Categories > Books > Harry Potter > What Now, Severus?

A Magical Sleepover Party

by Emilie_D 1 review

Harry, Ron and Hermione bring Ginny to visit Zelda.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Romance - Characters: Harry - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2006-11-11 - Updated: 2006-11-11 - 3243 words - Complete

1Original
After Zelda had dried her eyes, she brought out the Muggle Studies materials and the two books she'd brought back from Hogwarts. Molly watched with interest as she laid out her materials on the table under the trees.

"When I was a student at Hogwarts there was not a Muggle Studies course," she said. "May I look at the old outline?"

"Of course," Zelda replied, forcing her worried mind to the problem at hand. "Actually, I think you're a good person for me to talk with about this. Take a look at the outline and tell me if you think anything important is missing."

While Molly read, Zelda glanced through the old Muggle Studies text with interest, occasionally frowning. When Molly looked up at last, Zelda asked, "What do you think?"

"It seems muddled to me," she replied. "There's a lot about mechanical sorts of things, and while Arthur is fascinated by those things, I think it misses the point. It all seems so disconnected, as though we don't all live on the same planet."

Zelda chuckled. "I'd bet any money this course was designed by a man," she said cynically. "Your reaction is the same as mine, and it's giving me some ideas to explore." She rose and went into the cabin, returning with a small black suitcase. "Here's a piece of Muggle magic, Molly," she murmured.

Molly stared curiously at a flat plastic object in her hands, which opened up to reveal several rows of tiny squares with letters printed on them.

Zelda pushed a button and a small chime rang out. "This is a laptop computer," she said. "Among other things, I use it to write and save things to print out later."

Molly's eyes were wide as a bright blue screen glowed dimly in the shade. "How does it work?" she asked, fascinated.

"That's the hilarious part of living in the Muggle world," she replied drolly. "There are Muggles who create and improve every area of technology. But for me, it might as well be magic, because I simply want it to work. I could find you Muggle computer designers who know how it works, but it's extremely complicated." She opened a new document and titled it, /Muggle Studies 1/.

"Arthur would love to see this," Molly said. "I don't know if he has any idea about laptop computers. He's fascinated by plugs and things." She saw that Zelda was becoming engrossed in her own thoughts and realized she had things to do.

"You don't have to stay and hold my hand," Zelda said. "But thank you for staying until he left. Why don't you talk with Minerva and Arthur about having Ginny come here when it's too dangerous at Hogwarts. If they both agree, you should bring her here to see the place. She doesn't seem like a trusting soul, and she'll have to be willing to stay with me or it'll be a disaster."

"I'll try to come back later today," Molly said, rising. "I look forward to seeing what you do with Muggle Studies." She stepped back from the table and Disapparated.

Zelda began writing basic concepts she thought should be covered in the course, pausing from time to time, thinking intently. At one point during the afternoon she was shocked by the ringing phone and ran to answer it.

"Hey, Zel," Michael said breezily, "How's life in isolation?"

"It's fine, I'm finally starting work on the Muggle Studies course. How's it going with you? I hear you met with Minerva already."

Michael's smirk was almost visible through the phone. "It was incredible, Zel, she's a tough old broad, and amazingly smart too. She kept me on my toes."

"Good thing she can't hear your description of her or you might become another life form," she said warningly. They chatted about this and that for a few minutes, just pleased to be talking together. "It's good to hear your voice, Michael. When are you coming back?"

"I'm working tonight, tomorrow night and then I have three days off. I'll be back then and we'll catch up."

"Great. Thanks for calling," she said. "Give my love to the girls."

"Okay, I will," he replied. "See ya soon."

"Bye, Michael," she said, feeling a bit homesick after she'd hung up the phone.

She returned to her work, and several hours later realized she had missed lunch completely. The weather was so fine that she brought a sandwich out to the table and kept working intently until the early evening.

A sudden loud pop heralded the arrival of a small herd of magical guests. Zelda looked up and saw that Molly, Ginny and the other three kids were there, looking around. They all started toward her, and she stood up, stretching, and then went to receive them.

Harry got to her first and smiled as he gave her a quick hug. She returned it, wondering at his uncharacteristic boldness. Next were Hermione and Ron, and each of them smiled as she hugged them. "It's so good to see you again," she said, happy to have company. It felt fine to have kids around again, she thought. She stepped over to Ginny, who had watched the others narrowly. "Hey, Ginny, I'm glad you're here," she said warmly, holding out her hand.

The red haired girl took it, saying, "Thanks for letting me come."

Zelda smiled at Molly, and said, "I don't suppose you can Conjure food for all of us, can you? I haven't eaten much today and I'm starving."

Ron spoke up hastily. "Zelda, let's have pizza again, like before! It's incredibly good."

She laughed, charmed by his enthusiasm. "Is that okay with the rest of you?"

Harry and Hermione nodded enthusiastically. Molly and Ginny both looked agreeable.

"This'll take Wizard-Muggle cooperation," she said. "Ron, will you go to Michael's, if he's there? He'll help us. Here, let me give him a call." Zelda led them into the cabin and phoned Michael while they all watched. After her call was completed, she said, "He's leaving for work in two hours, but he's happy to do it. Apparate to his back garden."

Ron grinned. He loved this Muggle stuff, and said impulsively, "Ginny, want to come along? You have to meet Michael."

Molly clucked disapprovingly. "She's too young to Apparate, Ronald."

He frowned in disbelief. "Mum! I can do Side-Along, you know. We have to hurry, please let her come along."

Ginny looked cynically at her mother, who looked helplessly at Zelda.

"Please, Molly?" Zelda murmured mockingly. "Why don't they all go? We can have a bit of peace before dinner."

"Oh, all right, but behave yourselves," Molly said sternly.

"We will," Ginny said, smiling angelically.

The four stepped back a bit and disappeared, leaving a vast silence in their wake. The two women sank into chairs, staring ruefully at each other.

"Ginny doesn't know everything about what they're doing, does she?" Zelda asked.

"No, and that's part of my problem," Molly said morosely. "She can't know what Harry is searching for, and she mustn't know about the attack that's coming to Hogwarts. She believes she should be in the thick of this war."

"A girl with confidence is a wonder to behold, but under the circumstances, the less people who know the safer it is for all of you," Zelda said sympathetically. "She knows about Severus. She won't say anything, will she?"

"I don't believe she will, but she has a temper," Molly said. "I hate to say it about a child of mine, but if she lets something slip, impulsively..."

"We all make mistakes, but hopefully that won't be the one she makes," Zelda said gently. "I'm glad you brought the others along. Let's have fun while we can, okay?" At Molly's hopeful nod, she smiled. "I'm glad all of you are here, because I want to consult about Muggle Studies, and I need some magical consultants to discuss things with."

"I'd love to," Molly responded. She found Zelda's enthusiasm infectious, and enlarged the table, Summoned dishes from the cabin and set the table. By the time the young people returned she was in much better spirits.

The group reappeared smiling broadly and all carrying various things. Ginny set pizza boxes down on the table, and Ron added salad, soda, and a bottle of wine. Harry was holding a bakery box, and he Conjured a small table to set it on. Hermione... Zelda realized she was holding several thick books, and she ignored the food as she almost leaped on the girl.

"Hermione, did he really get the books I want?" Zelda said delightedly. "Let me see!"

In the short time since he had called her, Michael had obviously gone to her house and collected the history books she'd said she wanted. Zelda smiled at Hermione, and said, "I'm working on Muggle Studies at last, and I hope you'll all give me some input."

Hermione's eyes lit up. "We'd love to... or at least I'd love to, and the others will help too," she said mischievously. "I have some ideas, Zelda."

"And I'd love to hear them," Zelda said enthusiastically. She turned around and saw the boys rolling their eyes. "You know boys, there are those who're great thinkers, and those who clean the kitchen. Which do you want to be?"

They all laughed and sat down to eat. Harry and Ron served the food, and Harry opened the wine bottle with a flourish, presenting Molly and Zelda each with a full glass. He then opened the soda and poured out for the girls, which made everyone laugh.

In the midst of the laughter and conversation, Zelda was relieved to see that Ginny was happy and relaxed, but she noticed that Harry seemed very quiet when he wasn't making an effort to keep everyone else happy.

Zelda opened the bakery box and found a splendid chocolate gateau. "Ahh..." she breathed ecstatically. "This requires coffee, don't you think, Molly?"

"I'd like coffee," Molly replied, "but who'll make it?" she asked innocently.

"Would anyone like to learn to make really good coffee?" Zelda asked, rising from the table.

"I'll help you make coffee," Harry volunteered, standing up and following her.

"Outstanding, Harry," she said impishly. "You're so Chosen, young man. Let's go. Ron, you can cut yourself a small sliver of cake and leave a huge piece for me."

As they walked away from the others, she caught Harry's eye. "Are you okay?" she asked softly.

He hesitated; he didn't know Zelda that well, but he'd volunteered to make coffee with her, hoping she'd ask. "I dunno..." he faltered, then as they entered the cabin he said explosively, "I hate all this! I hate my whole bloody life, Zelda!" He stood stiffly before her, staring at the floor.

"Ah, Goddess, Harry," Zelda said sadly, "Your life sucks in many ways, and you have every right to be angry about that fact. If I tell you to concentrate on the good things, you'd want to hit me and I don't blame you. What's bothering you?" As she spoke she poured coffee beans into a small electric grinder. She ground them noisily.

Harry watched her pour water into the coffee maker and then add measured spoonfuls of coffee. She flipped the switch and motioned him to sit across from her.

"I saw Professor Dumbledore's portrait today," he said dully. "It's like he's alive, but... I know he's not. He couldn't answer my questions. I don't know what to do, Zelda. I'm not fit to go up against Voldemort."

Zelda's heart was wrung, seeing the boy so defeated and miserable. "Harry," she began gently, putting her hand over his, "you're not alone in this. You have some amazing people on your side. Take it one step at a time, and between those steps, try to relax and have fun."

She stood up and went around to the cupboard, and impulsively hugged him when he stood up. He hugged her hard in return, and she realized how alone he was.

When he released her, Zelda turned back to get coffee cups and casually said, "Will you tell me about Ginny?"

Harry stiffened in outrage. "What about her?" he asked defensively.

Zelda turned around and smiled wickedly at him. "She's a very pretty girl," she offered provocatively.

"How do you know?" he asked indignantly. "Ron didn't..." he stopped as he realized. "Professor Snape," he said firmly.

"Well, duh," she said ironically. "So why'd you two break up?"

"If Voldemort knew I cared about her, he'd go after her. I can't let that happen," he said painfully.

"Harry, she can't go with you and your friends on the Horcrux hunt, but she's hurt and she worries about you. Don't go through life alone if you don't have to."

The coffee was ready and she put it on the tray. Harry Levitated the tray with a smile, and they returned to the others. The mood was lighter as they ate dessert, and they sat a long time in the cool evening, avoiding serious subjects altogether.

"How long can you all stay?" Zelda asked. Severus would not be amused, but she felt it was important to keep Harry's spirits up. Also, something told her that Harry needed to reinforce his belief in Severus. "Would you like to stay overnight?"

The three looked at each other happily.

"There's no TV here," Zelda warned. "Therefore, no Nintendo."

"It's okay," Harry assured her. "Hey, can Ginny stay too?" He looked hopefully from Zelda to Molly.

Zelda looked questioningly at Molly. "It's fine with me," she offered.

"Can I /please/, Mum?" Ginny asked enthusiastically.

"I'll be back tomorrow, and then we must pack for our move to Hogwarts," she warned.

Ginny was so excited that Harry wanted her to stay that she no longer cared about moving to Hogwarts. "I'll help you, Mum, don't worry," she proclaimed cheerfully.

Molly laughed at the change in her volatile daughter. "Very well. I'll hold you to that, young woman," she threatened. She kissed her daughter, who looked a bit disgruntled, and moved on to kiss each of the others in turn. "Behave yourselves," she said sternly.

Zelda walked out with her. "Should I feel outnumbered?" she asked.

"This is nothing," Molly replied with the casual air of the mother of a large family. "Zelda, what did you say to Harry?" she asked.

"He's been alone for so much of his life, Molly, and he's terrified. I told him not to push everyone away from him, and suggested that he try to grab some time to be happy in between heroic acts. Or words to that effect," she said. "But don't start planning the wedding, because they're both bloody strong-minded, and he won't let her be involved like Ron and Hermione, so she's going to be mad."

"Thank you," Molly said, impulsively hugging Zelda. "I'll be back tomorrow to rescue you."

"Not too early," Zelda said. They're going to be up late tonight, and between you and me, I think Harry wants to catch a glimpse of Severus."

Molly was speechless. She goggled at Zelda in amazement.

As they drew close to where Molly would Disapparate, Zelda whispered, "The two of them are a disaster together, but discovering that Severus is on his side has comforted Harry. Of course he'd die before admitting it, so we'll all play the game for a bit." She smiled. "Give my regards to Arthur, Molly. Bye."

Molly disappeared, and Zelda walked back to the cabin to visit a bit with her young guests.

Ron's voice assaulted her ears as she entered the cabin. "Harry, I can't believe you didn't notice how this place was modified. It's incredible. I thought we'd be fighting to see who got the couch and who got the floor."

"I wasn't thinking about that stuff, and I was only in the kitchen before," Harry said.

The girls turned around guiltily, having been staring into Zelda and Severus's luxurious room, and been caught in the act by their Muggle hostess.

"What do you think?" Zelda asked mischievously.

"It's absolutely gorgeous," Ginny pronounced. "Did Professor Snape do it?"

Zelda nodded. "This place wasn't designed for comfort, it's a weekend hunting shack. Since I'm staying here for so long, this summer, and we knew there might be guests, he expanded it."

"What happens if you get a rainstorm and he's not here?" Hermione asked practically.

"I asked that same thing," Zelda chuckled. "He didn't tell me what he did, but he assured me that even if the weather changes, we'll still be fine."

"Have you seen him recently? Is he okay?" asked Harry softly, striving to sound casual.

"I hope that he'll be back here by the morning," Zelda replied with a slight smile. "If he is, I beg you, don't torment him. I'll defend him from you savages creatures, if necessary, but he'll be humiliated if I have to do it."

"Sn... er, /Professor Snape/?" Ginny asked mockingly. "You /are funny/, Zelda."

"He knows perfectly well that I won't let him hex any of you," she said firmly, "although I might be able to turn away for a second, if I think you deserve it. So behave yourselves."

The other three watched this interplay with some amusement. It was fascinating to watch Snape with Zelda, and they couldn't wait to see what Ginny would think.

"What do you want to do now?" Zelda asked. "I'm tired and plan to go to bed in an hour or so. You can all do whatever you want. Michael's land is warded, so you can explore a little if you'd like."

"Zelda, can we teach Ginny to shoot tomorrow?" Hermione asked. "I wish we could take her to Karaoke."

Zelda had to laugh. These were such nice kids, and she wanted to cry when she realized that they were in mortal danger. "Ginny can definitely try shooting, but I don't know what's going to happen tomorrow, so I don't know when it'll be convenient. I'm going out to collect my books and computer now. I can't believe I abandoned my laptop outside."

Hermione giggled. "Zelda... you're like my parents, you just can't think magically, can you?" She flicked her wand and all of Zelda's books, papers and her computer appeared on the battered coffee table. The laptop case lay on the floor below.

"Thanks, Hermione," Zelda said. "I never claimed to be able to grasp magic, did I? Listen, why don't you kids go out and learn the lay of the land. I have a few nagging ideas that I want to get down and save before I quit working on this tonight."

"Okay, let's go check it out," Harry said, looking better than he had earlier. "Hey, is there a chance that anyone's out shooting? Michael said to be careful out here."

"Wards, remember? This area's now free of poachers," Hermione said. "We'll see you in a bit, Zelda."

She led the others toward the door, and Zelda was free to get make her notes, and rough out a course outline. Surrounded by books, she flipped through one after another, marking passages and typing furiously at times. She didn't notice when her young guests returned, and they wisely chose not to interrupt her concentration. She managed to get her work to a point where she was comfortable putting it aside, before she shut down her computer and dragged herself off to bed.
Sign up to rate and review this story