Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Heart of the Warrior Book I: The Origins of the Warrior

Chapter 17: Setting the Stage

by madnesspersonified 0 reviews

Ninja Turtles 2003/Harry Potter AU Crossover. Extensive summary in profile.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Crossover - Characters: Dumbledore,Harry,Hermione,Quirinus Quirrell,Snape,Voldemort - Warnings: [!!] [V] [?] - Published: 2006-11-02 - Updated: 2008-04-08 - 4132 words

3Original
Chapter 17: Setting the Stage:

Voldemort had to laugh at the gullibility of certain individuals in the Wizarding World. Dumbledore was so pitifully predictable. Quirrell would take the Philosopher's Stone tonight as Dumbledore left for a meeting with Minister of Magic. Voldemort believed he would not be far off the assumption the Minister would have some problem which he needed Dumbledore for advice.

Tonight would be Voldemort's finest hour of triumph and his reign of power would be reinstalled after the past ten years of dormancy.

Harry clutched his hand to his forehead, right over the scar upon it. The accursed relic of the attack on that fateful Halloween night had been stinging for the past several weeks. In fact, the scar had been stinging shortly after Harry returned to Hogwarts.

"One more exam to go," said Theodore sitting down beside Harry. "We can finally be free, until the moment we receive our results that is."

"It won't be that bad," said Daphne reassuringly. "After all, we had Hermione and Harry to help us revise, and they are the two brightest students in our entire year."

"Yeah, you’ve got a point there," said Theodore. "Still, I will be glad when it is all over."

Harry just nodded his head, agreeing with his friend. The exams would be over soon but Harry still had to deal with the torture sessions from Flint, which was carefully disguised as Quidditch Practice. The Quidditch Cup Match between Hufflepuff and Slytherin was in two days and Flint wanted to ensure Slytherin came up on top for the eighth straight year.

Malfoy walked up to the table, shooting Harry a glare, which Harry chose to ignore. Recently, Malfoy had been muttering dark words under his breath about how he suspected Harry was responsible for his recent misfortunes and Harry had been saddened he missed out on most of the torture of Malfoy. Indeed, Malfoy the Muggle schoolgirl was still talked about with laughter from most of the school. Then there was the little incident where hair removal potion had some how been slipped into Draco's hair gel which caused Malfoy to become bald for a few weeks until a hair restoration draught could be prepared by Snape. Harry had a shrewd suspicion Snape took his sweet time making the potion but he really did not want to make unfounded accusations.

Still, Harry did not dwell on Malfoy's humiliation for much longer as scar kept stinging on his forehead. Harry's quiet nature did not go unnoticed by his two Slytherin friends who looked over at Harry curiously.

"Harry, you look like you are expecting someone to die at any moment," said Theodore. "The exams are not that bad and we all know you are going to get high marks."

"It's just this bloody scar," said Harry gritting his teeth. "It won't stop stinging. I’m wondering if it is an omen of impending doom."

"Harry, everything’s a feeling of impending doom to you," commented Daphne. "It seems to me you are always a pessimistic and that’s not exactly a healthy thing for your sanity."

"I prefer the term realist to be quite honest," replied Harry. "The fact Voldemort is after the Philosopher's Stone and could grab it at any minute kind of has me a bit on edge at the moment."

"That is if he has not found some way to snatch the Stone already," said Theodore grimly.

"Oh, I'll know if he’s gotten his hands on the Stone," said Harry darkly. "The minute he regains his physical body, I bet my broomstick he’ll attempt to kill me in the most painful way possible. I see him as being the type of person to hold a grudge when someone banishes him from his body for ten years."

"Harry, you've got a point," said Daphne grudgingly, unable to argue with her friend's realistic, if not a bit dark viewpoint.

The final exam for the Slytherins was Defense Against the Dark Arts. Quirrell seemed a bit preoccupied throughout this period of time, if he had a more important task to do then to give first year Slytherins Exams. Harry's scar kept stinging but the stinging seemed to be the strongest when Quirrell's back was to him.

"Finished finally and thank Merlin for that," said Theodore as Daphne and Harry followed him out of the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom. Harry could not shake the feeling something was off.

"Quirrell did seem a bit preoccupied in there for some reason," said Daphne suddenly. "Marking all the exams can't be all that bad, so why is he is nervous? I mean, more nervous than usual."

"Because he is going to steal the Stone for You-Know-Who," said Theodore irritably.

"I thought we decided Snape was the one who was after the You-Know-What on the third floor," said Daphne, her eyes narrowing.

"No it was you who decided that," said Theodore. "Snape does seem shifty on a first glance, but it is obvious he is keeping an eye on Quirrell so he does not steal the object."

"Quirrell stealing the Stone or working for You-Know-Who, is laughable," said Daphne. "Quirrell can’t even hear about a dragon without cowering in terror."

The word "dragon" snapped Harry out of his thoughts. Something in Harry's mind clicked. He had brushed away his suspicions initially but the pain in his scar brought his paranoia back to the forefront.

"We have to go see Hagrid," said Harry rubbing his forehead.

"What for?" asked Daphne with a bewildered look on her face.

"Hagrid always wanted a dragon, pretty damn convenient someone showed up with one, also Hagrid probably would have spilled anything if this mysterious gentleman got Hagrid drunk, and I have this theory which I am hoping to verify," said Harry in a quick voice, rushing down to Hagrid's with Daphne and Theodore struggling to keep up with him.

Hagrid was outside his Hut as Harry, Daphne, and Theodore approached. Harry was looking frantic and Hagrid opened his mouth but Harry did not give him a chance to speak.

"Hagrid, this is extremely important, did you by any chance know what the stranger who gave you Norbert looked like," prompted Harry in a frantic voice, hoping that his theory was incorrect.

"Well, no, Harry, he did not really take his cloak but that ain't strange down at the Hog's Head," said Hagrid slowly.

"Please, please, please, tell me you did not tell him anything about Fluffy," said Harry, looking as if all of his worst fears came true at once.

"Well, he did ask what kind of animals I looked afta," said Hagrid, not noticing Harry putting his head into his hands in frustration. "I mean, after Fluffy, I told him a dragon is really easy. Ya see, the trick to taming the beast is knowing what to do to calm him. Play Fluffy a little music and he will go straight to sleep."

Hagrid paused, obviously having said too much.

"I should' have told ya that," said Hagrid but Harry, Daphne, and Harry were already going back towards the castle, out of hearing distance when Hagrid had attempted to call them back.

"The deal is this, it had to be whomever Voldemort is possessing underneath that cloak," said Harry.

Before Daphne and Theodore could say anything, Hermione came up to Harry, Theodore, and Daphne.

"There you three are, I have been looking all over for you," said Hermione before noticing the dark look on Harry's face. "What's the matter, Harry?"

"Voldemort’s going after the Stone, tonight, I am sure of it," informed Harry. "Someone has to do something or he’ll succeed.”

"Tell Dumbledore," suggested Daphne. "After all, as much as I don't personally care for him, he is still the only one You-Know-Who ever feared."

Despite his nagging suspicions Dumbledore was not to be trusted, Harry could not deny the Headmaster's power over Voldemort. Harry had few other options, other than to go after the Stone himself before Voldemort could get a hold of it and that plan was a last ditch option.

"Let's go," said Harry in a reluctant tone of voice as Hermione, Daphne, Theodore, and Harry rushed up to the Headmaster's office.

When the four friends arrived there.

"Chocolate Frog," said Harry causing the gargoyle to spring to life, allowing them entrance to the office of the Headmaster.

The four friends entered the office but there was just one problem. Dumbledore was gone.

"Where did he go, I wonder?" muttered Harry as he looked around the office, by the looks of things, Dumbledore just recently left. "Very convenient he stepped out right when he was needed."

"Harry, please, now’s not the time to lose your head in some paranoid theory," lectured Hermione. "We need to tell someone."

"Who, Hermione?" asked Harry. "No one strikes the fear in Voldemort more than Dumbledore and Dumbledore has decided to step out for the evening. I don’t like to do this, but if Dumbledore’s not here to stop Voldemort, then there’s only one thing to do now.”

"Harry Potter, don't tell me you are going after the Philosopher's Stone!" said Hermione incredulously.

"Fine, I won't tell you, but I'd be lying," said Harry coolly. "If Voldemort comes back, he will do everything he can possibly think of to hurt me. He’ll destroy my family, my friends, and then he’ll slowly destroy me. If there’s another way to do this, I would but as it stands right now, there’s no other choice."

Hermione looked worried for her friend and she had to agree with him.

"Fine, I agree," said Hermione. "I don't like it but you are not going down there alone, I am coming with you."

Harry opened his mouth but Daphne cut him off.

"We are all going," said Daphne. "We are going to do this together."

"All of us," said Theodore in a firm voice.

Harry looked at his friends.

"We need to do this now," said Harry. "Voldemort no doubt has a head start right now. Let's go."

The four friends walked out of the office as a figure concealed underneath an invisibility cloak watched them. Everything was going according to his plans. Harry would need his help once he met Voldemort and then the boy would gain the Headmaster's trust. Dumbledore would achieve fame and glory as Harry Potter's mentor. Then, after Voldemort was finished, Dumbledore would make sure Harry would be killed. An upstart Slytherin brat would not disrupt Dumbledore’s well-laid plans; he would make sure of it.

Outside the Third Floor Corridor, Harry peered inside. A harp was charmed to play inside.

"Voldemort's already been here," said Harry grimly. "Time is of the essence, who knows when that harp will stop playing or how far Voldemort has gotten towards the Philosopher's Stone. C'mon."

Harry opened the door without little trouble and the four friends walked into the room. To pry Fluffy's paw off the door, it took all four friends to move it. The trapdoor sprang open.

"Okay, that was a little too easy," said Theodore. "What is down there anyway?"

"I don't know, but it looks pretty deep," said Daphne. "It looks like we need to jump, because I don't think there is any way to just climb down."

"Thank you for pointing out the blatantly obvious once again, Greengrass," said Theodore shaking his head. "I'll go first, shall I."

Theodore leapt down and Daphne jumped down a few seconds later.

"Ow, Daphne, you landed on top of me," groaned Theodore from deep down in the trapdoor.

"Well, something had to break my fall," replied Daphne in a mischievously tone of voice.

Harry looked down but he still could not see anything. A second later the harp stopped playing.

"Son of a..," said Harry before being cut off by growling. Fluffy was awake and he was not a very happy dog. "Hermione, go for the trapdoor, now!"

"But..." started Hermione her eyes wide in horror but Harry was in no mood to argue.

"Now!" cried Harry forcefully. "I’ll try and hold him off."

Hermione looked reluctant but jumped down to join the others. Harry looked at the dog.

"Nice dog, sit, heal," said Harry but Fluffy kept growling at Harry.

The dog attempted to claw Harry but Harry rolled underneath and removed a shuriken from his pocket, before he flicked it directly at the harp. The harp gave a note, which distracted Fluffy, making the dog woozy. Harry rushed at the hole, throwing himself down it just before Fluffy came to his senses.

"Cowabunga!" cried Harry, before hitting the soft ground below. Looking around in the darkness, he saw his three friends looking at him.

"Cowabunga?" asked Daphne shaking her head before getting a vine wrapped around her throat.

Apparently there was some kind of plant at the bottom of the pit and it was beginning to wrap around Daphne, Theodore, Hermione, and Harry.

"What in the world is this bloody thing?" demanded Harry, fighting the vines, which were wrapping around him, as this demonic plant was intent to asphyxiate him.

"Don't ask me, Herbology is not my subject," grumbled Theodore as the vines were pinning his legs and arms back.

"Don't move," said Hermione. "It's Devil’s Snare. If you move, it’s only going to kill you quicker."

"Charming, Hermione," remarked Daphne sarcastically. "It would be a better help if you could tell us how to kill it. Herbology is not the highest order of concern in the Slytherin House."

Harry was attempting to struggle against the vines but he decided to hold his breath and stop moving.

"Devil's Snare, let's see," said Hermione attempting to concentrate with one movement at all. "It's destroyed but something but what did Professor Sprout say."

"Hermione, please remember before we run out of room in here to breath," grunted Theodore as he was nearly completely wrapped in the vines.

"Fire!" cried Hermione suddenly remembering. "But, I can't reach my wand!"

Harry heard Hermione and wondered if it was starting to get warm in the formally dank dungeon. Suddenly, he could feel his body heating up and then turning into a human fireball, which was starting to burn the Devil's Snare.

"Harry!" cried Hermione but a few seconds later, the Devil's Snare released all four of them, having been burnt to a crisp.

Harry's body started cooling down as the fire slowly faded from around his body. Harry looked at his arms, but there was not a slight burn mark on his body.

"Okay, what just happened?" asked Daphne in a bewildered force, as her eyes were widened in surprise.

"It's my Mystic abilities," said Harry calmly but there was a small amount of awe evident in Harry’s voice. "I hadn’t been able to use them until now, I had been trying on and off for months."

"Mystic abilities?" asked Theodore in awe. "I thought those were only supposed to be a myth."

"No, but it is extremely rare," commented Hermione. "Only two wizards have been known to have Mystic Abilities before, Merlin and Salazar Slytherin."

"Seems like good company to be in, Harry" said Daphne but Harry looked forward seriously.

"We need to keep moving," said Harry. "No doubt more obstacles will be to come."

The four moved through the door and entered a second room. This room contained what appeared at first sight to be birds flying around the room. Without a word, they walked across the room to a second door but it would not open.

"Let me try something," muttered Hermione before pulling her wand out. "Alohomora!"

The spell struck the door but nothing happened.

"Interesting, the unlocking charm isn’t working," said Daphne. "There is something missing. What though?"

"The birds up there, they have to be here for a reason," muttered Theodore.

Harry looked at the birds and a thought struck him as he saw the silvery glint off the birds.

"That’s not because they’re not birds," said Harry suddenly. "They’re keys, winged keys, one of them have to fit the door."

Harry looked to the corner and a broom was sitting in the corner. If Voldemort could get to the key, then surely the youngest seeker in a century had a decent shot.

"I've got it," said Harry. "I need to fly up, grab the key which fits the door, and that is how we get past this obstacle."

"Harry, look," said Hermione while pointing to a key with a bent wing. "That key has to be the one."

Without a word, Harry mounted the broom, looking up at the winged keys before shooting up. Harry circled the keys and went after the key with the broken wing but all the other keys shot at Harry, the sharp points directed right at his body.

"Okay, this could be potentially problematic," said Hermione with a worried tone.

"Gee, you think, Hermione," said Theodore as Harry flew around, as the keys chased him around the room, not letting up, not even for a second.

"Harry, you need to get the key before it’s too late!" yelled Daphne, as she stood on her toes, watching the scene from above anxiously.

"Before or after those things bludgeon me," said Harry through gritted teeth.

"Well, I would say before as those things would not look too pleasant if they hit you," said Daphne.

Harry swerved at the last minute from hitting the wall and the keys bounced off the wall before firing back towards Harry. Harry shot down before shooting back up, clasping the key for the door in his hands. Harry kicked off the broom, sending it at the sharp winged keys chasing him before dropping down. The sharp keys sliced the broom into multiple pieces and continued to direct their attack towards Harry.

"C'mon," said Harry, placing the key in the door before it clicked open.

The sharp winged keys were whistling, moving in close. The four friends dived through the door and slammed it shut and not a second too soon as the keys punctured the wood of the door, sticking in it.

"I could sense those keys were not supposed to do that," said Harry shaking his head. "It seems to me, Voldemort scrambled the protections after he came through, stalling for time. No doubt he wanted anyone who followed him destroyed. Also the Devil's Snare seemed a bit before violent than it should have been. Voldemort doesn’t want anyone to catch up with him."

"Once again, grim but most likely true," said Theodore darkly.

A giant chessboard came into view. Harry groaned as he looked at it. He was rubbish at Muggle chess, and he imagined Wizarding Chess would be no different.

"I hate to say this, but Ron Weasley would actually be an asset here," said Hermione shaking her head. "He is one of the best chess players in the Gryffindor House."

Harry's eyes narrowed, Voldemort was already ahead and this could take hours to get through.

"We don't have time for a chess game," said Harry pulling his double-edged sword out from the sheath from underneath his robes. "So there is only one thing to be done."

Harry rushed forward and one of the Chess pieces menacingly stepped forward but Harry twirled his double-edged sword, slicing the chess piece in half. The other chess pieces attempted to attack Harry but Harry stepped out of the way and the chess pieces shattered from the impact of connecting with each other. Two more Chess pieces came forward and Harry swerved around, before springing up high into the air, knocking the top parts of the two pieces off with a split kick. After a short amount of time, the entire opposite side of the Chess Board was taken out. Harry placed his sword back into the sheath it was taken from, pushing it back behind his back.

"Chess, Harry Potter style," said Daphne in amusement. "A different spin to a classic game. Just decapitate the opposing team's pieces."

"That’s an incredibly original way to win a Chess game," said Theodore.

"We better get going," said Hermione rushing to catch up with Harry as Daphne and Theodore brought out the rear.

Harry stopped short and a sickening smell filled his nostrils. A troll laid down upon the floor, knocked out. It looked bigger than the one Harry had fought on Halloween Night.

"Well, that’s one less thing I have to fight," said Harry in relief as Harry walked forward. Hermione followed him shortly after but before Daphne and Theodore could follow a black flame shot up behind them.

Panicking, Harry and Hermione rushed a few steps forward before a purple flame shot up in front of them. Before them, a row of bottles of different shapes and sizes existed.

"We're trapped," said Harry grimly.

"Look, Harry," said Hermione pointing to a piece of paper. Harry took the paper and read it quickly.

"It's a logic puzzle of some sort," said Harry frowning. "Trust Snape to come up with something like this. Look, here's what it says."

Hermione and Harry looked at the message, which read as follows:

Danger lies before you, while safety lies behind,

Two of us will help you, whichever you would find

One among us seven will let you move again,

Another will transport the drinker back instead,

Two among our number hold only nettle wine,

Three of us our killers, waiting hidden in line.

Choose, unless you want to stay here forevermore. To help us in your choice, we give you these clues four:

First, however slyly the potion tries to hide

You will always find some on nettle wine's left side;

Second, different are those who stand at either end,

But if you move onward, neither is your friend;

Third, as you can see clearly, all are on different size,

Neither dwarf nor giant holds death in their insides;

Fourth, second left and second on the right

Are twins but different on first sight

"Brilliant," said Hermione. "The best wizards would be stuck down here for ages, because this problem doesn’t have a strictly magical solution."

"So, which one do I need to get through the flames and forward," said Harry.

"Give me a minute," muttered Hermione before she reread the paper silently and then picking out the smallest bottle, handing it to Harry. "Here."

Harry looked at the bottle. It was only enough for barely a swallow.

"Which one will get you back through the black," said Harry.

"This one," said Hermione, picking up a round bottle on the right side of the row.

Harry reached underneath his robe, taking off his Portus-Amulet and handed it to Hermione. Harry nearly forgotten about the Amulet and he could not have really used it anyway as an exact location needed to be in mind when it was used.

"Take this," said Harry, handing Hermione the amulet. "Get Daphne and Theodore, get to a safe place by touching your wand to it. You have to think of an exact place you want to go with it or it won't work."

"What about you Harry?" asked Hermione in a worried tone of voice. "How are you going to get out?"

"I don't really know," said Harry grimly. "I really don't know if I am going to get out. If I go down, I will go down fighting, I will tell you that much"

Hermione threw her arms around Harry's neck, surprising Harry.

"Harry please be careful!" cried Hermione. "I don't want to lose you. You're like the brother I never had, I couldn’t stand it if you..."

Hermione left the sentence hanging, but Harry could see what Hermione stopped herself from saying.

"I'll be careful Hermione, I promise," said Harry struggling to keep tears from filling his green eyes, touched Hermione thought of him like a brother.

Hermione gave Harry a good long look before taking a drink of the potion. Hermione shuddered and Harry looked worried.

"It's not poison is it," said Harry looking worried but Hermione shook her head.

"No but it feels like ice," said Hermione before stepping forward reluctantly, looking like she did not want to leave Harry alone.

"Go quickly before it wears off," said Harry while raising the smallest bottle to take his potion.

"Good luck, Harry" muttered Hermione before stepping through the black fire.

Harry looked forward at the purple fire in front of him.

"Showtime," muttered Harry before drinking the potion in one gulp. Harry's body felt like it turned to ice. "Here I come, Voldemort."

Harry stepped forward into the fire, ready to face whatever was on the other side.
Sign up to rate and review this story