Categories > Original > Romance

Piano Keys

by ilovebrownies 0 reviews

His fingers lay upon the keys, white and black they were, with a touch of red, a stain of memory.

Category: Romance - Rating: PG - Genres: Romance - Published: 2006-11-04 - Updated: 2006-11-04 - 529 words - Complete

1Ambiance
He had never liked it, he hated its presense, sitting in the well lit room waiting for eager hands to run across its many keys. But that was all before, far away in the past, now he stands by it, staring at the shining keys he disliked so long ago. He turns around now to face her, her bright twinkling eyes just urging him to sit down and serenade her with his songs. He is finally convinced and sits down, placing his hands carefully and gently over the keys.

Down in the low chords, he begins his first notes, two notes in fact, an octave consisting of two Cs lifting his hands high, he moves swiftly across the piano to play the second chord, a C minor chord while his right hand plays a solemn G. The sound resonates within the room his left hand once again jumps down into the lower registers to hit the C octave once again. An A flat in the right hand while his left hand once again hits another chord with extreme precision. The music continues to flow from his hands, bringing a smile to the girl's lips as she clapped her hands together. The key changes, and the song begins to sing with joy, a happy tune that widens the smile upon her face.

The years pass as they grow closer. The boy begins to smile more now. Yet his happiness does not last and inevitable future is something he would never expect.



The knife plunges through her flesh, puncturing her heart and leaving a wound. Blood splatters onto the piano as she staggers backward, colliding with the piano and falling to her knees. Her scream continuing to echo softly in the distance.

He stares at her in horror, at her limp body. He remembers his promise to her, to continue his practice, and complete the song, just so she can hear him play. He sits down on the chair. His fingers lay upon the keys, white and black they were, with a touch of red, a stain of memory. A memory of their times together as he feverishly tries to wipe away the blood, his fingers tremble slightly, but he remains focused. He begins from the third page, another key change, from its once happy tune back to its original sounds. His first notes, an octave in the lower regions. As the sounds of the triplets he plays fill the room, you can hear a ghost, wailing in the distance, like the wind. His tears splash upon his hands as they drip to the floor where she lays. Both hands lift as he plays the last chord, a C minor chord that slowly disappears as he takes his hands away, his promise, fulfilled.



There he stands now, staring at the object he detested so. He approaches it now, looking down at the white and black keys, still tinged with the red stain.

"Tonight... I play once more for you..."

In the dark of the night, the sounds of a C minor Nocturne echo...



Author's Note: If anyone happens to be interested, the piano piece is Chopin's C minor Nocturne # 13 Op.48 No.1
Sign up to rate and review this story