Categories > Movies > Star Wars > Keep Falling Down

End of Time

by agentjedi 0 reviews

Anakin faces reality as his Vision brings him closer to the Dark Side.

Category: Star Wars - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama - Characters: Amidala, Anakin, Obi-Wan - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2006-12-08 - Updated: 2006-12-09 - 2237 words

0Unrated
PART 4 - End of Time

Exiting the Council chambers, Anakin followed Obi-Wan out into the reception hall and found himself up against a giant wall of fur. A demanding roar issued from the creature, something about a great devastation of his people. Anakin looked up in surprise. Certainly, he had seen Wookiees before, but somehow this one was familiar.

"Calm, you must be, Chewbacca," Master Yoda commanded the beast as he came out behind Anakin, undaunted by the fact that the Wookiee towered over him by two meters.

Chewbacca. Friend and first mate to Han Solo. Fear gripped Anakin in a way that even the nightmare about Padmé had not. These names were from his Dark Vision.

"Your concerns the Jedi Council will address," Yoda assured him. "Your loss our loss is."

Chewbacca hung his head low and followed the venerated Jedi Master into the Council chambers, and for a moment, Anakin irrationally feared the Wookiee would recognise him. With barely a glance, Chewbacca scarcely noted Anakin's presence and moaned dejectedly as he brushed past him.

As Obi-Wan took Anakin by the elbow to lead him away, the young Jedi looked over his shoulder through the closing doors at the Wookiee standing in the centre of the Council circle. He looked as forlorn and lost as he had on Bespin when Han Solo had emerged from the carbonite chamber.

No, that didn't happen, Anakin tried to convince himself as his boots lead him to the turbolift.

But what if it had?

The doors of the turbolift closed, and Obi-Wan spoke with hushed tones into his comlink. Anakin stood beside him, lost in his own fears.

When he had awoken the night previous, Anakin had found himself in what he thought was his past, his wife and former Jedi Master at the foot of his bed, the bed he had shared with Padmé. Anakin's last thoughts were not of fighting against Sidious beside Mace, but of dying in his son's arms aboard the /Death Star II/. The fight with Mace and Sidious was over two decades ago in his mind. And it ended badly. Indecisive, Anakin had finally chosen what he believed was the lesser of two evils-remove Mace for Palpatine, and the Chancellor would provide a way to save Padmé from his dream-vision of her demise.

Last night, Anakin discovered he hadn't thrown Mace out the Chancellor's parapet, but Darth Sidious-his friend, Chancellor Palpatine. His friend who had never revealed the secret of manipulating midi-chlorians as he had promised. His friend who had asked him to kill the Jedi in order to stop the corruption spreading across the galaxy. His friend who had pulled Anakin's reins, drawing him back into deceitful slavery. His friend who had tried to murder his son.

Anakin and Obi-Wan were joined by four more Jedi as they exited the turbolift. They made their way as one unit to the landing bay and hailed an airbus to take them to Amidala's private apartments.

Anakin glanced at the man sitting beside him. Obi-Wan kept his own thoughts wrapped around him like a cloak. He had sensed Anakin's gaze, but refused to return it. The same painful dagger that Anakin had felt while growing up under this man's tutelage pierced his heart once more. Every fibre of his being wanted nothing more than Obi-Wan's twinkling gaze to shine down on him and tell him how proud he was of Anakin. Now Anakin knew it would never be.

Staring at his hands in his lap-one real, the other artificial-Anakin felt bereft in a sea of strangers. Now that Palpatine was gone-by his own hand, it seemed-he had no one in which to confide.

Silence stretched on as the Jedi exited the airbus on the lower security level of the apartment complex. Already known to the security officers of the building, Obi-Wan gave a brief nod, and they were allowed to pass to the turbolift. Anakin felt as if feathered creatures were uncurling in his belly, just like it had the first time he rode a lift like this to Padmé's apartment with his master three years before. Only this time it wasn't nervousness at seeing Padmé again, but fear for her future.

"Obi-Wan," Anakin's voice sounded distant, although the two men stood side-by-side in the lift crowded with Jedi.

The older man looked up into the dark stormy blue eyes of his former apprentice. It was eerily quiet for so many bodies presently crushed in a such small space. "Yes?" replied Obi-Wan, breaking the silence.

Anakin continued in hushed tones, "When I fought Sidious...I...I had a vision."

"A vision?" Obi-Wan parroted.

Absently, Anakin nodded. "In my dream...when I saw Padmé...die...there was only one child. But...in the vision...there were two."

Obi-Wan waited, knowing Anakin had more to say.

"Padmé wanted the sex of our child to be a surprise. I...have never looked." Anakin's eyes shifted to his boots.

Obi-Wan glanced at a fellow Jedi standing to his right who politely kept his eyes forward, giving the air that he wasn't listening to the private conversation. Returning his attention to Anakin, he waited for the younger man to speak again.

"Please," Anakin barely breathed above a whisper. "I need to know."

"If she allows it." Obi-Wan made no promise with his answer, breaking eye contact with Anakin. The older Jedi wondered if his former padawan's sanity would hinge on knowing.



Anakin approached the door. Hesitating, he glanced back at Obi-Wan. The older Jedi's stern eyes met Anakin's. Blue eyes met with blue, Anakin pleading like a child, Obi-Wan not able to relent. With a sharp breath, Anakin turned back to the door and requested entry.

"May I inquire who is calling on Senator Amidala?" came the protocol droid's pleasant lilt from the comm panel.

"Threepio, it's me," Anakin spoke with layers of emotion held in check.

The door opened, and Threepio turned away to delightfully announce, "Mistress! Thank goodness, it is only Master Anakin!"

Anakin stepped through the doorway to find Padmé and her handmaiden struggling to get her to stand. Dormé held a robe, and they were obviously trying to hide Padmé's condition.

Threepio turned back to shut the door to discover that behind Anakin, Obi-Wan entered along with several other Jedi. "Oh, dear!"

"Ani!" Padmé exclaimed happily, her back still half-turned away from the door. To Anakin, the smile on her lips appeared to brighten the whole room. With deep sadness in his heart, he couldn't return it, especially as she continued to turn, and her eyes fell upon Obi-Wan. The luminescence faded, Padmé eyes turning to rust as a dark fear entered her. "Oh, Ani...."

Dormé moved away, her head bowed with shame that she had failed to protect her lady from this humiliation.

With long purposeful strides, Anakin moved to stand directly before Padmé, every part of him yearning to scoop his wife into his arms, dash out the patio, and leap off the precipice.

Yet another mistake he knew would cost him if he gave into the impulse.

Anakin stood still before her, trying to memorise every part of her: her heart, her soul, the way her aura felt in the Force, the way her energy would respond to his when he was near.

Obi-Wan slowly walked across the stately apartment, his eyes filled with sadness as he regarded the two lovers. Anakin felt Obi-Wan's presence push gently through the Force. Anakin glanced at his master once again, the plea lingering in his eyes. Steel-grey eyes met the storm-restless eyes of the sky, and Anakin knew there would be no reprieve. He stepped aside.

Obi-Wan bowed his head and stood in front of Padmé. Her hands instinctively flew to her abdomen, as if somehow she could protect the life within her with will alone. Raising his gaze, he addressed her softly, "Senator.... Padmé." He lifted his hands, but stopped from making actual contact with her. "May I?" he requested.

Padmé turned her dark eyes to look up at her husband who gazed sullenly at Obi-Wan's boots. Feeling her eyes upon him, Anakin nodded to indicate it would be okay, his glance mournful.

She turned back to the Jedi Master, her eyes betraying her fear and worry, but her hands fell to her sides, allowing him to touch her.

Obi-Wan's hands softly pressed against Padmé's belly. He closed his eyes, reaching through the Force to feel the individual energy of the life within. His eyes flew open with a sharp inward take of breath. His gaze met Padmé's again, then as he removed his hands and with a slight turn, Anakin's. The two men regarded each other momentarily before the older one spoke.

"Twins."

Padmé looked confusedly between the Jedi men before her. "How...is that possible? Anakin...?"

Obi-Wan placed a hand on her shoulder. "Senator Amidala, you will need to come with us."



The Jedi hadn't let Padmé and her entourage fretter over what items to bring with them. Brought up from near birth at the Jedi Temple, they hadn't the concept of possessions. Anakin smirked at his wife's one true vice-her collection of clothing and costumes. In the end, she was forced to do without. Only three items were allowed her, leaving her flustered and out-of-sorts.

She used her anger as a wall between herself and her husband. His mind butted up against it when he pressed his thoughts against hers. Anakin realised he should have taken a private moment with her when he had the opportunity. Or perhaps this was best. Pending the Council's decision, he had no idea if he would be allowed to see his angel again. If Padmé survived, Anakin never wanted her to think it was the Jedi who had forced them apart. Let her think it was him and him alone.

Anakin stood in the expansive hall just outside the medcentre where Padmé, Dormé, and Threepio had been taken. One of the Jedi who had escorted them remained with Anakin a short distance away. Anakin vaguely remembered him-a Sabre-Master. The flowing white-haired man was teacher to the Initiates. Anakin's only memory of their acquaintance seemed to be of them fighting-right here, Anakin mused-where the Sabre-Master looked up at him in a fear he had likely not expressed since his own days as a padawan. The fear had remained etched on the older man's face as the creature Anakin had become cut him down with his sabre.

Wrapped in his dark thoughts, Anakin watched a bird take flight outside the towering transparisteel window that looked out over the eastern horizon of Coruscant.

A gentle hand touched Anakin's sleeve.

Anakin turned, a frown of irritation piercing his brow. Obi-Wan's shimmering eyes looked up with sadness and whatever was left of his compassion.

"I thought...you would like a moment to speak to your wife alone."

Anakin regarded Obi-Wan with some confusion and trepidation. Why would he do this? Did the Council already contact him and tell him of their decision? Anakin considered refusing Obi-Wan's offer, but thought better of it. He acquiesced with a slight nod.



Padmé turned when she heard the door open. Seeing Anakin standing in the door frame, her eyes flashed fire before she turned back to the Coruscant cityscape.

"I thought you wanted this out in the open," Anakin whispered tightly.

"Not like this!" she hissed, glaring at his reflection in the transparisteel.

Anakin hung his head low. It seemed no matter what he did, things only got worse.

Padmé lifted off the ground as an unseen hand shook her like a leaf in the wind. Her hands clasped her delicate neck, though there was nothing she could do to remove the crushing force that stole away her breath of life.

Anakin waved his hand, and tossed her aside like a broken toy.

No, Anakin realised, it could be worse. A lot worse.

He ventured another step toward her. Sensing Padmé tense at his approach, he stopped, his piercing eyes gazing at her with longing and sorrow.

"It's the dream, isn't it?" Padmé's voice was barely audible.

"Yes," Anakin's voice cracked.

Protectively, Padmé's hands rubbed her abdomen, her brown eyes filled with worry and fear. "What-what's wrong with the baby?"

Anakin closed the gap between them and took one of her hands from behind, turning her gently to face him. "Nothing. The baby...the children...they're fine."

Worry creased Padmé's brow as she met Anakin's gaze. She didn't need to have Force sensitivity to know he was holding back. "Then why-? !"

Anakin wrapped his broad arms around the tiny frame of his wife protectively. Pressing his mouth to her cheek, he sobbed, "I'm sorry, Padmé. So sorry. Please...forgive me."

"Anakin...you're scaring me!"

Anakin pushed back from her to look at her beautiful angelic face. He suddenly realised the few years of their secretive marriage, the war, and constant worry had significantly aged her. His gloved hand traced her cheek, wishing he could remove the lines of fear and tragedy from her face. "Please, Padmé," he spoke again, his voice soft and low, "know that what I've done, it was meant for you. I love you, Padmé."

Anakin drew her close for one last kiss. She placed her hands on his chest and gently pushed him away. Her dark eyes pierced his soul. "What, Anakin? What did you do?"
Sign up to rate and review this story