Categories > Original > Fantasy > Flight for Freedom

Flight for Freedom

by free_fall 1 review

The end of an experiment. One-shot on a story idea of mine.

Category: Fantasy - Rating: G - Genres: Action/Adventure, Fantasy, Sci-fi - Published: 2006-10-28 - Updated: 2006-10-28 - 420 words - Complete

0Unrated
They were calling for me. Screaming, in fact. Screaming at me to get down, to stop worrying them, to go back into safety.
What idiots.
Being up here was the most safe, the most natural thing I had done in what felt like my entire life. Never had I felt so much at ease - at home.
And I was not going back.
I looked down at the figures jumping about in frustration down on the ground so far below me. Saw the armed men and women racing up the sides of the building by the fire stairs ad taking positions that would enable them to get a clear shot at me. To subdue me. To recapture, imprison once more, to do unspeakable things to me. I snarled. No one would stake claim on me - not again. I had fought my way to freedom and was not going to give it up, not now, or ever.
Sound behind me. One of the guards sent to take me back, aiming their gun at me. No doubt it was filled with sedative darts.
I grinned, and jumped at him, knocking the gun out of his hands with one blow to the shoulder that numbed his entire arm. There was no hope for him now - I knocked him out cold with a punch to the face.
Hoped it hurt him when he woke up later on in the infirmary.
The other guards had noticed. I could hear yelling - orders to shoot, but not to 'damage the goods any more than necessary'.
No.
I stepped back, over the downed guard; almost to the centre of the roof. Checked for the response. Good. The guards thought I was surrendering.
Ignorant fools.
In the time it took to blink, I tensed, and started running for the edge. Distantly, some part of me noted the cries of dismay coming from the scientists on the ground. Ignored it. Reached the edge of the roof, and kept going.
Leapt off solidity and into the skies. And kept going. I wasn't falling. Wasn't going to fall, ever. Instead, I climbed up. Up and up into something which I had never experienced before.
Dreamed, wanted, imagined, longed for... all of these, yes, but never actually experienced until now. And now that I had tasted it, I wanted it to be mine, forever.
I laughed in delight. Sheer joy sprang through me, leaving my almost dizzy. I kept going, until those had captured me could no longer see me, nor I them.
Freedom.
Sign up to rate and review this story