Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Path Chosen

Chapter ten: Uncle Slayer

by Random_Shinobi 2 reviews

Harry Potter has been trained by a certain Dark wizard since he turned five. What happens when now fifteen years old Harry arrives his first time to Hogwarts to get his OWLs?

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Action/Adventure - Characters: Ginny, Harry - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2006-11-05 - Updated: 2006-11-05 - 4488 words

5Exciting
Author's Notes: I accidentally put an older version of chapter nine here. I just updated it, and so you might want to read that chapter again.

Disclaimer: If you recognize it, then it might well belong to J.K.R or to some of her affiliates. Or to some random people out there. I only claim my OC:s and plot.

--------------------------------------------------------


Chapter ten: Uncle Slayer




Daniel Evans alias Slayer side-along Apparated with some random Death Eater. Or rather, he was side side-along Apparated.


They rematerialized in silent Hogsmeade. It was late evening and shops were already closed. "Well, thank you," he muttered quietly to the woman beside him.


"Your thanks mean nothing, muggle," the witch said, her voice filled with scorn. "It's a pity that our lord has use for you. Otherwise I would have killed you like a..."


Slayer had gotten enough of his companion's bigotry toward muggles. He spun and extended his leg, kicking in a wide, low circle, his boot striking on the side of Death Eater's right leg and slamming both her ankles together. She fell down like a sack of stones.


Daniel gently shook his head. They never learn. "So, you were saying?"


She rose shakily to her feet and took her wand from its holder, pointing him with it. Daniel could tell that she was grimacing under her white mask. "How dare you," the witch snarled through gritted teeth. "You will pay from that, filthy muggle. Cru-"


She opened his mouth to deliver a curse, but it died in an agonized whoop as a perfectly placed kick slammed into her stomach. She flew backward, crashing into the shop's wall before sliding down in a heap, her legs unable to carry her anymore.


Her hand made a movement to reclaim the wand she had dropped a second ago. Just her hand reached her wand, Slayer stepped on her fingers, pinning them and the wand against the ground.


"I am not impressed, bitch," Slayer said as he took his sword slowly out of its scabbard, a sound of metal sliding against metal sounded very threatening in the silence. The silver blade seemed to glow in the moonlight. The woman took the hint and Disapparated.


Slayer sighed. And his mission had even started yet. This was going to be a long night. He sighed yet again.


Hopefully the bitch wouldn't reappear after few seconds to try blasting him with AK. That would be pretty annoying, and he didn't fancy telling Voldemort that he had to kill one of his servants. Daniel knew that The Dark Lord was even more wacko than he himself was.

He took a look upwards and his mood worsened even more. It was a full moon. And he hated full moons. They brought up unpleasant memories. Luckily muggles cannot become werewolves as the change requires magic that muggles simply didn't have.


He made his way silently toward the Honeydukes. His employer had told him about the secret passage leading to Hogwarts...


*


Harry Potter was walking towards the decided meeting point, the top of the Astronomy Tower. He hoped that he wouldn't meet any students on the way. Especially a certain redheaded witch...


"Hi, Harry! Where are you going?"


He spun around only to see the said chocolate-brown eyed girl. What the hell is she doing in the Astronomy Tower? "Actually, I could ask the same question?"


Suddenly he had an idea, and his lips instantly formed into a teasing grin. "I thought you weren't seeing anyone? Even I know the 'main' purpose of this tower to the students of this school."


She snorted. He couldn't help but smile at that. She was actually very cute when she did that. "Hah, very funny, Potter. I was searching for my brother and Hermione. They spend substantial amount of their time snogging. And so I thought they might very well be here. Now, what's your excuse?"


It only took him few seconds to fabricate a believable lie, "I have my first Astronomy lesson tomorrow and I wanted to see the place beforehand so I would find it without too much trouble."


Her eyebrows arched upwards. "Really? I would have thought that your reason to be here would have been... social." She has good instincts, I give her that.


What was Kheiron always saying about females... Oh yes. He now knew exactly what to do. Whether it was a intelligent thing to do was a completely different matter. "Would you care if it were?"


She blinked. "Uh... We are going together to Hogsmeade. I'm supposed to care."


Oh, yes. She's definitely having a crush on me. Perhaps I was wrong about her instincts, but anyway, it will make things easier. "Ah. But I had to trick you into agreeing to come with me."


Her eyes narrowed. "What are you implying?"


"Nothing." He quickly took few steps forward, eliminating the distance between two of them. His right hand reached for her chin and gently lifted it. Her eyes went round, and she opened her mouth to say something. Harry never knew what she was going to say as he promptly kissed her.


Their lips met in a soft, mellow kiss. Their lips hardly did more than just brush together. She tasted of strawberry, Harry noted. Why does she taste like strawberry? It made no sense. Well, who cares. It doesn't really matter, he thought, shrugging mentally.


He took few steps backwards and silently cast a disillusionment charm on himself before Ginny got over her surprise and confusion. He would be completely invisible as long as he didn't move.


Harry, witches are cunning creatures. If you don't keep your guard up they will walk right over you. Keep them on their toes. Confuse and conquer. It had taken him years to realise what his mentor had meant with 'conquer'.


*


Daniel sighed and released the limp body of a girl he was holding. The dead body hit the floor with soft thud.


Two dead girls were now lying next to his feet, their lifeblood silently pooling on the floor. They couldn't have been any older than twelve.


Killing children was so wasteful. But then, sometimes you must do things you would rather do not. It couldn't be helped. Or perhaps it could, he just didn't bother. After all, he didn't really care.


They have served their purpose, though. Now he knew were Harry Potter was. Their sacrifice was not for naught. Their sacrifice would advance his cause. Everything for the cause.


*


Ginny blinked few times, before she realised that Harry had already vanished. "Damn," she swore under her breath and turned towards the exit.


Harry watched the departing form of Ginevra Weasley with a small smile playing on his lips. He stood there for some time before lifting the illusionary charm. He turned around and begun continuing his way towards the meeting place. Suddenly he saw someone or something moving in the darkness.


The dark figure stood up and lifted his right hand, its body shifting so that its side was pointed at him. Harry could recognize the object the figure was holding; it was a muggle firearm. It wasn't a pistol or a revolver, but a some kind of machinegun. Harry's wand whipped out and he conjured an transparent, purple shield just in time to avoid being ripped apart by a burst of bullets.


The submachine gun gave no sound as it was fired, betraying the fact that it was charmed. Harry's shield rippled at the onslaught of bullets, but nothing managed to penetrate it. The intruder stopped firing, but didn't lower his weapon, when it become clear that his shield was completely bullet-proof.


The dark figure was wearing formfitting, black dragonhide armour from neck to toes. From its physique Harry could say it was a male. And his white mask marked him as a Death Eater. It was curious, though. Usually Death Eaters avoided all muggle things, considering them to be beneath them. This one obviously wasn't your normal bigoted Death Eater. How did he manage to overcome the wards, anyway?


The Death Eater took off his mask with his free hand, revealing smirking face, emerald green eyes and reddish hair. The man was probably in his early thirties.


"Who are you?" Harry asked calmly.


The Death Eaters gave him a lop-sided smile. "You don't recognize your uncle Dan. I'm heartbroken."


"My mother's brother is dead," Harry snarled. "Besides, he wasn't a wizard."


The Death Eaters smile widened, showing two rows of white teeth. "My earlier identity died. Nowadays I'm called Slayer. And who says I am a wizard?" Suddenly he exploded into motion. In a flash of steel, the man had put his gun back to its holder, grabbed the sword from over his shoulder and swung it at Harry.


Harry's eyes widened as the heavily enchanted longsword cut through his purple shield charm as easily as a muggle nuclear bomb burns its way through a paper sheet. Harry quickly spun to his right to avoid the strike. It was too late, however, and the black fabric of his Hogwarts robes split as the razor-edged blade cut a thin red line across his left shoulder.


Harry dropped his wand and snapped his fingers, activating the enchantment laid on the gold ring of his right index finger. The ring instantly transfigured into a golden, slightly curved sword. It was similar in design to his Japanese katana, only slightly shorter and bit more curvy. A wand was useless in a melee, after all. He swayed away from Slayer's thrust, bringing his sword down in a slashing movement. Slayer's silvery sword instantly spun upward into a perfect block. Blades sliced through the air and clanged.


Both combatants took few steps backwards and the battle ceased for a moment. They appraised each other. Harry focused and begun channelling magic into his eyes, activating the charms laid on them to the fullest. A Second later his eyes lit up, glowing like charcoals and his pupils narrowed into snakelike slits.


Shadows vanished and he could see everything with perfect clarity. He could see everything, from the small freckles nestled on Slayer's face, to the magic, which suffused the whole school, illuminating the hallway with nearly every colour in the spectrum. The world seemed slower and more sluggish than it had been just a second ago.


Very good, nephew. Very good. Usually wizards completely disregard muggle means. "Nice eyes, by the way." Slayer's lips formed into a half-smile and he lifted his sword, lunging like a coiled serpent at Harry, who had barely enough time to block Slayer's strike before he would have been decapitated. Struggling to gain the offence, Harry attempted to counter-attack, but his opponent showed no sign of relenting his frenzied attack. The muggle Death Eater moved like a blurred haze around him, rapidly assaulting his decaying defences.


Both swordsmen moved faster than ordinary human vision could perceive as they spun and jabbed their gleaming swords at one another. Predicting the source of Slayer's next attack, Harry swayed to his right, avoiding an overly aggressive thrust, and with one movement he swung his curved weapon towards Slayer's stomach, nearly cutting the Death Eater's entrails out. However, Slayer parried his attack with a smooth reverse block, while his leg whipped out and his heel landed solidly on the raven-haired boy's collarbone, but unfortunately for Slayer, Harry hardly felt a thing, due to the protection of the dragonhide vest, which he was wearing under his school robe.


Slayer attacked like a diving bird, his blade flicking and swinging ferociously but with elegance and expertise. He grinned fiendishly as he aimed a swift punch to Harry's face, who sidestepped the punch, lifting his leg and launching a savage kick on Slayer's abdomen. And then second followed quickly by third. Due the armour Slayer was wearing, the kicks didn't do any actual damage. However, they caused him to lose his balance momentary. It created an opening in his defences.


Harry didn't fail to exploit it. Clanging their swords together, he reached out with his other hand and grabbed his opponent's wrist with his free hand. He twisted his uncle's hand viciously up as he spun his body. Harry bent his knees as soon he felt his back coming into contact with Slayer's chest. A split second later he pulled hard on the wrist, standing up at the same time. The red haired muggle flew through the air, arcing over Harry's shoulder. A second later he impacted heavily on the stone floor, the wind knocked out of him.


Harry decided to end it and brought his golden sword down tip first, intending to pierce his uncles heart. Somehow Slayer managed to swung his silver blade, hitting Harry's sword and thus redirecting the stab so that it hit the floor next to him. Slayer rolled away, back up onto his feet, simultaneously throwing a black, carbon-steel dagger at Harry.


Harry spun away from the incoming dagger, his left hand reaching for his spare wand. Harry's lips curved into a slight smile as he saw that his enemy was now standing front of a large window. A second later a banishing charm left his wand. Slayer was violently thrown backwards by the spell. The window shattered into tiny, sharp pieces as the Death Eater went straight through it.


"I hope we wont meet again, uncle," Harry muttered to himself. Well, it wasn't very likely that he would see his uncle again. He had, after all, just blasted him thought the seventh floor window. Anyway, Harry wasn't about to lose his sleep over him.


Harry cast few healing charms on his injured shoulder. He shouldn't strain his shoulder for a day or so or the wound might reopen, but otherwise it was now fine. Harry rotated his shoulder carefully. It was a pity that he couldn't heal wounds instantaneously and perfectly like his former mentor. But Viscusar charm required high level of concentration and skill, which he simply didn't have, yet. But someday he intended to become to second person to ever master the greatest medical charm in existence.


He turned and saw something unexpected. In the far corner was a small cubic device. With his enchanted vision he could see a small, bright LCD-screen on it, displaying numbers. Numbers, that were rabidly running down. 3...


"Oh..."


2...


"Shit!"


1...


"Proteus!" The invisible protective screen enveloped him just a millisecond before the barbaric muggle device set off, engulfing the corridor in fiery death.


*


Ginny smiled to herself when she walked down the stairs of Astronomy Tower. It had gone very well. Very well, indeed. She had never ever dreamed that he would kiss her today. But he did!


When she had been a little girl, her mother had told her tales about the Boy Who Lived, and she had loved them. Maybe she had even harboured some sort crush on him?


He had always been one the great mysteries of the Wizarding Britain. How did he kill You-Know-Who when he was a baby? How could he be abducted from his home when it was guarded by wards placed by the most powerful wizard of the age? What has he been doing all these years?


There had been many outrageous rumours about him being trained as the next Dark Lord. Hermione apparently believed it, as she didn't like Harry. Ginny couldn't understand why. He was so nice, handsome, strong and... Her line of thought was abruptly broken, and her jaw fell down as she arrived to third floor corridor.



Two young girls – younger than her – were laying in a pool of crimson liquid and the air was filled with nauseating stench of blood. One of them appeared to be unharmed, except that she was soaked with blood. Maybe with her own? The other was obviously dead. Her head had... exploded. The wall next to them was sprayed with blood and something that she guessed were pieces of brain. She nearly emptied her stomach at the sight.


She recognised neither of them, but see could see they both wore Ravenclaw colours. Who could do something like this... and why?


Suddenly a terrible explosion shook the tower behind her. Harry! Oh, No!


"Harryyy!" she screamed and started to run the stairs upwards. Maybe she could help. Maybe she could have her answers.


And like a typical Gryffindor she rushed blindly into the danger.


*


The shield protected him from fire and stone and metal fragments, but the pressure wave lifted Harry off his feet, blasting him out of the window, through which he had banished his uncle just seconds before.


Air whistled into his ears as he fell down from the astronomy tower. Or would have whistled if his ears weren't ringing after the explosion. He cast a Wingardium Leviosa on himself, slowing down his fall. A soon as his speed had slowed down into acceptable levels, he cast an another spell on himself, turning his gravity towards the tower. Less than two seconds later he landed softly on the vertical wall.


"Well done, Dark Knight."


Harry instantly turned towards the sound, his wand pointing at Slayer, who was standing on the wall ten meters below him. To Harry's eyes Slayer's boots were shining brightly with yellow-white magic. "What makes you think that I am the Dark Knight?" he asked nonchalantly. "Nice boots, by the way."


His uncle grinned, revealing two rows of white teeth. "Why, thank you. Your pretty, red eyes pretty much give you out. Also I happen to know that few Death Eaters were killed with sword at the Ministry. Red eyes and skill with swords isn't a common combination."


"What a marvellous deduction," Harry applauded with an evil grin. "I will have to kill you now."


Slayer snorted. "I knew this was a fight to the death before I started it. Besides, it is you who is going to die, not me. I have killed countless wizards and witches. You are no different."


"Actually, if you are so keen on my blood, why didn't you attack me when I had my back turned on you?"


"It is not because of some stupid honour code, if that's what you are thinking. I merely emptied my clip on your marvellous shield few minutes ago and I haven't have a chance to reload."


"And here I thought you had morals," said Harry flippantly. "Well, I'm morally flexible too." He wasn't sure what he should do. If he would cast any spells his gravity -spell would be released and he would fall. On the bright side, Slayer didn't have his gun operational either. To reload it he would need both hands and few seconds. Seconds he didn't have. Seconds in which he would be completely open to attack.


It was clear that this battle would be decided by their skills with swords. Harry chose to take the initiative and attacked.


*


Ginny stepped into the destroyed corridor. Her eyes widened as she saw the extend of the destruction. The air was filled with stone dust and sulphuric smoke of explosives, walls were cracked, blackened and partially melted, and there was no sight of her Harry. She could only hope he hadn't been here when the explosion happened or that he had somehow survived it.


Suddenly her ears picked something. Metallic clanging sounds were coming from outside of the broken window. She cautiously walked to the window and peaked out, witnessing the duel ten meters below her.


*


Blades sliced through the air as they yet again engaged in the dance of death. Harry's blade erupted in a shower of sparks every time it struck slayer's sword. He sidestepped Slayers lightning fast strike and twirled on the spot, making a spiralling attack with his sword, simultaneously aiming a sharp kick to the back of Slayer's left knee. Slayer blocked his blade, but his kick hit true and Slayer slumped to his knees.


Harry launched a decapitating blow at his uncle, who dropped backwards to the floor, letting the sword pass cleanly over his head, before doing a somersault backwards and jumping back to his feet.


Harry continued his offensive with two series of blindingly fast strikes affectively known as Vampire's Kiss and Eagle Spreads its Wings. Slayer countered them with textbook blocks. Obviously the man wasn't home schooled. Maybe he should try something of the form... But then, he had already done that with no real success. If he just could use magic...


Harry was highly impressed by this muggle's skills. The man was as good as he was. And the spells woven on his body heavily enchanted his strength and agility. Even Arnold Schwarzenegger would be hard pressed to beat him at arm wrestling. In addition his eyes were masterworks of Dark Arts. Still this Slayer was able to fight him equally, forcing him to use every trick he knew.


Their swords moved in a blur as they stroke and parried, both desperately trying to gain an upper hand. Suddenly Harry had an idea. He slammed his sword to Slayer's, smacking both blades to the side. At that moment he jumped and released his gravity-spell. His boots impacted to Slayer's ribs, sending them both falling downwards.


They fell towards the ground, gaining speed every feet. Slayer kicked Harry to his stomach, sending them flying away from each other. He somersaulted and twisted his body so that his feet were pointing downwards. Harry's back hit the tower, and his school robe was ripped apart by the rough surface.


Wingardium Leviosa. His speed slowed down and he landed softly. Slayer wasn't so lucky. He hit the ground with loud thud and collapsed down.


Slayer groaned. He's still alive? Well, it was less than ten meters.


Harry lifted his wand to end it... but he hesitated. During the fight he had aimed to kill his uncle but, now when he had him at his mercy, he found himself unable to do so. The Death Eaters he had killed in the ministry had all been just nameles and faceless terrorists. Also, he had been protecting Nymphadora. This man, Daniel Evans, was his uncle, his only remaining relative in addition of Dursleys.


His training screamed to kill the Evans. Since he had been little he had been indoctrinated to despise Death Eaters and all they stand for. But now, when he had touched his enemy's humanity, he found himself lacking stomach to do the deed. But if he handed him over to Aurors, his uncle would undoubtedly tell them everything about him. Then they would be forced to investigate him, and that is something he could live without.


"Morsmorde," Slayer suddenly mumbled and vanished with soft pop. Harry blinked. So, he had had a portkey? It was the first time he had heard anyone using an incantation as a command word. But then, he was a muggle and thus there was no chance of accidentally saying it.


But how could he have a portkey that worked in Hogwarts? Only portkeys created by Hogwarts faculty operate within Hogwarts' wards. So, which of them is the traitor? Probably Snape, that arrogant git.


Suddenly a human-sized ball of flames appeared with a whooshing sound. The flames quickly died out and a feminine figure, dressed in white and wearing a white mask, was standing where the flames had been a second ago. The only thing not white he could see was her silvery-blue dragonhide vest, that was glinting through the opening of her white cloak.


She watched him appraisingly for few second before voicing her opinion. "You are a mess."


Harry blinked. "Really, I wonder why I didn't notice that, Salamander," he answered with a voice dripping sarcasm. Salamander was a rare fire-snake that lived in Amazon forest. Harry thought it was an apt alias for her as she was a Pyromagus and had been sorted into Slytherin.


Harry's own codename -Dark Knight- was a some sort of joke. He was the Boy Who Lived, the supposed saviour of the Wizarding word. He had been portrayed as a knight in shining armour. But little did the Wizarding world know about him...


She let out a short laugh. "Anyway, we were supposed to meet on the top of Astronomy Tower, not bottom it."


"Yeah, well... As you see I had minor problems getting there. So, anything new?"


"Nope, nothing is happening, except that our house was raided by Aurors. Of course they couldn't find any evidence and our alibis were perfect. Too perfect, actually, but it is not like they can prove anything. You?"


"I gave the Horcrux to Dumbledore. Hopefully he can destroy it. And my uncle just tried to kill me."


"Your uncle?"


"Yeah," Harry said. "Daniel Evans. A muggle and Death Eater."


"A muggle Death Eater?" she asked incredulously. Harry had to admit it sounded bit farfetched. It was like a rip-off from Super Muggle comic.


"It seems so," he said, shrugging his shoulders. "Speaking of Voldemort's lackeys, there is a Death Eater employed in Hogwarts."


"Who?" she asked. "And don't say His name."


Harry grinned. "You contradict yourself."


She blinked and quickly re-examined her earlier words. "Very funny, Darky. You know what I mean."


"Well, yeah, but it was funny nevertheless," Harry said with amused smile. "And I don't know who the Death Eater is."


*


Ginny watched in amazement as white clad woman appeared in a flash of fire. The wards around Hogwarts should prevent you from Apparating. But then again, that probably wasn't Apparation. She should ask Hermione later about that.


She couldn't hear what they were saying and she didn't have any Extendable Ears with her at the moment.


Suddenly the woman burst in flames and vanished. Harry stood up and started to walk towards the Main Gate. Or at least she thought that he was going to the Main Gate. If she was quick she would be there before Harry. She turned to leave...


And she saw the Headmaster standing few feet away of her. He was looking very worried and older than she remembered.


"Ah, hello miss Weasley," he said watching her intently through his half-moon spectacles, before adding conversationally, "you can see quite a spectacular scenery through that window, don't you agree?"


"Professor, I...Harry..." she stammered.


"It's alright," Headmaster said his eyes twinkling, even when his face remained sombre. "Did you see the intruder?"


--------------------------------------------------------

Author's Notes: Usually Harry hires a bunch of muggle specialist that kill Death Eaters with firearms. In this fic I went pretty much on the opposite. Hopefully it is little less clichéd.

'Uncle Slayer' is taken from the Wheel of Time. And before somebody asks, 'Dark Knight' isn't taken from the Stranger Trilogy or from whatever fic it might have been used before. It is taken from Batman...

I'm quite sure that some of you hate me for the semi-Harry/Ginny in this chapter. But remember Harry isn't doing it because he likes her, but because she has something he wants.
Sign up to rate and review this story