Categories > Anime/Manga > Yu Yu Hakusho > Soul mates

Soul mates

by CrimsonInHumanBlood

After the death of his soul mate, Yoko Kurama is left deviastated and heads to another world where he is reborn into Suichi Minamino, who still suffers the loss of his mate. But what happens when o...

Category: Yu Yu Hakusho - Rating: NC-17 - Genres: Angst, Drama, Romance - Characters: Kurama, Other - Warnings: [!] [X] - Published: 2006-11-20 - Updated: 2006-11-20 - 2978 words

?Blocked
Disclaimer: I do not own YuYu Hakusho, nor any of the characters from it. I do not make any money from the writing of this story.


Soul Mates



A/n: So this will be totally different from my InuYasha stories that I'm so used to doing but I really want to do this. I hope you enjoy it.

For those who are a fan of my work, you may join my Yahoo group and get updates, previews, and art before they even come out!!!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CrimsonInHumanBlood_Fictions_etc/

Chapter: Prologue: The dream

Suichi, also known as Kurama, sighed depressingly to himself as he sat at his desk in his room. He was working on his homework and was on the last page of his math. Leaning back in his swivel desk chair he got up to stretch his legs. He had had a long night and was ready for bed.

A sudden tapping at his window caused him to turn around to find who was tapping. It was no surprise when he saw his good friend Hiei sitting on one of the branches that came ever so close to his window. It allowed Hiei to reach out to the glass and rap on it softly.

Kurama smiled, Hiei and himself had gone out a few times only to break up weeks after due to Kurama's link to his previous life's his soul mate who had been killed ruthlessly by another group of dirty humans who had set a trap for them. Hiei understood completely; they loved each other, just not to the level of love that soul mates had.

Going over to the window in front of his desk he opened it and quickly moved his math papers and books out of the way so Hiei wouldn't smudge them with dirt, placing them off to the side. "Hello, Hiei. What brings you here tonight?" Kurama asked, stepping out of the way as Hiei hopped down from the desk and allowed Kurama to close the window behind him.

"Nothing really, Fox. Just came to see how you were. I haven't seen you in a few days and I was thinking maybe you wanted to take a break from school to go out tomorrow."

Kurama shook his red head. "Sorry Hiei, I have an examination in biology tomorrow. And you know how I would never miss that. But I would love to go out tomorrow afterwards if that's alright?"

Hiei snorted to himself. He knew of course the fox was really into his education and like the fox demon he was, he loved to learn. "Alright, I could wait for you while you finish and then we can go out."

"Where would we be going anyways?" Kurama asked watching Hiei sit on the edge of his crimson bedspread.

Hiei gave a nonchalant shrug. "Maybe we can go to the ice cream parlor and then a walk through the park."

"Are you asking me out on another date?"

"No, I just want to get out. Makai is a bit boring for the moment. Nothing is really going on, surprisingly." Hiei rolled his crimson eyes before continuing. "And of course I know you're not quite over him, Kurama, I won't be asking you out until you're ready to move on." Hiei knew that somehow, Kurama wouldn't ever be ready to move on and no one could replace the love that was lost 18 and a half years ago.

"Well if you put it that way, I guess that sounds good, besides it will do me some good getting out of the house and it will keep me busy. I will pick you up after school near the park, no?" Kurama asked with a fake smile on his face.

"No, I will just meet you at the front gates of the school. I'll talk to you later Kurama, I have to head out. Good night," he said quickly as he made for the window again.

"Good night, Hiei," Kurama said as he watched his friend climb out of the window and leap to the branch. Kurama moved to the window to close it just as Hiei disappeared from sight. "Guess it is back to math."

Kurama sat down back at his desk, picked up the papers that were set to the side and began to work on the last page of the math packet that was due tomorrow. It was already late. He should have been in his bed resting at 10:00; already it was nearly 11:00. He had been taking too many breaks and now he would be feeling it in the morning when he had to rise at 5:30 to shower and get ready.

Quickly working through the problems he set them aside and went to off from his clothes which were thrown into a hamper in the corner. Like most males at his age or any age, he slept naked as it was comfortable and untangled. Before going over to the bed to climb into it and sleep he picked up the square paddle brush and went to stand in front of a long mirror that was in his opened closet.

Looking over his delicate yet muscular form he starred at the faint 'birthmark' on his lower neck that resembled teeth marks. His mark. Kurama knew it would be there forever. Whether his mate was alive or dead it would stay there to show anyone he chose to mate with that he was already mated permanently with his soul mate.

The Fox youkai knew that he could probably move on to another mate, but it would kill him most likely. And that "kill" wasn't a metaphoric expression. It was true. It could kill him. It could slowly do it by driving him insane or becoming so depressed that he took his own life. And he did not need to be any more depressed than he already was.

Throughout his short life so far the past 6 years had been hellish. And the last 4 were just as bad because around 13 years of age he had come into his first heat. Being without his true mate to relieve such hellish fevers and raging kitsune hormones drove Kurama to tears. And every year up till now had seemed to grow worse. Now his mating season was approaching which was causing him to be further depressed, because he knew that there was very little he could do about the heat which was coming.

Setting down the brush, Kurama went to the door and turned off the lights and then went to climb into bed. This time Kurama closed his eyes to sleep and hoped that he wouldn't dream the dream he'd have every so often of the dreaded night in Makai. Before he drifted off he whispered, "I miss you so much, mate..."

~:Dream:~

Youko flicked his tail watching his mate just on the branch above. They were looking at the humans camped out just outside their territory's border. They posed a threat as well as the possibility of being victims of theft as they carried some ancient treasure that was going to be relocated to another location just on the other side of their territory.

The humans wanted to chance their luck on going through and, instead of going around, facing the thick dangerous forest on the east and west borders. From the looks of it they were hoping to negotiate them with the treasure and hope that they might be allowed to pass.

But the legendary Youko Kurama and his mate would not stand for such. They would take it all. However, they would wait until the humans passed their border.

"What do you think, darling?" the kitsune's mate asked, looking down at a twitchy kitsune. "We could go get it now. It would sound like a better idea than to have them trespass, and then we can kill them."

Youko leap to the branch above and pinned his lover against the rough bark of the tree. Youko ground his erection into his lover's hips. Sharp fangs nipped at his mate's lower lip. "The thought's exciting."

"You know how much I love that? And how much I love how you think?"

The fox chuckled, trailing his sharp claw down the elf like ear that was pierced with three rings in a row at the base of where the harder cartilage started, sending chills down his partner. "Of course, that is why I do it. And two great mates think alike."

"You know, I will always love you no matter what? That I will always come back to you somehow; in one way, shape, form or size?" he didn't know why he said that but he wanted to say it right there.

"I know, and I will always find you. Somehow."

His dark hair partner smiled. "Now, let's get going."

Flash to another scene:

"Shit! We've got to move!" Youko's mate said as he grabbed a gunny sack full of stolen goods and ran for it as he saw the humans turn on them, firing poisonous arrows their way.

Youko Kurama cursed as one of the arrows just missed his ear. It appeared that they had underestimated their opponent. But then again, they should have never underestimated a human as they were quite the race. "Yes, let's get out of here before something worse goes bad."

The kitsune's mate swung his chained blade just as some more of the humans appeared with a variety of weapons in their hands. The blade swung; decapitating several of the humans coming at them. The pair was not the type to run but sometimes it was necessary. But they would not do so without any fights.

Withdrawing a single seed from the long mane of sliver hair, Youko whipped his hand down, instantly converting the seed to a long thorny whip with a silver tinted white rose at the end. The kitsune cracked his whip threateningly as it caught one of the humans and sliced him down the middle into two pieces, cleanly. Smirking, he looked around at the humans. "Anyone else wish to die?"

Looking over his shoulder he could see his mate holding his chain-blade up in warning. Now no one dared to move. "Anyone?" his mate echoed.

The humans looked at one another before backing off slowly.

Taking the sack as it was time to go, the two backed out from the horseshoe formation of humans and started down the path that led to their forest on the edge of the southern border.

Youko shifted into his fox form as he followed alongside of his mate; the bag of goods safely in his jaws. This form was far swifter and it helped him dodge anything that was to be shot at him. It was also his preferred form because rarely was he suspected to be a demon and it was easy to get around.

Looking up at his mate who grinned at him, "You're so unpredictable, Youko."

Looking ahead they saw the border of their forest. Youko took the lead. His paws hit some suspicious hollow ground. Suddenly as he quickly passed over it with ease he did a jump and flip motion so he found himself looking to his mate who was coming straight for him into the forest.

Youko let out a screech and some barks for his mate to stop but it was too late. His mate, who was far heavier than himself in his kitsune form, met the pit. Having no time to try to escape the fall he plunged into the bamboo spikes. That suddenly triggered a rack of spikes to come falling down from the canopy of the trees.

Youko watched in utter horror as his mate was impaled with spikes. Shifting out of his fox form he ran over to the pit. "No!!!" he screamed, reaching out his hand to his mate who was slowly dying as the spikes must have missed most of his vital organs. It wasn't enough damage to cause him a quick death. Now he watched his mate die in front of him.

"It burns!" he screamed.

'Why would it burn?' he asked himself amongst the cries. It should be hurting more than burning. Glancing over to the other spikes that had not touched his partner, they looked like they were coated in a bluish green poison.

How cruel was this?

"Oh my gods! I'm so sorry!" he cried out, trying to get into the pit safely.

"No! You can't! Run! Save yourself! I'm too far gone..." his mate's voice was choked as blood exited his mouth and nose.

"I want to follow you! I can't be without you!"

"No...! Stay... Because I love you..." were the last words his mate got to say before he went still for a few minutes until again he let out one amazing scream of pain that sent the birds flying from the tree tops, before there was nothing more.



Youko, who had thought his mate dead and had been grieving beside the pit, was startled by the out burst. What had happened? Did the poison paralyze him up until his death? How very sick!

Snarling, he shifted back into his fox form and dropped the goods before giving his mate one last glance as he was feeling his youki dissipate finally signaling he was no longer there. Before he had suspected his mate's youki remained there for a moment because he was there and his mate was not ready to leave, and had thought nothing of it. Now he knew that wasn't the case. His mate had been alive.

He had suffered.

Now the humans would pay.

Flashes to another scene:

He couldn't believe what he had gotten himself into by allowing his grief and anger to control him. He had allowed himself to be caught in the human's contraption. His paws had been caught in a trap that was meant for hunting and capturing large rodents and foxes as himself. Now he had to escape somehow.

Growling as the humans drew closer laughing at him, he started to bite at the paw which was captured. He knew he could re-grow it in a few month's time but it was now a life-or-death-situation. Shifting into his other human form was an option but it would just mean the trap would tighten on him.

"What is the matter fox? Can't get loose?" one of them jeered.

Youko Kurama snapped at the weapons now pointed at him before biting harder at his leg ripping the flesh from it. It was painful but it couldn't compare to the pain he would feel later if he were captured and tortured; possibly skinned for his silver coat and many beautiful tails. Knowing how bad these humans were already, he was sure if he were skinned, he'd be alive when it happened!

Hissing as he crushed the bone and finally releasing his bleeding leg, he went for the attack. Ripping apart the throats of his mate's killers he panted and turned just as a large javelin flew at him striking him through the chest grazing his heart.

Releasing a howl of pain he felt the javelin ripped from his body again by the human who had thrown it. Before the attacker could throw it again he made a mad dash for safety. He knew this injury could be deadly and he needed to find a place to hide and maybe heal himself or die trying.

Running for the thick forest he knew he had the plants on his side. They would kill any who entered to harm him. He found a large cave that was connected to his caves and maze of tunnels underground. There he stopped to rest, shifting to his humanoid form

"Damn..." he cursed. He was not going to make it. "I'm going to need to get to another being. I need to be reborn to gain my strength and come back and kill them shits for what they have done."

Getting up, he stood to form himself into a blue-red orb. He would sacrifice this body into another and be reborn. Youko Kurama headed to the portal leading to the human realm. This human realm was oblivious to the spirit world and therefore relatively safe. He knew no one would ever come to find him there.

As he approached the portal he couldn't help but give a cry of anguish at what had happened that night. His mate... gone... "KURONUE...!" he cried out his soul mate's name finally, as he shot into the human realm and sought out his host that would create him a new form...

Morning:

Suichi woke in sweat as his body shook from the dream. It was almost the same dream but less intense. Usually it was the death of his late mate replayed, not what had happened before and after his death, though, Kurama knew already what had happened.

Suddenly the familiar pain shot into his heart as it always did as he woke from the dream. It was not the pain from the wound of the Javelin throw; it was the pain of the loss. "It was just a dream," Kurama told himself, shaking it off slowly.

Clutching his heart for a moment, he then flipped the sheets over and slipped into the green towel folded neatly on top of his TV. He wrapped it around his waist and went to shower. It would be a new day and full of many surprises.


A/n: I came up with the corny title, Lol. Soul mates sound good? Well I hope you enjoy the prologue. Expect chapter 1 to be out later. I need to finish the chapter 22 of: The sun and the moon and Chapter 10 of Dear brother before I start 1 of Soul mates. Not to worry though it will be done soon enough. ^_^.
Sign up to rate and review this story