Categories > Original > Drama > The Lost Angels

The Lost Angels

by ApirlRoshel 0 reviews

Harmony had never asked for much, only a boyfriend who treated her right. Micheal did more than that.So why can't she stop thinking about his best friend?

Category: Drama - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst, Drama, Romance - Published: 2005-07-15 - Updated: 2005-07-16 - 1267 words

0Unrated
The Lost Angels

Prologue

"You look beautiful tonight, Mony," a voice whispered in her ear.

Harmony looked down into the glass that she held in her hands.

"What's that supposed to mean? That I don't look beautiful all the time?"

He placed a hand on the bottom of her stomach and pressed her closer to him. She stiffened and he laughed at her tenseness.

"You know what I mean."

Harmony pulled away and walked to the giant fish tank that was built inside the wall. She wasn't staring at the exotic fish long before she felt his presence again. Agitation twisted up inside her causing her grasp on her glasstighten. To calm herself, she took a drink. She found it bitter.

"I haven't seen you around lately," he said suddenly.

Her eyes remained on the fish. "So?" she shot out.

"I just missed you, that's all."
Harmony's heart soften a little, but she didn't relent.

"Don't think I didn't see your date," she spoke evenly. "What's her name--Charlotte Mourning. She looks beautiful all the time."

She turned to see his face. It was as blank as the glass tank. But his sea green eyes looked fierce. She turned her attention back to the swimming beauties, a soft smile on her lips.

"She doesn't mean a thing. Besides, she with Micheal."

A chord in her heart stroke a wrong note. Micheal?

"My Micheal?" she asked quietly.

"Our Micheal. Don't worry, it's just a crush. He still worships you."

She heard the laughter and mockery in his voice, hating the fact that he found joy from her misery. And she deserved it, what Micheal was doing. It was karma.

"I wish he didn't," she stated tonelessly. "It would have made it easier. Not that it was right," she added as an afterthought. "It was vile, dirty, satanic-"

"-cheerless-"

"-stupid-"

"-stubborn, mean-"

"-rude, lustful-"

"-I'll always remember it."

"Wish I could forget."

"You don't mean that, Mona."

She looked at him and was quickly swallowed up in sea green.

"You know what I mean."

He stared at her for a moment, then turned back to the tank.

"You do look beautiful all the time. Only tonight you actually look happy."

"You make me sad," she replied, turning her back to the tank.

"Only because I care for you."

"Just because."

Music floated into the almost empty room. A melancholy love song. Harmony felt his hand guide it's way into hers. She turned to him.

"The reception. They're probably looking for us."

"Probably." She bit her lip. "Do we have to go down there?"

He laughed. She forced a small smile in reply.

"You'd rather stay up here with me than see your sister have her first dance as Mrs. Harry Robert Cornet?"

Her smile deepened. "More than anything. Weddings always make me cry."

He shook his head and lead her out of the room. As they scurried down the spiral staircase, Harmony noticed a certain couple dancing among several others, her sister and new brother included, on the large ballroom floor below. Her heart twisted in agony. Without a word, she tore away from Randy and sped dangerously down the rest of the stairs. When she reached the freshly waxed marble-like floor, she had to push through crowds of people to get to the part of the room where he danced with /her/. She stopped when she stood along the edge of the crowd that surrounded the dancers.

They were so close to where Harmony stood that she could reached out a hand and touched him. But all she wanted to do was rip Charlotte What's-her-face away from him. He was in love with the red haired beauty queen, Harmony felt it. /He wanted her/. Harmony crumbled, trembled, her mind was amok. Was this fate, was it even right? She didn't want to think about it. It felt as if her heart was on fire. Micheal, Micheal, Micheal.

Unconsciously, she said, "Micheal."

He looked at her and the laughter died from his perfect brown eyes.

"Harmony." His voice sounded hard in her eyes. Charlotte turned her gaze on her and smiled warmly.

"Hey, Harmony. We all missed you at the weddin'," she said in a mild Southern accent.

Harmony looked from her to Micheal. Then she faltered. She turned away from them in despair only to come face to face with Randy. The worried expression on his face didn't faze her. She pushed past him ant the rest of the crowd. She made her way to the refreshments where she grabbed a bottle of wine then she left the room and went outside.

It was a pretty night: dark, without moon or stars. Only thick, dark blue clouds floated in the sky. Sitting under the weeping willow that was rooted on the side of the house, Harmony looked up at the heavens, waiting for God to strike her down with lightning. When He didn't, she took a swig of wine, deciding to drink herself to death. The world was an empty place when Micheal McDall didn't love you.

"Screw you , world," she screamed into the peaceful night. Crying now, she drank again from the bottle. "I don't need you!"

"But you need him."

Harmony jumped and looked up.

"You followed me," she stated calmly. She scrubbed the tears from her face. They were unwelcome here.

Randy squatted down next to her.

"You look like hell, Mona" he said softly.

She wanted to give him the finger but the look in his eyes made her reconsider. Instead, she told him:

"You sure came at the worst time to gloat."

His face altered for a moment, then returned to it's previous state.

"I didn't come here to freakin' gloat. I came because...I was worried about you."

Harmony stared at him. "Yeah?"

"Hell yeah."

She laughed, amused. "Depressed over Charlotte, huh?" She shook her bottle of wine. "Don't worry, I'll share some wine with you."

"Dammit, Mona," he yelled. "I don't care about her. It's you, it's always be-"

"Randy," Harmony spoke quietly. He waited expectantly. She didn't disappoint him. "If I hadn't been Micheal's already would you have still kissed me in the rain that night?"

Randy stared blankly at her, then looked away.

"Oh god," she whispered. "Now that Micheal doesn't want me, you won't have anything to do with me."

With a groan, he stood up and started to walk away. Hurriedly, Harmony went after him. She grabbed his wrist with her unoccupied hand and attempted to turn him around. He tore away from her and turned himself around.

"Is that what you think of me, Harmony?"

"What else is there to think?" she asked stupidly, scared of the way he looked at her.

"All this time and you didn't know?"

"Know what? You never told me anything."

"I have to tell you everything, girl?"

Harmony fell silent, and looked at the professionally mowed lawn. The bottled dangled forgotten at her side.

"If Micheal would have talked nothing but shit about you, I still would've kissed you. It didn't matter, Mona. I didn't care."

Breathlessly, she sank to the ground. Randy sat down, reluctantly, beside her. It took her a while to look at him. When she did, she was captured by his sea green. He opened his mouth to say something, but she stopped him by giving him an expressive kiss. She broke away first and rested her head on his quickly moving chest, listening to his rapidly beating heart.

"I love him so damn much," she whispered, crying silently.

----------------------------------------------------
A/N Love is an emotional thing.

Sign up to rate and review this story