and defeated, ran out the door, with the others close behind him. Radagast and the others chased the Orc to his office. The Orc grabbed a chair and used it to jam the doorknob.

As the others reached the Orc's office, Radagast tried to turn the knob, but he couldn't get the door opened. Okina then used his strength to knock down the door. They entered the office, where the Orc had his hand over a glowing-red object...





Ash nazg gimbatul... ash nazg thrakatulûk ...






Radagast gasped as he heard the Black speech of Mordor coming from the globe. The Orc was communicating to Sauron. Radagast once again threw the Orc against the wall with his staff, ran towards the object... and covered it with his brown cloak. The Orc ran towards Radagast, with blade drawn...

BLAM! BLAM!

Then two police officers came in and shot the creature with their guns, which made Radagast quivered at the sound of the blasts, seeing the Orc groaning and croaking... until he died.



"Is that thing dead?" asked Kawaji.

The officers with the rifles went towards the Orc and poked him with the butts of their guns. There was no movement from the Orc, to which the officers nodded to Kawaji.

"Good work, men," Kawaji congratulated.

"No, its not good... not good work at all," huffed Radagast indignantly, "we could've got that foul beast to talk about the enemy's plans!"

"Sir, the thing was going to kill you," said the Officer, "we had no other choice."

"There's always a choice, my lad!" Radagast shot back fiercely, then inquired, "what are those contraptions, anyhow? I can barely stand the sound of that!"

"Those are rifles," answered Kawaji, "have you been somewhere else, or something?"

"Indeed I have young man," Radagast said as he carried the object in his cloak, "I've been to many places. I come from the same place as that foul creature you struck down with your weapons."

"And where is precisely is that?" Kawaji asked in disbelief.

"In Middle-Earth," answered Radagast, ignoring Kawaji's rhetoric manner, "unfortunately, it is not of this world, but of another. And from that world, the darkness spreads as much as it does here."

"Be reasonable, old man," retorted Kawaji, skeptically, "nothing can just come from another world. Any fool knows there are no other worlds."

"Close-minded to the last I see," returned Radagast, "would it please you to know that the Battousai is now in Middle-Earth, trying to save this world from the darkness that is Sauron?"



Yamagata gasped at Radagast's statement that he knows Kenshin.



"Are you saying," he inquired, "that you know our Himura."

"Indeed," replied Radagast as he gestured over to Chou, Okina, and Omasu, "those three can tell you better than I can."

"Yes sir," said Omasu, "Mr. Radagast brought us with him so that you would be more considerate to accept our help."

Yamagata and Kawaji looked on to them, still uncertain what to make of Radagast's story.

"Even if we believed you," said Yamagata, "who is this 'Sauron'?"

"He is pure evil," answered Radagast, plainly, "perhaps more cruel and malicious than the 300 year rule of the Tokugawa Shogunate that you fought against."

"If you are from another world," interjected Kawaji, inquiring, "how do you know of the Revolution?"

"Indeed I have much to explain, but it will take too much time," reasoned Radagast, "now, if we are going to work together, I suggest that you all follow my instructions if we are to defeat this evil."

"Wait a minute," objected Kawaji, "who are you to just come in here and take charge?"

"Kawaji has a point," agreed Yamagata, saying to Radagast, "...Radagast, was it? As it is, you're still an outsider. How can we be sure we can trust you?"

"I don't," replied Radagast, resolutely, "all I expect from all of you is for you to make up your own silly minds about this affair. You may believe me or not. But you must believe me when I say that you must band together against the darkness of Sauron, for it will be our key to victory."

"Mr. Yamagata?" Kawaji said to Yamagata, still a little doubtful of Radagast.

"...This old man claims that he knows Himura, Kawaji," said Yamagata, "maybe it's best to go along with him, for now."

"Very well, but we do expect to be informed of your progress," Kawaji told the wizard.

"Thank you," said Radagast in great gratitude, "now I shall take my leave of you."

"Wait a minute," Kawaji stopped Radagast, gesturing to his cloak, "what's that in your hands?"

"...A dark, shiny black stone, which the Orc used to speak to Sauron," Radagast told him, "I found it on the Orc's desk."

"Then we'll have to confiscate it," demanded Kawaji, "that's police property now."

"It is no one's property!" Radagast contested, sharply, "it's too dangerous, even for you. For this is the stuff of wizards. It is safer in my hands, than in anyone else's, at present."

"But you have no right to--"

"Kawaji," said Yamagata, reassuringly, "...if he says he will look after it, he will."

"...Ehh... very well," relented Kawaji, reluctantly, "we'll let you go with it. And to insure your cooperation, I want one of our officers to be with you."

"There are times when you all strongly remind me of why I forsook men," mentioned Radagast, to which Kawaji ignored, "I shall accept your condition, but I request that I choose the officer."

"As you wish," said Kawaji.

Radagast turned to Chou as he said, "...I choose Chou to be the officer."

"Done," Kawaji said to Chou, "Chou, I expect you to watch him closely, is that understood?"

"Clear as crystal," Chou replied calmly.

"Good--" Radagast began to say... before he received a thought communication in his head...





Radagast...


'...Gandalf/,' Radagast replied with his thoughts, '/what news?'





Everyone looked perplexed at the nearly dazed wizard.

"Excuse me?" wondered Yamagata, "is something wrong?"

"Radagast," Omasu spoke, "are you okay?"

Radagast turned to the others and said, "we must return to the Aoiya at once. Some new development has arisen."











Disclaimer: I do not own Rurouni Kenshin or Lord of the Rings. RK is the property of Nobuhiro Watsuki and Lord of the Rings is the property of Professor J. R. R. Tolkien.

A/n: Well, what did you think, huh? I hope you all liked it. Please read and review.
Sign up to rate and review this story