Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Heart of the Warrior Book II

Chapter 05: An Eventful Weekend

by madnesspersonified 1 review

Sequel to Book 1, so read that first. Harry's second year at Hogwarts is filled with mysterious attacks, where he is the prime suspect. More complete summary in profile.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Crossover - Characters: Dumbledore,Gilderoy Lockhart,Ginny,Harry,Hermione,Tom Riddle - Warnings: [!!] [V] [?] - Published: 2006-11-03 - Updated: 2008-04-09 - 2750 words

2Original
Chapter 05: An Eventful Weekend:

It was early morning on Saturday, just a bit before six o' clock. Everyone who was sane still laid in bed but those on the Slytherin Quidditch Team did not have a chance to be sane with the fanatical training regime of one Marcus Flint.

Harry set out for practice. Unfortunately, Malfoy showed up for practice a bit shaken up from his previous meeting with Harry, but determined to show up Harry. Malfoy seemed to not want to give Harry the satisfaction of knowing he got the jump on him so Malfoy refused to tell anyone who attacked him. Harry felt Malfoy would still be there to attempt to get him kicked off the team by bribing them with the better broomsticks. The Slytherin Seeker vowed to make this attempt come back to bite Malfoy in practice today.

Harry made his way outside, looking around. Flint had not arrived yet but most of the Slytherin Quidditch Team was not there. Also, Harry spotted Professor Snape sitting in the stands. Harry wondered exactly why Snape was there, as he normally did not make a habit of visiting Quidditch practice.

Harry sat himself down, looking at his Nimbus 2000 broom. Malfoy may have the better broom but Harry had more experience in using his broom. He had Flint's ruthless Quidditch Practices to thank for that for all the time he spent in the air on his Nimbus 2000.

About fifteen minutes later, Flint arrived on the field, followed by Malfoy. Malfoy seemed to be talking to Flint.

"So you see, these Nimbus 2001 brooms would improve the Slytherin Team's playing capability by at least twenty times," said Malfoy, who was attempting to sell Flint on the brooms to worm his way onto the team. "Not that you do not captain a very good team but with these brooms, all I ask is the guaranteed spot as the Slytherin Seeker."

Flint looked at Malfoy with an indifferent look.

"We shall see, Malfoy," said Flint in an indifferent tone of voice, but with a greedy glint in his eyes.

Flint walked over the Slytherin Team, who looked about half asleep.

"Up on your feet, you worthless pieces of trash," barked Flint. The Slytherin Team sprang to their feet and Warrington nearly fell flat on his face. "Now, Potter, as I told you earlier in the week, last year, you were a reserve Seeker and thus only played the full time on the team due to an unfortunate accident by our regular Seeker, Higgs. Malfoy wants a tryout and if he gets on the team, we all get new brooms and you get a nice spot in the stands. However, you will get a chance to prove yourself against Malfoy, since I am such a nice guy."

Harry could hear at least half of the team snort at those final words from Flint. Flint was about as nice as his brother Michelangelo was serious, which was to say not at all. Still, Harry looked Malfoy in the eye with a cold look. He looked forward to humiliating Malfoy yet again.

"So, Potter, like my new broom," said Malfoy in a low voice, showing Harry the Nimbus 2001. "It will out fly your primitive model by a considerable margin. So prepare for the end of your reign as Slytherin Seeker."

Harry just gave Malfoy a short nod, as Harry mounted the Nimbus 2000. Malfoy was in for a little surprise, as words of something Master Splinter once told Harry flowed through his head about ninja weapons and how anything wielded by capable hands could be used as a deadly weapon. Harry felt the same thing applied to broomsticks, as it was not the broomstick that mattered, it was the talent of the person who rode it.

Malfoy looked rather eager, as if he thought he would get the better of Harry. Harry would make that feeling disappear rather suddenly once they were up in the air.

"Okay, simple enough exercise right here," said Flint. "The first to the snitch gets on the team. Also, for your added enjoyment, we will have our beaters hitting bludgers towards you."

Harry and Malfoy rose into the air on the broomsticks.

"The Snitch is being released," said Flint. "Begin."

Harry shot off, knocking Malfoy to the side. The blond boy desperately tried to hung onto his broom. It was obvious Malfoy only had been on the broom a handful of times and had not quite gotten the hang of it. Malfoy went after Harry but Harry was far ahead. Flint had a disgusted look on his face.

"Hit the bludgers towards Potter," hissed Flint. "I want those brooms."

The Slytherin Beaters attempted to take Harry out, but Harry was too crafty and he managed to duck their attempted bludger shots. The snitch was in sights but one of the beaters knocked the back of his broom. Harry had to readjust himself to spiral out of control and Malfoy looked close to getting the snitch, thanks to this timely bit of sabotage.

However, Harry was not going down that easily. He shot up high into the air over Malfoy, before spiraling down as Malfoy reached for the snitch and snatching the snitch right in front of Malfoy's nose. Malfoy had a disdainful look on his face. Flint looked rather enraged at Harry showing up Malfoy and perhaps ruining his chance at acquiring the top of the line Nimbus 2001 brooms. Flint appeared ready to put Draco on the team anyway but before he could say anything, Snape decided to voice his opinion.

"I do believe Mr. Potter has earned his spot as Seeker on the Quidditch Team," said Snape from the stands in a tone of voice that left no room whatsoever for argument. "Malfoy gave a valiant effort but it was proven that talent will prosper over faster broomsticks. Excellent catch Mr. Potter, now that has been settled, I have Potions Essays to grade. Come, Mr. Malfoy, you have no reason to stick around as Potter has beaten you for the spot of the Quidditch Team."

"Right, sir," said Flint. Even Flint was smart enough to understand it was useless to attempt to argue with the Slytherin Head of House when he had spoken.

Malfoy walked off with Snape, with a sour expression on his face. Harry smirked, looking pleased at getting the better of Malfoy once again. Practice went off pretty much without a hitch, unless Flint putting the team through his usual murderous training regime counted. Three hours later, Harry ached all over but at least he was still the Slytherin Seeker.

The rest of the day went by quickly up until the Detention with Lockhart on Saturday Night. Ron seemed to be avoiding Harry as of late after the Howler he got, but this new cold behavior seemed to have unintended consequences. He also avoided Ginny; as if he suddenly realized she got in the Slytherin House on her own free will and Harry hated being witness to a sibling dispute. The fights Leo and Raph had on occasions were bad enough, times they would not speak for days, but at least that was Harry's own family. Harry hated being involved with the disputes of others outside his family, as it felt like he was meddling in things that he should have. He constantly told Ginny that Ron would eventually come around, but Harry felt at times he was trying to convince himself as much as he was Ginny of this fact.

Harry gave a sigh as he headed up to Lockhart's detention. This was going to be a long year. Walking up to Lockhart's office, Harry raised his hand to knock on the door.

"Ah, here's the scalawag," said Lockhart, waving his finger. "Inside, Harry."

Harry walked into Lockhart's office with a feeling of overwhelming dread.

"A word to the wise, Harry," said Lockhart. "That little incident with the signed photos a few days ago, that may have been a tad bit preemptive. I daresay there may be a time where you need to have a stack at an arm's length, but you are not quite at that level yet."

Harry looked at Lockhart with a look of disgust. Lockhart just did not get the message.

"Although this is partially my fault, as I had not pulled you aside in that bookshop that one day, you would have never acquired a taste for fame," said Lockhart. "Patience, Harry, it will come in time but I was about as much as a nobody than you were at the age of twelve. In fact, a handful of people have heard of have heard of you with that business with He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named."

More than a handful of people, Harry privately thought but Lockhart appeared to be about as thick as a brick and about as subtle as one to the face so Harry decided that enlightening Lockhart on the truth would be as about as productive as discussing Advanced Algebra with Crabbe and Goyle.

"Although it is not as great as winning the Witch Weekly's Most Charming Smile Award five times, it is a start Harry," said Lockhart, beaming. "Never the less, I require your assistance, as this is detention and not an ideal chit chat. I will be answering some of my vast amounts of fan mail, and you may address the envelopes."

The four hours Harry spent in Detention seemed to drag by endlessly as if someone had stopped the clocks. The cruel and unusual punishment of listening to Lockhart babble about his various accomplishments, driving Harry towards the brink of insanity.

"So dark, for so long, so hungry," hissed a voice that made Harry jerk out of his thoughts of setting Peeves the Poltergeist on Lockhart. "Come, release me, set me free."

"So, as I was saying Harry, one of my best works, on the best selling list for nearly two years.." said Lockhart but Harry cut him off.

"That voice, did you hear it," said Harry, frowning. Hearing mysterious voices set Harry into full paranoid mode.

"What voice, Harry?" asked Lockhart stupidly before glancing at his watch. "Great Scott, look at the time! Time sure does fly by when you are having fun, does it not Harry?"

Harry was not going to even respond to that. Maybe the voice was a figment of Harry's own imagination or Lockhart was lying. Harry walked off, looking distracted, as if straining to hear the voice once again. The voice never did crop back up and Harry shrugged his shoulders.

In the first year Slytherin girls’ dormitory, Ginny groggily got up. She must have dozed off writing to Tom in the diary. Looking down at her robes, a confusion sight presented itself. She was covered with rooster feathers and she had no clue exactly how they got on her body. The last thing she remembered was she was writing to the diary about Ron and then she woke up right here. A brief thought about telling Harry about this little incident entered Ginny's mind but it was quickly extinguished, as something told Ginny that she should not bother Harry with something as trivial as this.

In the diary, Tom felt extremely pleased. As the girl poured more emotion and more of her deepest, darkest secrets into the diary, he became stronger. Her rants about the recent behavior of her brother had been particularly filling. The first test of the extent of the connection so far had partially worked. Tom could only control the girl for about thirty minutes, so he needed to remain patient and wait just a few more weeks before he could continue the work he started fifty years ago. No doubt his presence would also awake his faithful pet deep in the heart of the Chamber of Secrets and its thirst for blood would become fueled thus making the attacks even more deadly. As for the one known as Harry Potter, if he stepped in Tom's way when he controlled his puppet of a girl, he would be dealt with in the most painful way possible.

"Wait, Mikey did what now!" said Harry incredulously, as he was talking to Donatello on the two way mirrors, in the Slytherin Library on Sunday Afternoon.

"I told you, he dressed like a superhero and attempted to fight evil," said Don. "It was quite amusing really, except for the part when he got destroyed by the resident evil megalomaniac. After nearly getting his shell waxed, he decided to give up the super hero gig after the first official team up with the Silver Sentry."

"Wait, so there are really super heroes in New York," said Harry, looking amused.

"Unfortunately, yes," said Don. "Which means Mikey may or may not go out stalking other super heroes should come out and find them when he goes topside. You know his comic book obsession."

"Indeed," said Harry. "So other than Mikey making a fool out of himself, how have things been at the city?"

"Rather quiet still, the Foot still appears to be inactive," explained Don. "The Purple Dragons seem to be still into their daily dose of petty street crimes but that is mere child's play compared what we had to go up against with the Foot. With the Shredder out of the picture, it seems our battles with those ninjas may be a thing of the past."

"I hope you are right," said Harry. "Anyway, Don, I have go. I told Ginny I would help her with her homework and I am supposed to be meeting her in the main library right now."

"Sure, Harry, have fun with your girlfriend," said Don winking.

"Ginny is just a friend," said Harry coolly. “A really good friend, we share a lot of interests as it turns out, and being the youngest in a family with a lot of siblings does give us a lot of common ground, but I think I’m a bit too young to think about liking anyone like that.”

Harry wondered exactly what he was feeling towards Ginny He was kicking himself for going in a vivid description about Ginny when he was talking to Raph earlier in the week and no doubt Raph informed the others, no doubt adding his own theories into the mix.

"Okay Harry, whatever you say," said Don in a disbelieving voice.

"Goodbye, Donatello," said Harry shortly, his face still a bit red.

A few minutes later, Harry found himself in the library with Ginny. Hermione had backed out of joining them at the last second, as she had not quite finished her own homework. The two Slytherins worked quietly in the library and Ginny seemed to not need much up, until that is she got to Potions. She was writing an essay for Snape and it seemed to be irritating her to no end.

"Harry, I heard you’re pretty good at Potions but that particular skill seems to have bypassed me, so could you pleased tell me is the main ingredient for a Forgetfulness Potion," said Ginny.

"Sorry, Ginny, I can't tell you, not because I don't know, but because you need to learn it on your own. I can help you look it up, however," said Harry. "I believe the answer you are looking for is just a few pages away in your Potions text."

Harry leaned over, inadvertently touching Ginny's hand with his own. At this moment, a very foul tempered Ron Weasley entered the library. Snape seemed to have a vendetta against him, as he gave him extra homework for fouling up his potion. Yet Crabbe did the same thing and Snape did not do anything to him. What Ron saw as he walked he did not improve his mood

It was his baby sister and that no good slimy Slytherin Potter, together. They appeared to be holding hands from what Ron could see.

Something inside Ron snapped, he could not take it anymore. Potter had crossed the line this time and was taking advantage of his sister. Ron had to do saying something, no matter what his mother told him.

Harry spotted Ron with an enraged look on his face and quickly took the hand that he inadvertently placed on Ginny's off. The damage had already been done as Ron was making his way over to Harry and Ginny.

"Potter, what in the bloody hell do you think you are doing!" thundered Ron, drawing out his wand and advancing towards Harry.
Sign up to rate and review this story