Categories > Books > Harry Potter > What Now, Severus?

The Drama

by Emilie_D 1 review

What happens next.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Romance - Characters: Snape - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2006-12-10 - Updated: 2006-12-10 - 2917 words - Complete

1Exciting
Bellatrix Lestrange was having a completely unfortunate day. The attack on the Ministry was a disaster, but she could not understand how that could be. It was carefully planned, her choice of Polyjuice victims had been inspired and their entrance had gone flawlessly. She walked slowly and relived the attack in her mind, trying to see where it had gone wrong.

They had Flooed into the Atrium and overtaken the security guards. Then the Dark Lord, who needed no Polyjuice, merely the will to enter, Apparated in, went to the repaired Fountain of Magical Brethren and began Summoning his Inferi to enter through the enchanted waters. All had been perfect until that point. Then she had sent the Polyjuiced Death Eaters to the lifts, with instructions to destroy the Department of Magical Law Enforcement and kill any Aurors present. Next they were to attack and kill Rufus Scrimgeour. It should have been quick, but after fifteen minutes no one had returned.

Suddenly a fireplace flared up and the real Cornelius Fudge arrived in the Atrium. Bellatrix had performed the Avada Kedavra flawlessly before he even realized the Ministry had been invaded. His plump body fell to the ground next to the gilded fireplace with a soft thud.

"Master, we had a guest," she shrieked nervously.

Lord Voldemort turned and saw the corpse of the former Minister of Magic and gave a high cackle of glee. He now had forty Inferi around him, and was prepared to direct them.

"Bella, where are my Death Eaters? They should have returned by now," he hissed. "I must go to Hogwarts while you finish here."

"I'll go," said Bellatrix, her stomach sinking apprehensively. "I'll make them sorry they wasted your time, Master." She headed for the nearest lift.

But when the doors opened, Voldemort slipped in next to her and they were on their way, leaving forty Inferi standing motionless to await their return.

No sooner did the lift doors close than many more opened and a cloaked wizard stepped out of each. A few halted upon seeing the Inferi, but two stepped forward without hesitation. One waved his arm, sending a rope of flame swirling around the motionless Inferi. The things began struggling, crashing against each other to avoid the heat.

"/Incendio/!" Arthur Weasley's voice rang out, causing several Inferi near him to begin to burn.

The other cloaked Ministry defenders began attacking more of the Inferi. The Atrium filled with the most horrible smoke imaginable, causing the living to choke and gag. They were not aware that one of their number was attacked until a green bolt of light struck him and he dropped to the floor.

"Dawlish!" roared the first cloaked defender, realizing what had happened. He was flabbergasted to see Lord Voldemort, cackling with mad laughter, standing over the body. Without missing a beat, he began shooting hexes at the enemy, which rebounded off him harmlessly. Voldemort blasted the wizard brutally against the wall behind him, where he sank to the ground.

Voldemort laughed again. Bellatrix was torturing another cloaked figure with the Cruciatus Curse, making the other defenders lose focus, and six or seven Inferi that had not been destroyed began attacking everyone. A defender turned on the mad witch and his hex flung her to the ground hard.

A lift door opened and Fenrir Greyback raced out. "It was a trap! They're all dead but me," he screamed furiously. He turned to attack one of the enemies, but a bony white hand clutched his arm.

Voldemort used his wand to Summon Bellatrix. He sank his fingers mercilessly into her shoulder and hissed, "We shall speak of this later."

Bella had one last chance, so she flung a curse at the defender who had attacked her. He flew backwards, his hood fell back and she saw Arthur Weasley lying motionless on the floor. She gave a scream of glee at the sight, seeing that Inferi were still viciously attacking anyone that moved. Then she was Apparated away.

Bella was filled with wrath and began storming through the Forbidden Forest. It was inconceivable! She had no idea what had happened. Her only consolation was that Snape was faring no better. This day was a disaster for him as well. She wondered where the ugly, arrogant bastard was. Probably hiding, until others won the day, so he could take the credit. She had lost her pursuer, and the werewolf too. She had no idea where she should go, but finally thought she should go to the school. Undoubtedly she would find the Dark Lord there and he would tell her what she should do next. She changed direction and began stalking angrily toward Hogwarts Castle. Rage continued building in her as she went.


&&&&&&&&&


Minerva McGonagall was not a fanciful woman, but she had a very bad feeling about what they were approaching. She rarely entered the Forbidden Forest, but was aware of the dangerous creatures that lived deep within it. The fact that she had not seen any Acromantulas worried her deeply, for she knew she was passing near their range.

"What is it?" asked Kingsley.

"Nothing," she said grimly. "But stay alert."

"Always," he said lightly.

The silence grew heavy around them and they could feel the ancient magic of the Forest, here where humans rarely walked.

"Do you think we're going the right way?" he whispered, as the smothering power of the place affected him.

"Yes," she hissed faintly. "Can you feel it? I cannot imagine what we're approaching, but this has to be their destination."

"Constant vigilance," he muttered mockingly.

She smiled wryly, and then they moved forward, more cautiously than before. After ten more minutes she stopped dead and laid a hand on Kingsley's arm.

They were looking at a small stone house, built against a tall, ancient wall that was not visible from outside the grounds of Hogwarts. Minerva's mind flashed irrelevantly to a quote from a famous Muggle. 'A riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma...' The man had not been speaking of the Forbidden Forest, but the description fit perfect, she thought. They could not see the door, so they must be approaching it from the back.

Kingsley recognized the place from the descriptions he had heard. He put a hand on Minerva's arm and pulled her behind a huge tree trunk. No sooner were they out of sight than they heard stealthy footsteps coming around the house.


&&&&&&&&&


Harry was remarkably calm. He was wielding his Occlumency with more power than he had ever managed before, with his mind coolly detached from his emotions. He needed this, since periodically he felt Voldemort press against his conscious mind with immense hostility. The enemy was determined to plunder his thoughts and plans, but Harry was equally determined. He had withdrawn from every thought of happiness, from every memory of those he loved and concentrated only on what must be done. He was aware of Ron and Professor Snape, but that too was buried deep, a bare hint of comfort that he wasn't alone.

Ron felt numb, walking by his friend's side on this ancient road. He knew they would likely die this day, but he felt remarkably detached from that reality. He was grateful that Hermione wasn't with them, however. They were on the broad ancient road to the gatehouse where Harry had nearly been killed, so he knew the level of danger they would face.

Harry stopped suddenly, putting his hands out to halt his companions. The house that had held the Horcrux stood before them, looking as though nothing had happened.

"Who closed the door?" hissed Ron faintly. "We didn't."

Snape's senses, honed by years of contact with Voldemort, told him that the Dark Lord had not yet arrived. "It is the enchantment on the house. He is not yet here," he breathed.

"Thanks," said Ron, grateful to know. "Do we have a plan?" he whispered.

"Close your mind, Weasley," said Snape, barely audible.

Ron nodded. He became serious, and his face also lost expression. Out of the corner of his eye he saw movement behind the house. Without moving, he gestured to Snape with his eyes.

The black eyes flashed piercingly in that direction and widened slightly. "It is not the enemy," he murmured. "Come."

The black-cloaked wizard strode quickly around the ancient house, followed by the boys. Minerva and Kingsley showed themselves.

"Disillusion yourselves and get behind the tree again," hissed Snape. He turned and tapped his wand, first on Ron's head, then Harry's.

"What about you, Severus?" Minerva's voice asked softly.

"He expects me, I believe." Snape said. "Time is short. Whatever happens, he must not be allowed to leave the Forest this day."

"We're ready," said Kingsley in a soft, deadly voice.

"I shall confront him," Snape continued levelly. "If he is holding... /something/, I shall attempt to destroy it. If I fail, you must do it, and then it will be Potter's turn."

"Very well," replied Minerva expressionlessly.

"Kingsley," whispered Ron. "We saw on the Map that Ginny and Zelda are here. If you get away from here, find them and help them."

"Bloody hell," groaned the Auror. "I promise you, all of you, we'll all do what we can."

"No more talk," Snape whispered harshly. "Do not think of it now."

A rustling came from the same direction that Minerva and Kingsley had come from, and Remus Lupin lurched into sight. His shoulder was a bloody mess, clothing torn and a bleeding wound on it.

Snape rolled his eyes disgustedly. "Lupin," he whispered.

"What have you done to the others?" snarled the furious werewolf. "I knew you weren't to be trusted."

Minerva removed the Disillusionment Charm. "Stop it /at once/!" she snapped. "We are here and the enemy will be here at any time."

"Look at the Map!' said Ron. "It'll tell us where he is."

Lupin hastily pulled the Map from his shabby robes and tapped it with his wand.

"You look, Minerva," said Snape. If he saw Zelda on it, he would assuredly go mad, he thought wretchedly.

Minerva saw his instant of weakness and moved to protect him. "I shall look." She spared a glance to see that Zelda and Ginny were with Firenze, before looking for Voldemort. "He is coming from there," she said, pointing into the trees. She looked again for Zelda and realized that the Malfoys were nearby, and that Bellatrix Lestrange was coming up behind them. She merely said, "Severus, Firenze is with them."

"Thank you," he said coldly.

She was not deceived, however. She said abruptly, "We have only a moment. Remus, Disillusion yourself. The enemy must not leave the grounds of Hogwarts this day. If you will not support Harry and Severus, then hide yourself."

"/I will always support Harry/," he growled.

"Then support Professor Snape," Harry's voice said firmly. "I can't do this without him."

Lupin snatched the Map and looked at it, seeing how many of them were there, and while still disgruntled at their attitude toward Snape, he was reassured. He slid behind another tree and Disillusioned himself.

Just in time, Snape pulled the hood of his cloak over his head and went to stand in front of the door of the gatehouse. He pulled his wand into his sleeve, so it would be accessible

Lord Voldemort appeared through the trees and fixed his eyes on the lone wizard. "Well, Severus, I am surprised to see you here. Is the castle under our control then?" The red eyes fixed on Snape's black ones, searching as he strode closer.

"I hope so, Master," Snape said coldly. "However, things did not go according to my plan. A cynical man might believe that you wished me to fail."

The watchers, hidden safely away, watched fascinated. Snape seemed a different person, cold and unafraid, challenging the madman.

Lord Voldemort said coolly, "I had thought that our interests are one, my faithful servant."

"I expected that you would fulfill your promise to come to us," Snape said mildly. "Why have you come here instead of coming to our aid at the castle?

"/Crucio/!" hissed Voldemort.

When Snape was blasted to the ground, Harry started forward impulsively, but Ron grabbed Harry's arm to hold him back. "Wait," he breathed. "You're the last."

Harry stared in horror as Snape writhed on the ground before Voldemort, while the madman shouted with high laughter. "You are a fool, no better than the others," he hissed. "I have long needed to collect something hidden here and you provided me with the distraction I needed. See this and know why you will never be my equal, pitiful half-blood."

Snape, wracked with the familiar, agonizing pain, tried to focus on his tormentor. In one white, bony hand the madman triumphantly held up something golden and gleaming. The torture went on and on. Soon he knew that his body would no longer effectively obey his mind. Ignoring the knowledge that this moment was the culminating one of his life, he slid his wand forward and pointed, aiming the strongest Blasting Curse of his life at the golden prize. His effort cost him his physical strength and his body immediately began to seize helplessly.

The Hufflepuff Goblet exploded in Voldemort's hand. The Order members were stunned to see the enemy still standing, with the torn stump of his arm gushing forth blood. The Cruciatus Curse had paused, but Harry realized that any second the next curse would end Snape's life.

"/Expelliarmus/!" roared Harry. He watched the Voldemort's wand fly in one direction, while his body flew backward and crashed against a tree.

Voldemort realized that this challenge to him was greater than any he had experienced since the first time he tried to kill the Potter brat. He stared stupidly for a split second at the ruin of his hand and then blindly he Summoned his wand.

But the Dark Lord's wand had landed nearly at Ron Weasley's feet, and the young man took his chance. "/Incendio/!" he snarled.

The wand burst into flame and flew to its master burning brightly.

Kingsley knew that Voldemort must not be allowed to get that wand. He aimed a Blasting Curse as it flew through the air, and the blazing wand exploded in Voldemort's face. "/Incarcero/," he said grimly.

The ropes that wound around Voldemort shone like metal, but held him only briefly before harmlessly falling to the ground. He stood up, his red eyes blazing with fury and headed for where Snape lay on the ground. Come what may, he would have his revenge on the sorry traitor.

Snape lay on the ground. His body, too wracked to stand up, refused to obey his mind. He gripped his wand feebly, preparing to try one last defense, and stared challengingly into the red eyes.

"Traitor!" hissed Voldemort, as he raised his hand. "I shall return, but you, wretch, are going to DIE!"

Severus Snape sneered defiantly and waited for death, but before he could attempt a last curse, something amazing happened.

Voldemort's body exploded backward and shattered. Bits of flaming flesh, bone and a red mist filled the air. Snape's eyes widened in shock, but when he tried hastily to stand, blinding pain wiped out his consciousness and he collapsed.

One by one the Order members stepped out of the trees and removed the Disillusionment Charm. They were all in shock, realizing that Lord Voldemort was actually dead. They looked at each other in disbelief.

Harry ran to where Snape lay on the ground and fell to his knees. "Don't die... please don't die, Professor," he moaned grimly. The wizard's face was slightly grey and his wand had fallen to the ground from his limp hand. He was gaunt and haggard, and the young man saw for the first time that Severus Snape, such an imposing presence in his life, was merely a thin man of only average height. He seemed shockingly fragile, lying unconscious on the ground.

The rest of the group surrounded the two, and Ron dropped to his knees next to Harry. Kingsley joined them, placing a hand on Snape's neck.

"There's a pulse," he said reassuringly. "But we need to get him out of here, fast."

Minerva Conjured a stretcher and they carefully fastened the unconscious Snape to it. Harry gently closed the thin hand around his wand, wishing desperately that those cold black eyes would open and see him.

Lupin had opened the Map, hoping to learn what was happening to Tonks and Moody. "We must return to the castle at once. About a dozen people are converging near the edge of the Forest. Ginny's headed there, and Moody, Bellatrix, the Malfoys, Tonks, Firenze and the Zelda woman that Moody was talking about."

Minerva stared in horror at Kingsley. "Will you go?" she asked.

"I'm on it," he said reassuringly.

"I'm going too," said Harry. "Take care of Professor Snape." His green eyes bored challengingly into Remus Lupin's.

"We will, Harry," Lupin said resignedly. "Do what you must. Snape will be safe."

Kingsley began to jog rapidly, with Harry and Ron directly behind him.

"You too, Ron?" asked the Auror. He was breathing easily as he ran, looking amazingly strong.

"Ginny's there," said Ron. "And we can't let anything happen to Zelda. She too amazing, and besides, Snape will hex us into oblivion if she's... hurt."

"Good point," replied Kingsley. He picked up the pace slightly and the boys matched him, stride for stride.
Sign up to rate and review this story