Categories > TV > Buffy the Vampire Slayer > Ordinary Lives

18

by strange1 0 reviews

AU No hellmouth, slayer, witches. The gang are ordinary high school students. Some have grown up together. Others are new to Sunnydale. What kind of adventures will the gang have?

Category: Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama - Characters: Angel, Anya, Buffy, Cordelia, Faith, Giles, Jenny Calendar, Joyce Summers, Oz, Spike, Tara, Wesley, Willow, Xander - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2005-07-30 - Updated: 2005-07-30 - 2424 words

0Unrated
The week had seemed to fly by for everyone. Giles was making preparations for his niece's arrival at his home. Unfortunately she was still unable to walk and was in a wheelchair. The doctors still said that there is a chance with some physical therapy that she should be able to walk again. But his biggest struggle was that with his brother.
The Rosenbergs had decided to fight their daughter's decision to live with her uncle. They were going so far as to file papers and everything to prevent him from gaining custody. To everyone's shock, Giles had been rewarded temporary custody. Mostly thanks to how Xander recalled his childhood with his best friend and the lack of parental units being around.
Tara's father calmed down a bit. But he still refused to let her leave for too long of a time. After all, who would be there to take care of his wife? Donny was not as good as Tara. And cousin Beth was always out at night. So that left poor Tara still stuck at home. And of course, he did not approve of her relationship with Tara.
Giles was doing some investigating on that matter. Something just didn't feel right about the whole situation. For one, he suspected some type of abuse. Willow had shared the information that she had gotten off the internet to help confirm those very conclusions. But he felt that there was even more to the story. Something to do with Tara's mother, he was sure. But it was a matter of proving it. And that seemed rather difficult.
The news of Drusilla's death had sent shockwaves throughout the entire school. After all, Willow had just been severely injured and managed to survive, but not without a price. And now one of their own was gone.
None was taking it as hard as Spike, though. Angel was indeed upset and beside himself, but Spike was busy blaming himself for not seeing what was there. He should have done something and if he had she still might be alive now.
And because of the blame, he was now shutting himself off from everyone. Including one Buffy Summers. She could not understand why he was all of a sudden being so distant. And she could see that he was actually spending time with his big brother. That made no sense to her at all. This was beginning to be one big mess.
And Xander hadn't heard from Anya in the last week. She had just taken off on him with no word. It was the strangest thing. He had finally found a girl that he truly liked, maybe even loved, and she was gone. Life was so sucking at the moment.
**
The morning ritual was back in session. Willow and Tara sat next to each other in the library. They had no homework or anything of the likes, so they were just loving being with one another. Holding hands and all that fun stuff. Like kissing.
Giles was in his office with one Jenny Calendar. He turned around and handed her a cup of tea. "I'm terribly sorry that we haven't been able to spend much time together."
"And I'm sorry that your niece was in an accident." The computer teacher peered out at the loving couple who were laughing at some unknown joke between the two of them. "But she and Tara seem to be dealing all right with it."
Giles nodded. "Yes, well I think living with me has helped Willow a great deal. And from what I can gather, Tara's father has lessened his hold over her. But she still has to be the one to take care of her mother."
"That's really sad." She turned around and looked at the librarian. "And a lot of responsibility for someone so young."
"Yes, well. I will endeavor to help when I can." He sighed heavily. "In fact, I wish to do something without either of the girls knowing."
"Oh?" Jenny looked at him, a look of surprise on her face. "Anything that I can help you with?"
"I was hoping that you would offer your services." He blushed at the possible double meaning. "I meant with the computer area. I wish to do some research on the internet. But you know how bloody awful I am at that dread machine."
Jenny could not help but smile. "And you think just because we went on one date that I would help you do your dirty work? Is that it?"
"I, um, well.." Giles began to sputter.
"Relax. I'm just teasing you." She made her way to the other side of his desk. "This baby all set to go?" He simply nodded. "Well, now. You just tell me what exactly is it that you want me to look up and I'll let my fingers do the talking."
"I wish to find the medical records of Sarah Maclay." Jenny looked up at him in surprise. "I think that there is more to it than meets the eye."
***
In another part of the library, two others that were trying so desperately to make a connection were talking. Well, Winifred Burkle was putting away some volumes and Wesley Windom-Pryce was helping her to do so.
"So, have you any thoughts about a second date possibility?" he asked as he set a volume on the top shelf.
"You mean, you actually want a second date?" Fred looked at him with a surprised look.
"I'm terribly sorry if you were under the impression that I did not." He sighed. "I should not have waited so long to ask for a second date. But it just seems that there is so much going on around here. And now with Miss Diamond's death, we as the faculty will be needed even more for support."
Fred nodded as she made her way to the next bookcase. "I know. That was something that I didn't think would happen here. But I guess drugs are unfortunately everywhere these days."
"Quite." Wesley sighed heavily. He could not dare to tell her of his own struggles with illegal drugs. She may not think to highly of him, especially with some of the things that he had done in the past. "It is quite the tragedy. And asking for a date does seem a little on the morbid side."
"That's not what I meant." Fred put the book down that she had picked up. "It's just that, again, you're the only one I've ever dated. And I didn't think you wanted to date me again so I had pretty much given up hope with the whole you not asking me out and well not being popular and...."
She was interrupted by Wesley kissing her. At first she was surprised, but it wasn't long before she was kissing him back. "Terribly sorry about that. You are so irresistible when you babble like that my dear."
She looked at him, her cheeks were now bright red. But she was now smiling from ear to ear. "I didn't mind. In fact.." She leaned in and kissed him. "I can't wait for another date. Tomorrow night?"
Wesley could only nod. He hadn't been prepared for her to kiss him back. It was amazing. It was wonderful. And now he had a date with the woman of his dreams. "I better get to class. I'm looking forward to our date as well."
**
Faith walked up to find Oz at his locker talking to a strange girl. Strange in the sense that she did not go to Sunnydale high, but also with the familiar feeling that she had seen the girl somewhere before.
The girl kissed him on the cheek before turning and leaving. She felt all this anger and jealousy build up in her quickly as she made her way over to her boyfriend's locker. "Who was the leather clad groupie?"
Oz turned and looked at her, a half smile on his face. He could tell that she was jealous. "She's a friend. Goes to the private school. Has her own band."
Faith eyed him steadily. "And the kiss? Just a friendly peck goodbye I take it?"
The guitarist turned back to get a book out of his locker. "Yep." That was all he said.
Sighing heavily, trying to rid herself of all of her jealousy and anger, she moved in to give Oz a kiss which he gladly accepted. "Better be all she is, if you know what's good for you buddy."
A huge smile came across Oz's face. He knew that Faith had it bad for him. And that was cool. Because he had it very bad for her as well. "Got a surprise for you. After school."
Faith perked up immediately. "Surprise?" She waggled her eyebrows. "Gonna try and seduce me mister? 'Cause you really don't have to try all that hard, ya know."
This time, Oz chuckled softly to himself. His girl was definitely something else. And he loved her more and more each day. And today was the day that he was going to finally get to tell her that very fact. "You'll just have to wait and see. I'm sure that you'll like it."
Faith shrugged. "If it involves you, natch!" The two made their way to their classes holding hands all the way.
**
"You all right, man?" Xander looked up at the sound of the unfamiliar voice. It was Tara's big brother, Donny.
"Been better." He sighed heavily. This was getting strange. Now he was hanging out with someone that used to torture him in school every day. "Surprised you care."
"Ouch!" Donny winced at the comment. "But than, I deserve that and much more after the way that I treated you back in middle school. And the way that I treated Tara all her life."
Xander could not help but smile. "Yeah, well. People change. Sometimes for the good, sometimes for the bad. You seem to have for the good."
"Yeah, well." Donny shrugged. "Not sure if I'd go as far as to say good. But for the better anyways. So, what's up, man?"
"Well, it feel strange talking to you about this, but I haven't seen Anya in over a week. I have no clue as to where she is. And no one is at her home. I just don't get it."
"Wow! That is harsh." Donny shook his head. "You'd think the girl would at the very least think to tell you she's going somewhere. Wonder what she's thinking and all."
Xander shrugged. "Have no answers. Won't until she comes back." He sighed heavily. "So, how are things between Tara and her father? Any better?"
"Nah." Donny and Xander began walking to class. "He's still spouting 'you're going straight to hell because you have sinned with even having thoughts of be gay'. Moron. At least..." He trailed off. He didn't want to say the rest about the physical abuse that both were now enduring lessening.
"At least?" Xander turned to him. "You care to share the rest of that?"
"I'll just say that he's lightened up enough to let Tara actually leave the house from time to time." He laughed. "And you know where she spends all her free time."
"Yeah, your father simply loves that." Xander also laughed. "Why does life have to be so complicated?"
"You tell me." Donny stopped. "Well, this is my class. Hope things go better with you and your girl."
"Thanks." Xander watched him go into the classroom. He turned to go to his class and ran into a very familiar figure. "Anya? Where have you been?"
**
Spike and Buffy sat in total silence. It had been like this for the last week. They still met outside in the quad and sat next to each other, but they barely spoke anymore. Buffy looked up at her boyfriend. Something was so different about him, she could tell. But she just wasn't sure what it was.
"Spike?" She finally ventured. "Are you ever going to tell me what's wrong?"
"Hmm?" He didn't even look at her. He just continued to look ahead. It was as if he'd barely heard her. "Tell you what, luv?"
"Why you are acting so damn different." Buffy scooched away from him on the bench that they were sharing. "I'd just like to know that you can open up to me. I can handle anything you need to be handled."
Spike continued to stare into space. "It's nothing, love. I assure that it's nothing."
Buffy stood up quickly, making Spike finally snap out of his daze. "How in the hell can you say it's nothing? You won't talk to me. You don't talk to any of our friends. The only one I see you talking to is your brother. What the hell is that about?"
Spike stood up and took a couple steps towards her. She quickly pulled back from him. "I'm not bloody well going to hurt you. And what's wrong with a brother talking with his brother?"
Buffy began laughing. "Have you forgotten what he did to Willow?" Spike began to pale. "And Tara? At the dance. When you decked him. Does that ring any bells?"
"Oh, right." Spike shook his head. "Listen, let's just say that he has changed, all right. I think he's really sorry for all that he said and did. Isn't that enough?"
Again, Buffy was laughing. "Are you for real?" She shook her head. Spike tried to grab her arm. "Don't touch me." She gave him a look. "If you would even have thought to tell me all that's going on in that head of yours, I might just let you touch me again. But until than, consider us brokeup."
Spike watched as she ran off. He could not believe his ears. The girl of his dreams had just dumped him. And all because he could not open up to about what secret he and Angel were hiding. If anyone found out about the secret, there could be real trouble.
Now that Dru was gone, there was only one person that the law would hold responsible. After all, it was only his word that she had been the one driving the car.
"Bollocks!" Spike made his way to the student parking lot. "Screw school!" He hopped onto his motorcycle and peeled out of the driveway. Speed was not an issue. He would drive as fast and as long as he damned well pleased. No matter what the consequences were in the end.
Sign up to rate and review this story