Categories > Anime/Manga > Naruto > Return of the Lost Son

The Young Genius

by EC1231 0 reviews

The stranger enters town undisturbed and meets a young man who he does not trust at the local ramen shop.

Category: Naruto - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure - Characters: Kakashi, Yondaime - Published: 2006-11-08 - Updated: 2006-11-08 - 710 words

-1Boring
"Remember to mind your manners and respect the village, stranger," someone called out to him.

The stranger turned slightly to see a grinning guard at the gate.

"Hmpf...manners and respect are two things Konoha knows nothing about," he thought to himself as he made his way through the village's busy streets. If all it took was a reminder from a lackey standing at the gates to remind the villagers of manners and respect, he might not have had to run away from Konoha. On the bright side, if they weren't cold and rude to him 5 years ago, he wouldn't have the pleasure of enacting his revenge now. "I'll make them pay for everything. No one will be spared from my wrath, not a villager, not a shinobi."

There was one person, however, who would be exempt from his retribution, the one person who made his time in the village worth the looks and whispers -- Namiko. And if he could convince her to leave Konoha with him, maybe he would put off his plans for the time being. Yes, if she came with him, they could travel across the country together, settle down outside another village, and raise a family together. She was the only reason that he was bothering with this undercover venture. Without her, he would have started his plan as soon as he saw the gates. Now, the only thing to do was to make his way to her house and drop in for a quick hello.

Luckily for him, things had not changed much since he left. Stores were still stores, selling the same trinkets; homes were still homes, sheltering the same spoiled villagers. If his memory was right, he would be at her front door very soon. But then, an unexpected yet familiar and tantalizing aroma filled his nose, triggering memories of deep bowls of steaming pork ramen. He followed the smell until he had tracked it to its source - Ichiraku Ramen Bar.

"I have time for a quick bite," he said to himself as he pulled out one of the stools and sat. In all his travels, he had never come across a ramen shop that matched Ichiraku, and he made a quick mental note that Ichiraku might be another fortunate soul that would not feel his vengeance. "One bowl of pork ramen, sir," he called out from under his hood, careful to not reveal himself just yet.

"Yes, right away, stranger," the owner replied while simultaneously preparing the food.

"Make that two bowls, Teuchi-san," another voice said.

"Ah yes, Kakashi. No training today?"

"Not today. We have," Kakashi started to say before he thought better, "um excuse me, I have other matters to take care of."

The stranger peeked out from under his dusty blue cape to sneak a quick look at the newcomer, only to meet his glance, literally eye to eye. From what he could see, the boy was in his early teens but with hair as gray as someone's grandfather. He wore his forehead protector angled, so that it covered one of his eyes, and the neck of his shirt was pulled up that it covered the lower half of his face. While he couldn't be sure, something inside told him that the teen was no ordinary teen and more dangerous than he let on. As much as he tried, it was a feeling he could not shake. He slowly returned to looking down at the counter top, and decided he no longer felt like having ramen while that boy, skilled or not, was sitting with him.

"Thank you for you hospitality, sir, but I must get going," The stranger shot another quick glance at the gray-haired teen, and found him to be nose deep in a book, oblivious to the world around him. "But, if he wants, please give my order to this young man. After all, a growing shinobi needs his protein."

The stranger put down enough money to cover his tab and the boy's. The boy turned to the stranger, and although the mask hid the lower part of his face, the stranger could tell he was smiling. He then resumed reading his book.

The stranger left the ramen shop and continued on his journey to Namiko's.
Sign up to rate and review this story