Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Path Chosen

Chapter seven: Unexpected Arrival

by Random_Shinobi 2 reviews

Harry Potter has been trained by a certain Dark wizard since he turned five. What happens when now fifteen years old Harry arrives his first time to Hogwarts to get his OWLs?

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Drama - Characters: Harry - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2006-11-05 - Updated: 2006-11-05 - 3673 words

5Exciting
Disclaimer: If you recognize it, then it might well belong to J.K.R or to some of her affiliates. Or to some random people out there. I only claim my OC:s and plot.

------------------------------------------------------


Chapter seven: Unexpected Arrival



The Sorting ceremony had just ended in the Hogwarts' Great Hall.


Thousands of candles were floating midair over four long tables, where all students were sitting. These tables were laid with glittering golden plates and goblets. At the top of the hall was another long table where the teachers were sitting.


Albus Dumbledore had got to his feet. He was beaming at the students.


"Welcome," he said, "welcome to a new year at Hogwarts! Before we begin our feast, I would like to..."


His words were cut off, as the large double doors were suddenly slammed wide open. A lone figure dressed completely in black stepped forward into the hall.


Candlelight glittered in his robes' golden embroidery. His cloak was fluttering majestically. Black hood hided his face in darkness.


"Headmaster Dumbledore, I presume that you got my letter," the mysterious visitor said in pleasant tone. It was young man's voice.


"Actually no. I am afraid that haven't got any owl from you, mister..." Dumbledore inquired with equally pleasant voice.


"Potter," the visitor announced in a strong voice as he took his hood off, revealing his unruly black hair, lightning bolt shaped scar and strikingly green eyes. "My name is Harry Potter."


Everybody went silent. Every pair of eyes in the hall was focused on the boy who claimed to be the Harry Potter, the Boy Who Lived. The boy who had once defeated He-who-must-not-be-named. The boy who had vanished ten years ago.


Dumbledore's next words echoed in the otherwise silent hall. "Mr. Potter. May I ask why have you suddenly decided to come here? And where have you been all these years?"


"I came here to get my OLWs and round up my magical education," Harry said, not answering to the second question.


Snape sneered. "Do you really think that you can just walk here and take OWLs? Exams will held at the end of the year. And you probably don't even have enough skill to participate anyway."


"Ah... You are wrong. I might not be very good at astronomy, herbology or history, but that is why I came here at the beginning of the year. I will have time to learn enough. Not to mention that I am not completely ignorant in the arts of magic."


A person is smart, Harry, people are not. They are excitable, prejudiced, easily frightened and frankly, they are way too easily manipulated. This is why we must always control what appearance we exhibit to the masses. That was something that Kheiron had told him many times over. Sadly enough, it was true. Heh... Time to do some magic...


With a fluid motion, Harry took his wand out of his pocked, and pointed it towards floor. He transfigured one floor title into spear made of dark steel. The spear was ornamental. Multicoloured gemstones were glittering on its finely engraved shaft. It was masterwork of transfiguration.


He grasped the spear with his left hand and threw it towards Snape.


As the spear left his hand, he made flickering motion with his wand. With surge of Harry's magic the spear turned into flock of black ravens. Ravens turned towards Harry in mid-flight. They were looking at Harry wickedly, their red eyes gleaming in candlelight.


Harry smiled at them and whispered an incantation: "Dormion." There was sudden flash of silvery light. All but one of the ravens fell down, unconscious.


Last raven flew towards Harry with gleeful shriek. Barely seconds before it would have sunk it's claws in him, Harry lifted his wand. "Incendio Eternus!"


Golden flames lashed out of his wand tip enveloping the raven in less than a heartbeat. A second later raven's still burning remains hit the floor with soft thud.


Flames quickly consumed what was still remaining of the raven's body. After the raven was gone, flames where still burning happily on the stone floor without any sort of fuel.


"Gubraithian fire. Quite impressive. Especially for a wizard of your age," Dumbledore said his eyes focused on Harry. "I am sure that you will do well in Hogwarts, Mr. Potter."


"Thank you, headmaster," Harry said his eyes on Snape. Greasy git...


"Now. Let's get you sorted, that we can begin our long awaited meal."


"Sure."


Harry walked to the sorting hat, and put it on. Everyone in the hall was holding his or her breath.


"Well, well. This is interesting", Harry heard voice speaking in his head. He resisted sudden urge to use Occlumency to banish this intruder. But the Sorting Hat couldn't sort him if he would do that, so he settled to hide most of his... surreptitious memories. Besides he wasn't that confident in his Occlumency skills. If he tried to hide more, the Hat might realise that he used Occlumency.


"Very difficult. Plenty of courage, I see. Not a bad mind, either. There is talent, oh my goodness, yes... and so much hate," the Hat said detachedly. "You are brimming with righteous anger."


"Anger is a weapon as much as a wand is," Harry quoted Grindelwald.


"That may be as it is, but that particular weapon will do you no good."


"Really? It has served me well this far."


"So much like your master you are,"
the Sorting Hat whispered sadly, "but eventually he learned his folly. I hope you see the truth little less tragically."


"How did you-,"
Harry trailed off.


"Know about Kheiron?" The hat chuckled. "I know much more than anyone expects. But do not worry, your secrets are safe with me, young one, for I'm bound by ancient charms not to reveal any confidential information to anyone."


"I have no choice but to trust you, now do I?"
Harry asked. "Shall we get this sorting-business done?"


"Very well,"
the Hat agreed. "My first thought was to put you in Slytherin, but that might end in bloodshed... So where should I put you?"


"Why are you asking me?"
Harry spoke in his mind. "Aren't you supposed to be the one who decides? I will take whatever fate decides to throw in my way."


"Well, that's your pride talking... then you shall be a GRYFFINDOR".
The hat yelled the last word aloud.


Gryffindor table erupted in loud cheers, as Harry started walking towards it. Dumbledore was smiling happily at Harry's back. Harry too, was pleased. Being sorted into Gryffindor would make his job easier.


As he sat down on the Gryffindor table he realised that everyone were still looking at him. He tried to pay no attention to it, but it wasn't really working. I should probably say something, but what?


Luckily for Harry, food suddenly appeared to golden plates, taking attention away from him. Harry started to discretely gather food to his plate.


"So, where have you been?" some male redhead asked him. "I mean that you were supposedly kidnapped about ten years ago."


The Gryffindor table went suddenly silent awaiting his answer. Everybody was once again looking at him. And he had never been good at socialisation.


"I was not kidnapped. I went by my free will," Harry began. "Those muggles never liked me. Actually... we despised each other. It was better this way."


"But who took you? And why were you hiding?" asked a brown haired girl who sat next to the red headed boy.


"Ah, well... I am not going to answer that first. And to the second." He took a breath. "I wasn't exactly hiding. I just stayed out of the spotlight. Besides I was quite busy."


"Um... What were you doing?" asked a petite redheaded girl, who was sitting few spots left of him.


"I was studying." Harry was starting to feel irritated. Everything about Kheiron was still a sore point for him. "You know, it's not polite to just start asking personal questions, I don't even know your names to begin with."


"Uh... well... I am Hermione Granger and he's Ron Weasley," the brown haired girl said pointing towards the red haired boy.


"And she's his sister, Ginny," she said pointing the other red head.


As Hermione continued her interlude, Harry tried to memorize all the names. Argh... I was never good with names. How I am supposed to remember them all?


"Nice to meet you all," Harry said as soon as Hermione had stopped. "But I really don't wish to speak about my past, so please don't ask me about it."


*


After the feast Harry started to walk towards the Gryffindor common room. He had asked his new housemates about its where-abouts.


He was however interrupted midway.


"So. Were have you been hiding from the Dark Lord?" Draco Malfoy asked lazily. Grabbe and Goyle were flanking him like bodyguards. "Maybe you should have stayed where you were."


Harry turned around, so that he could look Malfoy eye to eye. "I have not been hiding from our dear Voldie." Oh... It's that Malfoy boy... This is not going to be pleasant...


"Don't call him that," Draco snarled.


"Don't worry. I did it accidentally on purpose..."


"Trying to clever, are you Potter? You shouldn't, as you obviously have no talent for it. Besides doing so might cause you to die early like your parents."


Harry let out a small laugh. "If I didn't know better, I would be thinking that you were threatening me. But ickle prefect like you would never do something like that..."


Draco snorted. "As you so intelligently pointed out, Potter. I am a prefect. So I can take points from you."


The blonde boy began smiling diabolically. "Ten points from-," Draco started, but his words were cut off by a muting hex.


"Don't be a fool," Harry said his wand pointing towards Malfoy. "You don't want me as your enemy. I already dislike you for your poor manners and for your obvious allegiance to Voldemort."


Malfoy tried to say something, but no words came out. His bodyguards were starting to get confused, as if they didn't know what to do when Malfoy wasn't ordering them around. Such stupidity should be illegal...


"I wonder why Dumbledore hasn't already expelled you. It is probably because he wants to believe best in people, and he is also a firm believer in a second chance."


People were starting to gather around them. Most of them were obviously pleased to see Draco beaten in his own game. Malfoy had gained quite a lot of influence since Voldemort's return, and not many students had nerve to stand against him anymore.


"And let me assure you; I believe in neither," Harry continued his monolog. "If you try anything funny against me... Well, let's just say that you would regret that you were ever even born."


"That's mighty brave from you," said some Slytherin boy who had just arrived to the scene. "But then, you are a Gryffindor, and they are famous for their complete lack of survival instincts."


"Finite Incantatem," the Slytherin said pointing his wand at Malfoy.


"How dare you," Draco hissed at Harry as he regained his ability to speak, drawing his own wand out of his pocket. "I am a Malfoy, no one messes with me." Both of his bodyguards took out their wands.


"Shut up, Malfoy. I never argue with an idiot, as they will drag you down to their level and then beat you by experience."


"Everbero," Draco yelled. Harry lazily sidestepped Draco's bludgeoning curse. Fortunately there was no one behind him, so the curse hit stonewall with loud cracking sound.


"Shouldn't you avoid attacking people in front of witnesses, including the Headmaster?" Harry said casually, pointing his left hand over Draco's shoulder.


"What!" Draco uttered as he and his two 'friends' turned their heads to see if Dumbledore was behind them.


Turned out that he wasn't.


Too easy, Harry thought as he uttered single incantation, "Dormion."


There was a flash of silvery light. Malfoy, Grabbe and Goyle fell on the floor with three soft thuds.


Harry heard the remaining Slytherin sigh though there was a slight smirk on his face. "That was stupid. You have made powerful enemy today."


"It was sort of unavoidable, you know," Harry answered, grinning. "By the way, what's your name?"


The Slytherin boy looked him oddly before answering, "Theodore Nott."


"It was pleasure to meet you," Harry said as he pocketed his wand and started to walk towards the Gryffindor tower.


*


Harry was sitting on one of Gryffindor common room's squashy armchairs near the blazing fireplace. Hogwarts didn't look to him that different from the Northwind manor in which he had spend most of his childhood, except that everything was coloured either red or gold. Harry was aware that most people in the room were stealing glances at him. But no one had come speak him yet. He was sure his luck would end soon...


"Harry, may I ask you a question?" Ginny, who was sitting near him, asked tentatively.


Harry turned towards the Weasley girl. "By all means."


"Why are your pupils oval shaped?"


Harry blinked. It was that noticeable? I'm not even using their special ability! But then, I have been looking at bright fire, which causes my pupils to narrow. And she has been staring me intensively. So, what should I say to her? Well... there is no point in lying.


"Because of certain potion and a few selected spells."


"Oh... was it an accident? I am sorry."


"Don't be," he smiled at Ginny. "I did it at purpose to get rid of my glasses. I got few added bonuses as well."


"Like what?"


"My eyes can see many things. I Know people who would kill to have eyes like mine. But then, they would kill for a galleon too. So it doesn't really..."


Hermione interrupted him. "I know eyes like that. Salazar had them. Voldemort has them. Those eyes are created through Dark magic!" Many people around gasped as they heard You-Know-Who's name, but Harry was completely unfazed by His name. Harry, however, was pit put off because that brunette witch apparently knew exactly what his eyes were.


"Indeed they are. But so what? Dark Arts is nothing but a name," Harry said in neutral tone. "Name put to a collection of spells that most wizards fear. And we all know that fear blinds people, even when it is justified. Can you really trust judgment of ignorant people?"


"Well... no... but Dark magic causes misery and suffering to people!"


"Some of it indeed does, yes," Harry agreed. "But you can harm people with nearly any magic. You could quite easily kill someone with simple levitation spell. It's foolish to categorize some spells as Black magic. All that matters is the intention behind the spell."


"Are you saying that Dark magic is good?"


"No. There are definite dangers in it. Mostly because it's so well suited for harming people. But Dark magic can be used for good. As I said, it's all about the intention. Like with all other magic."


Hermione was silent for a moment, thinking hard before answering. "Well you might be right, but I still don't like it."


"Feel free to do so," Harry answered, trying to muster a charming smile. "I don't mind. Besides, I wasn't the one cast the spells on my eyes."


*


"I don't like him," Hermione said to Ron and Ginny as soon as Harry had went to sleep. "He seems so fake somehow. And he meddles with the Dark Arts."


"I think that you are overreacting. He seems nice," Ginny said tentatively. "Besides you don't know for a fact that he meddles with the Dark Arts. And what's wrong with those eyes? We have seen much more weirder things. And, aren't the Dark Lord's eyes red and his pupils slits?"


Hermione looked Ginny into her eyes and said: "Don't be fooled by him, Ginny. He's definitely charming and handsome but he is not good."


"Mione, calm down," Ron joined conversation. "If he would be some terrible Dark wizard he would be in Slytherin, and not in Gryffindor. And that thing what did to Malfoy was ingenious!"


"Ingenious?" Hermione asked, lifting her eyebrows. "He insulted Malfoy and then stunned him."


"Hey... He tried to take points from Gryffindor!" Ginny defended Harry. "That slimy git got what he deserved!"


Quite unusually, Ron agreed with her, "Couldn't agree more."


Hermione just snorted.


*


Harry opened the door to his dormitory and stepped in, closing the door behind him. Luckily it seemed to be empty of people, his dorm-mates were apparently still in common room.


He walked to his bed. At least to what he thought was his bed. He got his confirmation as he saw his trunk on the other side of the bed. Of course, he still carried his most prized possession with him all the time in his heavily enchanted trunk, which was currently transfigured into a small steel pebble residing in his pocked.


Harry took of his robe and threw it on his bed. Suddenly he heard a soft whooshing sound as someone opened bed curtains behind him. He whirled on the spot, drawing his wand and pointing it towards the sound. It was his dorm-mate, Dean. The dark skinned boy looked at him wide-eyed, and it was quickly starting to annoy him. "What?"


"Why are you wearing... those things?"


Harry looked swiftly down on himself. He was wearing shirt and pants made of black acromantula silk. Over his shirt he wore custom-made very dark green, nearly black, dragonhide armour. He had sturdy leather boots and black fingerless gloves. His metallic bracers were gleaming slightly in the candlelight. Six throwing darts were attached on the left hand's bracer, ready to be grabbed in a heartbeat. The tips of the darts were glowing in dim purple light, betraying their enchanted nature. On the right hand's bracer were short wand holster, with some sort of mechanism in it. There were second wand holster on his left thigh. On the right thigh there were short black rod, a heavily modified Auror stun-baton to be exact. On his belt were various assortments of pointy and not-so-pointy items. He was carrying enough weapons to make the Aurors look like pacifists and ordinary wizarding law enforcers downright harmless. No wonder that his dorm-mate was looking bit abashed.


Harry smirked. "I live dangerous life, you know. I am the number one on Voldemort's hit list. Well, at least I will be on the top of his list now when knows that I am alive. There is also some other faction interest in killing me. Not bad for a sixteen years-old boy. What do you say?"


Only a silence answered him.


"By the way," Harry begun. "Stupefy." The red bolt of magic hid squarely on Deans chest and he slumped to his bed. "Obliviate."


Harry sighed. The school hadn't even begun yet, and he already had to Obliviate someone. And what the hell had happened to his letter?


*


Hogwarts Headmaster Albus Dumbledore was sitting on his office. Defence Against Dark Arts professor Remus Lupin was sitting in a chair against him.


"Was it really him?"


"Yes. I think so," Dumbledore answered cautiously. "Or actually, I am afraid so."


"What do mean by that?"


"I am afraid of what kind of man he has become. He acted just like Voldemort acted when he was in school."


"Albus, you know that it doesn't necessary mean anything."


"Ah, But there is more. I am sure that you noticed his eyes." Remus nodded. "They are created through a ritual of Dark magic." Remus was now looking very stern. "And that's not even the worst of it. You probably didn't notice the silver ring on his right hand. It was a Horcrux."


"What!"


Dumbledore stared Lupin appraisingly for a while before speaking. "What do know about the prophecy?"


Remus blinked at Albus' sudden change of topic. "Not much. I only know that it's about Voldemort and Harry. And that it's the reason why Voldemort wanted to kill him."


Dumbledore nodded, opened a small wooden box on his table and took out a glass sphere that glowed with a dull inner light. "This ball contains the prophecy. There is no harm in showing it to you as Severus says that Voldemort already knows it. Headmaster tapped the ball with his wand. A figure, pearly-white as a ghost, fluid as smoke, unfurled itself from the sphere and begun to speak:


The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches... Born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies...

And the Dark Lord will mark him as his equal; heralding his ascendance into the mastery of the darkest of arts...

And either must die by the hand of the other, for neither can life while the other survives...

The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches... Reborn from ashes of compassion and love... Rage and hate shall yet again walk in human skin...



There was a silence once more as Remus considered implications the prophecy. "What does that mean?"


"It means that Voldemort cannot win this war as long as he lives. It also states Harry has the power to destroy him," Albus answered. "Of course, prophecies are not always right. And there is a matter that the prophecy strongly hints that Harry will become a Dark Lord himself"


Remus closed his eyes. He would do everything to help the only son of his now dead friends. "What can I do?"


------------------------------------------------------

Author's Notes: Dark Arts, Black magic and Dark magic are used as synonyms...

If you are confused about Harry's eyes, let me clarify: In their normal state they are green with slightly oval shaped pupils, like a cat. In normal light it is hard to spot, but in a bright light, when the pupils narrow, it becomes obvious. When the eyes are activated, they glow crimson and the pupils transform into thin slits.
Sign up to rate and review this story