Categories > Books > Outsiders > Running In The Dark

Prologue

by MisoSoop 2 reviews

Dallas wakes up in an unfamiliar place, where two girls reveal to him some unbelievable things.

Category: Outsiders - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Fantasy - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2006-10-15 - Updated: 2006-10-15 - 541 words

4Original
Running in the Dark


Prologue


"Are you sure that's him?"

"I'm almost positive. I mean, really, where else have you seen hair that bright?"

"Why hasn't he woken up yet? Do you think he's still alive back there? Maybe he's only in a coma! We can't wake him up, we'd kill him! He's only half way here!"

"No, wait, look. He twitched."

The two girls crouched lower, watching the boy as his hand twitched slightly. They really wanted him to wake up so they could get him off the ground. They had places to be too.

"Come on, you can get up faster than that. You aren't handicapped."

He groaned and opened his eyes, which were a cold blue, and glared at them. "Where am I?" he snapped. It wasn't as threatning as it should have been. His voice was surprisingly weak.

"Well, maybe if you weren't so snappy I'd tell you. I mean, really, you could be nicer. We don't have to tell you."

He looked up at her, surprised. Apparently, he wasn't used to people arguing with him. But his glare soon hardened. "I didn't ask you for your help to begin with. You were the ones hovering over me in the first place," He said bitterly, sitting up and rubbing his head.

"We try to help all the new people here. The faster they're up and running, the faster they can do their job," the other girl explained. She had a heart shaped face, which was framed by light brown hair. At least, some of her hair. The only part framing her face was her bangs, which were long, near her chin. The rest was pulled back in what he guessed was a bun. She had gray eyes and her skin was pale, though there was a healthy blush in her cheeks. He, however, noticed her lips and her chest.

"Well," he began, a mischevious smile crossing his face. "Maybe you can help me. I've been a bit lonely and since you seem so willing maybe we could have a private talk," he suggested, leaning toward her and touching her leg. She moved her leg, her face red.
'Man, if she ain't a breeze....'

"Don't talk that way to her!" The first girl snapped. Her face was more rounded and was framed by springy, sandy blonde curls. The color reminded him of Soda's hair. She was darker than her friend as if she got outside more than her. Her eyes were hazel and round, contrasting her friend almost perfectly. "We aren't like that. Now, are you Dallas Winston or not?"

He smirked and watched the blushing girl as he answered. "Who want's to know?"

"Obviously, I do."

"Yeah, I'm him. Why do ya need to know? Meetin' me some dream of your's? Who are you anyway?"

"The one you were trying to get some action with is Leann. I'm Julie. Now get up, you have a job to do."

"Nah, I gotta get back to the gang," Dallas said, standing up and dusting his jacket off.

"Dallas," Leann began quietly. Dallas shivered slightly; He wouldn't mind her saying his name somewhere else. "I'm not sure how I can tell you in an easy way...but-"

"You're dead, Dallas."
Sign up to rate and review this story